Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Kofi vs. Bryan at Wrestlemania?
This poll is closed.
Yes. 2 1.77%
Yes but louder. 25 22.12%
K O F I T R A I N 86 76.11%
Total: 113 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

It would absolutely, 100% make sense and be incredible to do Kofi/Bryan at Wrestlemania, but I feel that creeping sense the nature of all of this as a fill-in for Ali's injury means they have no plans to capitalize on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

YourHumbleMessiah posted:

Just have Orton Kofi at fastlane for number 1 contender, put Kofi over and just do it you dumb company

Kofi vs. Ali for a Number One Contender's spot would be cool as hell.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

This is almost like how the Becky/Charlotte/Ronda booking should have gone haha

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Was there ANY build to this Kofi thing before this week? My impression of it was that Ali got hurt so they threw Kofi into his spot, had him wrestle his rear end off to win the audience, and then rode that to the usual WWE hope moment. Some people are talking like there's this obvious program for him to "main event" Wrestlemania and like while that might happen as an audible if its one of those rare occasions where WWE decides to ride something the fans want it seems pretty clear there isn't some kind of an "obvious" plan or storyline to "wait and let play out." Unless I missed something.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

CarlCX posted:

It would absolutely, 100% make sense and be incredible to do Kofi/Bryan at Wrestlemania, but I feel that creeping sense the nature of all of this as a fill-in for Ali's injury means they have no plans to capitalize on it.

Just shuffle them. Kofi vs Bryan for the belt and have Ali vs Cena.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

STAC Goat posted:

Was there ANY build to this Kofi thing before this week? My impression of it was that Ali got hurt so they threw Kofi into his spot, had him wrestle his rear end off to win the audience, and then rode that to the usual WWE hope moment. Some people are talking like there's this obvious program for him to "main event" Wrestlemania and like while that might happen as an audible if its one of those rare occasions where WWE decides to ride something the fans want it seems pretty clear there isn't some kind of a plan or storyline being played out. Unless I missed something.

i don't watch wwe television but yes

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Cavauro posted:

i don't watch wwe television but yes

Yeah well WWE doesn't watch Cavauro television, whaddaya think of that big shot.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Onmi posted:

Just shuffle them. Kofi vs Bryan for the belt and have Ali vs Cena.

I don't think Ali was going to get the Bryan feud either, though, hence why he was getting into snits with Joe and Orton.

YourHumbleMessiah
Oct 11, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

I love this too, I'm just basing my theory on Orton eating the Pin from kofi tonight and basing it on THE PAST.

Man I'm ready for Smackdown this week.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

STAC Goat posted:

Was there ANY build to this Kofi thing before this week? My impression of it was that Ali got hurt so they threw Kofi into his spot, had him wrestle his rear end off to win the audience, and then rode that to the usual WWE hope moment. Some people are talking like there's this obvious program for him to "main event" Wrestlemania and like while that might happen as an audible if its one of those rare occasions where WWE decides to ride something the fans want it seems pretty clear there isn't some kind of an "obvious" plan or storyline to "wait and let play out." Unless I missed something.

This wasn't planned at all, Ali getting injured meant they needed a replacement and Kofi is reliable, and somewhere along the way they decided to have him do an hour plus and the crowd's reaction was obviously strong enough that they gave him the hope spot against the champion on this PPV. People are just hoping that WWE actually continues to pay attention and take advantage of a hot potential matchup even if they only accidentally stumbled onto it and they have some other plan that will probably lack the spontaneous and natural feel that Kofi vs. Bryan would.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Also a lot of credit should go to Xavier and BIG E who have spent YEARS now consistently and lovingly putting over Kofi as a main eventer and their unanimous pick for the top guy in their stable. So even when something like this pops up out of nowhere without planning, there is a story that can be told thanks to the work these guys put in (on their own) over the years.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Also a lot of credit should go to Xavier and BIG E who have spent YEARS now consistently and lovingly putting over Kofi as a main eventer and their unanimous pick for the top guy in their stable. So even when something like this pops up out of nowhere without planning, there is a story that can be told thanks to the work these guys put in (on their own) over the years.

That's why it's so easy for the crowd to get behind this - it's 100% genuine. Kofi is absolutely busting his rear end in the ring to match the "this could be his only chance" feeling. And the crowd already has a ton of respect for him to begin with. It's so good.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Also there is literally no easier story than the Merch, and Consumerist as hell New Day vs rear end in a top hat enviromentalist, and anti-consumerism Daniel Bryan.

They once again backed themselves into an amazing story and build

You can also do all sorts of combination of matches with Bryan/Rowan(maybe someone else) and The New Day during the build.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN

Jerusalem posted:

And, to be clear, the feud would not be "Kofi v. Bryan," it would be "New Day v. Green Day." Kofi on his own may not be a main eventer, but The New Day together sure as hell is main event caliber

Psychepath
Apr 30, 2003
Kofi/Bryan would have the added drama of likely being Kofi's actual last chance at a title, and for once if they wanted they could do title vs career and the outcome wouldn't be predictable.

Big E and Woods vs Rowan and Bryan at Fastlane to get Kofi his Mania match.

Ragnarok the Red
Jun 21, 2002

Jerusalem posted:

This wasn't planned at all, Ali getting injured meant they needed a replacement and Kofi is reliable, and somewhere along the way they decided to have him do an hour plus and the crowd's reaction was obviously strong enough that they gave him the hope spot against the champion on this PPV. People are just hoping that WWE actually continues to pay attention and take advantage of a hot potential matchup even if they only accidentally stumbled onto it and they have some other plan that will probably lack the spontaneous and natural feel that Kofi vs. Bryan would.

Vince actually pivoting with Charlotte away from female Roman/Becky copy & paste to actually having her be arrogant nepotism heel for the Mania match gives me hope they'll roll with Kofi's surprise awesome positive reactions as well.

God we have such a potential feelgood triad of Becky, Kofi and Seth all winning and the crowd going nuts and being ultra happy for the event I worry how they'll muff the easiest punt in years. :ohdear:

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

while i normally dislike wwe main roster camera work, i really appreciate all the crowd shots in the last match tonight as the crowd desperately wants that kofi win

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED
Can everyone shut the hell up about Kofi for a second and answer the most pressing question: How can anybody stop Baron Corbin

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

wrap it up

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
Either Kofi vs. Ali, Kofi vs. Orton, or Kofi vs. Cena for the No. 1 spot for WM at Fast lane with Kofi winning. Just let this happen.

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

Blessed be the woodworkers
The crosses and the gallows

Blessed be the forgers of iron
And the spikes and the barbwire

Blessed be the stone cutters
It took a quarry to bury the dreams

Artelier posted:

while i normally dislike wwe main roster camera work, i really appreciate all the crowd shots in the last match tonight as the crowd desperately wants that kofi win

No worries, they had plenty of terrible camera work tonight on top of that

Ragnarok the Red
Jun 21, 2002

Midnightghoul posted:

Can everyone shut the hell up about Kofi for a second and answer the most pressing question: How can anybody stop Baron Corbin

Baron Corbin has a Ferrari, he is too fast.

The only thing that can stop him now is...

The Big Bossman :zombie:

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

Midnightghoul posted:

go within 500 feet of a middleschool

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Dexo posted:

Also there is literally no easier story than the Merch, and Consumerist as hell New Day vs rear end in a top hat enviromentalist, and anti-consumerism Daniel Bryan.

They once again backed themselves into an amazing story and build

You can also do all sorts of combination of matches with Bryan/Rowan(maybe someone else) and The New Day during the build.

I want nothing more than for Daniel Bryan to set up a youtube account and do one of those 3 hour analysis rants about why Xavier Woods' gaming youtube channel is harming today's youth.

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED

Ragnarok the Red posted:

Baron Corbin has a Ferrari, he is too fast.

The only thing that can stop him now is...

The Big Bossman :zombie:

The only thing that can stop a ferrari is another ferrari with a tank engine

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Dexo posted:

Professor Funk posted:

And, to be clear, the feud would not be "Kofi v. Bryan," it would be "New Day v. Green Day." Kofi on his own may not be a main eventer, but The New Day together sure as hell is main event caliber

Seriously, it would be so loving cool. I really, really hope they do it.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Did that Lacey Evans thing actually happen? One friend went for a smoke and the other was petting his pug, and I'm like "Evans is going wrestle?" "Who?" but she was already gone?????

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Spiderdrake posted:

Did that Lacey Evans thing actually happen? One friend went for a smoke and the other was petting his pug, and I'm like "Evans is going wrestle?" "Who?" but she was already gone?????

YES! She walked out, the commentators said,"Oh what's happening now?" and then she just... turned around and left.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Jerusalem posted:

YES! She walked out, the commentators said,"Oh what's happening now?" and then she just... turned around and left.

It was the best use of Lacey Evans.

Ragnarok the Red
Jun 21, 2002

Midnightghoul posted:

The only thing that can stop a ferrari is another ferrari with a tank engine

So that's where Bray went. He's been Corbin's car engine all this time! :aaaaa:

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Maybe Lacey Evans will become the new Eva Marie

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah, that's what I figured. And like I'm not knocking the HOPE that the ride the buzz and cash in on it. There just seems to be this other strand of "wait to let it play out" or "its obvious Kofi is the best set up option" that seems kind of "the plan was always to have Daniel Bryan beat HHH at WM."

I'm not doom and glooming it. WWE does this all the time. Some plan goes to hell and they call an audible, some good worker with earned good will works his rear end off and wins over the crowd, they ride that and then follow through on their plans. Occasionally they milk it or follow through on it, and maybe that will happen this time. For WWE viewers' sakes I hope it does.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I want nothing more than for Daniel Bryan to set up a youtube account and do one of those 3 hour analysis rants about why Xavier Woods' gaming youtube channel is harming today's youth.

Could they do a "title vs. career" stipulation? If New Day wins, Kofi is WWE Champion. If Green Day wins, Kofi retires. It seems odd, but I'd love to see some stakes to it.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Lacey Evans got more of a spotlight in a 20-second walkon than Ruby Riott in a women's championship match and I'm still mad about it.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
As nice a story as the Kofi thing is, I don't know that it'll pan out the way anyone is hoping. They'll probably see having Daniel Bryan stomp the gently caress out of him a few more times as a great way to get heel heat.

That said, I have no idea what they were planning to do with Bryan at Wrestlemania and Kofi is guaranteed to put on a good show so they'd be idiots to waste this. It's not like they have months of build invested in a feud for Bryan or something. Book Kofi against *insert name here* at Fastlane for the chance to challenge Daniel Bryan at Wrestlemania, put Kofi over, and make the decision about the Wrestlemania result once you've got a better idea of the Kofi hype is for real or just a momentary fad.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Push Kofi, and the IIconics, and Rusev.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Waffleopolis posted:

Could they do a "title vs. career" stipulation? If New Day wins, Kofi is WWE Champion. If Green Day wins, Kofi retires. It seems odd, but I'd love to see some stakes to it.

Make it 'never wrestles again', so that Kofi can stick around in a managerial role for Xavier and Big E and they can keep the unit together for merch and marketing purposes.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
If they do follow through with Kofi this WrestleMania could accidentally be amazing with Becky and him.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Lost in the Kofi Kingston buzz is that Corey Graves is still a dogshit human being

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YourHumbleMessiah
Oct 11, 2005

AsInHowe posted:

Lost in the Kofi Kingston buzz is that Corey Graves is still a dogshit human being