Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

ymgve posted:

I feel like the exploration isn't balanced against the scarcity of resources. Like, you are basically punished for exploring because you often don't get more resources back than it cost in ammo for the enemies you encounter.

Is there a strong stealth system that can you can use to avoid enemies? Or is it usually just six dudes sitting on top of a crate?

1 & 2 worked well with the scarcity because of the tunnel design but open world, christ dudes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

This is a pretty awful Metro game but a pretty good STALKER game so I guess that it's a wash? The resource scarcity seems pretty well balanced so far, although I have been intentionally going during the day so I hit bandits rather than monsters because fighting monsters is always a losing proposition.

I do like the one soldier on the team that has a very clear Midwestern american accent though. NATO SPY

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Fallom posted:

The NPC conversations in this game all go on for an awkwardly long time. It's hilarious how often they'll get to a natural stopping point and then somehow keep going for another few minutes.

It gives the impression that Artyom is some sort of megastar and all these people are so star struck that they are just blabbing out whatever comes to mind. It's not that, and I usually walk away from convos, but it's fun to think of it that way.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

The more I play this the more I like it, and if this game fails it's due to its marketing more than the game itself.

"Open World Metro" sounded god-awful, but it's kind of a lie? Yes you get put onto largish maps that you cross aboveground and there are side objectives, but that isn't really what "open world" means in the modern age. It's more GTA types that take that now, which means a gigantic continuous map. Here it's far tighter, with the maps being more like levels than anything else, which plays well for this style of game.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Plus I like how the game gives you small upgrades frequently rather than doing some open world "Kill Six Bosses to Unlock" poo poo. It gives you the feeling that you are making progress by exploring, but also doesn't hit you so hard if you just go for the main story line since you might get an even better version soon.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Is it just me or are the NVG kind of useless? I have effectively used them once or twice but it feels like they get blown out if you see the light of a torch reflecting off some broken glass down a long hallways

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Noirex posted:

That last map is such a master craft of atmosphere, sound and tension. Wasn't really a fan of the desert map since it didn't feel very 'Metro' like, but what a way to end the game. Well worth the full price imo.

The spoiled map is where I am right now and eugh.

Tyrant with a focus on cars and gasoline in the middle of the desert? Sounds slightly familiar.