Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

So, my much younger cousin was reading a book about old Hollywood or something and came across the phrase "the 'it' girl" and asked what it meant. I tried explaining using an analogy to music, how one band can seem to have all the buzz and an aura around them. He got really interested in this -- he gets really zoned in on specific topics at times -- and asked for examples. I gave him some but I know it would really make his day if I could give him a timeline of the "it" bands. But I could use your help to refine or fill out my timeline. Sorry for such an odd request but he's a unique kid who is mildly on the spectrum and this is the kind of thing that will make him very happy.

So what I'm looking for is not the most popular band at a given time, or the best selling band, but the one who seemed to be on everyone's lips, who had all the buzz, who basically seemed like the coolest band in the world at the time. And probably over a rolling 6 month average. Sure there was a couple weeks in 1993 where 4 Non Blondes ruled the world but that kind of one hit wonder buzz isn't what I'm talking about either.

So as some examples,
1964-65 - The Beatles
1966 - The Rolling Stones (?)
1967 - The Doors
1968 - Led Zeppelin (?)
1973 - Pink Floyd
1977 - Fleetwood Mac (?)
1979 - Devo (?)
1983 - U2
1985 - Duran Duran (?)
1987 - Guns n Roses
1989 - The Cure (?)
1991-92 - Nirvana
1993 - Beck
1994 - Nine Inch Nails
2002ish - The Killers
2003ish -- White Stripes

I'm sure these choices can be refined down and are debatable. Anyway, any input is appreciated. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

the coolest band for which group of people? like i don't think that black americans, for instance, were particularly excited about nine inch nails in 1994

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

A human heart posted:

the coolest band for which group of people? like i don't think that black americans, for instance, were particularly excited about nine inch nails in 1994

White middle America edgy / hipster / underground scene kids. Write what you know, they say, and that's what I know.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
The Killers? The Killers are and were fuckin' poo poo.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Cher

Ouroboros
Apr 23, 2011
The Strokes were massively hyped in 2001

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

Pretty sure it's just The Beatles, then Michael Jackson, then The Beatles again.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
Uh...Green Day is the best band ever.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
1986-present: Bolt Thrower

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

Actually it’s

1986-1999: Bolt Thrower
1999-Present: Santana feat. Rob Thomas of Matchbox 20

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

Elton John, Limp Bizkit, Enya, Warren G

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy
The list is not white enough.

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie

screamin and creamin posted:

The list is not white enough.

Jimi Hendrix
Living Color
Prince
Chuck Berry
Rage Against the Machine

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
I'm white and that list is pretty spot on to my recollection. Maybe add Limp Bizkit to 1999?

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

How dare you ignore Phish, the real “IT” band of 2003.

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie
This is the list. These are the real musicians. Everything else is just posing.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
1994 - Pip farting on a snare drum.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Every kid I talk to in their early-to-mid 20s find The Strokes to be untouchable royalty and I distinctly remember them at the time being constantly poo poo on for being both lame and rudely co-opting the "indie" label as if it were an actual definable sound and not simply a banner classification.

It's whatever was on MTV at the time you were a young, impressionable child I guess.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I'd say around '69 to '71 it would be The Who, because that's when right when they were at their peak. Tommy, Live at Leeds, then Who's Next all came out in succession in that time span, the band was touring non stop selling out stadiums around the world and pretty much invented Arena Rock.

Ouroboros posted:

The Strokes were massively hyped in 2001

And this.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Mar 6, 2019

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Yeah, you couldn’t go anywhere in 1979 without hearing somebody talk about Devo. Sure.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

caligulamprey posted:

Every kid I talk to in their early-to-mid 20s find The Strokes to be untouchable royalty and I distinctly remember them at the time being constantly poo poo on for being both lame and rudely co-opting the "indie" label as if it were an actual definable sound and not simply a banner classification.

So, like, they really got into the Strokes when they were 3? Weird.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

BigFactory posted:

Yeah, you couldn’t go anywhere in 1979 without hearing somebody talk about Devo. Sure.
The buzz was all over the place about Whip It, which would be released In 1980 and played all the time on MTV, which would start broadcasting in 1981.

Meanwhile little known niche albums like Bad Girls and Off the Wall sat in record store corners collecting dust.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

the biggest ones that come immediately to mind are Vampire Weekend and Kendrick Lamar.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
It's gotta be Michael Jackson for most of the 80s, at LEAST 1982 when Thriller came out. His music was everywhere, and people used to go NUTS at his concerts, to a level of hype only ever matched by The Beatles and Elvis. You don't really see that kind of icon anymore in music.

I'd also put in David Bowie for a good portion of the 70s. Probably ABBA and/or the Bee Gees at some point in the 70s too.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Yeah in the US, 1978 WAS Saturday Night Fever. Pretty much completely.

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Lorde.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
Can't give much input prior to 2003 other than Garth Brooks or George Straight should probably be there during the 90s when Wal-Mart Supercenters were first being built and country music made incredible amount of money. Late 90s would have to be either Backstreet Boys or Brittany Spears. Radiohead is absolutely in there given we've had nearly 20 years of jokes about them archived on the internet.

Were the Killers popular before Hot Fuss was released in 2004? I hadn't heard of them until Somebody Told Me was played twice every hour for months there at the end of 2003. The White Stripes were definitely the "it" band when Elephant dropped. I think Outkast had a 1-2 combo with Hey Ya and The Way You Move as singles and it spawned an influx of dopey white kids doing acoustic guitar hip hop covers, a trend that exists to this day. Kanye released The College Dropout around that time, too, and he was "it" until he got that Stronger money and went off on the deep end. Remember there always being news about Usher or Justin Timberlake in the mid 2000s as well. St. Elsewhere by Gnarls Barkley was something that I'd learned about here on SA shortly before its release. I listened to it non-stop for a solid two or three weeks and then Crazy was a single and I struggle to find a single song I've heard more times than that on radio stations--maybe Kids by MGMT.

Taylor Swift and Beyonce were both it. The Black Keys became "it" in 2010 and it was a very funny time socially because everyone I knew who was into them became ultra hipster about it with such gusto and salt that I'm still on blood pressure meds.

It's a lot harder to distinguish "it" bands after that because marketing went haywire once YouTube blew up. Justin Bieber, Miley Cyrus, Jonas Brothers, and other young acts had social media companies working overtime to pump that poo poo out and I just couldn't keep up with top 40 anymore. Every day I check out the trending page on YouTube and the top three videos are always some new pop release with >5M views in <24 hours, a video of a white dude with a surprised look on his face pointing at something, and a video about makeup.

midivan
Mar 7, 2019

Bloodplay it again posted:

Were the Killers popular before Hot Fuss was released in 2004? I hadn't heard of them until Somebody Told Me was played twice every hour for months there at the end of 2003.

I didn't even really notice The Killers until When You Were Young was featured in Guitar Hero 3 in like 2007
And then 2008 Human was being played everywhere, at least it really felt like that

2002 is a tough year though, I don't really remember what was the big thing back then, Wilco? Beck? Interpol?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I believe it was Genesis who did the song "it", OP.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Pennywise

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002

A human heart posted:

Except for the ones who were. Black people- being people, can have different opinions!

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Relayer posted:

Except for the ones who were. Black people- being people, can have different opinions!

of course there are some black people who like nine inch nails, but it wasn't a band that was particularly popular among black people more generally in 1994.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
I'm a black guy who spent too much of my allowance trying to collect the Halos in 1995. Nine Inch Nails were never an "it"band.

Aside from the standard Michael/Madonna/Prince, you need to make room for, like, the Supremes in your calculation.

If you're talking about spilled ink/think pieces (regardless of commercial success), then Odd Future and Arcade Fire should be included.

The Modern Leper fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Apr 11, 2019

Shovelbearer
Oct 11, 2003
Paragon of Lexicon
There was nothing like finding the "Sin" CD single at Camelot.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Trent Reznor barely got his first #1 on billboard thanks to Old Town Road. NIN was huge and popular but probably yeah not the IT band or whatever.

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde
Everything is fragmented now, this no longer exists.

Grudgerm
May 4, 2012

by Reene
Coil?

immortalyawn
May 28, 2013

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
1600 - 2019 - Underground demo cassettes. Posers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheIndividual
Apr 22, 2010
List is definitely missing REM, Radiohead, Sonic Youth & some punk band. Maybe the Sex Pistols, maybe the Ramones.