Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Tankakern posted:

i searched for a usb -> digital audio out recently, they are stupid expensive apparently

did you get one of the ones with exposed tubes on top?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Pryor on Fire posted:

Honestly if you could go back in time only once and murder either the inventor of the internet in the crib or Hitler in his crib wouldn't it be way better for humanity to just abort the internet? Also we wouldn't have to deal with Tipper in that timeline so seems like an easy choice.

the internet is inevitable with computing technology.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Pryor on Fire posted:

Honestly if you could go back in time only once and murder either the inventor of the internet in the crib or Hitler in his crib wouldn't it be way better for humanity to just abort the internet? Also we wouldn't have to deal with Tipper in that timeline so seems like an easy choice.

you kill the internet the information superhighway wins

five hundred channels of prodigy, compuserve, and interactive video adventures

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

eschaton posted:

did you get one of the ones with exposed tubes on top?

if you know of some simple usb -> digital stuff with no dac, please let me know

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Tankakern posted:

i searched for a usb -> digital audio out recently, they are stupid expensive apparently

amazon has cheapo units listed for $12 to $50

what is "stupid expensive" in your book?

fundamentally usb to toslink is not a real complicated problem

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Tankakern posted:

if you know of some simple usb -> digital stuff with no dac, please let me know

i got some bad news 4 u about how usb audio interfaces work

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i use a 12 year old m-audio usb interface that i paid $5 at the thrift store for the stream. it works fine and has xlr in so i can poo poo balanced from the mixer

windows 10 loaded xp drivers for it flawlessly

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Jonny 290 posted:

i use a 12 year old m-audio usb interface that i paid $5 at the thrift store for the stream. it works fine and has xlr in so i can poo poo balanced from the mixer

windows 10 loaded xp drivers for it flawlessly

the only sad thing in this post is windows

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

windows is as old peripherals does

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

this is my streaming box and obs runs like rotten pigshit on os x. i feel it tho. windows 10 has some uggo spots including its v bad handling of notifications, but ill be damned if it doesnt load drivers old enough to buy cigarettes just fine

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Jonny 290 posted:

this is my streaming box and obs runs like rotten pigshit on os x. i feel it tho. windows 10 has some uggo spots including its v bad handling of notifications, but ill be damned if it doesnt load drivers old enough to buy cigarettes just fine

install linux; problem solved

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

i got some bad news 4 u about how usb audio interfaces work

i'll admin i don't fully get it, but i can't see why you would need a dac if you only want digital out? seems like all the cheap boxes on amazon has a headphone out port, doesn't that mean that everything is mashed through dac before it hits the wire?

pram
Jun 10, 2001
your motherboard doesnt have an optical port ...?

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

nope

pram
Jun 10, 2001
then youd need an external soundcard how the gently caress else would it work? i dont understand your problem with purchasing a 'dac'

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

i want the sound bits to go directly from my computer into a amplifierr that has spdif. someone has to educate me why this should include a dac between the amplifier and my computers usb port

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
Another cool thing about old computers (For a very specific era): fans with lights in them.

~Coxy posted:

Run a latency monitor; you probably have a bad driver.
Dells seem quite bad for this now sadly

Will try this if I encounter it again with my frankenstein computer.

Tankakern posted:

or just do the sensible thing and install linux on your dell :coolspot:

This fixes it.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

this is the cheapest usb -> toslink i found

https://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-HD-Audio-Adapter-to-Digital-Coax-Toslink-I2S-Converter/232642798783

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

windows was a professional operating system when Linux was a weird vanity hobbiest project

[this is still true

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

but this is largely down to your constraint is that you don't want any analog connection on the thing because you then don't trust the device to not be implemented in some convoluted dac to adc to tos way?

jeffery
Jan 1, 2013
good god

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

but this is largely down to your constraint is that you don't want any analog connection on the thing because you then don't trust the device to not be implemented in some convoluted dac to adc to tos way?

... well, yeah, wouldn't you? if the goal was to hook up your amplifier digitally?

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Tankakern posted:

... well, yeah, wouldn't you? if the goal was to hook up your amplifier digitally?

this would do what you're after

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

Captain Foo posted:

windows was a professional operating system when Linux was a weird vanity hobbiest project

[this is still true

the hobbiest hobbit that ever shired

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Broken Machine posted:

this would do what you're after

but isn't just this a normal usb dac with a spdif port added? i mean, wouldn't the volume knob also work on digital?

~my precious bits~

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Tankakern posted:

but isn't just this a normal usb dac with a spdif port added? i mean, wouldn't the volume knob also work on digital?

~my precious bits~

it specifically says it supports digital passthrough. it's also a whopping $25

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

hmmmm

it's so cheap it's worth a try

thanks!

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

don't forget you'll also need a 3.5mm spdif to standard spdif cable if you don't already have one

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

going digital -> analogue -> digital would also cost more money so you can be sure as poo poo manufacturers aren’t going to do that. I have a couple of these things and the SPDIF interface shows up in Windows as such, and volume control does not affect it.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

nice

the star tech one ended up costing double the amount when importing it to norway due to import duty and expensive postage, so i found out that a nearby store actually has the asus xonar u3 in store.. is there any reason i shouldn't get that one?

tankakern turns yospos into shsc

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

if it was windows i wouldn't buy anything asus because of the hosed up ~enhanced experience~ drivers they're bundling, but it's for linux so I guess it'll just work

might have to open it and destroy those leds though

or just tape over them of course

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Neslepaks posted:

the hobbiest hobbit that ever shired

dammit

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

worst rom font is sun gallant demi:

best rom font is the unnamed palmos default font (fu chicago, fight me):

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

loving lol @ serifs for a screen font

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I legit miss when fonts were aggressively hinted into the pixel grid. looks so sharp on a modern display but modern fonts that expect antialiasing look awful with ClearType off

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
and said modern fonts look blurry and washed out compared to non-AA fonts

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
terminus no-AA forever

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

downloaded that palm font from https://fontstruct.com/fontstructions/show/653622/palm_os

so much nostalgia. gonna find a good use for it someday.

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
https://twitter.com/drewtoothpaste/status/1105325049760935937

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

as someone who has dropped both a sparcstation 20 and a hp c200 (fully loaded, with fx card) in e-waste like a decade ago (no regrets, collecting junk is shameful) i would still make an exception for one of the classic dumb terminals