Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Kofi vs. Bryan at Wrestlemania?
This poll is closed.
Yes. 2 1.77%
Yes but louder. 25 22.12%
K O F I T R A I N 86 76.11%
Total: 113 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

I'm not crying, you're crying :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

Jerusalem posted:

Wait I was wrong.

How to spin gold into turds: the WWE story

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I want Kofi getting a big ol' WM moment as much as anybody, but realistically that's not how they picture him or the New Day. As I've said before though in the world where Jinder Mahal got an out of nowhere push to be WWE champ, Kofi getting that shot is very possible and I'll be surprised if it doesn't happen before his career is over.

I don't think WWE is that great or really has a history of adapting WM plans so close to the event, which is a big part of why I don't think Kofi's getting a title shot at WM. And as much as the fans at the event and on this forum may love him, he's just not as big of a star as people like Bryan and A.J., and if we're all being honest with each other he's not as talented overall as people like them or Samoa Joe, though he can certainly hang and a big part of my perception of him as not being on that talent level is that he hasn't been given a fraction of the opportunities that they have to put on 5* matches that tell a great story in the ring and in the build to the match. We saw a brief glimmer of that in that notable long-ago feud with Orton and we're seeing a glimmer of it now, and a bunch of buds bonding over wanting one guy to be the top champ is a great story that really hasn't been done, and I would love to see them take that in an interesting new direction with Kofi as the champ.

Now if it were up to me but I'm prevented from having him beat Bryan at WM and striking while the iron is hot, well then one thing New Day has certainly proven is that they're able to stay hot and relevant over a long period of time. And you know who's been in a quite a few recent MITB matches (2014, '15, and '18)? Kofi. Give him the briefcase and set up a title run through that method, after being given so few chances he finally came through in a match after so long being the guy that one one expected to have a shot.

Want a built in long-term story for Smackdown too? Have Bryan keep the belt all the way through to next WM (lord knows he can sustain a long reign) and have Kofi declare he's going to cash in at Wrestlemania, just like Daniel Bryan claimed he was going to do before he cashed in early, and have him actually follow through. New Day weave in and out of feuds here and there, Kofi defends his briefcase at some point because that's a fun and tense match, then you basically do a triple threat build as WM closes in with Bryan and someone else and Kofi, Kofi cashes in at the start of the match to join it and wins the title. You also get to play up Bryan getting increasingly unhinged as Kofi keeps taunting him with that drat briefcase, coming in every 2-3 months or so after Bryan's match is done, and every time he does he just walks in with the briefcase, stares down Bryan, and does that iconic post-rumble point to the WM sign that isn't there. Or if you put the briefcase on the backburner for like a year (though why the heck would you), and not have Kofi announce his intention to cash in at WM you could have Kofi come down and point at the WM sign after Bryan' title defense at the Rumble.

But what about Kofi's awesome Rumble tradition? Here's the mindblowing thing I just thought of: you put him on commentary for that year's rumble. Then he keeps running off to save New Day members as they're in trouble, somehow he has them land with their feet on the briefcase because of course that should happen, and eventually somebody (or like a lot of Smackdown guys) get fed up with it and beat him up, or possibly Bryan or the champ take him out.

Oh, and a big selling point to me for this is that you set up that here's a guy who's willing to give up the ultimate "sure thing" chance of getting a title that having both MitB and two stablemates who would be happy to beat up the champ for him, hell at one point you can probably do a tease where Big E and Woods actually do beat up the Champ after they've had a grueling match and set him up on a silver platter for Kofi, but he's just not willing to finally get the title that way and he talks them back into doing things the right way. He's got every opportunity for the heel cash in, but he does it honestly at the start of the match (very rarely done), and he does it to get the chance at WM glory.

Basically take that anticipation and love for Kofi that we're feeling right now after like a week or two of build, two good matches, and two good backstage promos, and then expand that over a nearly year-long storyline, and yeah if I can't have my immediate gratification I'd certainly take a story along these lines.

Apologies for going off fantasy booking, as usual when I get sucked in to something WWE's doing my mind start's spinning stuff up. Hope it's at least somewhat interesting, if it's not your thing then I think my first few lines are very on topic and then I just take the Kofitrain right off the rails.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
That sounds great and all but the biggest factor in all this is how bored Vince gets with something, including having multiple MitB winners just outright lose cash-ins. It might be neccessary to have some losers in there but why book them like cowards/morons/jobbers when they have the case as if it's some kind of RPG stat-reducing item

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Bryan is going to lose the title at Wrestlemania. He's not going to go to Saudi Arabia, and that will be just a few weeks afterward.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Veryslightlymad posted:

Bryan is going to lose the title at Wrestlemania. He's not going to go to Saudi Arabia, and that will be just a few weeks afterward.

Oh, right. I almost forgot for a brief moment that this company loving sucks. :sigh:

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Rey vs Bryan for the title please, Rey wins, then use that to shove Rey and Almas up into a main event feud

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

Wait I was wrong.

On the bright side, think about it the other way around: consider how many important events in your life have been improved, significantly even, by the absence of Randall Orton :pseudo:

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I was glad that the person who is going to be in the big Mania match was allowed to win her title match in a decisive fashion for once.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

STONE COLD 64 posted:

per dave the mania direction is bryan/aj but its not locked in

No, totally you guys, THIS time Lucy will hold the football still and WWE will let its fans be loving happy about something

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

STONE COLD 64 posted:

per dave the mania direction is bryan/aj but its not locked in

STONE COLD 64 posted:

it may be a three way with orton.

lmao jfc

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Veryslightlymad posted:

Hmm yeah I forgot about the Saudi factor, when I get into my WWE booking fugue state I forget about the many reasons I've stopped watching regularly, which very much includes doing business with the Saudi government.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
If they don't appease Orton he might leave for AEW taking all his precious ideal wrestler body parts with him.

I think it would be deeply darkly hilarious if Randy is once again the reason a Kofi Koronation is Kiboshed.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

So apparently there was one person backstage who really, really wanted Becky/Ronda at Mania, but everyone else shouted at him until he agreed to go Charlotte/Ronda/Becky (these people didn't even want Becky winning the Rumble).

That person was Vince McMahon.

Everything is going to better when the people who insisted Charlotte be pushed over Becky Lynch have control, guys.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"

rare Magic card l00k posted:

So apparently there was one person backstage who really, really wanted Becky/Ronda at Mania, but everyone else shouted at him until he agreed to go Charlotte/Ronda/Becky (these people didn't even want Becky winning the Rumble).

Everything is going to better when the people who insisted Charlotte be pushed over Becky Lynch have control, guys.

Vince is the unlikely hero of this story, is he in his King Lear phase now?

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

That does kind of explain why Dave and Bryan have been shilling the Charlotte/Ronda/Becky triple threat as the better idea for the last few weeks if its Triple Hs idea rather than Vinces.
Dave being friends with Ric non-withstanding.
It has led to the surreal moments of Dave and Bryan arguing with people that they have to trust WWE.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Bryan/AJ/Orton is garbage which means that's almost certainly what we're getting.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised. New Day gets to "host" wrestlemania again and Xavier looks like he's about to go kill somebody backstage.

The MITB thing would be the dumbest way to do it. That's almost half a year away. Which means that WWE will book Kofi to get really close and almost touch the briefcase and then John Cena will win it. Kofi will have another backstage interview.

Then Vince hears about BLM and gets an idea.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I hope Bryan keeps the belt for a long time. He is doing some of the best work of his life and we dont know when he will have to go to the farm again.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I hope they add Lacey Evans and make it a 4-way.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Incessant Excess posted:

not sure how i feel about seeing lacey getting rkoed but okay

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
Sometimes people criticize internet wrestling fans for making GBS threads on WWE just because their favorites didn't win by saying that good storytelling makes the chase just as important or whatever.

I think the Kofi/DBry final at EC is a great example of how to actually do that well. DBry is like my second-favorite wrestler of all time. I never don't want him to win. However, the Kofi storytelling in the EC match was so good that I was genuinely rooting for him at the end and crushed when he didn't beat Daniel Bryan. But I was still ~satisfied~ with the match. The booking and the in-ring storytelling and the character work all came together to make a fan favorite loss still feel like a great story. For me anyway, that WAS an example of wins and losses not mattering because the story made Kofi a genuine star and DBry a dangerous, wily heel.

Compare that with the absolute hatchet job they did to Dean when they didn't let him beat, say, Brock at WM that one year. Or even how long it took them to give Asuka a shot at the top because we had to have Carmella with the title for too loving long. It wasn't just that the favorite didn't win, it's that the story completely took a dump on the favorites in a way that made the product unfun to participate in.

That Dang Dad fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Feb 18, 2019

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
Based on the Raw preview it looks like they’re getting...Baron Corbin involved in the Finn/Lashley feud. Joy.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Everything is going to be better when VinceHHH "steps down"/dies

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Incessant Excess posted:

Dave said she's getting a super big push, so she's probably beating Asuka

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Chris James 2 posted:

If they really wanna push her, why put her in a dark match?

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

Professor Funk posted:

Based on the Raw preview it looks like they’re getting...Baron Corbin involved in the Finn/Lashley feud. Joy.

The fun ending of the show led to me completely forgetting about that boring nonsense. It always cracks me up when the heels that are getting no reaction repeat their group taunt. This time the crowd will boo right?

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

Chris James 2 posted:

I've been saying this for weeks and weeks. Darkstar et al. thought her career was over at her performance in the Royal Rumble. She's extremely well liked by management and peers. She'll get a million chances and I genuinely don't understand those on and outside of this forum who see nothing in her potential wise.

No idea what's the plan for Asuka I should ask.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

This was Naomi/Carmella getting eliminated first instead of the originally-planned Iiconics, btw

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

rovert posted:

I've been saying this for weeks and weeks. Darkstar et al. thought her career was over at her performance in the Royal Rumble. She's extremely well liked by management and peers. She'll get a million chances and I genuinely don't understand those on and outside of this forum who see nothing in her potential wise.

i dont watch nxt
her promo was idiotic, botched a lot and reminds me of eve marie who i legit miss

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

rovert posted:

She'll get a million chances

Course she will, she's white and blonde

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
It should be Kofi.

It should always be Kofi.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Waiting for someone to report it but WWE broke up Lashley and Lio Rush as there is a lot of heat on Lio. Apparently, Bobby has gone to bat for him/saved his job a few times.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

rovert posted:

Waiting for someone to report it but WWE broke up Lashley and Lio Rush as there is a lot of heat on Lio. Apparently, Bobby has gone to bat for him/saved his job a few times.

Lio is just another enzo waiting to happen

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

rovert posted:

Here's some of the reasons why probably people don't like her:

- She's accused of being homophobic.

- She is transphobic. That became apparent when she came out in support of banning transgender citizens from serving in the US Military. (I mean I don't like the military, but if someone wants to serve in it (and is qualified), then there is no reason to stop them, regardless of gender)

- She dressed her kid up in blackface.

That's not even scratching the surface of why people don't like her.

DarkstarIV fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Feb 18, 2019

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

SunshineDanceParty posted:

The fun ending of the show led to me completely forgetting about that boring nonsense. It always cracks me up when the heels that are getting no reaction repeat their group taunt. This time the crowd will boo right?

If I'm remembering correctly, I think this was to get a better shot. There was a camera cut at some point during the night that showed one of the refs giving directions to whoever was in the ring. He was pointing to his eyes.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

DarkstarIV posted:

Here's some of the reasons why probably people don't like her:

I am not going through all that again. This is about her as a wrestler.

Zero of the above true or untrue matters to WWE and again she is well liked by the people actually know her which include your/our favs and woke favs. Just for example, Sasha Banks speaks of her extremely highly and her NXT curtain call had Io and Kairi crying and hugging Lacey.

Yes, she is green but she is factory made for/by WWE and is crazy driven.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

rovert posted:

I am not going through all that again. This is about her as a wrestler.

Zero of the above true or untrue matters to WWE and again she is well liked by the people actually know her which include your/our favs and woke favs. Just for example, Sasha Banks speaks of her extremely highly and her NXT curtain call had Io and Kairi crying and hugging Lacey.

Yes, she is green but she is factory made for/by WWE and is crazy driven.

When you win a title (or get pushed hard), you become a public face of the company. Everything I listed above could become a real issue at some point. Will it? Most likely not. But in today's climate, who knows. Especially since the whole blackface thing is an incredibly sensitive topic due to the Northam scandal.

DarkstarIV fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Feb 18, 2019

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

if pictures on the internet mattered wwe would not have pushed asuka

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

if pictures on the internet mattered wwe would not have pushed asuka

You could probably argue that Asuka's thing was a gimmick. Where Lacey is...not so much.

https://twitter.com/GoodBrotherMatt/status/1093193608658857985

Combine that with Lacey's fairly recent stuff against transgender rights and things get even messier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Lio is just another enzo waiting to happen

I don't think so at all. Watching Lio with his kid and hearing him talk he seems like a good dude. It just sounds like he's pretty opinionated and if there's one thing business higher ups hate it's people
With opinions.