Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

This game wasn't even on my radar until I stupidly watched a video showing the gameplay through early Volga last night after work... After watching it I bought it and stayed up too late playing and have just now gotten to the end of where I watched the video playthrough (Krest has joined and I'm about to head off to get a passenger carriage).

I'm terrible at this sort of game so playing on easy and have still died a bunch of times. When the mutant jumps you and you have to press "E" the game really wasn't clear whether I should be hammering it as fast as possible or holding it, so died a few times figuring that out.

In general having a great time and really enjoying the game though, and it's gorgeous. Getting some strange stuttering issues and can't get a framerate monitor or GPU usage monitor to work while it's running so switching to DX11 and will see if that fixes things. Playing at 3440x1440 on a 1080ti and while I don't know what the actual frame rate is, it's perfectly playable if I could get rid of the stuttering that starts up after an hour or so of playing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

haldolium posted:

I'm getting between 40 and 60 FPS on a 1080 @ 2560x1440 and "EXTREME" preset, MB turned "low" and that supersampling option at 1.0 at DX11.

I don't have "stuttering", but the sound crackles every now and then (which typically happens if an engines FPS drop very low). But FPS aren't affected in those moments. I just turned Discord off, since it lately caused a lot of similar issues and sadly doesn't work anymore without hardware acceleration.

The switch to DX11 was a winner. No stuttering, and with graphics mixed between high and ultra I'm getting 80+ fps running my ultrawide in 3440x1440. Game is pretty good even if I'm terrible at shooting. I need an ultra-quiet and accurate sniper rifle.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Evil Canadian posted:

No human enemies respawn.

This is not true. The bandit tower in the first area respawned when I went back there to use the zipline to go to the port to get my boat. It wasn't fully respawned, only like 4 or 5 guys, but there were definitely no breathing bandits in that area when I departed the first time.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

There’s only like 5 there the first time too.

Could have sworn there were more the first time, but you could certainly be right. I just felt like the 2nd time I expected more guys but there weren't any.

Found a gatling gun... not a fan. I think the AK is just straight up better in every way, but maybe the gatling has a use later in the game vs. very heavily armored targets (like the guy who I got the gatling from).

Speaking of which, how should I deal with that super heavy armored dude? He was a silly bullet sponge and I ended up killing him with fire (literally - molotov's) as from what I could tell, my bullets did nothing to him, and I tried aiming for what looked like unarmored spots like his face or the sides of his legs, but.. nada...

The lower price than I expected when I went to buy the game was a very pleasant surprise!

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

As a non PC gamer, can someone explain to me why people would rather wait a year to play a game they want, than use a different storefront? I can understand being annoyed by it but it sounds like a 2 minute inconvenience.

Stubbornness? I dunno, I had no particular issue with the Epic store, but I'd already signed up for it in order to pre-order The Division 2, so it really wasn't any harder than using Steam. I do know some people have been having payment issues with Epic not accepting their CC.

I'll admit it would be nice to have all my games in a single portal, but if I felt like it I think I could link this game to Steam so that it was in my Steam library anyway. I will say that I felt like the Epic download rate was slower than a typical Steam download rate, but I didn't really do a comparison at the same time so that could just be in my head.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Oh god the spiders in the dark...

Pro-tip for spider haters:

The incendiary rounds from your air gun are awesome and rule for these bastards

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

The visuals are fantastic. The thunderstorm in the distance in the first area, and then the dust storm on the horizon in the desert... just amazing. The fact that I can get 80fps+ sustained in the resolution I run is shocking to me, but I love it.

Raytracing would be awesome, but I'm not popping for a 2080 anytime soon.

Did get a nice gift that's unlikely to help with this game though (since the GPU is pinned at 100% while the i7-6700k has all cores running around 65%), I got a free i7-8700k with only a hundred or so hours on it (owner gifted it to me after upgrading to a 9900) so I ordered a new motherboard and going to upgrade to an M.2 SSD at the same time later this week or on the weekend.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

renzollama posted:

The problem with that approach is that in previous games you'd get dinged on 'moral points' for not listening to conversations, so now I'm super paranoid about it.

I lost a member of the team leaving the first area because earlier I might have sort of shot a guy in the head who had surrendered, so there was no peaceful 'exit' solution. I have no idea if that person would now be a member of the team on the train if I'd not killed that guy.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

I am so sad..

I finally got the parts to build myself a really decent (I think) sniper rifle.. 6x scope, long barrel with flash suppressor, 5 round mag, good stock for stability... Then before I ever get a chance to shoot it at even a single bad guy, I go and fall in the water and lose it (and everything else, except apparently my amazing flashlight and charger). I'm so sad now, except I have a crossbow which is cool. Then I had to call it a night to get some sleep before work...

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

Wait...Why would you lose your stuff from falling in the water? I think I've fallen into a lake like 20 times and never lost my stuff.

You will understand later. :v:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Fallom posted:

fyi you can go to the Options menu to change the QTEs so you only have to press the button once to complete them

you're welcome

What constitutes a QTE in this game? When a mutant jumps you and you have to hammer E a bunch of times? Or does it extend to things where you have to hold the key to open containers or what?

I got my stupid backpack back and rebuilt my sniper rifle.. It's as awesome as I was hoping, the sound is amazing, and with the 6x scope it really reaches out and touches people I don't like. The 2nd shot I took with it launched a pirates head about 20' in the air in an arc into the swamp... hell yea.. When I was going through the now absent of life camp, I found a rifle laying next to nothing except about 3/4 of an arm... muahaha...

I think the crossbow might be as good of a sniper rifle as the sniper rifle, but it's not nearly as awesome with sound and target effects.

I was so glad to get through that stupid pioneer camp where I wasn't supposed to kill anyone, as I got spotted very early on, and even camping out in a cave and waiting for over an entire day didn't take them off of high alert, so I had a hell of a time getting through that, and it took way too long, but I did manage it. Lots of dudes got punched in the face though.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

Why the hell does the game lock up the passenger car after you set off In Caspian? Been here an hour and still haven't found a safe house, and my prime workbench is right there but I can't use it because of reasons unknown. meanwhile I'm out of ammo and my guns are filthy cause theres a manimal every 3 feet.

Try poking around in the building next to your train.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

haldolium posted:

No you won't recover from that and would need to heal. Although except you might die faster, there is no real negative effect from being wounded. You can also sleep instead.

If you are a scrub playing on easy, you seem to heal rapidly out of combat.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

haldolium posted:

How many hours have you spend? I'm in autumn now, already clocking 24h due to going slow and enjoying the world.

How do you see your played time in Exodus?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Welp... guess my playtime will remain a mystery!

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

It never even occurred to me to feed the stupid fish that was trying to eat me while also eating a bunch of the mutants that wanted to eat me.

I guess I sort of fed it by luring the mutants out to where the great fish could nab them.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

So I'm stuck, and hoping someone here can help me.

I am in the city after the dam.

In the area after I split up from Miller where we were at the kid's base, I am in a burnt out room with a bunch of glowing mushrooms in the bottom level. There is a switch at the end of the room, but it won't open, and my way back is collapsed so I can't go back to restore power or whatever, and I cannot find another exit from this room. Help?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

haldolium posted:

the valve at the opposed side of where you dropped in is supposed to open the gate next to it. Did you fight the moles?

Fought the moles and killed them. Harvested all the mushrooms, then the lights went out and the valve doesn't do anything except make a noise when I try to turn it. I figured I needed to go find a generator to gas it up, but there's no way out of the room. Maybe this was some sort of stupid 'timed' challenge where I have to kill the moles and exit before the lights went out, if so I failed and now I'm hosed I guess.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Hub Cat posted:

If it's the room I'm thinking of you have to hold the use key on the valve instead of pressing or tapping. It took me forever to figure out.

I thought I had done that, but who knows. I reloaded the game and it worked first try, so maybe I was on drugs and just never did that?

So I finished the game, which is strange to me, as I never finish games. Worth the money and was great, but... I never finish games, so was either very engrossing or this was a very short game, and I thought I cleared every location of interest on each map.

Now I need to find that YT video showing both the good and bad endings to see which mine was, because... I thought it was pretty bad!

Edit: I officially got the bad ending. No clue why, unless the game doesn't allow a single mistake for the ending decision - I killed one guy who had surrendered in the first zone, and after that I don't think I ever killed anyone I shouldn't have, but oh well!

The Locator fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Feb 21, 2019

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Hub Cat posted:

Ending spoilers :Did all your teammates other than Miller live? Did you rescue/not kill the slaves in the desert? Did you kill any of the forest kids? The last level is absolutely amazing and I hope their bad marketing doesn't sink the franchise.

Nope, I lost a dude in the very first zone getting the train across the bridge. I assume because of my one kill on a surrendered guy which is when I discovered that mattered. I rescued the slaves. Forest kids... do they include the pirates or only the pioneers? I snuck my way through the pioneer village/outpost, but I murdered the gently caress out of the pirate encampment with my sniper rifle.

It was a pretty great game regardless of the ending I got!

Edit: In the forest kids area I also slaughtered everyone that moved (until they surrendered) in the very first part, because they were trying really hard to kill me when I hadn't done anything at all to them.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Feonir posted:

Also it is extremely simple to tell what you can and can't kill. Your cross hair turns bright red for things that are probably okay to murder, if it remains yellow you might lose karma for it and if it is green then you REALLY should not kill it. And never not kill tunnel trash.

You lose your crosshairs when you have lasers... always have lasers. :v:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

haldolium posted:

"less gadgets less problems" :dance:

Lasers are cool. Always be cool. :clint:

E: Now that I've actually finished a game, I might start again and play on a non-easy difficulty setting and see how far I get. Or I might not... I'm not huge on repeating games, but I know I missed a ton of notes and postcards. Hell, I didn't know postcards existed until I found one by accident in the 2nd area.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

The Lone Badger posted:

Don't kill them if you can avoid it, it's a waste of ammo.

Killing things is what ammo is for, therefore it's not a waste. :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

I’m really confused here. I’m wandering around taiga, and when I started my backpack icon was gone, Implying that I had lost my backpack. But now it’s back but I can’t open it or craft anything. I can’t tell if it’s a bug or plot driven but it sucks that I can’t craft medkits or anything.

When your train went into the water, the cutscene shows you losing your backpack. You start in that area with nothing, but should pick up a crossbow almost immediately. You will still have your flashlight, charger, and gasmask though. Later in that area you'll recover your backpack and be able to craft again. It will be pretty obvious when it happens, until then, no backpack.