Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

ESA Winter 2019 is over! A big thank you to everyone who participated in raising over 30,000 dollars for Save the Children!

You thought you'd have to wait until SGDQ for more speedrunning marathon goodness? Surprise, motherfucker.

But this one's happening way over in Europe - Sweden, to be specific. European Speedrunner Assembly Winter 2019 is running from February 18th to 23rd, a full week of runs and cozyness (those dates in the logo up there are the days things go on at the venue, the streams runs between the dates I mentioned)! All for charity, of course - money is being raised for Save the Children.

Since ESA has always been a smaller marathon with less thread activity, and ESA Winter is even smaller than ESA Summer, and because of other reasons, we're just going with a single thread for this marathon. So, no chat thread this time around. Don't let that prevent you from posting, but I'll go ahead and say it right away: Absolutely no questionable fanart in this thread. None. Good? Good.

~~~~~~~~~~

If you've seen a speedrun marathon before, you should know what to expect. A full week of speedruns and some other nifty stuff. So let's get right onto the important information, like the schedule. Or, slightly more accurately, schedules. There is a secondary stream for ESA Winter like there was for Summer, however, this time around it's running less of the time, and concentrates on a small number of longer games. So if you're interested in that, then, go right ahead and fire up two stream windows, when such is available! The schedule will adjust to your local time zone.

The ESA main site is the place to go for everything else, and is where you can watch in your browser once the marathon gets going. Otherwise, there's Twitch streams for you: Stream one and Stream two. But, even better is of course to watch through whatever media player you want, which you do with Streamlink and Streamlink Twitch GUI.

Recordings of all runs will go up eventually on the ESA Youtube channel, so you can catch up on things you missed.

And of course, you'll want to chat with friendly peeps while watching too. And you don't want to do that in Twitch chat. So just use the tried and true IRC, or that Discord thing.

ESA IRC: #esamarathon at irc.quakenet.org
Direct link | Quakenet Webchat
ESA Discord

Goon IRC: #speedruns at irc.synirc.net
Direct link | synirc Webchat
Goon speedrunning Discord

The goon speedfriend Discord also exists - but the invite for that is not static, so you'll have to ask someone for an invite. Probably in the above linked Goon speedrunning Discord.

~~~~~~~~~~

A short history of the European Speedrunner Assembly:

Started as European Speedster Assembly in 2012 and hosted its first marathon in Skövde, Sweden. Since then, one big marathon has been organized every summer in Sweden, plus some side events, like appearing at Sweden's biggest LAN party, Dreamhack. In 2016 it moved from Skövde to Växjö, in 2018 the first ESA Winter happened in Växjö, while the summer event moved to Malmö the same year. Previously ESA has raised money for Charity:Water and Doctors Without Borders, and is currently for for the benefit of Save the Children.

Of course - all the money raised during ESA Winter 2019 goes directly to Save the Children. No cut is taken by the organizers, volunteers or runners.

~~~~~~~~~~

To donate, you go to the donation page. You put in your donation amount, and what incentive you want your donation to go towards. There's a bunch of 'em, as usual - character names, bonus bosses, you know the drill. All of it can be found on the ESA donation tracker.

Prizes aren't quite a thing at ESA as it is for GDQ, so... you'll just have to donate anyway. Find some incentive you like. Go for it.

~~~~~~~~~~

And that's honestly about all I have to say about it. The only goon that I'm aware of who's running anything this event is myself - in UTC+2, my two runs happen at the following times, both on stream one:

Ninja Smasher! at 09:00 on Tuesday 2019-02-12
Super Amazing Wagon Adventure at 01:38 on Wednesday 2019-02-20

Okay, I absolutely do not want to call the latter of those two a speedrun, but... yeah. You'll see. It's got name incentives. Donate for it.

~~~~~~~~~~

And that's that! Let us all have a good marathon together. Let's avoid the drama, let's especially not dredge up what happened about a month ago. Be respectful towards everyone involved, be it runners, volunteers, viewers, posters!

And of you have any questions, just go ahead and ask. Personally I won't be super active in the thread 'cause I'll be on site, but anyway. Don't forget to tune in to the regular speedrunning thread, too!

Past marathon threads
AGDQ 2012 | AGDQ 2013 | SGDQ 2013 | AGDQ 2014 | SGDQ 2014 | ESA 2014 | AGDQ 2015 | ESA 2015 | SGDQ 2015 | AGDQ 2016 | SGDQ 2016 | ESA 2016 | AGDQ 2017 (Chat) | SGDQ 2017 (Chat) | ESA 2017 | HRDQ | AGDQ 2018 (Chat) | SGDQ 2018 (Chat) | ESA 2018 (Chat) | GDQx 2018 (Chat) | AGDQ 2019

KennyMan666 fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Feb 24, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Reserved post.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The XCOM 2 run sounds really interesting.

French Accent
Feb 3, 2012

Very strong day 1, and I have the day off as well. Gonna be a cozy day tomorrow.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

We're live, woop!

RoboJoe
Dec 30, 2006

We cleanse.
You are the filth.

Hi speedfriends, I'm super excited to share watching fantastic speedruns with you all again :3:

Once again I will be inspired to actually :gitgud: (basically appear like I know what I'm doing) at the game I speedrun and apply to go to an event, likely ESA Summer, but then chicken out because the pressure would kill me if my run was accepted.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

:comfyoot:
I'm sad that I'd completely forgotten about this, but that just means it's a very pleasent surprise!
I see that Super Amazing Wagon Adventure is on the schedule, but it's at an awful time for me, so I have to catch the VOD.

Also, there's a lot of GTA at this ESA, for some reason. Not that I mind, they're fun games to see speedrun and Vice City and Vice City Stories have great music (though I dunno if we'll actually hear it).

EDIT: Also, I'm a super big fan of how ESA is handling information on upcoming games.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Feb 18, 2019

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Oh right, this is happening! I'll be sure to keep an eye on this throughout the week!

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

Just peeking to say that even though I went be able to watch the Marathon, I hope you all have fun in the thread. :comfyoot:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I forgot about this! looking forward to it

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

a speedrun marathon chat thread? I know exactly what to do.

here's all the hentai i've collected since the end of agdq, some of it is related to the current video game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
nice to watch a speedrun

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You're an asshole, Mr. Grinch
You really are a cunt
You're as cuddly as a cockring
and charming being a shitheel

FUCK YOURFRIEND!
I like ESA because sometimes they runners get to say 'gently caress' and at like 3am they'll be like 'ok if you have any donations now's the time to read them' and they other guy will go '...nope. dont have any donations' and I will throw them twenty bux

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

@OP you got a borked URL tag in the first post.

RoboJoe
Dec 30, 2006

We cleanse.
You are the filth.

I didn't think I'd like a Call of Duty run as much as this but the runner is super knowlegdable at explaining things and good!

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Hello, have fun watching speedruns. Keep this thread safe for work and positive. Have in mind that because of what happened to the other chat thread during AGDQ there will be swift punishments given for posting any questionable/skirting on NWS images as well as quoting those. Just report such instances. Thanks.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Carbon dioxide posted:

@OP you got a borked URL tag in the first post.
So I did. Fixed now. Also thanks to Palpek for the sticky!

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Studio posted:

a speedrun marathon chat thread? I know exactly what to do.

here's all the hentai i've collected since the end of agdq, some of it is related to the current video game:
:chast2b:
:jail:

EDIT: Edited out your filth, so I don't get banned.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

My parents didn't let me play Grand Theft Auto when I was a kid, and looking at this speedrun, they were right to do so. Instead I got more wholesome, and better playing crime simulators like Counter-Strike.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Love a glitch showcase explained by a guy I can barely understand.

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

Resident Evil 2 (2019) was a good run.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

Wrex Ruckus posted:

Resident Evil 2 (2019) was a good run.

I've had the marathon off and on all day, and so far every run I've caught some of has been pretty good. The current run is a hilarious glitchfest, for example!

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

ESA Winter 2019: TURN NOTIFS OFF IDIOT has added you to their Friends List

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
They need to place a stickynote on the monitor that just says SIGN OUT OF FRIENDS

French Accent
Feb 3, 2012

They've been looking at the wrong settings window for 5 minutes. Yes, there's more than one settings menu on steam.

Quite frankly, I'm surprised there's not a lot of people there who know how to turn off notifications. That's the first thing I do on a fresh computer install.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

YOURFRIEND posted:

I like ESA because sometimes they runners get to say 'gently caress' and at like 3am they'll be like 'ok if you have any donations now's the time to read them' and they other guy will go '...nope. dont have any donations' and I will throw them twenty bux

I used to like it years when Flicky was there running stuff since it was easy to get him worked up by sending in a donation and slamming on his podcast at the time, The Sunday Sequence Break.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Hype and excite for spedrun

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

I know that it's very very early right now, but things are maybe a bit too chill, as we watch orcs sack various names of places I vaguely remember. We gotta keep the fire going so I can watch Kenny Smash some Ninjas! (In a couple hours)

e: If anyone wanted to know what the castle crashers run was like, it sounded like this

Octatonic fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Feb 19, 2019

French Accent
Feb 3, 2012

Kenny's coming up right about now. Excited to see what's in store for this run.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Ninja Smasher's got some pretty cool movement to it. I am such a huge sucker for dive kicks. Thanks for the run, Kenny!

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

That was much cleaner than any of my practice runs yesterday and sure enough, it was a PB and WR for the category (I'm the only one with a time for it on the leaderboard, but anyway). My previous time was a 31:24.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

KennyMan666 posted:

That was much cleaner than any of my practice runs yesterday and sure enough, it was a PB and WR for the category (I'm the only one with a time for it on the leaderboard, but anyway). My previous time was a 31:24.
:comfyoot:

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Also none of you people donating during Ninja Smasher! put it towards Super Amazing Wagon Adventure names, I am disappoint :V

Edit: Also, choice of tie for SAWA is still undecided. Options are: Boba Fett, South Park, blue with gold-ish Chinese scribbles, and plain black.

KennyMan666 fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Feb 19, 2019

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Let's go XCOM2

Breaking the game in the first mission, great

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
It really rules that defrag-likes are any indie genre at all (well, this is the only one I've seen but hopefully there's more) I gotta buy this

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Time to throw this in the corner of my extra work monitor and get comfy! :comfyoot:

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I always love the super-chill music between runs at ESA events.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
The Jade Empire "run" on stream 2 is starting out hilarious.

I also noticed that noobest will run Dark Souls tomorrow. His ESA run a few years ago was one of the funniest fails in speedrunning ever.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I haven't had much time to watch today, but I'm gonna watch Streets of Rage at least before heading to bed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Kennyman on stream RIGHT NOW GET TO WATCHING.

EDIT: AND GETS OWNED BY THE RIVERBOAT, ROUND 2 STARTING NOW!

EDIT REDUX: ROUND 2 WENT SWIMMINGLY, KENNY OUT

Sage Grimm fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Feb 20, 2019