Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Coming as a complete surprise, Team Cherry announced that the expected final DLC to their outstanding 2017 release Hollow Knight would not be a DLC, but in fact would be a full-length sequel.

Hollow Knight: Silksong

The release date has not yet been revealed, so here's what we know so far:

Initial Release Platforms
Windows, Mac, Linux & Nintendo Switch - more to come in the future

quote:

Hollow Knight: Silksong is the epic sequel to Hollow Knight, the award winning action-adventure of bugs and heroes. As the lethal hunter Hornet, journey to all-new lands, discover new powers, battle vast hordes of bugs and beasts and uncover ancient secrets tied to your nature and your past.

Game Features

Discover a whole new kingdom! Explore coral forests, mossy grottos, gilded cities and misted moors as you ascend to the shining citadel at the top of the world.
Engage in lethal acrobatic action! Wield a whole new suite of nimble moves as you dance between foes in deadly, beautiful combat.
Craft powerful tools! Master an ever-expanding arsenal of weapons, traps and mechanisms to confound your enemies and explore new heights.
Solve shocking quests! Hunt down rare beasts, unearth ancient mysteries and search for lost treasures to fulfil the wishes of the downtrodden and restore the kingdom’s hope. Prepare for the unexpected!
Face over 150 all-new foes! Beasts and hunters, assassins and kings, monsters and knights – defeat them all with bravery and skill!
Experience a stunning orchestral score! Hollow Knight’s award-winning composer, Christopher Larkin, returns to bring melancholy melodies, symphonic strings and heart-thumping, soul strumming boss themes to the adventure.
Challenge Silk Soul mode! Once you conquer the game, test your skills in an all-new mode that spins the game into a unique, challenging experience.

Reveal Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFAknD_9U7c

Reveal post from Team Cherry
Official site
Hollow Knight thread

I haven't played Hollow Knight - should I?

YES. Hollow Knight is available on nearly every platform and is often on sale for as low as :10bux:. It features lush, hand-drawn art, a fantastic and moving score, and dozens of hours of exploration and combat across a truly massive and often surprising world. It also has three free DLC packs with plenty more to explore, as well as optional, extremely difficult content for those who fall in love with the combat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
So Team Cherry is still a 3 man team. All I can say is :catstare:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Ground floor of a thread about the sequel to a fantastic game. Maybe link the HK thread in the OP?

Also we need a thread tag, I vote for Art.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

Dr. Fetus posted:

So Team Cherry is still a 3 man team. All I can say is :catstare:
The alternative is HollowNite Battle Royale.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

C-Euro posted:

Ground floor of a thread about the sequel to a fantastic game. Maybe link the HK thread in the OP?

It's in the links block near the bottom already. And yeah, I rarely post threads so I forgot. There's no PC/Switch tag, so Art is fine by me (or just Switch)

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Crossposted celebratory art for the game, in case this thread takes off.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

C-Euro posted:

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Hollow Knight for the switch is where I first picked the game up and I fell in love with it and its world. That the game's a full sequel and not just a DLC makes me happy.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Press kit for this on the site contains some images of characters, and they have their names.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
That character with the long nose is a cut character people have been making weird art of for ages, he's finally here.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Oh yeah, there were some backer characters that never made it to hollow knight, I guess all the missing ones will probably show up now?

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
I'm excited for this

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

So,quests. I'm of two minds on this-on the one hand, potential for more interesting lore/characters. On the other, the possibility of them being repetitive "Bring me 10 bug-bear asses" quests.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Hollow Knight was my favorite game of the last ten years. I am so excited for this.

Ferrous
Feb 28, 2010
I bought Hollow Knight on the PC, Switch, and PS4. Looking forward to doing the same with this.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
have to stay strong and not rewatch the trailer thousands of times

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Kurtofan posted:

have to stay strong and not rewatch the trailer thousands of times

:same:

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

I assume Hornet will actually converse with characters. The tone will be quite different as a result. Looking forward to that!

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

The cage that Hornet's being carried around looks similar to Godhome architecture so I'm gonna guess this follows the Godmaster ending; so my guess is she got captured by some Godseeker-affiliated bugs (since they see her as a god) who are trying to carry her to the Godseeker homeland or something before she escapes.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I hope they don’t go full Miyazaki and we get a bit of closure about what happened at the end of the previous game.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011

Dr. Fetus posted:

Press kit for this on the site contains some images of characters, and they have their names.

I'm already fully in on Garmond and Zaza and am already sad something tragic will probably happen to them.

Entropy238 posted:

I hope they don’t go full Miyazaki and we get a bit of closure about what happened at the end of the previous game.

Everything about the interviews they've given that have touched on story make them seem like the types that would not want to interfere with the experiences and interpretations people had of the first game. In other words, I'd be surprised if the plot isn't mostly self-contained with maybe references to other characters. I highly doubt they game will make any ending "cannon", other than discounting the one where Hornet is trapped obviously. Honestly, the only plot element from the first game I think actually could have (or could still) use more explanation is something indicating why the character was in King's Pass at the start and traveling back. I don't think any other plot element really needs closure personally.

e: I also don't think the use of the word "sequel" 'necessarily means the plot will be a sequel. They easily could've said that with reference to the game itself and not the plot itself. Obviously there are plenty of game sequels where the plot of the game is a prequel to the first one.

So It Goes fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Feb 15, 2019

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
I'll just add to the thread what I said a couple months ago in the other thread as to what I want the plot to be. Going from the Godmaster ending so I'll put it in tags:

I think it would be cool to have a Samus vs. SA-X type thing going on with Hornet and the now-un-infected Hollow Knight. Maybe he escapes and goes off to whatever new Kingdom this is, wreaking havoc, so those bugs go looking for whatever beat him the first time to stop him. The only bug left in Hallownest, though, is Hornet. Maybe Quirrel told them to get her! Because Quirrel is definitely still alive and wandering the countryside rescuing damsels and fighting monsters and being noble and shut up you're crying

Also I really want to become friends with that little knight guy on his noble steed (1:25 in the trailer). Garmond and Zaza?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Im thinking about silksong

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

First HK never really appealed to me aesthetically but I like the look of this game. The zippier movement and combat seems fun.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I really hope they don't go overboard with the difficulty like they did in the updates. Having an ending of the game locked behind a 30+ boss-rush with no checkpoints soured me on the whole experience.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I really hope they don't go overboard with the difficulty like they did in the updates. Having an ending of the game locked behind a 30+ boss-rush with no checkpoints soured me on the whole experience.

If this is a whole new game they'll likely start the difficulty curve from scratch. Godmaster was for people who had played the game for years and mastered the other DLC's, this one needs to appeal to newcomers.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

What’s on your QoL wishlist?

Mine is:
- Passive items that don’t take up charm slots (basically make the compass like the lantern, and possibly others like the geo swarm charm)
- more benches, more fast travel locations
- benches closer to bosses

Honestly I can’t think of much else. Hollow Knight was very close to a perfect game for me. I just want more!

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I also really hope that that ending isn't necessary to understand Silksong.

Panther2103
Jan 7, 2019

Alxprit posted:

I also really hope that that ending isn't necessary to understand Silksong.

If it is, and you don't want to earn it, you can always go watch it. But I doubt they would make it necessary.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
Gee, I hope hornet does not actually scream and yell at every given moment, that might intefere with the game's atmosphere.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Tombot posted:

Gee, I hope hornet does not actually scream and yell at every given moment, that might intefere with the game's atmosphere.

Buddy, if I don't have the ability to holler GIT GUD at all the bugs I'm killing, its a no-buy for me.

1stGear fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Feb 15, 2019

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

:getgud:

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
if they ban me from hollering at the bugs i will face The Radiance and walk backwards into the void

Solar Tornado
Aug 9, 2016

A true fool keeps on fighting, even when there is no more glory to be gained
So excited for Bug Souls Vania 2 : Requiem for a Gendered Child

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

They said in the little video they put out it might be structured a little differently. I get the feeling it's another vania' but also wondering how folks would feel if it was a bit more linear.

Honestly my biggest worry right now is that it winds up like Plague Knight where there's plenty of cool movement options that are fast and I'm sure are great to handle, but are far too clunky for idiots like me and will just wind up getting me killed in the long run.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
Looking forward to an updated version of *sigh* bapanada. The voice acting in the first was so fantastic, and iirc it was put together by the team using themselves and their girlfriends and moms and random homeless people cosplaying exasperated bored bug merchants.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
I'd say its a little bit too early to analyse the trailer for info (if you looked at many of the early trailers for hollow knight a large amount of it never showed up in game), But at least for the moment it looks like they are going for an entirely different style of equipment screen and no magic meter dictating what kind of spells you can use. Instead it seems you have equipable 'styles' of sorts and a big list of gadgets to throw around. Which sounds like a welcome break from Hollow knights sword flapping.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

They said in the little video they put out it might be structured a little differently. I get the feeling it's another vania' but also wondering how folks would feel if it was a bit more linear.

Honestly my biggest worry right now is that it winds up like Plague Knight where there's plenty of cool movement options that are fast and I'm sure are great to handle, but are far too clunky for idiots like me and will just wind up getting me killed in the long run.

Wasn't that just in reference to how this game will have you climbing higher vs. HK's plunging to the depths? HK's absurd openness was one of its best qualities so I'd be sad if SS were more linear.

NoMas
Oct 2, 2013

Man Moth!?
They just went and turned this dlc into a whole new game. I'm so glad to have more from them

Tombot posted:

But on the other hand, I would like to hear them all the drat time

BTW this is my desktop background

https://i.imgur.com/UwAopNX.jpg

NoMas fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Feb 16, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Im thinking about silksong