Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

TheIndividual posted:

List is definitely missing REM, Radiohead, Sonic Youth & some punk band. Maybe the Sex Pistols, maybe the Ramones.
Sonic Youth was never an 'it' band. Influential for sure, but not mainstream accessible. REM and Radiohead for sure on the mid 90s alternative list though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheIndividual
Apr 22, 2010

sticklefifer posted:

Sonic Youth was never an 'it' band. Influential for sure, but not mainstream accessible. REM and Radiohead for sure on the mid 90s alternative list though.

Really depends on the definition of "it" band, but I was taking it to mean good critical reception, high influence, some mass appeal, and capturing the "zeitgeist" however you wanna define that.

Sonic Youth were cool. Daydream Nation is a monumental recording and solidified them in the rock canon, and with that influence they raised the visibility of a zillion other bands, pretty much making 90s indie rock a scene. The whole slacker generation owes a lot to the delivery of Thurston Moore, the riot grrl movement owes a lot to Kim Gordon, and they both were great cheerleaders of whatever bands they liked. Even if not a ton of people listened to their music, those who were into anything left of the dial were at the very least aware of Sonic Youth's existence and knew of them as figureheads.

TheIndividual
Apr 22, 2010
Also I would add War On Drugs to the mid 2010s. That band got stupidly huge in a way I don't think anyone anticipated. Same with Kurt Vile. Every time I get in a Lyft these days the person driving is playing Kurt Vile.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

TheIndividual posted:

Also I would add War On Drugs to the mid 2010s. That band got stupidly huge in a way I don't think anyone anticipated. Same with Kurt Vile. Every time I get in a Lyft these days the person driving is playing Kurt Vile.

Imagine Dragons are bigger than both of these. This is way more niche than you think dude.

TheIndividual
Apr 22, 2010

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Imagine Dragons are bigger than both of these. This is way more niche than you think dude.

Yes, but Imagine Dragons have never been considered cool, so that's sorta missing the point too. I dunno, this game is weird.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Popular culture thinks imagine dragons are cool, even if in reality they suck. Popular culture has no idea who the gently caress the war on drugs are, and even I don’t know who the gently caress the other act you mentioned are.

Sonic Youth were popular with college radio types in the 90’s, but popular culture was listening to Nirvana at the time and couldn’t be bothered. Hell, when I saw them at lollapalooza 94 or whatever year it was, most everyone left once Hole was done with their set before sonic youth even took the stage (and as a sonic youth fan, I wish I had too, because they had the lowest energy set for a headliner that I’ve ever seen).

Shovelbearer
Oct 11, 2003
Paragon of Lexicon
Personally I've always felt that the "it" band was more about who the magazines and later websites are talking about, and who hip celebrities name drop, rather than the more populist interpretation that would have had it be Hall & Oates or someone for much of the eighties.

TheIndividual
Apr 22, 2010

Shovelbearer posted:

Personally I've always felt that the "it" band was more about who the magazines and later websites are talking about, and who hip celebrities name drop, rather than the more populist interpretation that would have had it be Hall & Oates or someone for much of the eighties.

Yeah, it has nothing to do with popular culture deciding as a whole who is "it". Edie Sedgwick and Chloe Sevigny were it girls, they sure as hell weren't the most popular.

empty baggie posted:

Popular culture thinks imagine dragons are cool, even if in reality they suck. Popular culture has no idea who the gently caress the war on drugs are, and even I don’t know who the gently caress the other act you mentioned are.

Sonic Youth were popular with college radio types in the 90’s, but popular culture was listening to Nirvana at the time and couldn’t be bothered. Hell, when I saw them at lollapalooza 94 or whatever year it was, most everyone left once Hole was done with their set before sonic youth even took the stage (and as a sonic youth fan, I wish I had too, because they had the lowest energy set for a headliner that I’ve ever seen).

You saw Sonic Youth as a headliner in 94, what makes you think you should know who the "it" band is these days? I'm younger than you, and even I still feel out of touch with the modern underground.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

TheIndividual posted:

Yeah, it has nothing to do with popular culture deciding as a whole who is "it". Edie Sedgwick and Chloe Sevigny were it girls, they sure as hell weren't the most popular.

You saw Sonic Youth as a headliner in 94, what makes you think you should know who the "it" band is these days? I'm younger than you, and even I still feel out of touch with the modern underground.

You’re just not cool. Sorry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

BTS