Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

So this first post is pretty much spoiler-free, but as this thread is going up after Ep. 6 you should expect spoilers from there on out.

KEMURIKUSA is director Tatsuki's latest broadcast anime after getting ruthlessly sacked from Kemono Friends after the first season ended. It's a vaguely sci-fi story in a post-apocalyptic setting where a group of girls and a tree embark on an endless search for water while trying to fight the deadly robots they call "bugs" with magical leaves.

Uh, it's kind of hard to explain, so let's talk about the characters.

Here are Rin, Ritsu, and Rina, respectively. Rin is the overly suspicious fighter of the group. Ritsu is Midori (the tree's) primary caretaker and has cat ears. Rina is playful and has a healthy appetite for strange foods.

They are joined by this lad, Wakaba:

I hope you like this kind of dialogue, because he says some variation of it four thousand times per episode.

Anyway, the show has (in my opinion) a slow slog of a start, but it gets pretty interesting by episode 5 or so. It has roughly the same production values as Kemono Friends episode 1, so don't get your hopes up too high in that regard, but if you didn't mind it there you probably won't mind it here.

I'm curious where this series is going to go. I honestly have no idea. I hope it is good!

(Kemurikusa is streaming on Amazon Prime.)

Hat tip to Dzhay for the thread title, which is much more clever than whatever I would've come up with

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
It's pretty cool that this is being made!

https://twitter.com/GoodSmile_US/status/1094423232260784130

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

El Burbo posted:

Possibly. Various landmarks match up to real life landmarks. For example, they passed by Space World Japan, and the latest episode had an old fountain in Osaka station

Tatsuki sure likes his decaying architecture.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Ccs posted:

I respect how this guy is making a certain kind of sub par CG into an aesthetic. I mean that in all honesty. It means some interesting stories can be told with bad budgets.

I agree. And I would love to hear Tatsuki and Irodori's story sometime; I suspect it would make a hell of a movie.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Yeah, it's pretty fun, and I hope we come back to the delinquent sister before too long.

Anyone know what kanji was flashing on the blue wall there?

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Thanks!

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
The poor little robots. At least they died doing what they loved, chilling out on a boat until someone told them to hack up some tree roots.

Bit of a turning point for Wakaba and Rin too. Good ep.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

El Burbo posted:

It is one of the, if not the, best selling anime this season. Highly rated on nico streams. One of the most discussed on 2chan.

Really? Huh, good for Irodori. Seems to be almost completely ignored in the US.

I kind of understand it, it's much gloomier than KF and doesn't have that same moe factor.

I hope this gives them a chance to do something interesting with a full budget and staff down the road.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Ryo has a hypnotic voice.

El Burbo posted:

Of course, people are calling the girl Wakaban

woah

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

TalkLittle posted:

What's up with this show, every episode feels repetitive but at the same time I feel like I never have any idea what's going to happen next.

It's strange, isn't it? It's been a pretty simple format but this show sticks with me more than most. Maybe I'm just a sucker for these bittersweet kinds of stories.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Run, Rin-san!

:(

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Ghosts n Gopniks posted:

I gotta go back in the series and make charts once it's over.[/spoiler]

Be sure to :justpost: them afterwards.

Btw, did they say which leaves Riri used on herself?

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
I'm not sure what this is for, but Tatsuki also did a few short manga chapters that go up to episode 10 or so.

https://mangadex.org/title/34005/kemurikusa-wakaba-memo

There's not really anything new, but there were a few frames from a show promo page that I liked. Presumably from before things went to poo poo.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
I will watch them then!

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Ep 0.5

Ep 2

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Hell yeah. Would be happy to rustle that updo.

There's a fan art countdown on this twitter account, a pretty good Riku and Ryoku I thought.

https://twitter.com/karyoku_seigi/status/1110153298395320320

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
https://twitter.com/karyoku_seigi/status/1110528526489251841

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
I was pretty happy with this ep, but I sure wish they didn't use a minute and a half on the OP because the story ended up rushed and could've used that time to slow down a little.

https://twitter.com/irodori7/status/1110916908272869376

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Some last thoughts, in no particular order:
  • Despite some poor art and bad animation, this ended up being one of my favorite series this season. Tatsuki does a good job teasing out these mysterious worlds with characters you take a liking to.
  • Speaking of which, how crazy a decision was it to use Wakaba as a main character? Imagine: you're pretty much on your own after losing the job that made you famous, and if your original work doesn't sell here it's entirely possible that you never helm a full-length show again. So here's Wakaba, annoyingly curious, not particularly masculine, and just plain weird. I think most showrunners would've played it safe with a more traditional shonen hero.
  • There are still some plot points I still don't understand--how did all three sisters show up against the red tree? Old Wakaba had a ship within a ship? What was Riku looking for in that mall?--but I guess they don't really matter.
  • I've re-watched a few episodes, and if you liked the show it's well-worth it. Good foreshadowing and you'll probably catch some musical cues that come up later.
  • The voice acting was pretty adorable here, especially the lost sisters. Ryo's voice is practically hypnotic.
  • Wakaba couldn't quite "protect that smile," but Rin herself and her sisters did. Nice touch.
  • Going into episode 11, I could not figure out how there was possibly enough time to explain the lore behind what was going on. Turns out they did a pretty good job of it. Poor Riri.
  • I'm glad that a show in as bleak a setting as this one ended happily. Rin finally got her sparkles!

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
I need subs!

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Zereth posted:

Wait is that saying he's homeless, or that he's just been so busy with kemuriksa that he's been sleeping in the office?

The latter, the latter! Though I'm sure there are some people in the industry that are effectively homeless :(