Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Maybe I am just delusional, but I totally thought Metro had become a way bigger deal at this point than it actually appears to be.

Anyways, about to fire this up. Been looking forward to it since it was announced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Enjoying it so far but the controls on console feel a little rough. I don't remember that being the case in the previous games? Maybe I'm just pickier now than I was the last time I played the series.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Hamelekim posted:

I don't care what anyone else says, I love this game. Some of the twists are turns are amazing, and you have no idea how it will turn out.

Metro has more personality in it's pinky finger than most other post apoc games combined. Which is why I keep buying them, even if they can be a little less polished than most AAA games these days.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I also quite liked the style of the first Rage game at the time, which sadly seems to have shifted into super generic post apoc for the sequel.

Metro though, I've always just liked that it's always felt like it's been about the creators' vision, not what is most accessible or profitable. It's very good at atmosphere and the little intimate details of the world that make it very immersive imo. It's also got an appropriate layer of grime and sleaze over everything that most games lack.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Is there a way to clean guns out in the field? On that note, where the hell are the crafting tables usually located? I'm in the first area outside of Moscow and my guns are borderline useless and I can't figure out where to clean them. I can't believe there isn't a bench on the train.

Either that or I'm just blind which is also entirely possible.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Cool thanks.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

One more stupid question. Do I need an upgrade to use the zip lines? I found a zip line leading to where I need to go and it’s the first one I’ve found, but I’m not getting any prompts to interact with it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Blind Rasputin posted:

I read there’s some pretty bad dead zone/controller lag on consoles. Is this just a ps4 issue, or do you all on Xbox have the same problem? That kind of problem can really muck up an otherwise good time.

I’m on PS4 and id be shocked if it was any different on xbone tbh. I’m not gonna sugar coat it, the controls don’t feel great. It’s playable though. Not game ruining but I sure wouldn’t mind if it felt more natural. It’s reminding me a lot of Prey on console as far as controls are concerned atm.

The game is really fun so I kind of don’t give a poo poo though.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I wish that your comrades would light any enemies up that you can get to follow you to the train instead of the enemies just running off.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Lol Anna’s VA just totally gives up on trying to do a Russian accent every now and then.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

There’s only like 5 there the first time too.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

As a non PC gamer, can someone explain to me why people would rather wait a year to play a game they want, than use a different storefront? I can understand being annoyed by it but it sounds like a 2 minute inconvenience.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

At this point I'm kind of inclined to stop exploring freely and follow the objectives, and then once I hit the presumed point of no return (hopefully the game tells me) I'll check out whatever places the story doesn't take me to. Just doing my own thing and dicking around is proving to be way too much of a waste of resources that doesn't pay off nearly as much as it costs.

That bench on the train that always has clean guns is a godsend though. Cleaning my guns felt like such a massive, but necessary waste of supplies. The only thing that sucks though, is that the only "heavy" gun I have is the pea shooter, and it's never clean at that bench since I can't switch it out for another gun at that bench. Which seems like an oversight that can cost a lot parts at each visit.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Feb 17, 2019

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

is there some way to get the question marks on the map to change into something or go away? For example, there is some train wreckage right by the aurora south of the tracks and Artyom marked it with his binoculars when I looked at it, but I can't find anything worthwhile there, and the question mark remains even if I'm standing right over it. Does that mean I need to find something to interact with there?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

After playing most of the first area now, I think resources are actually balanced pretty well. The first hour or 2 feel pretty dire, but it's actually balanced pretty well so you are never up poo poo creek or so saddled with resources that it ruins the tension. Even the gun cleaning, which I hated at first is actually a pretty cool mechanic that adds to the weight of scarcity.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm getting the railcar back to the group atm and goddamn I am in love with this game. It just nails all the minutia and curated content of a linear game while feeling like an open world game, that also doesn't bog it down with icon hunts and hand holding. This is undoubtedly gonna be on my GOTY short list.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

pretty sure gamers just like being mad at stuff.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Same except not burning out at all. I’m not going anywhere on the aurora until every square inch has been explored.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

How on earth do you get to that little island with the big crabs on it, on the east side of the first area? There’s no boats on that side. I think there was a boat at one point when I initially rowed to the terminal but I went back there and it’s gone now. I think that is my last point of interest here and it’s driving me nuts.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Nonetheless it still looks pretty incredible on a PS4 Pro. Some of the large, outdoor environments look close to or as good as Red Dead

If I ever get around to getting a decent gaming PC this will be one of the first games I rebuy though.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

CuddleCryptid posted:

The more I play this the more I like it, and if this game fails it's due to its marketing more than the game itself.

"Open World Metro" sounded god-awful, but it's kind of a lie? Yes you get put onto largish maps that you cross aboveground and there are side objectives, but that isn't really what "open world" means in the modern age. It's more GTA types that take that now, which means a gigantic continuous map. Here it's far tighter, with the maps being more like levels than anything else, which plays well for this style of game.

I don't really know what to immediately compare the level structure to. The closest thing I can think of is obviously Stalker which I haven't played in years. it's unique and kind of it's own thing though. I really like it. it scratches the same itch as other games that I find really satisfying to explore like Dark Souls or Resident Evil. Not that it's anything like either of those. But it gives me the same vibes while I'm playing.

It's cool if you want to just explore a game for exploration's sake and not collectathon icon barf.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Totally agree. I'm exploring because I find their environments and world building fascinating, not for XP or some poo poo. Although there is some really good stuff you can miss out there though. My curiosity has netted me most of my good gun attachments and suit upgrades.

It's really not something to do because it's "profitable" though. If anything it can be the opposite sometimes. It's worth doing cause it's fun.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Finding that 4x scope out in the wild was 10 times more satisfying than anything a boss could drop in an RNG looty shooty game. Finally I could cower in the distance and kill poo poo like god intended.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

So do the Cultists not attack you when they lock you in unless you attack first? I instantly annihilated all of them when I saw the guns and that they had trapped me. Didn't realize they were mostly chill until after that and running into them out in the wild.

The Locator posted:

I am so sad..

I finally got the parts to build myself a really decent (I think) sniper rifle.. 6x scope, long barrel with flash suppressor, 5 round mag, good stock for stability... Then before I ever get a chance to shoot it at even a single bad guy, I go and fall in the water and lose it (and everything else, except apparently my amazing flashlight and charger). I'm so sad now, except I have a crossbow which is cool. Then I had to call it a night to get some sleep before work...

Wait...Why would you lose your stuff from falling in the water? I think I've fallen into a lake like 20 times and never lost my stuff. Unless this is some plot related thing. In that case just don't tell me.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Feb 19, 2019

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Word.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Kibayasu posted:

How do you change weapons at the train? What’s his name said the weapon locker is there but I only see the workbench and that doesn’t seem to do anything. I haven’t gone to the terminal yet so is it a progress thing?

Go to the attachments customization and scroll to the bottom. I think the symbol is a gear or something? You can swap weapons there.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Back Hack posted:

Another interesting thing about that, there are Dark Ones are following Artyom on his journey. Several times I saw something humanoid throughout the game sitting on roofs and other places watching me, but whenever I'd look at them directly they'd disappear. Thought they were graphics glitches at first, because let's be honest here the game has plenty of those at the moment, but I soon realized what they were on my third time seeing them.

I probably shouldn't have read this spoiler but this is really loving cool.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Why the hell does the game lock up the passenger car after you set off In Caspian? Been here an hour and still haven't found a safe house, and my prime workbench is right there but I can't use it because of reasons unknown. meanwhile I'm out of ammo and my guns are filthy cause theres a manimal every 3 feet.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

:doh: I looked in there before it was converted into a living space and never checked back.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I feel like this game is being criminally overlooked by the general public right now.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

it would be insane to not want to have the Tihar in your inventory. It's kind of your get out of jail free gun, since it's the only one you can craft ammo for in the field. Plus it's really good. Silent headshots and fully semi auto for close range. Just remember to pump it up and clean it, since the main crafting table doesn't restore it like it does with the other guns.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Feb 21, 2019

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Most of the ray tracing examples in that video just sorta look like a gamma adjustment to me lol. Like, the initial part linked is like "woah" but the rest of them barely look different tbh. Maybe I'm just blind.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The ? mark reveals seem way too hard to trigger sometimes. I also don't understand why a group of mutants sometimes qualifies as a point of interest. There's one on the east side that is a few mutant mole hills and I thought maybe I had to blow them up or something but it was just an enemy spawn and the question mark only revealed that randomly after 10 minutes of loving around. No loot or anything.

But yeah. I don't get why the game only allows a single save in the first place.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I just realized how good the revolver was last night after neglecting it for most of the game. I think it's my favorite gun atm. Also the Auto shotgun is shite compared to the A shot. Finally found the sniper scope just before rolling out of the desert too. Although I think I'd rather just use a snipered out revolver than the rifle, which is more fun and looks badass.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'd say it's usually less outright scary, than it just has a creepy atmosphere ala Dark Souls or something. There's a jump scare here and there but they are pretty tame.

StabMasterArson posted:

Does this game get into actual scavenge-y Stalker type open world gameplay or were those comparisons bogus? I'm only up to the part at the church in the swamp (which I have no idea how to navigate) and it seems pretty hit and miss so far

Yes. it does. The swamp becomes pretty easy to navigate once you get familiar with it. Do the story and you'll get some binoculars that will mark points of interest on the map for you.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Feb 23, 2019

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

StabMasterArson posted:

Alright thanks, I'll keep trying it. Any tips for navigating this swamp? I just fall in the water and artyom coughs a lot

There's boats all over the place and some makeshift bridges. Stop trying to make Artyom swim you are torturing him.

Kibayasu posted:

So does the metal detector sound break for everyone else? The detection meter will still go up and down (even if it occasionally finds boxes I’ve already looted) but the sound has vanished.

The rowboat in the Volga is honestly one of the most annoying things I’ve ever done in a game. It was just slightly too slow, slightly too cumbersome to turn, and slightly too small to dodge their spit attacks when on the water.

It works fine for me but you aren't the first person to say that. Honestly I got rid of it anyways cause it was annoying and moderatly useful at best.

I liked the boats but I used them very sparingly and only when I needed them. Agreed the shrimp are super annoying though. They really shouldn't have that ranged attack. It's corny and impossible to avoid. I like when they randomly jump on your boat though.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Feb 23, 2019

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The Lone Badger posted:

Don't kill them if you can avoid it, it's a waste of ammo.

This pretty much applies to everything in Volga, at least for the first few hours before you've scavenged a ton of poo poo.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The Lone Badger posted:

Killing bandits is often worth it, you can strip their weapons for more scrap then you spent on the bullet.

Yeah, sorry I meant to say monsters but forgot to specify that. Kill all the bandits and take their poo poo.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Lol you heard wrong.

Anyways, on the final Caspian mission the sniper lady asks you not to kill slaves. Does that include the the armed guards in the basement that talk like the slaves do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

A shot does almost twice as much damage per shot. Shambler sucks