Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rawillkill
Aug 15, 2009

Emma Watson is what runs trivia teams.
A trivia contest you say?! 54 HOURS STRAIGHT YOU SAY?

Let's get prepared again for TRIVIA, goons! We're back in action April 12, 13, and 14!

IMPORTANT DATES AND TIMES
APRIL 6 - 1am EDT - TRIVIA MOVIE SCREENING (there are usually 5-10 questions about the movie during the contest)
APRIL 8 - 3-6pm EDT - PICTURE SCAVENGER HUNT BEGINS! (scroll down to read more about this part - we need more people to join earlier for this!)
APRIL 12 - 7pm EDT - CONTEST BEGINS.
APRIL 13 - 7pm EDT - APPROX. 30 MINUTE CONTEST BREAK
APRIL 14 - 7pm EDT - APPROX. 30 MINUTE CONTEST BREAK
APRIL 14 - 1am EDT - CONTEST ENDS. (Late Monday Morning)
APRIL 14 - POST-1am EDT - We find out results (this is somewhat variable)

Our Logo (2019)

What the crap do you want us to do?

We've broken top ten 6 straight years, which should be described as an inhuman feat for a team that didn't exist before 2011.

Some teams play for generations and haven't cracked Top 50.

Tell Me More! :allears:

For the last 50 years Stevens Point, WI college radio station 90FM has run the world's largest trivia contest.
There are over 350 teams from around the world who compete. The entire town is taken over by trivia contestants.

These are the canonical rules, but here's a brief overview.

• Game runs for 54 hours straight (non stop trivia action!)
  • Approximately 8 questions every hour. They read a question, play a song, re-read it, play another song.
  • You have until the end of the second song to get your answer in. You're competing to get a correct answer and to get the answer in on time.
  • Occasionally there is a speed round which is 10 questions. (Generally twice per contest)
  • There will be 2 shorter rounds (4 questions generally) with a 30 minute break near the halfway points of each day (7pm Saturday and Sunday EST)

:siren: PICTURE SCAVENGER HUNT :siren:
We will get 30 grainy, sometimes blurry, sometimes photoshopped, black and white pictures that we need to identify as much as possible.
These can range from random hot sauce labels, inner sleeves of record albums, random board games, random people/celebrities, old sports stars, etc.
This part is EXTREMELY difficult. This begins on April 8. We have until the question about that picture is asked to answer it (so nearly a full week).
Sometimes these questions are worth hundreds of points - THIS IS IMPORTANT.
Getting 1 or 2 more of these pictures than other teams can be the difference between 3rd and 7th place in recent years!

Imagine a couple thousand trivia nerds hitting redial :f5: for 54 hours straight. Yeah.

Things you should know:
  • The questions are designed to be Google-proof, but that's not always possible. They want to make you at least work to get the answers.
  • Scoring: The fewer people that answer correctly, the more valuable the question is and so those people get awarded more points.
  • You can do anything to get the answer.

What TEAM GOONS needs from you! :eng101:
Here's a list of things we need:
  • Data Entry Goons: Someone to transcribe the questions to text for people on IRC ---> THIS IS SUPER VALUABLE! If your WPM is over 120 PLEASE come help us out!
  • IRC We have a channel on synirc.net
  • Mumble We re-stream the audio for everyone over Mumble.
  • Recording the stream for review is essential. There are music questions where they play a 20 second clip of like 8 different songs. You have to try to get them all right. You are given a long time to answer, but if you only hear it once and don't have a recording you're missing out on big points. Being able to edit the clip and analyze it is invaluable.
  • Non-Americans are VERY welcome: Goons from around the world. They've had questions that Americans won't get. Pop culture or things in other countries could be on the list. Hey, it's 54 hours long... I'm not staying awake that entire weekend.
  • Media whores: You have every season of Hogan's Heroes, M*A*S*H* and other random TV shows? Yeah, we might need you to help us figure out what color socks someone is wearing or some other bullshit question.
  • On the ground Goons: We have a group of goons in that run the On the Ground stuff for us in Stevens Point. (Yes this contest also has LITERAL scavenger hunts in real life DURING the competition)
  • Music nerds: Example question given by a coworker (accuracy not guaranteed) "In the Huey Lewis and the News vinyl's included artwork there is a neon sign on the wall. What does it say?"
  • Also we will get 3 snippets of 8 songs each to identify. These are sometimes easy, sometimes hard as gently caress. The snippets of each song are at most 1-2 seconds. if you have an ear for this sort of thing, we can use your help!

Official website (Don't be shocked at how bad this is)

:siren: Our Results: :siren:
2011: Trivial Fursuit - 33rd place
2012: Trivial Fursuit: 2 Fat 2 Furriest - 14th place
2013: Trivial Fursuit: Tokyo Yiff'd - 8th place
2014: Trivial Fursuit: Watch Walker Wreck - 7th place
2015: Trivial Fursuit: Awful Mix Vol. 5 - 4th place
2016: Trivial Fursuit: 6 Sick Stick Shifts - 6th place
2017: Trivial Fursuit: Furple Reign - 3rd place
2018: Trivial Fursuit: Miner Threat - 3rd place

For those with archives...
Trivia 42 (2011) thread
Trivia 43 (2012) thread
Trivia 44 (2013) thread
Trivia 45 (2014) thread
Trivia 46 (2015) thread
Trivia 47 (2016) thread
Trivia 48 (2017) thread
Trivia 49 (2018) thread

As you can see we have (almost always) improved steadily with each year, with our best year being 2017/2018, when we placed in THIRD out of over 350 teams, giving us our SIXTH straight top ten finish.

FAQ: :psyduck:

How the gently caress do I participate?
Follow the guide in the next post

What is our team name this year?
Undetermined currently. Please suggest options. (Maximum 36 characters, including spaces and punctuation)
Here are a few options in no particular order:
  • Trivial Fursuit 9: Mahowlo, Oz
  • Trivial Fursuit 9: Howlin' Haoles
  • Hawa'ii Kawaii Fursuit 9-O
  • TF:IX: The Fix Is In
  • TrivFursuit9: Humuhumunukunukuapua'a
  • Trivial Fursuit: Hawaii Lame-O
  • Trivial Fursuit 9: The real Maui Wowwie
  • Trivial Fursuit Call in with ya skin

We more than welcome other suggestions for team names!

It's February (or March), what should I do right now?
Come drop into IRC (details on the next post) and say hi, we can tell you a little more or answer just about any question you have.
Due to the rules of the contest we cannot share most information in a public setting but in IRC we can tell you a lot more so you can get a feel for it!

Where the gently caress do I order my shirt?

my cat is norris posted:

SHIRT ORDERS ARE CLOSED.

Can I see some sample questions?

Athanatos posted:

This sounds weird but is actually kinda cool. Give it a shot when the day comes.

Some sample questions:

During a TV campaign for the frozen dinners of Marie Callendar, the claim was made that every recipe started the same way. According to that campaign, how did the recipe start?

This product has the registered autograph and logo of a legendary athlete as well as many pictures of this athlete in action on containers. What is the complete name of this product?

Early in the years of television videos, there was a motivational one called "No fool like a fool playin' hooky." What is the last name of the teacher featured in that video?

What kind of music is played in between questions?

Here are some Spotify playlists you can check out!

quote:

Trivia 44 Playlist (thanks, Athanatos!)

Trivia 45 Playlist (thanks, Athanatos!)

Trivia 46 Playlist (thanks, CatNamedNorris!)

Trivia 47 Playlist (thanks, TotalNewbie!)

Trivia 48 Playlist (thanks, CatNamedNorris!)

Trivia 49 Playlist (thanks, CatNamedNorris!)

TELL ME MORE ABOUT THIS CONTEST
There was a decent write up done in 2017 and our team was featured in it.
https://theoutline.com/post/1469/stevens-point-worlds-biggest-trivia-contest

Including a "documentary" video in which we are also featured
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-IyBRXaUls
Start at 9:45 if you can't be bothered to watch the whole thing

There was also a movie made over 10 years ago about the contest called Triviatown
We usually do a yearly (online) screening of this film the Friday night 7 days before the contest starts. April 5. It's a tradition.

This sounds stupid and complicated I don't want to do it
Give it 15 minutes of your time and then decide. There are tons of people involved in this contest and so many different areas of it, we have players of all sorts, from 18 through 65+ participating.
The contest is hectic, and fun, even if you're just sitting around watching the organized chaos unfold. Sometimes there might be a question about a cereal box we're stumped on but it happens to be in your pantry. Who knows!
We have goons from New Zealand, Sweden, all across the Americas, Britain, Finland, Denmark, Japan. We are all over the place!
Give us a fair shake and see how you like it.

Sooo... are you ready to play Trivia, Fast Eddie?

rawillkill fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Mar 18, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rawillkill
Aug 15, 2009

:siren: How To Join Us In IRC (TL;DR at bottom) :siren:

What the hell is IRC and what do I do?

So the channel is #tplobby on the server irc.synirc.net. To connect to these you will need an irc client. Popular ones are mibbit, hexchat, mIRC and irssi.

Mibbit is web based and as such the easiest one to get started with. The other ones require an installation. This guide will focus mostly on mibbit but the instructions are somewhat universal.

If you're okay with using mibbit, all you need to do is click here and pick a nickname.

For other clients, open it up, type in /connect irc.synirc.net, type in /nick YOUR_NICKNAME_HERE (you can pick your name here) and then type in /join #tplobby and you should be in.

I've joined but there's no contest going on. What the hell?

Once you're here (#tplobby) it might take a little while for people to respond, especially if you want to join during the middle of the contest is going on. This is because we're busy trying to win.
However, within a minute (last year this was generally within 15-30 seconds, not minutes) someone with OP (operator) status will talk to you. In the meantime, you can register your nick on the server.

Registering is pretty simple. Type in /msg NickServ register YOUR_PASSWORD YOUR_EMAIL
You will then get an email with a command to put type into IRC. Do that and you're registered!

note that the email ended up in my spam folder, so check there

Note: the next time you open up IRC and pick this nickname you will have to log in or the server will change your name. To do this you simply type in /msg nickserv identify YOUR_PASSWORD

On both of these commands it's important you don't have an empty space or whatever at the start or it or you'll post your entire message openly for everyone to see.
Make sure NOTHING but what I've put in italics above is in the message as you press enter or people might steal your password or whatever

Okay, so I'm registered and stuff. How do I join in the fun?

At this point you'll hopefully have been contacted by an OP in #tplobby (you can tell who's an op by what symbol they have before or after their name, these differ between clients, though. Mibbit has custom icons and others usually have an @ or a & before their name to show it.)

They will ask you to identify yourself with your SA user name and potentially by putting something in your profile.
They will then add you to a list of trusted users if all of the above has been done correctly and send you to another channel, where the actual contest is happening.
If after this point you get disconnected you will be able to join the real channel immediately and just log in with /msg nickserv identify YOUR_PASSWORD and skip all the other steps above.

If there are any questions or confusion, feel free to ask one of the ops in #tplobby for help. We'll try to have someone semi active in there as often as possible until the contest ends. If you have time to spare it's really helpful for everyone involved to register ahead of time.

TL;DR ot if you know sort of how to irc
Join #tplobby on the server irc.synirc.net.
Register your nick with nickserv.
Talk to an operator in #tplobby.
Or just click here.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

:getin:

After years of painful regret, I will be taking the Monday after off from work.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord
TRIVIA TRIVIA TRIVIA GET THE gently caress IN

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

This is the year I come up with the team name, or this is the year I burn the thread to the ground console myself with ?emma gifs. Good times

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

If I have to shovel snow for two hours again so loving help me god

CoasterMaster
Aug 13, 2003

The Emperor of the Rides

Nap Ghost
For anyone on the fence, just loving do it. This will be my third year and holy poo poo adrenaline from the rapid fire research and Googling is second-to-none.

CherryCat
Feb 21, 2011

That's a strawberry.

College Slice
Already have the full weekend off from work. Trivia time is the best time of year.

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Awaken to your true self with Wisconsin Potatoes
Grimey Drawer
As one of the thread's resident (former) locals, it will be my job to show you all the Sights? of Stevens Point and be generally knowledgeable about Things Of Wisconsin. Please look forward to my fat rear end being media relations or something.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord
I unfortunately can't make the trek to Point this year but Furstation Atlanta will be online and fully operational. I'll still do my damndest to make sure we get another trivia focus.

railroad terror
Jul 2, 2007

choo choo
come play trivia.....m'lord

BOOK EM OZZO

I have a new job starting in March - I will have to be diligent about how much weird poo poo I google for pictures during work hours. I'll make up for it in the evening.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

EVERY YEAR WE GET STRONGER. EVERY YEAR WE GET FASTER. EVERY YEAR WE BLOW AWAY THE COMPETITION.

...yet still that first place trophy remains elusive...

Will THIS be the year? Will YOU be the one to score that 500-point bounty and push us that much closer to the ULTIMATE PRIZE?

Dad's. Festivus. The two teams we need YOUR help to dethrone!

This is the most fun you'll have all April YEAR, don't be afraid to join the chaos! If nothing else come jam to some solid music and count the number of questionable/racist songs that make it into the playlist because they're "classics."

my cat is norris fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Feb 15, 2019

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Trivial Fursuit 9: Klurfin' USA

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

No idea what this is seems scary and my heart is racing count me out

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord

JebanyPedal posted:

No idea what this is seems scary and my heart is racing count me out

:getin:

Unobtainium
Dec 25, 2006
You want me to hack the planet? He wants me to hack the planet... Ok, *if* I decide to do this, I'll need an unlimited supply of Xena tapes and Hotpockets.
Participated (well..., mostly spent time being amazed at how fast the answers were coming in) for the first time last year. Lots of fun, count me in for this year.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Anyone that's interested in going to Stevens Point and attending in person, please let me know. We've got a nice house right next to campus/radio station. It's great.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

^^^ The house is awesome and we seem to have it on lock from year to year. It supports all shenanigans including sleeping at random hours. I hope you guys don't get snowed in again, though! ^^^

Speaking of snow, will AngelCam become the contest MVP for two years running?

Blackajack
Aug 5, 2012

Ottakringer Helles

Get ready for one of the craziest (and best!) weekends of your life

Fun fact: there's a cash bounty every year to whoever can get us a 500 point question, that usually goes over $1k.

rawillkill
Aug 15, 2009

Blackajack posted:

Get ready for one of the craziest (and best!) weekends of your life

Fun fact: there's a cash bounty every year to whoever can get us a 500 point question, that usually goes over $1k.

the 2019 bounty is currently at:

$20

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

This contest is by far one of the most positive and successful goon projects in the history of this dead gay website. I love it, and everyone who plays. I’d also love it if you, mr or ms first-time-reader, were to join us. Seeing people experience the contest for the first time is one of my favorite parts of the whole thing.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

imma try to get the Saturday off (no guarantees, I already have the 30th and 6th off for PAX/Vacation) but I already know I have Friday and Sunday off.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

This is the event that got me into doing weekly "Geeks Who Drink" pub trivia, just to scratch the itch. Looking forward to the one Indycar question a year I'm able to answer. :D

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
Every year I mean to watch a bunch if Disney Channel junk and I never do. Oh well.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
Thanks for the 2 months notice. Do you put your Christmas decorations up in September.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

I'm ready

CherryCat
Feb 21, 2011

That's a strawberry.

College Slice
It's always time for trivia.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

has anyone seen chadge? i heard he was in here

Blackajack
Aug 5, 2012

Ottakringer Helles

Schweinhund posted:

Thanks for the 2 months notice. Do you put your Christmas decorations up in September.

It's 54 hours long, gives people plenty of time to make plans n' stuff

Dr. Bones
Nov 4, 2005

Private First Class in Blankman's Boot Camp of Goonery

two months gives us enough time to garner interest and snag some newbies

get in irc, nerds

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

rawillkill posted:

the 2019 bounty is currently at:

$20

Add another $50 from me.

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

What the gently caress is this non kvsc bullshit.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

BUG JUG posted:

the KVSC contest is training wheels and Duplo compared to this one :can:

(i have played in both of them. they are both fun but the rules of the 90FM contest are a LOT more stressful )

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

BUG JUG posted:

Oh hey, I didn't even know another station did this sort of thing. Shame that we missed it.

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Cant wait to play this all night long again. Had so much fun playing with you guys last year as a first timer

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

gently caress yeah (although I will probably end up participating even less than last year due to scheduling).

Bookmarked and time to go find some Emma Watson gifs.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Heres some trivia for ya: i gave the OP's mom dick for 54 hours straight :grin:

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Trivial Fursuit: Nine Hours, Nine Fursons, Nine Doors

Blue Wher
Apr 27, 2010

The Smart Baseball Dargon Sez:

"Baseball is chaos!"

His bat is signed by Carl "Yaz" Yastrzemski

rawillkill posted:

IMPORTANT DATES AND TIMES
APRIL 6 - 1am EDT - TRIVIA MOVIE SCREENING (there are usually 5-10 questions about the movie during the contest)
APRIL 8 - 3-6pm EDT - PICTURE SCAVENGER HUNT BEGINS! (scroll down to read more about this part - we need more people to join earlier for this!)
APRIL 12 - 7pm EDT - CONTEST BEGINS.
APRIL 13 - 7pm EDT - APPROX. 30 MINUTE CONTEST BREAK
APRIL 14 - 7pm EDT - APPROX. 30 MINUTE CONTEST BREAK
APRIL 14 - 1am EDT - CONTEST ENDS. (Late Monday Morning)
APRIL 14 - POST-1am EDT - We find out results (this is somewhat variable)

The 30 minute contest breaks are when Oz and whatever radio lackey is with him reading/giggling at all the team names, potentially while stoned.

Also don't forget about the final few hours, the :iiam: D A R K H O U R S :iiam:

The Shortest Path posted:

Trivial Fursuit: Nine Hours, Nine Fursons, Nine Doors

Nerd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

i don't smoke weed but i would totally smoke weed with Oz and, like, talk about obscure underground comix or whatever lol