Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard

Gunder posted:

This is the first Metro game that I'm actually really enjoying, and holy gently caress does it look nice with raytracing enabled. It's kinda what I always wanted from the Stalker games.

I really hoped but still underestimated the amount of visual immersion Raytracing adds here. The 2080Ti pushes fps on Ultra settings and RTX on at 1440p way beyond 100 fps in some segments, so the feared brutal fps loss is not happening.
Funnily the internal Ultra Benchmark with RTX on at 1440p end with like 62 fps, but ingame fps are way higher, which is good.

The postapocalyptic atmosphere is great and Metro native. The open world outdoor stuff does not collide with the „theme“.

Oh and you want to play that on a SSD.

Mr.PayDay fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Feb 17, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
https://youtu.be/GfcNaB-cxZw

The 1440p internal Benchmark on Extreme preset (incl. gameworks on) with RTX Ultra hammers the 2080Ti down to 48 fps.
So „can it run Crysis“ should be buried now for this Metro Exodus Benchmark.

The Ultra preset leads to ~62 fps and ingame to 80-100 fps. On a 1K Euro GPU at 2560x1440 :sludgepal:

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004

Anti-Hero posted:

I’m mildly ashamed to admit I just submitted an EVGA step-up to go from a 2080 to a 2080Ti.

Metro with RTX on looks incredible and seriously adds something to the visual immersion and atmosphere, and the 2080Ti allows the biggest frame push here.

Depending on the game(+ gfx engine) and resolution, you generally might get a 25-35% fps boost, so that’s a hobby and an enthusiasms invest of disposable income.
No shame there to admit imo. YOLO and enjoy :yayclod:

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004

I said come in! posted:

I am just going to get Cyberpunk 2077 for console. I imagine the new consoles will be out by then though.

And look worse than the Pc RTX on / Raytracing variants :xd:

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004

I said come in! posted:

I would think the next consoles would have raytracing? :kiddo:

Where did you get that from?

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004

Lambert posted:

No, there's pretty much zero chance of PS5/Nextbox having useful ray tracing support. AMD doesn't have any ray tracing support right now, and even if they had, the performance impact on the 2080 Ti is immense. All I could imagine is some token feature for marketing reasons.

Lars Weinand, NVIDIAs highest rep in Germany and one of the Senior European Product Managers told last week that Sony and MS did not want to cooperate with Nvidia and AMD has no Raytracing tech for GPUs right now.
This will be entertaining because especially Metro Exodus proves that Global Illumination adds so much more realism and immersion.
Weinand felt it was a wrong business decision, of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004

Carecat posted:

Why is night time so bright? The game can do pitch black interiors but night is barely evening. Normally I dislike mods that made Skyrim pitch black but here you don't even need to use a flashlight and it's often actually harder to see things with night vision.

RTX on is the key here. Unironically.