Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Jay_Zombie posted:

I've never actually used CrewChief. I have it downloaded but never actually installed it.

I'm thinking more along the lines of apps like Asphalt Mechanic (Android only) and cheat sheets like this.

Also, here's an ok guide to help get your feet wet if you're looking into getting into open sets.
http://online.fliphtml5.com/rhhs/jyme/#p=1

Is this just for oval cars?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Anyone know the best way to not pay MSRP on a re-up is? I did a month initially but would rather not continue at that rate.

Also, Oulton is extremely fun and difficult to get right.

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!

Cojawfee posted:

Is this just for oval cars?

Yeah, that chart is oval only.
I'm sure there's one out there for road cars though.

Edit:
Gonna be honest, I haven't set up a "road car" since I raced go-karts back in the 90's but this looks like it will be useful for some basic fine tuning.

Jay_Zombie fucked around with this message at 22:27 on May 20, 2020

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

Dangerllama posted:

Anyone know the best way to not pay MSRP on a re-up is? I did a month initially but would rather not continue at that rate.

Also, Oulton is extremely fun and difficult to get right.

You get a bit of a price break if you buy 3 months, or a year or whatever, instead of going month to month, but they don't often have discounts for existing members for subscription fees.

You can earn participation credits though that you can put toward your subscription.
On your My Profile page on the website, scroll all the way down to see your participation credits. Basically if you participate in 8 out of 12 weeks of a season, in a series that's D or above, you can earn 4 bucks in credit up to a total of 10 per season. So basically you can earn like 40 bucks in credit a year just by racing.

Jay_Zombie fucked around with this message at 22:28 on May 20, 2020

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Dangerllama posted:

Get whatever is the longest deal that gets you to Black Friday, then get a 1 or 2 year extension with whatever discount it is this year (I think 15-20% usually?). Sometimes this might be a "get $100 of credits for $80" type deal, which you should also spend on a year+ sub for best value. There are no other discounts for existing members other than occasional "hey you've been inactive for months, maybe come back?" type things.

If you're new and haven't spent over $30 on content the best deal is to start over on a 3 month for $5 new members deal (you did do this first, right?)

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

No I stupidly said “this looks interesting but not sure if I’ll like it. Let’s do one month.”

There was no three months for $5 deal on their site that I saw.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home

Douchebag posted:

So this is where the Crew Chief app comes in handy I guess right? I was using it but I found the spotter to be much worse than the in game spotter and since I wasn’t running long enough races to make adjustments I stopped using it for now.

I found the same thing. I like Crew Chief for the longer races like in Super Late Models when some short tracks are like 100 laps and you have a chance to do little things from in car but for shorter races in legends and late models I find it is a little overkill.

Also here is a quick 1 page cheat sheet for anyone that is interested.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Diplomat
Dec 14, 2009

Dangerllama posted:

Not sure I’d want to race without Crew Chief.

I’d also really like a new overlay that gives me more driver and track info, but hell if I’m paying a recurring fee for one.

https://twitter.com/RaceLab3

I use a few of the overlays from RaceLab, download for free from the discord linked on his twitter.

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

I've played around with RaceLabs as well. It's been a while though, I see it looks like he added quite a bit. When I tried it, it was just a couple Standings overlays and that's about it.

Diplomat
Dec 14, 2009

I find the fuel overlay, and advanced panel (to view RPMs without looking down in some cars) to be particularly useful. I also like using the relative overlay so I can change the blackbox without losing my relative view.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Two questions for y’all:

- What’s the best shift point on the Skips? I feel like I’m always either too late or too early on my up shifts.

- What are your favorite resources on passing technique? I spent 10/13 laps behind a guy at Oulton who just would. not. make a significant mistake. I was able to take a couple of runs getting a better exit through turns 16/17 — getting just about side by side coming into turn 1, but then was never able to make it stick.

Have I mentioned that I really like Oulton?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I like 6000rpm for everything but the 4-5 shift, where I wind it out a bit further to 6200 or so. It doesn’t seem to make power much past 6000rpm, but starting 5th with a couple hundred extra RPM seems to help.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The skip makes a weird popping sound right before it his the rev limiter and I just shift when I hear that.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.
You can learn how to make oval setups decently well by basically brute forcing changes and looking at telemetry. Getting the ride height as low as possible was a solid general rule. I got to the point years ago where I could make an OK oval setup from scratch, but it would take me three or four hours in testing to get equal with what someone would make in 15 minutes that is good at setups. I imagine continuing down that road would keep cutting down the time and eking out even better results, but I gave up on it.

This video series seemed pretty good back then:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hWZeANRyKA

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

ManicJason posted:

I used this too, and same to all of it.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Anyone have a recommendation for what kind of lubricant to use on a set of Fanatec ClubSport pedals with a squeaky throttle? It's driving me nuts.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

White lithium or dielectric greases would be safe.

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

ManicJason posted:

You can learn how to make oval setups decently well by basically brute forcing changes and looking at telemetry. Getting the ride height as low as possible was a solid general rule. I got to the point years ago where I could make an OK oval setup from scratch, but it would take me three or four hours in testing to get equal with what someone would make in 15 minutes that is good at setups. I imagine continuing down that road would keep cutting down the time and eking out even better results, but I gave up on it.

Yeah. That's one thing that I do remember from futzing around with setups is that you absolutely had to seal the nose of the car to the track in the turns. And if I remember right, the correct camber angle for any track was "all of it". It's been a while since I've messed with it so I don't know if they patched out the max camber thing yet.

I never did mess with telemetry though, which may be where I went wrong. I went only by feel and lap times.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

The skip makes a weird popping sound right before it his the rev limiter and I just shift when I hear that.

It's this. If you know what to listen for, it has a built-in shift tone. That sound is...something (valve float?) happening in the engine that marks the point where power starts to drop off.

Edit: vvvvv Yeah, I could see someone describing it like that. It's more of a gurgling or rattling sound to me.

Theris fucked around with this message at 17:28 on May 22, 2020

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Is it that sucking noise right at the top of the revs?

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
even lighter indylights

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsEtQmhSmEQ

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Tire set limits are coming, hope this comes to the endurance races eventually too.

quote:

Introducing Tire Set Limits!

It’s one of the most important factors on a rough track: how well you manage your tires, and keeping a fresh set for the end of the race. Starting with 2020 Season 3, tire set limits will be coming to iRacing in a limited rollout, starting with five stock car series.

The all-new NASCAR Legends Series, NASCAR iRacing Class C Fixed Series, NASCAR iRacing Tour Modified Series, and iRacing Super Late Model Series will all limit drivers to one extra set of tires. In the iRacing Street Stock Series (Class C), drivers will have to finish the race with the same set of tires they started with!

In addition to these public series, tire set limits will also be available in Hosted and League races.

You can't re-use scuffed tires yet, but it's planned

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yesssss. This will fix the lack of pit strategy in Indy Fixed when you end up with endless yellows and no penalty for taking fresh tires every time.

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

Yesssss. This will fix the lack of pit strategy in Indy Fixed when you end up with endless yellows and no penalty for taking fresh tires every time.

Same with trucks, although I do expect the number of restart incidents caused by wheelspin to skyrocket, because, let's face it, nobody in C Fixed Truck racing has had to worry about throttle control in a long, looong time.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
:siren: Gooncar alert! :siren:

First Le Mans practice race before the 24 next month, HPD/GTEs/Radical (free!), session goes up 25 mins from this post.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZG4R8WUIP9Q

I wanna fly like an eagle
To the sea
Fly like an eagle
Let my spirit carry me
I want to fly like an eagle
'Till I'm free
Oh, Lord, through the revolution

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

You can't re-use scuffed tires yet, but it's planned

Oh man. 24 hour races with 24 sets of tyres gonna be sweet.

Edit gt3 endurance with 3 sets for 3 hours would be interesting considering 3 stops is a somewhat strategy with teams with 3 drivers and one would have to go without tyres.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 00:48 on May 23, 2020

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty
Got my hands on a cheap and surprisingly not nasty Oculus Rift CV1 a few days ago. Was thinking of giving iRacing a shot again after many years. Sadly there doesn't appear to be any form of resub offer going on at the moment. Any ideas on whether they will have one in the near future? They usually have some sort of offer one or twice a year from what I remember.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

They had one last month, so I'd expect it's going to be a little while until the next one.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty

njsykora posted:

They had one last month, so I'd expect it's going to be a little while until the next one.

Bummer. I didn't get anything in my mail at least. Last offer I got was in December. Guess I'll just have to bite the bullet and buy a month full price then.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Upcoming Gooncar stuff:

Friday 29th - 2nd Le Mans practice event (HPD/GTE/Radical)

Saturday 30th - Indycar practice event @ legacy Pocono (DW12)

Sunday 31st - Legends league race @ legacy Silverstone (Legend)

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
https://twitter.com/DWRshow/status/1265988405898272771

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

This is incredible.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
Anybody know if it's possible to bind a button in iRacing to recenter my TrackIR? I tried 'recenter tilt axis' and 're-center hmd' but neither seems to work.

Any ideas?

edit:

Question 2: when I alt-tab out of iRacing (or some notification steals focus, resulting in basically the same), I lose my connection, and when I restart the sim I get all the menus but no view of the track and the message "10057: Error detected on network device" 3 times.

Exiting the sim and rejoining doesn't help, even restarting my PC doesn't work. Neither does disabling/enabling my network adapter. The only thing that helps seems to be time, and lots of it: I haven't exactly timed but it can be an hour or more.

Anybody know what to do about this? Both in the prevention and the resolution department. I now have changed iRacing from full screen to windowed mode, hoping that will prevent this in the future. Dunno if that's going to work.

uXs fucked around with this message at 20:15 on May 29, 2020

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Vando posted:

Upcoming Gooncar stuff:

Friday 29th - 2nd Le Mans practice event (HPD/GTE/Radical)

Saturday 30th - Indycar practice event @ legacy Pocono (DW12)

Sunday 31st - Legends league race @ legacy Silverstone (Legend)

First of these is an hour from this post. Will also be around for a fun race after, we can decide what during/after the Le Mans race.

Pryce
May 21, 2011
I was having a great time getting into this this week when my Fanatec gear arrived, and then something happened today and I absolutely cannot get stable CPU usage in-game. Task manager says I have less than 30% usage but in-game it’s saying it can’t keep up with the renderer.

Only thing I found was a suggestion that changing audio settings solved it, but tried that and hit a dead end. Anyone else ever see this and have any suggestions?

EDIT: uninstalled and reinstalled and problem solved? Super weird.

Pryce fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jun 2, 2020

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Racing incident question: when do you have to hold your line vs when can you setup for the turn?

I did tonight’s MX5 race at Lime Rock. Approaching turn 6(?), the chicane off no name straight, there’s a guy coming in behind me. I’m about a car’s width from the left side of the track. As we’re approaching the turn (right on the kink in the road about 50m before the tree, maybe 150m before the turn?) he gets his nose juuuuust inside my left bumper, I move left to setup for the turn, make contact and off I go.

I gave him a “thanks dude” (I really need to stop doing that) and he replied that I’d cut him off.

So I guess my question is: if you’re moving in to setup for a turn, at what point does someone have a right to the line vs when should they back off to give the car in front the line? Should I have just kept the inside line into the chicane?

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

You're going to probably get a few different opinions on this.

Personally for me, when they cross the plane of my rear bumper I treat it as if they are right alongside me and drive a line as if they were.

If they're up far enough for a spotter to call it, I give them room. This doesn't mean I surrender the line, I just modify it as if I was completing a pass on them rather than vice versa. The way I figure is that they aren't running the ideal line either and since they're on the wrong side for passing on this turn, I have the advantage.

If there's physically a car there, I try to avoid hitting them no matter if they're overlapping by a foot or the whole car. I don't make the move you did because I simply assume that they won't back out. I wouldn't I were them.

I'd rather lose the spot and get them back when they overcook a turn trying to get away from me than bin it.

YMMV

Jay_Zombie fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jun 3, 2020

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
If they are far enough along side that you moving over causes contact, then you have to yield that part of the track to them. No one is obligated to move out of your way if you want your car to be in a spot occupied by their car. You should have moved over before he got close enough to force him to slow down. Just pay attention to your F3 black box and have the spotter on. Don't try to move over unless you are sure the space you are moving into is empty. As Fernando Alonso once said "You have to leave a the space"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
Can only do by video.