Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

The issue is out

https://twitter.com/edgeonline/status/1344588834231693313

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Somebody buy that poo poo and tell us when the release date is!

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Wasnt that the "you cant talk to the doom monsters six outta ten" magazine?

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

Cartoon Man posted:

Somebody buy that poo poo and tell us when the release date is!

Release date is officially printed in Edge as: TBA

Here's a breakdown of what was covered: https://nintendoeverything.com/hollow-knight-silksong-new-details-revealed/

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Foehammer posted:

Release date is officially printed in Edge as: TBA

Here's a breakdown of what was covered: https://nintendoeverything.com/hollow-knight-silksong-new-details-revealed/

Sounds amazing, they gotta be getting close.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I wanna read that but I'm definitely not going to read that. If they're starting up a marketing push, it's gotta be close, right?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Team Cherry doesn't really seem to do marketing pushes, which is kind of nice. I'm guessing this is probably it for a while, and is basically the replacement for the holiday update they made last year

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I still expect it to appear out the blue in a Nintendo Direct sometime this year and release a month or two later.

:shepface:

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Loadout profiles!!! That will definitely encourage me to experiment with different builds, something I didn't do enough of in hollow knight.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

You can definitely see what they learned from HK with those changes.

Can’t wait to buy 3-4 different copies of Silksong.

NoMas
Oct 2, 2013

Man Moth!?
Seems like charms became abilities that have to be replenished

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Something I've idly wondered about (and seen some others wondering about) is if Silksong is going to have any kind of accessibility options or even a straight up easy mode, for people who want that kind of thing. I'm sure the usual people would whine about such an addition but it's exactly the kind of thing I'd hope for in a more considered sophomore production.

Also, and not entirely unrelatedly, I don't think it's ever been explicitly revealed how Silksong will handle dying and respawning. Hollow Knight of course did The Souls Thing, although it also (very wisely) went out of its way to lessen - almost to zero at times - the impact it had on you, firstly by only really having so many things you particularly need to be saving money for, and secondly by moving the ghost out of boss arenas and eventually letting you bypass it entirely if you want, to the point where there's only a handful of times having to do a corpse run really becomes a big problem (like maybe a handful of rooms in the game if you die in them). Silksong is different enough in enough ways that we know of that it's likely that dying is going to work differently too, if at the very least because she's not part Void.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Cactus posted:

Wasnt that the "you cant talk to the doom monsters six outta ten" magazine?

Yes.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Whatever the mechanic is, it sounds like you’ll be dying a lot while you get Hornet’s improved mobility under your belt. Just reading those teensy snippets got me super hyped!!

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Looks like Hornet got horny at mardi gras.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I hope the resurrection thing is a bunch of teeny tiny cute spiders taking her back to a bench to regenerate in a spider silk cocoon :3:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Fedule posted:

Something I've idly wondered about (and seen some others wondering about) is if Silksong is going to have any kind of accessibility options or even a straight up easy mode, for people who want that kind of thing. I'm sure the usual people would whine about such an addition but it's exactly the kind of thing I'd hope for in a more considered sophomore production.

Also, and not entirely unrelatedly, I don't think it's ever been explicitly revealed how Silksong will handle dying and respawning. Hollow Knight of course did The Souls Thing, although it also (very wisely) went out of its way to lessen - almost to zero at times - the impact it had on you, firstly by only really having so many things you particularly need to be saving money for, and secondly by moving the ghost out of boss arenas and eventually letting you bypass it entirely if you want, to the point where there's only a handful of times having to do a corpse run really becomes a big problem (like maybe a handful of rooms in the game if you die in them). Silksong is different enough in enough ways that we know of that it's likely that dying is going to work differently too, if at the very least because she's not part Void.

This is interesting to consider. What I'm very curious about is whether they'll use Silksong as a straight up Hollow Knight 2: Now its harder, or more Offshoot: Different mechanics different feel.

I just rewatched Joseph Anderson's critique of Hollow Knight and he really focuses on how when you have all of the abilities in Hollow Knight you can do so many things (infinite air juggling and dashing) that you can't come close to earlier in the game, and because of the ability to traverse the world in different orders, they can't really require you to have ALL the abilities in any boss fights except Radiance. I don't completely agree with him on it, but he sees that as a weakness and wishes more of the game challenged him to use the full toolkit. (Me I can barely handle the bosses there are :cheeky:)

So along those lines you could see Silksong becoming a little more challenging across the board, with the idea that you've probably played Hollowknight and probably don't need as much of a tutorial. But then if they do that, an easy mode may be even more warranted than Hollow Knight, where most of the required progress wasn't too hard and it was more optional challenges that got really crazy stupid difficult.

Or maybe having Hornet play so dramatically different to the Knight, they'll still need to have the same tutorial and slow progression. :shrug:

All I know is I'm gonna love it :)

I think I am expecting more of a Mega Man X rather than Mega Man 2 here with the change of protagonist.

quote:

– Difficulty intended to be around the same as the first Hollow Knight
welp there ya go

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Dec 31, 2020

NoMas
Oct 2, 2013

Man Moth!?
alternate cover pic, someone edited out the text

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

I would put both these arts on my wall

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
It's been over a month since we didn't have any new news.

But, I found this guy on youtube who is a speedrunner who has been uploading these pretty entertaining vids:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2F4qYMrC2so

I think that is the first. There are 4 or 5 on his channel so far. Something to look at while waiting.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

IIRC he was the guy who designed one of the ghost bugs in the graveyard, one of the cooler ones too. Perpetual Noob = Perpetos Noo.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://twitter.com/NintendoUK/status/1361677089511006210?s=20

Here we go again...
:ninja:

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I take it there was a huge glut of info about Silksong including a potential release window and no-one is posting about it because they're still too busy picking their jaws off the floor.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Cactus posted:

I take it there was a huge glut of info about Silksong including a potential release window and no-one is posting about it because they're still too busy picking their jaws off the floor.

it was officially cancelled unfortunately.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Cactus posted:

The game was actually contained entirely inside the Nintendo Direct. Everyone was able to play it only during those 50 minutes and now it is gone forever.

Still game of the decade though.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

it's coming out tomorrow

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

I'm playing Silksong on my OUYA right now

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Silksong is going to release on a new console that is actually a terrarium full of real bugs.

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

repiv posted:

I'm playing Silksong on my OUYA right now

Weird, I thought it was a Stadia exclusive.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Waltzing Along posted:

It's been over a month since we didn't have any new news.

But, I found this guy on youtube who is a speedrunner who has been uploading these pretty entertaining vids:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2F4qYMrC2so

I think that is the first. There are 4 or 5 on his channel so far. Something to look at while waiting.

Oh wow, I'd never seen this multiplayer mod until now.

Having other hollow bugs running around fighting each other is actually pretty thematic to the game.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it's actually an exclusive on the soulja boy console and i'm playing it right now

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Johnny Joestar posted:

it's actually an exclusive on the soulja boy console and i'm playing it right now

Is that the one that can play Pong

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

It's a TI-83+ exclusive

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

One of the $10,000 Star Citizen ships has a PC with the game preinstalled on it.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
The promise has been made.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

HMS Beagle posted:

One of the $10,000 Star Citizen ships has a PC with the game preinstalled on it.

This is the best one. How do I get an ouya?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Dammit. Stop posting so much. 1 post = no news. 15 posts = no news but now I'm disappointed.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Waltzing Along posted:

Dammit. Stop posting so much. 1 post = no news. 15 posts = no news but now I'm disappointed.

no

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Waltzing Along posted:

Half the posts in this thread are just talking about Hollow knight so you should really accept that its more likely not to mean news.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

That's ok. I'm already playing silksong on my atari 2600.