Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
:siren: Discord/Mumble info because people can't find it or whatever: :siren:

Discord
https://discord.gg/g4PDRhM

Thread crew hangs out here pretty much exclusively, the old IRC channel is dead. Jump in to ask stupid questions. There are also usually people there willing to spot or jump into a practice.

Mumble
mumble.bearpope.racing:64738
pw: butts

========

Welcome to the SA iRacing thread! Where all your dreams of listening to an angry dude from Indiana can come true! :siren: 2019 Edition! :siren:

So the rest of this post is an amalgamation of the last bunch of iRacing threads (shout out to ManicJason for writing a bunch of it back in the day) and while I've meticulouslyhaphazardly gone back and updated the bits about the discount codes, what wheel to buy, recommended specs etc I got bored so a lot of the stuff about rookie series is out of date in terms of tracks, but never fear! I'll cover that in this first section which I'm calling:

What's new in 2019?

If you don't know what iRacing is, see below. If you already kind of have an idea, well here's the new poo poo that will hopefully get you to come fuckin race with us.

• Day/night cycle + dynamic sky - this came out at the end of last year and is GOOD AS HECK. Finally we can run endurance races in something other than eternal daylight, plus there is a time acceleration option if you want to just run a 30 minute race at the Nordschleife and gently caress everyone up when it goes dark after 10 minutes.
  • Free content is building up - there are enough free road tracks to not get bored of the same old 3 track rotation, including the new Charlotte Roval which is, my god... actually good. There are also more than a dozen free cars available across the disciplines, with the classic MX-5 (extremely good and cool) being joined recently by the Radical SR8 and Dallara Indycar DW12.
  • Dirt racing - yes, actual dirt track racing. I'm told it's good and it was fun while I dicked around with it for a couple of days when it came out, but it's not my thing. If it is your thing: it's the best implementation of the sport in simracing, so go nuts.
  • You can race Porsches against Ferraris I guess? - I'm p sure this used to be a thing that never happened in simracing because of evil licensing issues. You can do it now. Come race GTEs with goons, we have teams and everything.
  • F1 drivers seem to want to race pretend internet cars here now - Yes, Max and Lando are leading the way this winter and appear to be Taking It Seriously to an extent. That means 10% of the 2019 F1 grid officially races against us! Is this a positive or a negative?

So what's this "Gooncar" thing people keep talking about?

:siren: CLICK HERE to join the incredibly cool and good league :siren:

Welcome to the most fun part of iRacing. On Sundays at around 4:30pm ET is where you'll find a band of merry idiots all racing together in what might charitably be called a "reasonably well-run and competent league of racers", which you can apply to join on the iRacing site here. We mostly race the Skip Barber, but right now we're messing around with pickup races using free/popular content so now is a good time to get started racing with goons without having to buy a bunch of shitfucker tracks you'll never use again anyway.

Again the participation requirements amount to 'can get into the server and onto the track, consciously or otherwise', but regular 'don't be a dick' rules apply. It also helps if you can run laps without wrecking on every corner, particularly on ovals as we run with cautions on and lots of caution laps and no racing makes OhsH flat out murder a guy. Don't be that guy. On road courses you can pretty much get away with diving off onto the green bits as much as you like without really impacting other people so go ahead and suck out loud, it's fine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AN5ubelct_o

Team Racing

For our sins, we race GTEs and GT3s in the premiere goon simracing team, Team Bearpope. The team events in iRacing run between 3 and 24 hours with between 2 and usually 8 max drivers per team. Results vary between actually winning holy poo poo! And getting fired into space on lap 1. It's chill, it's fine. Hashtag iracing.

Notable Streamers

Sometimes you've got to just say gently caress Racing and watch someone else win/gently caress up instead. Here are some of the best/most entertaining/least likely to make you want to claw your eyes out while watching:

Jimmy Broadbent - Closest thing to a TV personality in simracing. Will he win or will he rage? Definitely faster than forums user OhsH.
Lando Norris - It's Nando Lorris!
Matt Malone - More variety of races than JB, and more broadcasts in general.
Team Bearpope - Who the gently caress are these assholes?

=============================

What is iRacing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKO5_hDc5JQ

iRacing is that game you heard about that costs a loving bomb with as much DLC as Train Simulator but with added rednecks running trucks with Trump stickers all over them who will absolutely blame you at the drop of a hat when they murder themselves into an insanely detailed laser-scanned wall at 200mph. The good news is their whining is impotent and you don't really need to race with them anyway.

Hyperbole aside, iRacing is hands-down the best place to race against actual humans online. At any given time of day you can most likely hop onto the website and fire up a race with at least a dozen other assholes to compete against, and on a good day you can even triple that number. If you're sure, that is.

There are a whole bunch of SA goons kicking around in the various official series, and just a few weeks of not being aggressively terrible will get you a slot in one of our teams for the 12 and 24 hour endurance events that run roughly every two months, where being a meatsack who can be awake at 5am Eastern without crashing is the minimum ability requirement.

:siren:Discord:siren:
https://discord.gg/g4PDRhM

Thread crew hangs out here pretty much exclusively, the old IRC channel is dead. Jump in to ask stupid questions. There are also usually people there willing to spot or jump into a practice.

Mumble
We've been using the Goonrathi Mumble while racing. There's a channel buried in there somewhere that has to do with turning left or Tony Stewart killing people or something. If you get lost, go to Discord.
mumble.goonrathi.com
mumble.bearpope.racing
pw: butts

Cost
The truth is that this is a subscription-based game with loads of DLC. The good news is that you can get started for $6 for a month or $15 for three months, and all of the rookie series run free cars and tracks. Extra tracks are usually $15 and cars $12 (with a couple of exceptions like the Nordschleife). Once you get out of rookies, you'll probably want to spend $12 on a car and $30 or $40 on tracks to run most of a full 12 week season. There are bulk purchase deals and occasional game credit deals to save 10-50%.

:siren: CURRENT OFFER CODES :siren:

3 month membership for $10: PR-GRIPTV19

Controls
You'll also need a steering wheel. No, it's not going to be cheap. Yes, this is a dumb expensive hobby for nerds. Best options in terms of bang-for-buck right now are probably the Logitech G920 or Thrustmaster T300RS for around $250 and $300 respectively. Alternatively you may be able to pick up an older Logitech G27 or similar used if you're looking for a bargain.

PC specs required
Any machine with 4+ gigs of RAM that can run a four year old game. There are lots of settings to make things as pretty as the above videos, but this game has been around for ten years and even with recent graphical improvements can be run on almost anything.

Rookie series
The basic rookie cars are the Mazda MX-5 on the road side and the Street Stock on ovals.

The MX-5 cycles through Lime Rock, Summit Point, Okayama, Laguna Seca, and occasionally Charlotte's road course each week. Street Stock bounces between USA International and Charlotte.

FAQ
What the hell is this Safety Rating poo poo anyway?
The license system and safety rating are what make iRacing work. Every time you are involved in an incident, you get incident points. One point for going off track, two points for spinning by yourself, and four points for crashing into another car. It is a no fault system. This means that, if you you get rear ended by someone whose cat pissed on his brake pedal, you get the same 4x that you'd get for wrecking the entire field on a race start. The system works well for a few reasons.
  • You have to drive clean to compete in higher-tier series
  • Good drivers will avoid more of the other-guy's-fault accidents than bad drivers.
  • Everyone has to deal with the same idiots at the lower levels. In fact, you'll be one of those idiots a few times. Thousands of people have gotten up to A license. It's frustrating when you have that one not-at-fault accident that kills your safety rating and ends your race on lap one, but I promise that every driver in A class has had a dozen of those moments, likely many more.
As you gain safety rating, you'll progress through the licenses from rookie, D, C, B, and A separately in oval and road racing. It's true that the most difficult cars are A class (F1 and NASCAR Sprint Cup cars,) but aiming to fly up through the licenses for the sake of progressing is a mistake. Most goons took their time progressing and settled in to one or several series along the way to A class in both road and oval. The most common series for thread posters are the Skip Barber D class road series and one of the two C class oval series (IndyCar and NASCAR trucks.) There's no real 'grind' as safety rating rises as a natural part of doing clean races so if you're racing well and getting results, your SR will rise along the way.

There are hundreds or words written about exactly how safety rating works, but the gist is that your SR will be a number from 1.0 to 4.99 with a letter. It is calculated based on your incident points per corner. D 4.0 = C 3.0 = B 2.0. Getting to 3.0 makes you eligible to promote to the next level at season's end. 4.0 will promote you immediately. 2.0 at season's end will drop you down. 1.0 will drop you immediately.

What cars/tracks are there?
There are currently 40+ cars and 70+ tracks.

Is it worth trying iRacing without a wheel?
Trying? Sure. It's a lot more difficult, I'm not going to lie to you, but Bentai often runs with us in the Gooncar oval races using a pad and isn't aggressively terrible. I'd still strongly endorse a wheel as the #1 way to make your experience with the game more fun though.

How do you see other people's paint schemes?
Install Trading Paints and run it whenever you race. That's it. Yes, everyone uses this same third party tool. It's effectively an official part of the game at this point.

How do I get out of rookies?
Drive clean until your safety rating gets to 3.0. You will instantly un-rookie-ify.

What are the most popular series?
On the road side, pretty much anything with a GT3 car in it will get solid races at most times of the day. The Skip Barber series is also a perennial favourite. On the oval side of things, any of the fixed setup NASCAR series are well attended. Pretty much every available series will have at least one race with good attendance per week, info on this timeslot can be found in the relevant series forum.

Do I need to use the clutch for X car?
Unless it's the Spec Racer Ford, you probably don't need to clutch on upshifts. Downshifts depend. Here's a list of all transmission types in iRacing

Why does it take so long to get my fast repair in the pits?
By default, the game gives you new tires and fuel every pit stop, even if it's a pit stop that gave you a brand new car. Put the following into your app.ini to make iRacing default to no pit service. You'll have to manually select tires/fuel on the rare times you actually want them:
code:
[Pit Service]
autoResetPitBox=0
2017 iRacing Thread

Vando fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Apr 26, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diplomat
Dec 14, 2009

Vando posted:

code:
[Pit Service]
autoResetPitBox=0

You know I've been playing for years and never thought about this, I can't count the number of races where I've forgot to turn off tires and/or fuel (gt3 specifically).

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Instructional videos for GT3 racing...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6drOAvwl5E

...and iRacing's crash physics which are the best in all of sim racing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNqmvb7NEws

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Thread tag :discourse:

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
https://gfycat.com/selfishzealousbarasingha

About sums up my experience on Charlotte Roval.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUsZZ1uDaFE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6y_ehvUjI1c

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

CascadeBeta posted:

https://gfycat.com/selfishzealousbarasingha

About sums up my experience on Charlotte Roval.

Thats the old roval, the new one is good.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

SPACE HOMOS posted:

Thats the old roval, the new one is good.

Aha, I've only seen the old roval on the rookie road rotation so far.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
League racing! 2019 Winter Series, intro race tonight at Tsukuba then HOT LEAGUE ACTION for 6 weeks, all in MX5s at five free tracks and one Nordschleife wildcard. Extremely good time to pay for a 1 or 3 month sub :getin:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I really wanna race more with you goons but i'm gonna be busy wrenching my track car today :(

njsykora posted:

...and iRacing's crash physics which are the best in all of sim racing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNqmvb7NEws

How have I not seen this before :allears:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I guess I'll buy another month of iracing for the middle of that gooncar series.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Thank you for choosing the correct thread tag

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Did someone here actually beat Max Verstappen in a race sometime?

I beat Christiano Da Matta in a Ruf Cup race once :shobon:

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
We got further than him in the Bathurst 12hrs. Totally counts. Yes.

Also Gooncar is in 30 minutes, heads up etc.

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?
Not max, but I have had this happen:

Shared it and beat him.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Was this that truck race he did?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Some of the Sheep posted:

Not max, but I have had this happen:

Shared it and beat him.

Holy gently caress dude

I met some Formula 2 drivers IRL who said they play iracing, that's my biggest claim to fame lol.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

It's a neat byproduct. It's not like iRacing can advertise it or anything, but it is nice that you might find yourself in the same race as actual racing drivers and test yourself against them. It's really the closest any of us will get to comparing ourselves to how real drivers do it.

It's also pretty interesting that proper fast dudes like Lando Norris and Verstappen are also fast in sims (but not really surprising). I guess it helps feed into the fantasy of how the rest of us could be real racing drivers if we had the chance if you find yourself racing against those types of guys and doing well.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsj3vi5N3u8

The in-game "most exciting" focus actually covered most of the race pretty well.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Carth Dookie posted:

It's a neat byproduct. It's not like iRacing can advertise it or anything, but it is nice that you might find yourself in the same race as actual racing drivers and test yourself against them. It's really the closest any of us will get to comparing ourselves to how real drivers do it.

It's also pretty interesting that proper fast dudes like Lando Norris and Verstappen are also fast in sims (but not really surprising). I guess it helps feed into the fantasy of how the rest of us could be real racing drivers if we had the chance if you find yourself racing against those types of guys and doing well.

iRacing totally can and has advertised that stuff for years, they have not and will not ever shut up about the story with Dale Jr finding and hiring his spotter on iRacing. As for guys being fast in the game, look up the Indycar Winter Season thing they did a few years back, they ran that with the perk that every week they'd have a different driver from the real world series racing and every single week the real driver did something dumb as poo poo and wrecked a bunch of people within a few laps.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Carth Dookie posted:

I think they advertised that Scott Speed was playing when they launched rallycross, although he ended up getting suspended from iracing so that backfired

They just gotta throw them some advertising money to use their name

Pinny
Sep 8, 2006

SPACE HOMOS posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsj3vi5N3u8

The in-game "most exciting" focus actually covered most of the race pretty well.

I like how it starts focusing on some of Crappy and mines hot 2 wide action, then instantly switches ready to catch blk utterly destroying someone at the hairpin

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Dear iracing, pay me and you can use my name, I think you'll see my record of no wins and low irating speaks for itself

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer
If this Goon can sometimes manage to finish a race without crashing out, you too can realize your dream to be a "real racecar driver"!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The nice thing is I kinda suck in iracing, but when I go back to GT Sport, I'm an absolute monster until I rank up enough to be racing with the other absolute monsters.

iracing does make you a better racer in GT Sport

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Can someone post expected pace for rest of the races in GoonCar? I don't want to be a rolling chicane 10s of pace.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

KidDynamite posted:

Can someone post expected pace for rest of the races in GoonCar? I don't want to be a rolling chicane 10s of pace.

The expected pace is just drive car. Rolling chicanes are usually 80% of the field to the front few guys.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

KidDynamite posted:

Go and race with goons, no one expects you to set a world record

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

KidDynamite posted:

It won't matter because half of us are way slower than like 3 of us anyways

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Remember, the best time to learn the track and car is qualifying

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

Remember, the best time to learn the track and car is by quickly watching one lap of a youtube video while you grid up.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

Remember, the best time to learn the track and car is by just loving sending it.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

Remember, the best time to learn the track and car is qualifying

Wow look at this tryhard actually running in qualifying. Join the session literal seconds before the race starts and then ask "cool so what track is this?" while gridding for maximum goon points

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
"Hi guys, didn't practice, I'm just here for the SR"

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?

Vando posted:

Was this that truck race he did?

It was some random IMSA race in the 488 gt3. For a professional driver he's incredibly active on iRacing, 400 road races last year and already 50 this year.

As Carth Dookie said, it's a cool little thing coming across pros in the wild, and if you get wheel to wheel with them it's generally memorable one way or the other. I've been lucky enough to hunt down Rubens Barrichello in an LMP2 at Le Mans, go wheel to wheel with 2018 supercars champion Scott McLaughlin at Phillip Island, and get punted on about 20 occasions by 2016 supercars champion Shane Van Gisbergen.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I’d argue Lando is 50/50 pro racer/twitch streamer at this point

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
Pretty remarkable given he's now going to be racing at the pinnacle of international motorsport.

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer

KidDynamite posted:

Are you faster than this?

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

KidDynamite posted:

Don't worry, that's my job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Alright I requested to join the league and look forward to being slow.