Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Skips are fun as heck and everyone should race them. They’re also what got me to finally learn the Nordschleife after years of phoning it in on Gran Turismo.

Spent 45 minutes learning PI today. I hit 1:27.5ish but am having trouble finding that extra second. Turns 2 and 9 are pretty challenging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
I'm A in Oval and Road, I still come back to the skippy every now and then. Been maining the new road to indy stuff this season and I'm really enjoying the fixed setup USF2000s, it's a nice step between the skippy and the more tightly wound open wheelers with more downforce. The Indy Pro 2000 is probably my favorite of the open wheelers I've driven so far (F3, IndyCar, USF2000, Skippy, and Indy Pro), but the Skippy always has a fond place in my heart.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home

Outlaw Mailman posted:

Also, when the pace car pulls off, it is on the leader to start the race. He has every right to maintain pace speed until the green light comes on, though doing so often results in the type of pileup you described.

I had a guy do this a month or so back in late models. The leader backed the pace speed down to like 25mph. I was second row starting 4th so when the green came we kinda fumbled around and the pack started bunching up because the guy did not speed up at all. Eventually the guy starting second went and I went behind him. The guy in second got busted for beating the leader to the line and I got to continue on like I did nothing wrong. The pole car got on the mic and was all smug, where I come from the leader starts the race. I didn't say anything on the mic but where I come from if a lead car did something like that, the tower would wave off the start, have a full restart, and tell the lead car if he pulls some poo poo like that again he's going to the back of the line. Gotta love the guys who have never raced who 'know how to race'.

But in the world of iRacing it was an effective strategy, got his biggest competition in the race a penalty and he miraculously didn't get rear ended to hell so he won.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
That's protestable, just so you know. You have to maintain near pace car speed after it pulls off.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Vando posted:

New league season starts Sunday, a return to the Skip Barber!

(All times BST, check league sessions for your own local time)

:siren: REMINDER :siren:

This starts in 3 hours!

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
https://youtu.be/HSfnu4jw0go?t=267

#3 of this is amazing.

Sketh
Jun 7, 2008
Well, getting a cheap t150 and a playseat challenge for GT Sport progressed into > Oh PCars 2 is on sale I'll try that > Oh AC and ACC are on sale I'll try those > Well maybe I'll try an iracing sub and just race the MX-5 for a season > Looks like I'm buying the skip, stocking up on tracks, and eyeing a CSL elite in the space of like 2 weeks. Anyway, game good and slinging a skip poorly around Brands Hatch tomorrow sounds very much my poo poo, have applied to the league.

And while I know it's an old game I was pleasantly surprised that I can quite happily push 4k60 with my 6600k and aging gtx970 and it not look like complete dogshit :getin:

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

t150 is a gateway wheel and its irresponsible of thrustmaster to sell them with a disclaimer frankly. Make sure to join the Team Bearpope discord in the OP too! Slinging skips poorly around anywhere is what we do best

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?

Dangerllama posted:

Skips are fun as heck and everyone should race them. They’re also what got me to finally learn the Nordschleife after years of phoning it in on Gran Turismo.

Spent 45 minutes learning PI today. I hit 1:27.5ish but am having trouble finding that extra second. Turns 2 and 9 are pretty challenging.

Turn 2 is not actually that hard, the trick is to make sure you hug the inside of the loop the whole way around until you can peg the throttle and track out. It doesn't look it, but outside half of that corner is quite severely off-camber. The actual fastest way is to double apex the corner, but you really need to know where the drop off starts so you don't go too wide - really hard to do in a sim so I stay connected to the kerb the whole way instead and bank on a really good exit.

Turn 9 Lukey Heights is also an off-camber corner but I agree it's a very challenging one, and you need to get the line right to set up for the most important corner on the circuit. Generally all your braking is trail-braking and you want to get back on the throttle as early as you can while also exiting the corner at the far left to set up for MG. It's awesome when you get it perfect but you almost never do!

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.
Hi iRacing goons, I'm either joining iLMS or VRS Sprint next season w/ my B license. Probably leaning GT3 since I'm not trained on 60 minute stints yet.

I know the Audi is loved but not sure if I wanna start with a car known for killer lift off oversteer. Any recommendations on a good beginner car? I'm familiar with GT3 since I played ACC, but iRacing is always a different beast entirely.

I'm leaning either Merc or Ferrari. Although I do love the look of the Z4 GT3, which I know doesn't matter, lol.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Goon team uses the Merc almost exclusively and it's a fairly easy car to drive.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
I have the Ferrari and the Merc. For a beginner in GT3, I'd go with the Merc. You can use it in IMSA as well as VRS, and it's a very stable car. Might not ultimately be the fastest but finishing without spinning and crashing often results in better finishes.

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.
Merc it likely is then. It also has my favorite GT3 livery to boot (not even a weeb)

:getin:

Schorsch
Nov 23, 2010
Eh, the AMG has gone a bit out of favour. For the GT3 endurance events, the Z4 is probably the better car everywhere. Same characteristics as the AMG (engine front, RWD), but more nimble and safer to drive.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Best all-round car is the BMW, but it's only in the VRS series. Fastest car that can be used in both of IMSA and VRS is the Audi, but is trickier to run consistently vs the Mercedes.

Vando fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Aug 25, 2020

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

iLMS will be the GTE version of the ferrari rather than the GT3 though

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Yeah for some reason I was looking at the IES car list instead of iLMS, I blame iRacing for putting series that aren't even running this week up there. Edited to suit.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Looking at the iRacing profession page, I feel like I kind of hosed myself going from the MX-5 to IMSA in the 911 RSR. That’s a whole hell of a lot of car.

It also doesn’t help that I’ve improved my irating with the Skip and so am now usually getting placed in the second split in the IMSA races; where I’m usually qualifying 3 seconds off pole. For example, at VIR I was consistently turning low 1:46’s in the race while the leaders were doing 1:42’s. At least in the second/third split on Skips I’m qualifying within a second or so of pole, usually around 7th to 10th position depending on the night.

Should I find a more moderate series? If so, which would be a good, popular intermediate series? The Porsche GT3 cup perhaps?

Or should I just keep grinding, even if it means my road iRating isn’t congruent between sports car and open wheel.

Here’s the page I’m skimming. https://www.iracing.com/sports-car-career/

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Aug 27, 2020

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Stick with the car you have and learn it, the people who are really fast have done thousands if not hundreds of thousands of laps in the car. You're not going to be as fast as them after just a few weeks. If you can drive it safely and consistently you're already doing better than a lot of people.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Dangerllama posted:

Looking at the iRacing profession page, I feel like I kind of hosed myself going from the MX-5 to IMSA in the 911 RSR. That’s a whole hell of a lot of car.

It also doesn’t help that I’ve improved my irating with the Skip and so am now usually getting placed in the second split in the IMSA races; where I’m usually qualifying 3 seconds off pole. For example, at VIR I was consistently turning low 1:46’s in the race while the leaders were doing 1:42’s. At least in the second/third split on Skips I’m qualifying within a second or so of pole, usually around 7th to 10th position depending on the night.

Should I find a more moderate series? If so, which would be a good, popular intermediate series? The Porsche GT3 cup perhaps?

Or should I just keep grinding, even if it means my road iRating isn’t congruent between sports car and open wheel.

I had no idea that page existed, and to be honest it looks like iRacing forgot about it too because the GT series haven't been called The Blancpain Endurance/Sprint Series for like 3 years at this point. You definitely don't need to think in terms of a "career" for iRacing. The license system isn't so much a reflection of driver skill/speed and more just an arbitrary token that says "You may now drive car XYZ in official sessions". There are high skilled drivers in every single series from Advanced Mazdas up so it's not so much "progression" to move from skips -> GT cars for example. Just race whatever car(s) interest you the most and you find fun and your iRating will generally level out to skill level over time.

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.

Dangerllama posted:

GT3 Cup Car has no TC or ABS, so if anything that'd be even more difficult. Practice makes perfect, regardless of the car!

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

njsykora posted:

Stick with the car you have and learn it, the people who are really fast have done thousands if not hundreds of thousands of laps in the car. You're not going to be as fast as them after just a few weeks. If you can drive it safely and consistently you're already doing better than a lot of people.

I'm in a similar position as far as iRating and now being in 2nd splits a lot in late models and other oval cars and while I know being the small fish in the big pond isn't going to give me a chance to win, but it does help me/force me to work on my setups and finding a tenth here, a tenth there and start creeping up the leader board with the really good guys. Your last sentence is pretty key for good racing too, driving safely and consistently, which is what I see way more often out of the higher splits. It is so much more comfortable qualifying 6th or 8th and knowing the guy in 9th isn't going to try and pass all 8 cars in front of him in turn 1 lap 1. Part of getting better has been committing to 1 car for a season and working it as best I can, finding out the best ways to improve it that work for me and getting used to how certain adjustments are going to work.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
The 911 RSR is a good car, a bit touchy on the brakes, but the downforce and extra mechanical grip make it one of the easiest Porsches to drive. The cup car is fiendishly difficult to drive at the limit, with less mechanical grip, less aero grip, a more difficult and unique engine position, and no driver assists.

If you want something a little slower and forgiving to cut your teeth on, try the Cayman GT4. It's got TC and ABS, less power, and similar grip to the cup car, and a more friendly mid engine layout.

But yeah I agree with pretty much everyone, just practice more.

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.
Next season schedule is out: https://members.iracing.com/jforum/posts/list/3766396.page

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.
gently caress no suzuka or laguna seca on the schedule for b class GT3 :(

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

poo poo, I didn’t know the C8R was coming.

I guess I’ll be dogshit in that, too.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
I want to drive the C8, but I want to drive the Dallara more, and I've been focusing on downforce cars pretty much exclusively for the last little while so I'm probably gonna stick with the PM-18 and add the Dallara next season

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

As terrible of a road racer as I am I think I actually improved after running a bunch of road races with you guys this spring. I actually just did my first official Miata race of the entire year and won it. My irating was like 1037 or something when I started so I was in the 16th split so it wasn't like I had to beat Max Verstappen but a win is a win in my book plus I picked up 94 rating points. Felt good to run well and get a good finish since my oval rating is high enough now that I make top or 2nd split in a lot of races where I basically end up starting between 6th and 13th and finish somewhere between 6th and 13th. Anyway thanks to The Bear Pope for the training.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Does the C8R have the same BRAAAARP engine sound as the GT1 Corvette because if so I know what I'm buying first thing when I resub.

IMlemon
Dec 29, 2008
Does anyone have some tips on porsche GT3 cup car? I've been driving skippy this whole season and was doing fine, nothing crazy, but was holding my own at 1.4K IR quite comfortably. Decided it's time to try something new out, went with the cup car. I heard it's a handful to control, but it's way more than I was expecting. I did 3-4 hours of practice and I'm still mega slow, 6secs of the top times in Okayama. If I try pushing any harder there's a huge chance I'll spin either on the brakes or when accelerating out of the corner. Do I need to adjust my setup? I've been running with the baseline and have never touched anything setup related in iracing ever. It's possible I'm just too poo poo to drive this thing at a competitive pace, but I'd like to try a bit more because it's a blast when everything goes well.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

IMlemon posted:

Does anyone have some tips on porsche GT3 cup car? I've been driving skippy this whole season and was doing fine, nothing crazy, but was holding my own at 1.4K IR quite comfortably. Decided it's time to try something new out, went with the cup car. I heard it's a handful to control, but it's way more than I was expecting. I did 3-4 hours of practice and I'm still mega slow, 6secs of the top times in Okayama. If I try pushing any harder there's a huge chance I'll spin either on the brakes or when accelerating out of the corner. Do I need to adjust my setup? I've been running with the baseline and have never touched anything setup related in iracing ever. It's possible I'm just too poo poo to drive this thing at a competitive pace, but I'd like to try a bit more because it's a blast when everything goes well.
A good setup will certainly save you some time but that’s just a really hard car to drive. It’s a matter of putting in time and learning the car’s limits. You need to be very smooth in that thing.

All that said, if this is your first shot at gt racing I would probably try something else and come back to the cup. Every other gt category is way easier to drive and more fun. GT3 is a place where a lot of people get into it, they have ABS which makes them pretty forgiving. There’s also the Porsche GTE that’s not hard to drive, if you’re really into Porsches.

Wolfy fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Sep 5, 2020

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
The Porsche Cup car is probably the hardest of any on the GT ladder to drive, you have to constantly remember it's a rear-engined Porsche so you can't just chuck it into a corner, you have to have a smooth line keeping the weight of the car in line and never let it over-rotate because it won't come back.

There's not really any great trick to driving it other than "do what you'd do in any GT car except more consistently or you'll get punished" but if you persevere it'll make you better at everything else just from hammering home that consistency.

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

In the same way that learning the Skip helps you drive any open wheel car, if you can be even consistent in the GT3 Cup you will be able to feel out any other GT car in the service easily.

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.
oof, my first IMSA was frustrating. Lots of GTE drivers who apparently don't know it's their responsibility to overtake safely. Got punted twice from GTE nosedives in the zero-runoff areas on Charlotte Roval as if I'm just suppose give up my race. The oval is literally 10 seconds away and we're nearly equal in the corners, just wait :argh:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Shogunner posted:

oof, my first IMSA was frustrating. Lots of GTE drivers who apparently don't know it's their responsibility to overtake safely. Got punted twice from GTE nosedives in the zero-runoff areas on Charlotte Roval as if I'm just suppose give up my race. The oval is literally 10 seconds away and we're nearly equal in the corners, just wait :argh:

Truly the IMSA experience, right here. Can’t tell you how many times I’ve been punted or just SLAMMED down on in a corner, and then screamed at.

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.

MrYenko posted:

Truly the IMSA experience, right here. Can’t tell you how many times I’ve been punted or just SLAMMED down on in a corner, and then screamed at.

Yeah, I don't imagine it getting any better either as a GT3. Was curious to try it since I have the AMG but I'm just gonna wait for VRS next season.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Maybe I am just stupid, but there is not a single road race at Class C or higher going on right now?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

That's normal for week-normally-known-as-13. The long running higher class oval series keep running in official sessions, road just makes do with some low level stuff to let rookies hit MPR.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Streamers trying to race during this week are a treasure :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

IOwnCalculus posted:

That's normal for week-normally-known-as-13. The long running higher class oval series keep running in official sessions, road just makes do with some low level stuff to let rookies hit MPR.

I don't understand the point in doing this. Doesn't this leave out a pretty significant portion of the playerbase for an entire week? In the future I am going to use that time to work on Oval racing. I was just excited about getting back into iRacing but picked a bad week as someone who prefers Road racing above all else.