Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Burt Sexual posted:

What about those guys that burn people alive in cages?
youre talking about what they do but dont even think its important enough to mention why they do it. you gotta keep an open mind and perhaps... an open heart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Burning people is bad but the desire to defend your religion and people I can sympathize with

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
i remember reading a story during the height of the whole ISIS thing where chinooks would go way out into the middle of the desert in the dead of night and drop guys off on quads with long rifles and thermal optics and all that cool poo poo and they'd go merc any warm body with a gun at range and lol probably a fair number of sheep farmers got blapped along with the daesh grunts

anyway gun violence is wack

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Cops relinquish their personhood when they acquire the shield. They'll even tell you theyre what separates us from them

maker
Jun 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

The White Dragon posted:

banning guns will only go so far, the real core of the problem is mental illness. it needs to be addressed from many directions at once. we need to make mental health services more available and affordable to everyone who might need it. we need to destigmatize their use. we also need to further research treatment regimens and medications to establish an empirical standard rather than leaving it the field of soft science it currently is.

the problem with modern methods is that they're still very hit-or-miss, maybe it helps, maybe it doesn't, maybe you spend years experimenting with different chemical regulators until you find one that works, at least until your body builds up its resistance to it and then you're back at square one. we're getting there slowly, but we're still at the throw-poo poo-at-the-wall-and-see-what-sticks phase except thankfully companies aren't allowed to lock people in padded cells, pump them full of research chemicals, and drill into their skulls any more.

i won't make any accusations about what's causing our slow progress, but our current approach and cultural hangups over mental health treatments need to be reevaluated.

a lot of it probably stems from the ennui of a society that's on the cusp of breaking through into the post-scarcity age but still insists on forcing people into an industrial era mindset too but that's a topic for another day

e: tl;dr :btroll:

Lol. "We need to destigmatize mental health research and treatment!" *describes the field as 'soft science'*

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Is it really a mental illness to shoot your boss after he fires you?

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

maker posted:

Lol. "We need to destigmatize mental health research and treatment!" *describes the field as 'soft science'*

I mean... brains are complicated? We don't have fully analytical predictive models of what one given dose or molecule versus another will really result in, so I think that's what he means by that? It's not meant to be derogatory, although I guess in recent years STEMlords have cast enough unwarranted dispersions on those areas outside their field of appreciation and understanding I can see how one could feel that way.

maker
Jun 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
soft science isn't an actual thing and I have mainly seen that term used in a derogatory sense. Some stemlords claim that being a "soft science" means that it is the easiest of the sciences and research monies should be spent in a more useful area like chemistry or engineering :rolleyes:

quote:

i won't make any accusations about what's causing our slow progress, but our current approach and cultural hangups over mental health treatments need to be reevaluated.
Like?

maker fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Feb 17, 2019

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

maker posted:

that was one of the most convincing posts ive ever read
he makes a point that the real core of the problem is mental illness and the rest of his post supports that statement better than anything else ive ever seen

maker posted:

soft science isn't an actual thing
a soft science is one where you cant simply measure a quantified result. in a derogatory sense this could be spun to suggest that practitioners in those fields could unknowingly be spinning their wheels at any given time

gary oldmans diary fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Feb 17, 2019

maker
Jun 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Well even by that definition it is still not a soft science. In both psychopathology and general psychology there's both quanatative and qualitative research.

quote:

Qualitative research is empirical research where the data are not in the form of numbers (Punch, 1998, p. 4).Qualitative researchers use a variety of methods to develop deep understandings of how people perceive their social realities and in consequence, how they act within the social world.

For example, diary accounts, open-ended questionnaires, documents, participant observation, and ethnography.

quote:

Quantitative research gathers data in a numerical form which can be put into categories, or in rank order, or measured in units of measurement. This type of data can be used to construct graphs and tables of raw data. Quantitative researchers aim to establish general laws of behavior and phenonomon across different settings/contexts. Research is used to test a theory and ultimately support or reject it.

I don't know if this is what you're referring to but it was I was thinking of when you said " a soft science is one where you cant simply measure a quantified result"

I am not discussing the content of the post merely the use of the word soft-science to describe the field of psychology and mental health. It is counterproductive because the definition of the word itself and the way many people interpret it are two different things. To some the field's research and findings are discredited by it being refereed to as a soft.

maker fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Feb 17, 2019

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
psychology has built up a lot of data over time
either way im not responsible for the term/phrase. im just a messenger

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

Bag Flying At Noon, (2024)
Perhaps if getting therapy wasn’t behind a paywall.

Even with insurance, a single visit can still cost $100 or more if you haven’t hit your deductible.

Or even if you have hit it because some insurance policies are lovely, especially for people with low paying jobs or students, who incidentally are the people who just might need these services the most.

Salem Saberhagen
Feb 23, 2009
A talk with your local clergyman is always free, and that's what these shooters really need.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Salem Saberhagen posted:

A talk with your local clergyman is always free, and that's what these shooters really need.

The only people who believe in Jesus any more are the ones who think He wants them to kill people.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Therapy isn't really available to like 95% of working class people.

It's expensive, unless you find someone who will do a sliding scale. Good luck if you're outside of a larger urban area.

It's time consuming - finding a therapist you click with and then going to see them weekly (or more) is rough.

While I agree that psychology etc. isnt a 'soft science,' we are basically barely scratching the surface of what we know and understand about the brain and mental wellness. Out in the world, for every professional there are at least 5 crystal magic woo people.

There is still a huge social stigma. Coworkers might give you poo poo if they find out. Your job security might be threatened. This anxiety is not considered or written off by middle class types but it is very real.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Feb 17, 2019

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

maker posted:

To some the field's research and findings are discredited by it being refereed to as a soft.

well thos peeple should WISENT HE FUK UP :argh:

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Also therapy will only help so much. When you are fundamentally a serf and living under constant anxiety that you're a step away from homelessness and death in the gutter then brains will get broken.

If you're middle class it helps more. If you're poor then therapy can't fix your poverty which is likely the source of most of your issues.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
It's almost like people shouldn't have to worry about basic needs being met and then they maybe wouldn't shoot up their workplace idk.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Moridin920 posted:

Therapy isn't really available to like 95% of working class people.

It's expensive, unless you find someone who will do a sliding scale. Good luck if you're outside of a larger urban area.

It's time consuming - finding a therapist you click with and then going to see them weekly (or more) is rough.

While I agree that psychology etc. isnt a 'soft science,' we are basically barely scratching the surface of what we know and understand about the brain and mental wellness. Out in the world, for every professional there are at least 5 crystal magic woo people.

There is still a huge social stigma. Coworkers might give you poo poo if they find out. Your job security might be threatened. This anxiety is not considered or written off by middle class types but it is very real.

The parts I bolded for sure. My SO has been in therapy for years, and the number of shrinks who only do appointments M-F, 9am-4pm is insane - working people can't take off work once a week, once every two weeks, or even once a month for that kind of poo poo.

Also, the loving New Agers are a threat to the entire discipline.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Moridin920 posted:

Also therapy will only help so much. When you are fundamentally a serf and living under constant anxiety that you're a step away from homelessness and death in the gutter then brains will get broken.

If you're middle class it helps more. If you're poor then therapy can't fix your poverty which is likely the source of most of your issues.

This. If this dude had shot a billionaire for closing his factory we'd all be sympathetic, he just thought too small. Anyone who feels genuine rage that the forces of capitalism have defined their existence as unnecessary is labeled "mentally ill" - another victory for the status quo.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
Just don't get broke brain. It's as simple as that.
That extends to not letting others get broke brain, and the way to do that is to never conceive.
If you have broke brain, and you do manage to conceive, your child will absolutely have broke brain.
So, in conclusion, if you have broke brain, chop off your own balls.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002

BuckarooBanzai posted:

This. If this dude had shot a billionaire for closing his factory we'd all be sympathetic, he just thought too small. Anyone who feels genuine rage that the forces of capitalism have defined their existence as unnecessary is labeled "mentally ill" - another victory for the status quo.

Yeah but no matter how unfairly you've been treated by the system killing random coworkers who are subject to the same poo poo deal as you is kind of a dick move, right? I mean god I hope so.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Shooting your boss is actually the opposite of broke brains: it's woke brains

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

broke: shooting the innocent
woke: shooting the guilty

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
So did this guy turn the gun on himself at the end of it or
Nope he got arrested and now we are going to have a long trial and prison sentence because ???
Like he did the right thing by killing people but now he too needs to die.
Like everyone just needs to die. Desensitize suicide and mass murder just like in Fartnite

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Sjs00 posted:

So did this guy turn the gun on himself at the end of it or
Nope he got arrested and now we are going to have a long trial and prison sentence because ???

He dead. Think the police shot him.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

LabyaMynora posted:

He dead. Think the police shot him.

Okay good. We all need to just stop existing though frfr
Why are pregnancies so great? It's just another stupid hairless ape that's gonna consume processed meat until too fat to loving move

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Sjs00 posted:

Okay good. We all need to just stop existing though frfr
Why are pregnancies so great? It's just another stupid hairless ape that's gonna consume processed meat until too fat to loving move

please dont doxx me

tmm3k
Jul 19, 2006
...excuse me...

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
arguing with and brow beating my lazy and/or incompetent supervisors probably saved me not only from doing lots of tiresome work but lots of tiresome shootings in the blue collar days

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Relayer posted:

Yeah but no matter how unfairly you've been treated by the system killing random coworkers who are subject to the same poo poo deal as you is kind of a dick move, right? I mean god I hope so.

He was aiming to kill the company. Unfortunately, a company is made up of people

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

maker posted:

"We need to destigmatize mental health!" *says mental illness makes you a violent murderer*

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

tmm3k posted:

...excuse me...

holy poo poo dude :five:

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Who What Now posted:

"We need to destigmatize mental health!" *says mental illness makes you a violent murderer*

Yeah it's the treatment part that needs a fresh look I think

I am Toni Lippi
Aug 16, 2004
You know, if you shoot your coworkers and four cops in the dead of winter, steam will rise up from the wounds. Indians believed it was their soul escaping from the body.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Relayer posted:

Yes, absolutely. But serious question how would you feel if he saved his bullets for a board meeting?

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

I am Toni Lippi posted:

You know, if you shoot your coworkers and four cops in the dead of winter, steam will rise up from the wounds. Indians believed it was their soul escaping from the body.

That's bullshit. Cops don't have souls.

maker
Jun 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Moridin920 posted:

While I agree that psychology etc. isnt a 'soft science,' we are basically barely scratching the surface of what we know and understand about the brain and mental wellness.

I agree with the rest of your post but not this. There has been enormous strides of understanding from a scientific perspective in regards mental illness/wellness, social behavior, and the brain. These should not be discounted. Comparing contemporary psychology with the psychology of the 70s, it is quite different. We certainly don’t know everything but there’s a multitude of scientific theories, not hypothesis, that are related to these things.

The thing with psych research is that it explains tendencies, not absolutes, of human behavior. There’s so much variation of environment and biology that finding research that says “this occurs 100% of the time to all humans” is highly irregular. Research has figured out many of these tendencies however there is certainly a huge gap in how this research is disseminated and acted upon by public officials and citizens. You can solve all the social and biological problems in academia, I don’t think the field struggles with this. It struggles with having its research understood, implemented, and acted upon by the general public. For instance; regarding mental well being, it is quite clear in the literature that being outside in nature is associated with all sorts of positive outcomes for mental and social wellbeing. However, good luck getting a policy implemented that allows for these spaces to exist. Or getting a law passed that allows people to actually spend time in nature. I believe that most public figures don’t even consider psychological well being when it comes to modifying or constructing new towns. Let alone read about it

In other words

quote:

Out in the world, for every professional there are at least 5 crystal magic woo people

maker fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Feb 17, 2019

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002

BuckarooBanzai posted:

Yes, absolutely. But serious question how would you feel if he saved his bullets for a board meeting?

It would depend on the specific culpability or actions of the people in the board meeting I guess. Like, I hate the lovely dehumanizing effects of capitalism, but I also hate the dehumanizing effect of.... killing somebody.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asshole Rose
Dec 28, 2017

tmm3k posted:

...excuse me...