Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

how well does this game run on a ps4 pro?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Last light redux doesn’t change much, only 2033 redux does since it copies improvements from the sequel back to the first game

That section might be stealthable in original 2033, maybe, but I’ve never been able to do it myself without having to kill everyone

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Original last light is definitely a better videogame to play than original 2033, but I greatly prefer 2033's general themes and story. I really enjoyed 2033's main antagonist just being nature as well as human nature, where your perceived enemies aren't really enemies at all and the final stretch of the game is a solitary desperate climb, compared to last light's introduction of a heavy-handed mustache-twirling villain and a michael bay scene of an ending (also the dark one narrating everything you do in the last few levels grated on me). khan's appearances in each game really frame their differences: he bookends the most surreal/mystical parts of each game but in 2033 his level is solemn and subdued while last light's is very in your face and exaggerated

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

does ranger mode disable manual saves entirely? I can't quicksave and apparently have to rely on the autosave for everything, which is extremely bad when it refuses to trigger for 20 minutes at a time, including after entering a safe house.

it also isn't feeling like enemies are actually any more fragile on ranger mode unlike in 2033 where it upped lethality across the board, not just for you. artyom feels like he's made of glass even more than on hard difficulty, but enemies still feel exactly as durable and survive anything that isn't a headshot. it's not feeling good so far but I really don't want to start over in the middle of the volga after how long the intro is.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

ended up sticking with ranger mode to the end. while there were a lot of frustrations with enemies seeing you in total darkness and begging the autosave to trigger after 25 minutes, it overall got a lot easier later on in the game and there's something of an inverse difficulty curve. the volga really is the roughest part of the game since you don't have weapon mods yet so your guns suck, there's water everywhere that ruins your guns, you're sandwiched between radiation and mutants and bandits with low supplies, and there's shrimp everywhere which never quite feel worth the ammo because who knows how many more there are but you can't ignore them because they kill you in 2 hits. in the caspian you get a car that's safe from mutants, the terrain is nicer and you're better equipped. and the last season of the game is a straight shot to the end with no big roadblocks.

Moved onto the two colonels (sans ranger mode) and it's not bad but it's a pretty skippable experience. pretty short, extremely on-rails with very little gameplay, and you mostly only have 1 weapon which is just point and shoot. Fills in a nice piece of the story around what happens in novosibirsk but there's 0 replay value here.

Sam's story is really good & I can give it a strong recommend. it's comparable to the taiga level in length and linearity, so a good portion of it is broadly linear but there's optional stuff, you can go at your own pace and aren't anchored to an NPC slowly walking in front of you, the 2 new weapons are fun, there's some memorable encounters, the scenery looks good, and it's just long enough to have a satisfying sense of progression getting the weapon mods and suit upgrades again. it's definitely less polished than exodus, with some weirdly empty buildings and a couple awkward encounters, but it's a solid experience overall and I could see myself playing through it again.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

the open sections are so curated and dense with interesting things to see and find that they really don't feel like "open world" content by other games' much more bland standards. I wish they had stuck to that formula and the open sections comprised more of the game, although the third and fourth chapters are very good in their own way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I don't recommend ranger hardcore. it removes your ability to save anywhere which means you have to rely on the autosave. except sometimes the game will autosave every 30 seconds, and sometimes it will not autosave for 30 minutes, making you go out of your way to find a bed to sleep in if you don't want to risk losing 30 minutes. Also, unlike the other metro games, it doesn't seem to have any effect on how fragile enemies are, only you. I never noticed enemies taking any fewer shots to kill on exodus' ranger hardcore compared to hardcore. It was disappointing compared to metro 2033 ranger mode.