Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Masterful trolling from Ukraine: 'Miracle Queen' has aired... without an English dub, unlike the first part.

This is Putin's doing, isn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Payndz posted:

Masterful trolling from Ukraine: 'Miracle Queen' has aired... without an English dub, unlike the first part.

This is Putin's doing, isn't it?

Conflating Ukraine with Russia will not make you a lot of Ukrainian friends. Well, some I guess, but others not so much.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

cant cook creole bream posted:

Conflating Ukraine with Russia will not make you a lot of Ukrainian friends. Well, some I guess, but others not so much.
:thejoke:

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
It looked like a decent finale. Can't wait to rewatch it about 3 more times.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
So, 'Miracle Queen':

Season 1: establish Chloe as horrible.
Season 2: offer Chloe a path to redemption, or at least the chance to become less horrible, by revealing more about her character and why she acts that way.
Season 3: pretty much ignore her.
Season 3 finale: nah, gently caress her, she's as selfish and villainous as Lila again (she even tried to grab an akuma!), plus now she actively hates Ladybug.

Edit: Astruc has been trolling rabid Chloe fans on Twitter by saying nope, she's irredeemable, suckers.

Also, when Ladybug eventually passes on the miracle box, the last thing she'll remember will be Chloe yelling at her when she was 14. (Maybe it's from recently having had a relative die of Alzheimer's, but Fu's ending felt a lot more unsettling to me than I'm sure it was meant to. The man has had almost his entire life wiped from his mind!)

Small Strange Bird fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Oct 18, 2019

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Just tell me if a) it was finally released in English and b) if it spoils any of the two remaining episodes, cuz I'm trying to avoid it like the plague.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Oracle posted:

Just tell me if a) it was finally released in English and b) if it spoils any of the two remaining episodes, cuz I'm trying to avoid it like the plague.
There's a version with good English subtitles (everything makes sense, the jokes work and it doesn't appear to be machine-translated), and it doesn't seem to spoil the remaining two, no. It's 21:21 long.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Shoulda went for the kill and called it "the Ukraine", nobody would've missed the joke then!

Anyway I last watched this show in season one, besides maybe a few episodes here and there and right now one of the newer ones from season three (with the backstory for the old man master and the extremely hungry monster). Has it changed massively since or is it still pretty formulaic with a vague overarching plot that barely goes anywhere? Because frankly I dunno if I have the patience for a story that keeps going nowhere. The love square was bad enough and I know they at best dropped in somewhere during season 3 since it appeared to be present in the odd season 2 episodes I watched and the newer one.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
The constant secret keeping frustrated me until I realised why it mattered for Ladybug and Cat Noire but not the others - the other Miraculouses are cool but not disastrously powerful, like no one's looking to steal the Last Chance. The Creation and Destruction ones however are terribly dangerous if they are brought together - if they knew each other's secrets, then if Marinette or Adrien got Akumatised, they'd just have to break into the other one's house and steal the other miraculous and game over.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Seems that the long-promised hour long New York special (which was planned as a tie-in with another Zag project) is finally going ahead, as French animation house Method is recruiting artists for it.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
My son loves this show and I felt like the only adult who actively enjoys it. Glad I found this thread. I was so confused about the continuity.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

BioEnchanted posted:

The constant secret keeping frustrated me until I realised why it mattered for Ladybug and Cat Noire but not the others - the other Miraculouses are cool but not disastrously powerful, like no one's looking to steal the Last Chance. The Creation and Destruction ones however are terribly dangerous if they are brought together - if they knew each other's secrets, then if Marinette or Adrien got Akumatised, they'd just have to break into the other one's house and steal the other miraculous and game over.

Yeah, like it makes a ton of sense for the secrets to be kept due to the nature of the villain. If Marinette is ever akumatized then they pretty much instantly lose, as Ladybug is needed to purify Akuma.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

MonsterEnvy posted:

Yeah, like it makes a ton of sense for the secrets to be kept due to the nature of the villain. If Marinette is ever akumatized then they pretty much instantly lose, as Ladybug is needed to purify Akuma.

Didn't one of the "Cat Noir went crazy" episodes something like, "I've never used this destruction ability on someone before"?

I've always sort of thought the writing requires Ladybug to purify akuma because this is an all-ages show, but they kind of nudged the audience to there were other, murderous avenues.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

MonsterEnvy posted:

Princess Justice is coming.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Craptacular! posted:

Didn't one of the "Cat Noir went crazy" episodes something like, "I've never used this destruction ability on someone before"?

I've always sort of thought the writing requires Ladybug to purify akuma because this is an all-ages show, but they kind of nudged the audience to there were other, murderous avenues.

They can destroy the Akuma container. However that means that the Akuma will just go out and seek new hosts and multiply the original villain.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Craptacular! posted:

Yeah, 'Dark Cupid'. Although in 'Miraculer' Cat takes a cataclysm to the chest and is hurt but not disintegrated, so maybe Ladybug (and a villain) could survive it as well on the grounds of "magic 'n' poo poo".

It's funny how for the first two seasons, the show followed the premise of "Cat can be turned evil, but if Ladybug gets taken out it's all over", then in season 3 she gets punked in several episodes.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Payndz posted:

Yeah, 'Dark Cupid'. Although in 'Miraculer' Cat takes a cataclysm to the chest and is hurt but not disintegrated, so maybe Ladybug (and a villain) could survive it as well on the grounds of "magic 'n' poo poo".

It's funny how for the first two seasons, the show followed the premise of "Cat can be turned evil, but if Ladybug gets taken out it's all over", then in season 3 she gets punked in several episodes.

Also Cat Noire's cataclysm isn't at it's full power - the host body tames it substantially. Remember when Plagg used it raw and it destroyed all of Paris? It only stopped spreading because Ladybug did her cleanup move. It's also been established multiple times that Plagg wiped out the dinosaurs.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

BioEnchanted posted:

Also Cat Noire's cataclysm isn't at it's full power - the host body tames it substantially. Remember when Plagg used it raw and it destroyed all of Paris? It only stopped spreading because Ladybug did her cleanup move. It's also been established multiple times that Plagg wiped out the dinosaurs.

I thought he also took out Atlantis. And the cataclysm Cat took to the chest wasn't a real cataclysm it was a copycat one done by an akuma, I thought.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
The spoiler-filled Brazilian TV trailer for 'Chat Blanc' is, er, a hell of a thing. Maybe it would have been a better season finale than 'Miracle Queen'...

Marinette learns Adrien is Chat Noir when he transforms to save her from an akuma, Chat finds his mother with Hawk Moth in his underground lair, Chat is akumatised and does a pretty kick-rear end hadouken in the ruins of Paris. Shame we know for sure there'll be a reset button because it should have aired earlier.

Small Strange Bird fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Oct 24, 2019

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Dammit, quote/=edit!

PowerBeard posted:

After Feast, I fully expect The revived Monks to come along and try take the miraculous back or have their own students use them to show Marionette up.

That ending opens up a big can of worms for next season.
Astruc just did a con appearance somewhere with some season 4 concept sketches suggesting exactly that is going to happen.

Of course, he lies carefully...

(Another edit: someone on Reddit pointed out that Marinette's dialogue in 'Origins' when she sees Tikki for the first time - "A giant bug! A mouse! A bug-mouse!" - directly foreshadows what happens to her in 'Kwami Buster' when she fuses miraculouseses.)

Small Strange Bird fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Nov 1, 2019

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
drat, I was just taking a shot in the dark on that one.

Trailers are up for Felix and it looks to be a strong episode. I think I'll rewatch the season in order and see how I feel about it.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Welp, looks like a long wait for season 4. Astruc did a Q&A and said it's all written and storyboarded, but they haven't started animating it yet. :sigh:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Payndz posted:

Welp, looks like a long wait for season 4. Astruc did a Q&A and said it's all written and storyboarded, but they haven't started animating it yet. :sigh:

Are all the season 3 episodes released yet? If so what's the watching order?

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Chat Blanc’s out in French today and will be out in English dub later this week, then I think Felix is the only one left.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
'Chat Blanc' did not play out as I expected. :stare:

I knew that Bunnix would appear, but I assumed she'd show up at the end to push the reset button with some time-travel fuckery.. Nope. This played out more like a (very good) TNG episode. Actually, make that DS9, because TNG would never have nailed the emotional side of Marinette and Adrien falling in love quite so well. Except this was done at turbo speed, with jokes, and Ladybug being waaaaay too happy about being in Adrien's bed for a kids' show.

And god drat, Gabe is such a poo poo. "Marinette and Adrien love each other? Yes! I can tear them apart and akumatise her!" "My beloved son is Cat Noir? YESSSS! I can akumatise him and take his miraculous - after I utterly crush his heart and then dropkick him across Paris! :toot: "

I think that's the first time we've ever seen anyone die in the show, as well. Ladybug and Hawk Moth were dead as loving doornails when Cat destroyed Paris.

Only one more episode to go this season. Then I can finally watch the whole drat thing in production order so all the reveals make sense!

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
I really wish Chat Blanc had been the finale, stretched out into two parts. It had way more going for it that Miracle Queen. Plus at least we know now what Cataclysm can really do...

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Felix (the episode, not the person) has released and a lot of fun ideas were introduced.

Multiple people being affected by one akumatized object, but still retaining their own personas feels kind of crazy. Felix (the person, not the episode) grabbing the akumatized object and communicating with Hawkmoth was prety baller too. Plus Felix's (the person, not the episode) weird ability as well....

Felix (the person, not the episode), is a mixed bag however do we really need another manipulative jerk who lies all the time. But I guess him being a magician makes things interesting... Except he's also a slightly rapey magician... :stare:

Overall an interesting episode that felt a bit rushed, but sets up stuff for the future.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I thought the best moment was Gabriel being about to bring Adrien in on the whole "I've become a supervillain to save your mother" thing, only for Adrien to interpret his 'confession' in exactly the wrong way. I guess Nathalie's in for some more disappointment.

Also about Nathalie: she's got some moves! Although having two ordinary people who can go toe to toe with supervillains, at least for a while, in the same scene felt a bit odd. Felix was a right little poo poo, though. I can understand him being angry and lashing out because his father died recently, but trying to make a deal with Hawk Moth? drat, son.

Anyway, that's season 3 done. The show really started to build on its mythology and gave the main characters a chance to develop, however slightly (or in Chloe's case, regress). Shame the completely hosed international release schedule wrecked all the subtle bits of continuity they managed to work in. Oh well. Back sometime late in 2020 for 4x01, the season finale - wait, what?

Edit: equal best bit was the "no means no!" moment where Ladybug clocks Felix right in the face for being a creep. I fully approve of this message.

Small Strange Bird fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Nov 14, 2019

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Maybe it's another clip show... You can never truely tell with this show.

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Frankly after all this poo poo those newly alive again monks will see Paris and be totally right to want to take the back their poo poo.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
We need someone willing to responsibly hold the power.

NOT a boozy manchild

NOT a hormonal teenager

But ME!

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Payndz posted:

Also about Nathalie: she's got some moves! Although having two ordinary people who can go toe to toe with supervillains, at least for a while, in the same scene felt a bit odd. Felix was a right little poo poo, though. I can understand him being angry and lashing out because his father died recently, but trying to make a deal with Hawk Moth? drat, son.

For Nathalie, she wasn't doing anything ridiculously superhuman, just some careful blocks and general badassery, so it didn't break the conceit too much. But I have no idea why Felix was able to just dodge point-blank lasers. I hope there's some special explanation, because what's the point of the Miraculous making people stronger and more agile if random people can just do that in this universe.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Well, Felix is a Magician, hense him having a similar vision thing Adrian and Marinette has. As for reflexes, who knows, maybe it's in the family.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Another example of the show setting up things well in advance and not drawing attention to them (like Fu's background cameos and Alix's watch in season 1): Felix's surname is Graham de Vanilly. Emilie's movie, from all the way back in 'Gorizilla', was a Graham Films production. Its logo is two interlocked rings...

I'm half-expecting Astruc to reveal that the first character we see on screen, the ginger-haired guy who opens the limo door for Aurore in 'Stormy Weather', was Gabriel's college roommate who set him up with Emilie.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

For Nathalie, she wasn't doing anything ridiculously superhuman, just some careful blocks and general badassery, so it didn't break the conceit too much. But I have no idea why Felix was able to just dodge point-blank lasers. I hope there's some special explanation, because what's the point of the Miraculous making people stronger and more agile if random people can just do that in this universe.

Felix was specifically asked by Adrien if he was still studying karate, to which he replied with 'you know it!' while he was hiding Plagg's cheese and being a shithead. I assume that's why he was breaking out all the kung fu moves.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Is there any way to watch the non netflix released episodes in english?

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Jerkface posted:

Is there any way to watch the non netflix released episodes in english?

YouTube for all but the 2nd half of the finale (which I think is still only in Ukrainian)

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Interesting note: Astruc said on Twitter that Ladybug remembers everything she experienced in the Bad Future in 'Cat Blanc'. So Marinette now knows that somehow, her telling Adrien that she loves him will lead to Cat Noir learning her identity and being akumatised, and Paris being destroyed (and herself and Hawk Moth dying).

Which in terms of production order adds extra meaning to her finally being willing to let Adrien and Kagami get together (and her getting together with Luka) at the end of 'Miracle Queen'.

BTW, my phone tried to autocorrect 'Luka' to 'akuma'.

Edit: there's now an English dub of 'Miracle Queen'.

Small Strange Bird fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Nov 26, 2019

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Why the heck was Lila absent in the finale?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Takoluka posted:

Why the heck was Lila absent in the finale?

To keep the negative focus onto Chloe, I'd assume.