Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

J-Spot posted:

- Ice Flower and other power ups in general
- Ability to queue up your own stages or bookmarked/downloaded stages in online multiplayer co-op mode
- Blue Yoshi
- Ability to reupload levels without losing stars and comments
- Pokey (come on Nintendo how can we have desert stages without Pokey?)

If Red Yoshi is in there I can almost guarantee Blue and Yellow Yoshi are too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Sam Faust posted:

It might be a sound effect attached to the car.

That would explain the weird visual effect, but I didn't hear anything but a car starting up.

DapperDuck posted:

That's probably the subspace for the SMB3 desert theme. It was the color scheme for the pyramid level in SMB3.

The colors are a match. I'm not sure exactly how that would work but it seems likely.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
They did say they have not shown everything.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Have we seen any of the SMB3 World 7 style ! blocks that go the direction you’re facing or up with a jump? Looking at the snake block and such it looks like those are all predetermined trajectory

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Now that they’ve established “extra themes” that don’t have parity with the original 4, it feels like SMB2 is a given.

I could also see them doing a completely original theme. Didn’t they say that was planned for Mario Maker 1 at some point in interviews?

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
Err'body all excited for the new stuff but I just want a single quality of life improvement above everything else:

Let me choose to make restarting after death extremely fast, even instant, like Super Meat Boy.

Waiting to respawn so I can see the death animation and hear the ditty for literally the hundredth time on a hard level was a drag in the original.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

Err'body all excited for the new stuff but I just want a single quality of life improvement above everything else:

Let me choose to make restarting after death extremely fast, even instant, like Super Meat Boy.

Waiting to respawn so I can see the death animation and hear the ditty for literally the hundredth time on a hard level was a drag in the original.

Agree but still keep that occasional weirdly long sound effect of Mario walking at the bottom of a pit since it was hilarious.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

https://twitter.com/mariobrothblog/status/1128833184332963842?s=21
NSMBU Angry Sun is horrifying.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that they updated the SMM2 website today. e: It's basically all with content from the direct, but tell me if you spot something new.

MonsterEnvy posted:

They did say they have not shown everything.

I'm sure there will be a new surprise or two during the tournament on June 8th.

DalaranJ fucked around with this message at 06:30 on May 16, 2019

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

DalaranJ posted:

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that they updated the SMM2 website today. e: It's basically all with content from the direct, but tell me if you spot something new.

I'm sure there will be a new surprise or two during the tournament on June 8th.

They are going to announce power glove support. It's so bad!

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I prepurchased it and Mario Maker 2 is occupying 2.8 GB on my Switch right now. So uh, has anybody in the past tried spoofing whatever servers it's checking (for other preloaded games), and did they get in some kind of Nintendo-trouble for it?

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Argue posted:

Okay so what's on everyone's wishlist now that they've covered so many of the things people wanted:

- Maps and secret exits

I feel like that's something that would have gotten mentioned by now if it was in, but I hope I'm wrong because that's my most wanted feature. If it isn't in at launch hopefully they're working on it as part of an update.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Argue posted:

I prepurchased it and Mario Maker 2 is occupying 2.8 GB on my Switch right now. So uh, has anybody in the past tried spoofing whatever servers it's checking (for other preloaded games), and did they get in some kind of Nintendo-trouble for it?

If I remember right it's not just a server ping but involves an encrypted key so you're pretty much not getting in.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
I can't wait.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Argue posted:

Unless they are idiots, it will be encrypted and they will send out the key on June 28.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The Japanese website has a reason for the inexplicable Super Famicom logo pop-up: There's an option to make the car blare out SNES Mario Kart music!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usIDjqpHfSU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I can't wait for this game. I loved the original so much that I heavily considered going to SMU's Guildhall program instead of law school. They even would accept Mario Maker levels as part of your application.

Shocked it doesn't have local multiplayer but I'm assuming GOTY is either going to be this or Cyberpunk 2077. (and I have no faith Cyberpunk is getting released this year.) I might even plug in my Wii U so I can copy my best levels from Mario Maker 1.

Something I found helpful for making levels in the last game was to play some of my favorite Mario levels and count the amount of enemies on the map. This helps put things in perspective and led to me making less levels that were overpacked with enemies. I'm going to attempt to make a bunch of easier levels that feel like they are from the first half of SMB3. I wonder if they will let you use Yoshi in the pre-SMW tilesets.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 14:17 on May 16, 2019

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Super Mario University?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

did they confirm if you can make your own sound effects again in this one? Need to make DMX Goomba again

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Video from the Japanese site:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LwrhmWLbX4

You need to freeze frame but around the 4 second mark we have confirmation that the Mega Mushroom in the power up wheel for SMB1 and the mystery mushroom is not present. The lack of costumes is a bummer but I'm actually more upset that we're losing a way to give Mario some health without changing his hitbox. I had a couple levels in the old game that relied on that.

It's almost impossible to freeze frame on but right between the 10th an 11th second you can see confirmation on how the new colored pipes work. As we saw in the original direct enemies launch out of the pipes at varying speeds based on the color. I hope that also speeds up piranha plants as I remember the timing on those being kind of awkward in the first game.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Every theme in every style is getting a night mode right? I can wait to see how the 3D stuff looks.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
*extremely Gamexplain voice* There seem to be two biomes seen but not pointed out in the trailer. The one with the big blue tank at around 0:47 appears to be its own biome; it doesn't look like the default Mario 3 grass biome and doesn't seem to fit desert or forest. Then there's several Super Mario 3D World clips that appear to take place in some kind of toybox-like biome.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I just watched yesterday's video.

All I wanted for a sequel to the best game on the WiiU was slopes and the angry sun. It turns out Nintendo have given us 100x that!

Good lord! I think my favourite Mario game is about to get usurped! :D

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

At 6:38 in the Direct, a construction toad says "See, this is why I'm a cat person".
Theory: Peach's castle is missing because Undodog undid the castle's construction.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

DrManiac posted:

Every theme in every style is getting a night mode right? I can wait to see how the 3D stuff looks.

Argue posted:

Then there's several Super Mario 3D World clips that appear to take place in some kind of toybox-like biome.

Considering swapping your style to 3D World deletes whatever level you have active, I'm going to assume it doesn't necessarily adhere to the same rules wrt night time levels or level themes, which is probably a good thing going forward as it means whatever dlc mario styles come out won't necessarily be bound to playing the same which clears the path for Mario 2/Yoshi's Island maybe stuff.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

If there is DLC for Mario Maker, I hope we get SNES Mario Kart levels.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Argue posted:

*extremely Gamexplain voice* There seem to be two biomes seen but not pointed out in the trailer. The one with the big blue tank at around 0:47 appears to be its own biome; it doesn't look like the default Mario 3 grass biome and doesn't seem to fit desert or forest.
It is the forest but they seem to take a lot of inspiration from SMB3's pipe land for that style. SMW's desert theme also takes some liberties by being more of the mountain theme from that game.

DrManiac posted:

That's a good question. I'm not sure if we saw any night mode footage for 3D World. It's possible it won't exist there since 3D World is a separate thing.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

I said come in! posted:

If there is DLC for Mario Maker, I hope we get SNES Mario Kart levels.

Like make your own kart track? I'm not sure how much fun there would be in that.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

Like make your own kart track? I'm not sure how much fun there would be in that.

With the online features it should be pretty cool! There is a big Mario Kart level design community as well, so lots of people would be into this.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

People made it fun already just by making Mario wear a Mario Kart costume in the first game and then putting blocks at the top of the level that make it play Mario Kart music.

Also that level from 3D World.

I think it'd be aces myself.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Mario Kart maker would probably be it's own separate title. I made several tracks in Modnation Racers for PS3 and had a lot of fun with it, but making a good kart track is much more complex than a Mario level.

If we get another style it's still going to be a 2D Platformer that uses the same basic level designer. SMB2 seems the most likely. SML2 might be doable but do we really want a bunch of black and white stages mixed in? A 2D Galaxy/Odyssey style could also be a possibility.

J-Spot fucked around with this message at 15:55 on May 16, 2019

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

J-Spot posted:

Video from the Japanese site:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LwrhmWLbX4

You need to freeze frame but around the 4 second mark we have confirmation that the Mega Mushroom in the power up wheel for SMB1 and the mystery mushroom is not present. The lack of costumes is a bummer but I'm actually more upset that we're losing a way to give Mario some health without changing his hitbox. I had a couple levels in the old game that relied on that.

It's almost impossible to freeze frame on but right between the 10th an 11th second you can see confirmation on how the new colored pipes work. As we saw in the original direct enemies launch out of the pipes at varying speeds based on the color. I hope that also speeds up piranha plants as I remember the timing on those being kind of awkward in the first game.

That’s what I suspected about the costume mushroom, but maybe the mega mushroom will have multiple modes? The loss of the small Mario extra hit would be upsetting.

As for piranha plants, that was a problem with the spawn timing, I think it could have been solved with the piranha plant starting it’s cycle out of the pipe. But it would be nice to get varying speeds.

Argue posted:

Then there's several Super Mario 3D World clips that appear to take place in some kind of toybox-like biome.

We were discussing the possibility of the sub zones carrying on the theme of the main zone, but it’s also possible that 3D World has a different set of themes.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Check this out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ct1GwHvNKME&t=544s
At 9:04 on the Japanese direct video they show a slightly different 3D World power up wheel to what was in the western direct. There's some sort of hammer power up we haven't seen yet.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
If we can have night themes without the night effects then that would be cool.

Still kinda want All-Stars.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Szmitten posted:

Still kinda want All-Stars.

Here's hoping that whenever SNES games hit Switch Online, this is one of their launch titles.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

J-Spot posted:

Check this out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ct1GwHvNKME&t=544s
At 9:04 on the Japanese direct video they show a slightly different 3D World power up wheel to what was in the western direct. There's some sort of hammer power up we haven't seen yet.

Maybe Hammer Bros. Suit from SMB3 which would be rad

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Maybe Hammer Bros. Suit from SMB3 which would be rad

There are hammer suits in 3D world, too.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

They acknowledged that Mario 1 stages would be boring as all hell when compared to the others and that's why they included the ? Mushrooms, so taking them out seems really stupid and is actually a bit upsetting :( . I liked making themed levels.

I know the reason is because of online play but still.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Random Stranger posted:

There are hammer suits in 3D world, too.

No, there wasn’t. They were boomerang suits instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

The hammer could also be a Donkey Kong hammer potentially.