Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Kofi vs. Bryan at Wrestlemania?
This poll is closed.
Yes. 2 1.77%
Yes but louder. 25 22.12%
K O F I T R A I N 86 76.11%
Total: 113 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Becky's knee is rapidly turning into a plot tumor. Just have her reveal she's faking it to gently caress with them and then let her kick rear end. Nobody wants to see the badass hero limping around like an idiot, especially after you literally just ended the "BECKY'S KNEE IS HURT" angle the very last week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Vandar posted:

Why would you break up one of the best stables in the company right now?

Becky's knee is going to turn into Seth's knee soon if they don't drop this nonsense quick. :argh:

Except Becky is the main event and its even dumber to have her doing this stupid injury crap leading into it. People want to see her kick rear end, not Daniel Bryan her way in.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

I still think the funniest criticism of Becky Lynch’s character is that people got all mad that she is self-aware that she’s really popular. Half of her gimmick comes from roasting people on fucken Twitter. Why would she not know that she is popular?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

I'm actually starting to wonder if they're just avoiding putting anyone in anything resembling a real match to protect them against injuries. If they're planning to main event WM with this, they're going to push the gently caress out of it PR wise, and the main event thing doesn't work if either Ronda or Becky actually can't work the match. Then again, they're doing all this random crutch violence and nobody told Ronda how to sell getting hit with a weapon.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Feb 18, 2019

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

I do have to admit it's funny they did a spot where a babyface hits his finisher and then gets pinned twice on this show and it worked once.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

AJ is fantastic but I can't think of a duller direction to go, unfortunately.

His contract is up so he’s getting the title

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Ruby getting jobbed out was the right call. It’s the main event of WrestleMania it doesn’t matter if she got squashed by the main event.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

VJeff posted:

Ruby can easily eat a squash loss to Ronda Rousey and bounce back. If I'd be annoyed about anything, it'd be that instead of being squashed, Ruby could've been in the Elimination Chamber match, which would've made that match better.

Like, if you just needed somebody to go out there and get murdered, you could have Ruby in the EC and have somebody else eat the loss, like. I dunno. Foxy.

Why would someone else have a championship match with the main event of WrestleMania on the line? The point is putting Ronda over. I like Ruby but Ruby does not matter whatsoever here nor does anyone else that isn’t Becky Lynch, Charlotte Flair or Ronda Rousey.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

VJeff posted:

....so Ruby can be in the Elimination Chamber match. Like I just said.

She can’t be in both of them. The point is Ronda beat the poo poo out of Ruby at full strength.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

VJeff posted:

lmao oh.

I mean that's still a better match strictly in-ring but wow. How recently was this?

Yes.

So.

You put Ruby in the EC match. And have somebody else be a sacrificial lamb for Ronda.

Why would someone else have a match against Rousey. Who cares if Ruby gets whacked? She is the highest level of the lowest tier of the card. Nobody is gonna remember that she got her rear end beat if you make her beat some other people up.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

VJeff posted:

Because Ruby is a good wrestler and I want to see her in the match where she can be a good wrestler you knobjob, how are you not getting this.

You’re assuming disagreeing with your take means someone doesn’t get it. I get it. But I don’t think it matters. They can make Ruby beat someone else up if they need to build her back up. It’s fine. Ruby isn’t doing anything in the WrestleMania picture, much less being within hours of main event.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Feb 19, 2019

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

https://twitter.com/wwe/status/1097641778436599810?s=21

I guess I have to watch Raw.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Gaz-L posted:

It's not, though. It's building Ronda up as unstoppable which is basically her role in the feud. Charlotte's doing her riff on her dad's gimmick, the rich, gifted woman who gets handed the world on a silver platter and rubs it in the face of the little people. Becky's doing her cocky 'Man of the people' shtick and meanwhile Ronda's destroying all comers. (Watch them have Ronda go 50/50 with Alicia at Fastlane to gently caress this up)

The problem is that some people aren’t willing to just accept that it doesn’t matter how anyone not in the match looks. The purpose of the match was putting Ronda over as a total badass. It’s fine. You can rehab Ruby (who was already a pretty big geek).

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

I mean all four of those guys are way bigger stars than anyone in the last round of callups

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Gaz-L posted:

Turns out Seth's too hurt to wrestle Brock so Kofi steps in again.

Do you remember the last Brock/Kofi match

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

karmicknight posted:

Isn't this the time of year things are supposed to be happening?

I think that was the equivalent of a breather episode.

No stories were advanced in the slightest and they filled almost the entirety of it with NXT people doing random as gently caress matches.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

sure okay

https://twitter.com/LarsSWWE/status/1097709234366558208

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Captain Magic posted:

Yeah Kevin Owens had a great debut as NXT champ.

I meant it’s been all downhill since, but...

Kevin Owens' new gimmick is just completely random guy.

I mean, I'm like 70% sure it's a swerve and he'll show up and just have the same gimmick he always did.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Veryslightlymad posted:

Repeat the AJ/Samoa Joe feud with Kevin Owens in AJ's place, but instead of freak out, KO is all "Oh, cool. Joe is a fantastic babysitter. I love when he randomly comes by my house. Him and my kids sit around and play video games. Sometimes he brings pie."

“I let him use my lucky mug.”

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Wazzu posted:

Remember when the Bruiserweight beat reigning champion Enzo Amore? How the gently caress has Pete Dunne been champ that long?

That happened when they asked Tyler Bate to show up for the European main roster tour while he was the UK champion and he told HHH he wouldn’t do it on the grounds he had already booked a “lad’s holiday” with his friends.

He quickly dropped the UK title after that and was immediately dropped down the card.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

AEW won’t have done anything by the time they do the induction. It’s fine. I think they let Flair or whatever show up for the Four Horsemen thing when he was in TNA too.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

DLC Inc posted:

this is why Kenny Omega was probably looking at that "walkoff in a 5 month span if need be" part of the deal and thought "ok so after a 5 month push they book me like poo poo for the next 5 years"

honestly anyone on the indies who isn't looking at Finn Balor's main roster situation as a warning sign is insane. Booked for years into inane poo poo with Baron Corbin, Lashley, and Lio Rush til the heat death of the universe

Money fixes booking problems.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

No Irish Need Imply posted:

You can admit you're just mad Asuka lost because she's a much better wrestler than Mandy Rose, you don't have to pretend it's bad storytelling.

I don’t know why that specific bit of very common carny storytelling is bothering anyone. It’s fine. The rest of the division is either in the main event of WrestleMania or sucks worse than Asuka so what do you expect?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

fatherofmustard posted:

When has WWE done a repeat match at WM though? It's kind of hard to believe that they would do Kofi vs Bryan at WM just 4 weeks after doing it at Fastlane.

Jericho/AJ Styles

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

Can’t blame him, he toiled for years in their developmental, finally found a character that worked for him and clicked with the audience, and then.... nothing. WWE did at least try a little something at first but it didn’t take them long to basically forget he existed.

Tye is one of those guys that people who are overly ambitious about AEW act like was a potential superstar who was totally misused in WWE. He's actually just a generic but steady hand with a one-syllable chant that had no real meaning whatsoever. The chant wasn't even that over by the time it hit the main roster.

I don't think AEW would sign him unless they were in desperate need of bodies (which would be a real bad sign) or he gets over a much better gimmick in the indies.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Spiderdrake posted:

He also just turned 38 so I hope AEW or NJPW or whoever takes him and let's him finish his career actually on screen. He's nothing amazing but it astounds me how much talent WWE wastes.

You could literally do a second royal rumble the night of the rumble and it might have been better than the first one!

...was he really wasted? He's just a guy.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Benne posted:

Nobody thought Tye was a future world champion, but a solid midcard guy with a fun catchphrase has a valuable role in promotions (including the ones who might sign him eventually), and in that sense, "literally never putting him on TV" is not getting the most out of him. It's not a stretch to say that WWE wasted him when they never even tried to get the most out his talents.

I mean you got one-dimensional sacks of poo poo like Baron Corbin and Lacey Evans on TV every week, you can't tell me there's no room for the funny Perfect 10 guy in 5 hours of weekly content.

He wasn't really over in that role though. Like, even as enhancement, people have to care about you at least a little or your're not really doing anything either for yourself or your opponent.

Like, I understand Baron Corbin sucks, but he's at least a big guy, so when he jobs you can make someone like Finn Balor look cooler, or if you feed him to Braun, it doesn't look like Braun is smashing up a total loser who is 150 pounds lighter than him.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Sugar Blaster posted:

"You know that gimmick we gave him where he says "10" and then ourselves validated by having him come out at #10 in the Royal Rumble that one time? The fans are having TOO much fun chanting that. Better hit the independent thought alarm and take him off of TV just to be safe."

That, or the 10 thing was literally his entire gimmick

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Feb 20, 2019

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Justin_Brett posted:

Wasn't his gimmick supposed to be that he was ten out of ten as in desirable, and not just 'the number ten'?

When the gimmick got over he wasn't do any of that, even in NXT.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Sugar Blaster posted:

Per Meltzer:

Like I'm not saying the dude was on a trajectory to be a WHC or anything, but he's another example of a guy who got hosed more than he should have because the people literally in control of everything that makes broadcast wanting to maintain a neurotic control over the reaction to what they decide to present to their audience.

Like, I can at least ascribe a few character trait to most of the characters, e.g.

Braun = Huge violent dude who overturns large objects;
Roman Reigns = Smoldering Badass who never loses;
Becky Lynch = Coolest Person in the World;
Adam Cole = Douchebag scheming guy who thinks he is awesome but is a least a little less awesome than he believes (because he is only clearly better than people when he cheats.)
Tye Dillinger = The number 10

Sure, there was a reason for the number at one point, but it wasn't relevant even when he had gotten over in NXT.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Feb 20, 2019

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

RealFoxy posted:

Just wait until Vince stops caring about Adam Cole because he's short and his character becomes "Shouting Bay Bay"

I dunno about that. Cole gives off a lot of character when he's with TUE. Like, I don't feel like I need to see a lot of TUE to know what they are and what they do. You don't have to explain anything about them.

Dillinger's "10" thing has to be explained to have any meaning. When the audience has no idea who you are or what you do, you're just a guy.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

RealFoxy posted:

Have you ever seen an NXT call-up before because they all revert immediately into a singular character trait and barely move past that.

That isn't actually true though. A lot of guys come through NXT who aren't nearly as charismatic as ardent NXT fans think they are. Becky Lynch was over the moment she got there and stayed that way until they gave her a push literally years later and she became the most popular character on the show. Elias wasn't really over in NXT but he is on the main roster despite being mostly one-note.

Benne posted:

What the gently caress needs to be explained about that gimmick

"He thinks he's the perfect 10, that makes him an (arrogant heel or confident babyface depending on the story)." That explanation takes 10 seconds tops and the audience will get it. This poo poo isn't hard, WWE just makes it hard.

It's not even the gimmick that has to be explained, it's anything about the dude or makes him any different than any other random dude on the roster. I would buy that way more for someone like Tyler Breeze, who had a significantly longer and more successful run, but is still basically enhancement.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Feb 20, 2019

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

CarlCX posted:

But Cole gets to play that character because the bookers have told him to and because he can reliably expect to be on television, regularly, in important positions and with prolonged matches. He has permission and opportunity to achieve that sense of importance that allows him to present a character.

Tye Dillinger wrestled on television nine times in the entirety of 2018. Two of those were clusterfucks with dozens of people in them and two were as a peripheral wheel in multi-man matches. The remaining five appearances lasted about a combined 25 minutes, and he got his rear end beat in every single one of them, usually in less time than it took for his opponent to make their entrance.

There was no possible way for him to be anything other than just a guy.

That was the character that got him promoted. He had to introduce that gimmick because he was just a guy in NXT, too.

I mean, I get WHY the hardcore fans want there to be strict continuity between NXT and the main roster, but it's not really a sensible thing to do. The condensed version of your character has to get over.

When Cole comes up, I'm not going to have to explain to my roommate who doesn't watch NXT everything about the character. He can figure it out by looking at the dudes in the group walking down the ramp and doing a match.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

CarlCX posted:

I'm not even talking about NXT continuity, I'm talking about simple opportunity. No character can get over without an opportunity to get over. Even your example presupposes Adam Cole debuts with his stable and his entrance and the full window of opportunity to look good, display a character and get the audience invested. If you brought Adam Cole to the main roster, introduced him as "the guy who says BOOM and BAY BAY a lot," had him wrestle Aiden English three times in four weeks and then never again put him on TV in any capacity save to yell his catchphrase before getting murdered by Baron Corbin a couple times a year, he'd magically become Tye Dillinger too.

Except that wouldn’t happen because Adam Cole has a lot more charisma than Tye Dillinger. If they did do that I’m sure he would get booked on TV more than Tye did.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Basically the shows were weird because it’s wacky backstage. Basically the story is all four of the callups were made because Vince felt the shows didn’t have anybody who would be a star so he literally just said “give me the four best NXT guys,” and they put them on a plane. This was decided a week ago. Originally Vince booked Balor v. Ricochet with the idea they would put on a totally kickass match, but HHH pulled the match because he didn’t want to have either guy lose.

The callups are going to be on Raw, SmackDown and NXT at the same time and they’re going to get “put over like crazy” on all of those shows.

Lacey isn’t likely to get the WM match against Asuka but they have plans to turn her into a main eventer and they want the show to be lead by Charlotte, Becky and Lacey whenever Ronda leaves which isn’t actually WrestleMania, it’s whenever Ronda decides she wants to take off. Dave notes she is a “team player” and could be convinced to stick around because she and Vince get along. Ronda’s goal is to get the women’s division over enough they could main event WM even if she wasn’t there.

Lacey is popular backstage with the other wrestlers and her background is relatable or something.

Also the match with Ruby was originally a match with Alexa but they decided the match would suck, so they got Ronda and Ruby to come up with a match a few hours prior to Raw starting because I guess Ronda and Ruby get along well.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Feb 20, 2019

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

jesus WEP posted:

All 4 of those guys are absolutely great, but the idea that “The Best Dudes In NXT” not including Adam Cole is insane to me. He’s a better worker than Ciampa and a way better promo than Ricochet

I don’t think TUE would get broken up. They’re probably a package faction.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Chris James 2 posted:

It’s literally just that Grimace guy and it has been just him for a while here, I appreciate you not wanting to name names but if everyone else in the thread is going to quote him and make me see that username I’m going to put 2 and 2 together and I’m not even going to fake being polite about it

Everything about how they treated Wade still hurts but I’m glad he’s long gone and free from this hell

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

The fact you brought over this weird grudge from GAF is getting weird.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

projecthalaxy posted:

Its time to litigate neogaf posting politics now, here in the kofi thread
It's not like I brought it up. Dude flipped out because Tye Dillinger is serious business.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Feb 20, 2019

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Incessant Excess posted:

If someone were not familiar with NXT, wouldn't it be kind of odd that the two singles champions go to the main roster to compete in the tag division?

I doubt the average person cares at all. They probably won’t care when they show up one day not having the belts.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Feb 20, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

I mean my actual point is that there’s a big difference between someone like Rusev and Tye Dillinger. Tye Dillinger was just a guy even in NXT.

Rusev is definitely the most underused dude they have. No ones saying they don’t gently caress the talent up all of the time but if you’re still watching at this point I can’t really see how Tye is the last stand.