Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Senerio posted:

To keep the negative focus onto Chloe, I'd assume.

I'm mad, because Lila is the best character in the show, and to brush her aside in favor of Ctrl+Zing all of Chloe's development was baffling.

Lila's basically a Madoka villain that would work with Kyubey to make more witches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Payndz posted:

Interesting note: Astruc said on Twitter that Ladybug remembers everything she experienced in the Bad Future in 'Cat Blanc'. So Marinette now knows that somehow, her telling Adrien that she loves him will lead to Cat Noir learning her identity and being akumatised, and Paris being destroyed (and herself and Hawk Moth dying).

Which in terms of production order adds extra meaning to her finally being willing to let Adrien and Kagami get together (and her getting together with Luka) at the end of 'Miracle Queen'.

BTW, my phone tried to autocorrect 'Luka' to 'akuma'.

Edit: there's now an English dub of 'Miracle Queen'.

Huh, interesting!

I think I actually like that a bit less than the way it seemed as presented--just an organic development of Marinette being insecure over how close Adrien and Kagami were--but maybe I'd appreciate the effect more if I'd seen Cat Blanc first, as intended.

(Also, after rewatching Loveater and Miracle Queen the other night: I like that the ice cream scene implied that Marinette was also attracted to Kagami. Without awkwardly shoehorning in "the orange and the blackberry are like sisters!" this time.)

Oracle posted:

Felix was specifically asked by Adrien if he was still studying karate, to which he replied with 'you know it!' while he was hiding Plagg's cheese and being a shithead. I assume that's why he was breaking out all the kung fu moves.

I could buy that as an explanation if Felix was just doing the kind of hand-to-hand fighting Nathalie was doing against them. But he was dodging bullets. Until stated otherwise, I'm just going to assume Felix is actually Neo.

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

(Also, after rewatching Loveater and Miracle Queen the other night: I like that the ice cream scene implied that Marinette was also attracted to Kagami. Without awkwardly shoehorning in "the orange and the blackberry are like sisters!" this time.)

Such a French solution to end things in a ménage à trois.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Any news on a Netflix release or could Ladybug be destined for Disney +?

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

TV Zombie posted:

Any news on a Netflix release or could Ladybug be destined for Disney +?
According to The Independent Miraculous is indeed on the Disney+ list, but since it's already on Netflix presumably not until those rights expire. (Disney has been co-producing the show from season 2 onwards, so they'll want it in their orbit as soon as possible.)

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

drat you Disney +!

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
so watching Kawmibuster on Netflix:

"If I figure out who he [Chat Noir] is then I have to give up my Miraculous and Ladybug." What? Why is that a thing?

"If you discovered who Ladybug was then you'd have to give back your Miraculous" Was this ever established before? I thought they only kept it secret to keep each other safe.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I noticed that too when I finally got to watch them.

I think they're retconning that in to add more drama to the secret identity stuff.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
Cat Blanc: Oh my heart...

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Since Ladybug is now the Guardian you'd think she'd need to find out Cat Noir's true identity sooner or later. Let's see how long Astruc and co can string that out before addressing it (even if it's by coming up with some bullshit excuse for why she can't).

Also, the UK finally got season 2 on Netflix today! :toot: So we're only like a year behind the rest of the world.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Payndz posted:

Since Ladybug is now the Guardian you'd think she'd need to find out Cat Noir's true identity sooner or later. Let's see how long Astruc and co can string that out before addressing it (even if it's by coming up with some bullshit excuse for why she can't).

Also, the UK finally got season 2 on Netflix today! :toot: So we're only like a year behind the rest of the world.

I mean in Cat Blanc: Adrian figured it out and even if he didn't say anything, he didn't have to give back Miraculous and he still used it to save her

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I think it's more a safety thing. If you know the identities and are Akumatized, then it's kind of an auto win for Hawkmoth. So ideally it would be safer for it to be passed on.

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Yeah I kinda assumed that not being allowed to know identities was specific to this situation, with the evil Hawkmoth looking to nuke the timeline with the miraculouses. Normally knowing who is behind what wouldn't matter because nobody is there to akumatize you into giving over the keys to magic nuclear wish.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

"Season 5" now out on US Netflix! The wait was kinda ridiculous so I will no doubt binge through it and anxiously wait for the next set of episodes.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

I watched the new episodes and all I have to say is that in a universe full of dense motherfuckers Gabriel has got to be the king of dense motherfuckers. Also the most selfish. Like jfc dude you’re not even doing it for Emilie anymore, it’s all about you.

Nathalie please just grow some common sense and stop enabling the giant manchild who only returns your affection when you hurt yourself for his benefit. Please.

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?

Alien Sex Manual posted:

I watched the new episodes and all I have to say is that in a universe full of dense motherfuckers Gabriel has got to be the king of dense motherfuckers. Also the most selfish. Like jfc dude you’re not even doing it for Emilie anymore, it’s all about you.

Nathalie please just grow some common sense and stop enabling the giant manchild who only returns your affection when you hurt yourself for his benefit. Please.

It would be pretty funny if Hawkmoth is only defeated after Nathalie gets pissed off and changes all of Gabriel's passwords while he's out.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Caught the first three episodes of Ladybug on US Netflix and it's been crazy quick in terms of pacing With Ladybug beating Feast and undoing the damage he did, does that mean that there are more miraculouses at the temple? Could Hawkmoth go to the temple now to get the other miraculouses? How did he get his current miraculous and the peacock miraculous and does it explain why the peacock one is damaged? Why does Hawkmoth think that getting all the Miraculouses will heal his wife?

Also, Marinette using all the miraculouses at the same time was amazing.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

TV Zombie posted:

Caught the first three episodes of Ladybug on US Netflix and it's been crazy quick in terms of pacing With Ladybug beating Feast and undoing the damage he did, does that mean that there are more miraculouses at the temple? Could Hawkmoth go to the temple now to get the other miraculouses? How did he get his current miraculous and the peacock miraculous and does it explain why the peacock one is damaged? Why does Hawkmoth think that getting all the Miraculouses will heal his wife?

Also, Marinette using all the miraculouses at the same time was amazing.

[quote]He found them at the ruins of the old temple from when the guardian fled with the miraculous box. Its also how he got the book that had all the miraculous lore. If you combine the lady bug and cat noir miraculous together you get to make a wish even though it comes at a terrible cost (see cat blanc).[/spoiler]

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Season 4 will apparently have at least one monk from the returned temple coming to Paris looking for "his" miraculous box. That's implied by some leaked production art, anyway.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Finally finished the last season of Ladybuy on US Netflix and enjoyed it. I'm curious about the new love interests for Marinette and Adrien and if that goes anywhere since an earlier episode this season showed the potential for complete disaster if Adrien figured out who Ladybug really is. (How did Ladybug survive that Cat Blanc blast?) How does Marinette know what phrases to use for the different Kwamis? Is that just from her training with Master Fu?

Man...Chloe is such a brat...

When is Season 4 supposed to come out and will it still be available on US Netflix or when it's finished, will the series transition to Disney XD?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
An episode and a half in:
Man, gently caress Marinette.

(chameleon and animaestro that is. Hawkmoth, save us)

Hawkmoth is literally saving the whole show. He's the only good character anymore. Bless his toilet evil.

my takeaway is that if they give the miracle box to Hawkmoth and let him do his hosed up death revival wish thing, he'd probably open the gates to hell for like fifteen minutes before things get fixed and then he gets to actually keep the miraculouses safe, and Marinette won't be empowered to aid Paris into being miserable.

Watching Reflekdoll. Okay, making the new models is probably what took so long. But also it's still the main cast being kinda assholes.
Okay episode otherwise.

Well holy poo poo the first couple of minutes of Weredad, huh. Hope it lives up to this poo poo drat. Also poor dad can't loving fit into the balcony. His head is barely going through lmao.
Pretty good episode! But this really solidifies that without Chloe as a bad person, they're resorting to Marinette causing the akumas. Making her seem awful.

Ep 8. I am fuckinglosing it at the fireman actually helping Marinette get a concussion.
Hawkmoth: This Lila girl is... ASTOUNDING!
loving love hawkmoth

ep 9. Chloe parrying the akuma is super cool. Marinette's doing her so dirty.

Oblivio is very good, but i already saw it.

Desperada was loving excellent. Desperada had an excellent design and a threatening power. Adrien's months of time fuckery was dope.

Chris Master - This is insanely fun. I legit bought in that it was Santa. Hah the fight in the ice rink. "Only goes to show what a good Hawkmoth I've been this year uwu"
I wasn't feeling this season, but since Weredad, there's been a bunch of bangers

Startrain - Chloe's outfit kicks rear end. Akuma on a train is a fun. OKAY THEY'RE IN loving SPACE. Oh, hey, Max ge-YOOOOOOOOO!!! HE'S SO loving COOL!!

the multimouse episode was pretty cool

Feast. :stare:

Gamer 2.0 was okay

Stormy Weather 2 has good ideas, Chloe's frustration leading to regression is fine, and the escalation for Stormy is cool. But it's nigh incomprehensible. If you didn't watch the whole show, you can easily lose the thread of what's flashback and what's not. And while typing that I got super confused by Adrien remembering the letter. Yeah, no, in the grand context of the season and in proper place it's bad, you guys seeing it near the start of the season probably makes it insulting.

Akari Gozen - Marinette you absolute bitch. Okay, she learned that Kagami is just trying to be friends and oh poo poo, she saw the horrible messages Marinette was doing. Kinda glad Kagami thought the rampant lies were nice, but jeesh. Good villain design, a centaur EVA unit is dope. Finding Fu's odd jobs with the miraculous sounds super fun.

Timetagger - really fun.

Party Crasher - Yoooo his mom was into the Village People. Wow, Marinette, this is going so hard for no reason. Yo loving nice beats! AND THEY BEAT HAWKMOTH NI-oh and they killed Adrien's mom. All the guys partying while Gabriel is stuck on an elevator while his wife is extra dying is dope.

Puppeteer 2 - Poor Manon, but deffo not the worst these folks have been this season. Holy poo poo Marinette just sniffed Adrien. Holy poo poo Marinette.

Chat Blanc - :popeye:
so that's another time-clone of Marinette who was killed

Felix - Gabriel: HOW DARE YOU SHIP US
So Felix is an rear end in a top hat.. just because?

Ladybug - Yeah, that's a fair payoff for the Lila thing. Hawkmoth Rojo time.

Marinette breaking down because she's so tired after a year is pretty strong. I think I just wish there had been one more episode about Chloe legit trying and being let down.

Overall it's a good season. A ton of good episodes, and Lila and Chloe getting season-ong arcs with payoff was pretty good. I think Marinette wronged her enough to warrant Chloe's heel turn, but I do wish one more episode had happened, like Chloe trying to stop an Akuma without her powers and getting reprimanded by Ladybug for doing something so dangerous. I really hope that Chloe working directly with Hawkmoth, and Lila still being in the picture leads to Marinette dropping the role of causing the Akumas during bread-and-butter episodes, that part was weak for this season.

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Mar 25, 2020

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I rewatched 'Frozer' on Netflix, and my opinion of it has gone up a lot since the first viewing. Probably because it was a lovely Youtube rip in multiple parts with a watermark covering the screen and the audio dropping out in the final scene where Marinette talks to Adrien at the car.

Knowing how things turn out by the end of season 3 makes the relationship stuff here more interesting, because while Marinette isn't misinterpreting Kagami's intentions re: Adrien, she's completely misjudging her, as she finds out in 'Ikari Gozen'. Which is the big difference between Marinette and Chloe - they're both capable of being selfish and manipulative to get what they want, but only Marinette is caring and self-reflective enough to realise when she's screwed up and hurt someone by doing so. Chloe isn't there yet, and despite baby steps in episodes like 'Zombiezou', might never be. (Somewhere in locked-down Paris, Thomas Astruc cackles with glee.)

Random thought on 'Ikari Gozen': holy poo poo, if that game were played in real life, the TV station would be open to so many lawsuits. "Hey kids, go alone to meet a random stranger somewhere in Paris!"

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Season 4 has been delayed to 2021, quelle surprise. However, according to Keith Silverstein (Hawk Moth, and a bunch of characters in Skyrim who sound exactly like Gabriel) we're getting the long-thought-vapourware New York special this year. (No word on whether it's still a backdoor pilot for Ghost Squad and the fairy series.) The Shanghai special is also coming, as both eps now have official promo art. I'd put them up, but I'm on my phone.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

So as the new Guardian, is it even remotely an issue if she knows who Cat Noir is? It's her job now, isn't it?

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

It should be an issue since the former guardian knew everyone's identity except Hawkmoth's, I think. The further complication is that they are classmates and she has feelings for him.

*patiently waiting for the special episodes to hit Netflix US*

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

I feel like it would be a good bit of character growth for Marinette to have to put her feelings aside to protect everyone, but then we'd miss out on the terribly awkward hijinks.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I finally got around to watching season 2. My god it's like someone, whether Astruc or the English localization team (mostly the former but probably both), stopped talking down to the audience, supposing that audience is supposed to be 10-12 years old and not six.

It's nice to see them have fun with the concept with ideas like "what if nobody's unhappy" instead of just doing the same routine over and over with another second-stringer. On top of that, the Ladybug costume actually looks as good as I've seen in very high res publicity/concept photos and not just like a bright shiny lump of plastic like it did before. And when they do night shots, Hawk Moth's butterflies usually do their nocturnal thing of flying around before the window opens. And seeing the occasional extra bonus hero is neat even if they haven't gotten to the point where they're going to do the Afterschool Hall of Justice thing quite yet.

There's still animation errors all over the goddamn place (I just found a point in a closeup shot where Adrien's gums and teeth begin to protrude through his jawline like a bad video game cutscene) but honestly I was really giving up hope that this show was ever going to advance past that Roadrunner premise of just being the same thing over and over, even if they understandably do keep regularly adding second-stringers just to keep having more monsters. Instead in this season they're moving to that Pokemon Anime routine of doing the same thing over and over with vague feelings of progress, which beats the previous standard.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Jul 9, 2020

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

The New York Special IS REAL. AND COMING OUT THIS FRIDAY. :stare:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K41a_JkCM1U

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Oh God drat it, how are they not hyping this up for months? Oh yeah, just drop it there, Friday, sure...

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

PowerBeard posted:

Oh God drat it, how are they not hyping this up for months? Oh yeah, just drop it there, Friday, sure...

Ahh, the Nintendo Direct model.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

I lucked into finding out about this purely by chance when my kid was watching some movie on DisneyXD and a commercial popped up for it yesterday. Its scheduled on the DVR.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Everything I hear about this show second hand makes it sound like it's succeeded in spite of itself. Animation errors constantly, weird release schedules, Astruc getting into twitter fights and dropping fake spoilers to piss people off, etc.

I'm guessing the power of merch and SEO rankings for fan creations are more then enough to keep this show running until they end it.

Oh, and I guess Astruc wrote an entire episode about how no one appreciates him? I think it's supposed to be comedic but given his public persona it reads more like his genuine frustration.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I think it's more that small children do not care about Twitter fights, and Jeremy Zag had a bunch of other superhero concepts lined up in case this one failed.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

MorningMoon posted:

The New York Special IS REAL. AND COMING OUT THIS FRIDAY. :stare:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K41a_JkCM1U

I really hope there's some sly comment about how Ladybug is so similar to that other New York superhero.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Some Numbers posted:

I really hope there's some sly comment about how Ladybug is so similar to that other New York superhero.
As a regular reader of the Newspaper Spider-Man thread in BSS, I find it endlessly amusing that 14-year-old, stalker-crushin', easily-flustered dork Marinette Dupain-Cheng is still smarter and more perceptive than full-grown adult Peter Parker.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Clips for the movie are already appearing online, so be careful. I'm keeping my head down and will hopefully get to catch it later.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Decided to peek into spoilers and I see a video called miraculous new york special all space transformation scenes lmao this thing will rock. But I'm trying to find out how long it is, I'm super ready for it to just be a 22 minute special, 44 if we're super lucky

Kobanya
Aug 6, 2013
It pretty much ran for the entire hour with no commercials and was super excellent. It might have just been my TV, but there was some audio balance (or mixing?) issues where one instrumental was like, really quiet for some reason, but otherwise, the bg music was really good.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Missed it because I had to go out but is marionettes va different?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

TV Zombie posted:

Missed it because I had to go out but is marionettes va different?

The sound mixing on the episode was all sorts of wrong. The only different VA, I believe, is Nino's.