Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Tiggum posted:

Everyone's does, and in sane countries that's fine because no one is ever comparing your signature against a reference to verify your identity (because it's wildly unreliable).

As an Australian I've only been finding out about the American electoral process in dribs and drabs over the years and every time I find out some new fact it's always some :psyduck: coocoo crazy :psyduck: bullshit that I would never have guessed.
Like, just the fact that they vote to elect a single candidate (plus VP) and then that person gets to choose their cabinet afterwards is loving insane.

E: I mean, not to start a derail about the Electoral College because we all know how loving crazy it is but it's really loving crazy
https://twitter.com/Redistrict/status/1313346398520258560

Slamhound posted:

My mother's signature never changed and that was unusual enough that the election poll workers would point it out when she would vote.

It would also make it difficult to forge for late notes to school.

A while back we discovered that our real estate agent had hosed up our lease and a housemate who'd moved out years ago needed to sign some paperwork to say that he didn't live here anymore but I'd lost contact with him and I decided to just fake his signature because it didn't look that complicated and it was way harder than I expected.

Also the idea that any party could collect the signatures of a significant number of registered voters and cast mail-in ballots on their behalf and the scheme wouldn't unravel at any point is just unbelievably dumb

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Oct 6, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Tiggum posted:

What assurance could they possibly be giving other than "looks genuine to me"? There's just no way to test that.

Well, from a purely practical standpoint, their reputation as trustworthy authenticators is what gives the assurance. But, just because a person's signature isn't a nearly perfect clone of every one they've ever written, that doesn't mean that they are all totally unique.

Yes, signatures change over time, and as I said in my example above, sometimes an authentic signature will be different enough to stand out like a sore thumb. But, there are usually key elements that stand out, and those don't change much over time. They may evolve, and that evolution can sometimes be used to narrow down when something was signed. But, those are the hallmarks of a signature. And as I understand it, it is those hallmarks that are usually used to authenticate a signature or identify a forgery.

I don't think I could do it, but that doesn't mean it can't be done.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It's not like an exclusively American thing to check signatures. England does it in its mail voting system too. I can't find broad worldwide information because the internet really wants to tell me about esignatures instead.

The US is also not alone in being increasingly unrepresentative. I think the UK got its least representative parliament in history last year. It's part old systems not really understanding modern populations and part decades of parties ruling by relatively thin margins wherein they'll eventually find any weak point to attack to reinforce their rule regardless of actual popular will.

Also the president isn't supposed to just be able to appoint whoever they want to the cabinet; congress is supposed to be able to check and confirm them or remove them, but the current administration has a few times just appointed people without congressional approval, and congress couldn't keep up with the chaos. Procedurally, the US government has been falling apart between the president refusing to pretend to be restricted by law and congressional republicans refusing to pretend that there's any sort of rule of law that could restrict him, and if you've got big chunks of the government just refusing to acknowledge the restrictions of the government, you get a massive breakdown of whatever balance that there was before.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Raxivace posted:

So does this all mean that the dude on Pawn Stars they bring in to "authenticate" celebrity signatures and the like is basically a fraud then?

Mark Hamill sometimes verifies stuff on twitter if you send him a picture, but since it's his signature he'd be a pretty good authority on it.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

As an Australian I've only been finding out about the American electoral process in dribs and drabs over the years and every time I find out some new fact it's always some :psyduck: coocoo crazy :psyduck: bullshit that I would never have guessed.
Like, just the fact that they vote to elect a single candidate (plus VP) and then that person gets to choose their cabinet afterwards is loving insane.

A while back we discovered that our real estate agent had hosed up our lease and a housemate who'd moved out years ago needed to sign some paperwork to say that he didn't live here anymore but I'd lost contact with him and I decided to just fake his signature because it didn't look that complicated and it was way harder than I expected.

Also the idea that any party could collect the signatures of a significant number of registered voters and cast mail-in ballots on their behalf and the scheme wouldn't unravel at any point is just unbelievably dumb
None of it makes sense and I'd almost say it's all an elaborate con but that's crazy talk. Seriously though one would expect something more high tech. Before any of this happened I assumed they'd go somewhere online and fill out using their registration IDs and unique security numbers or SOMETHING more complicated for mail in votes.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Also I feel like people should be a lot more explicit when talking about the Trump campaign threatening a coup or treason, and much like how it's an obvious crime for a man claiming to be fabulously wealthy to barely pay a dime in taxes, it's definitely a crime to openly attempt to reject the US electoral process. Call it what it is, even though the US's shambling institutions are incapable of actually responding to the obvious crime. Use the freedom of speech while it's still there.

Granted only talked to a couple and looked at posts online but it seems like most of America just assumes he misspoke or everyone is misunderstanding him. More posts about "Rapey Joe" than about "Stand back and stand ready" or "we'll just have to see". Reading online is a little frightening as Trump's followers 100% know what he is saying and reading to spring into action. Sounds bad but I was really hoping Covid would take care of the situation but nobody is getting off that lucky

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

E: I mean, not to start a derail about the Electoral College because we all know how loving crazy it is but it's really loving crazy
https://twitter.com/Redistrict/status/1313346398520258560

You can actually do even worse than this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wC42HgLA4k

It is extremely politically implausible just because the leanings of the states in question do not align this perfectly, but you can theoretically win the US presidency with only 22% of the popular vote.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Im pretty sure, in theory it could be way more excessive than this. In that maximized scenario the dems would pick the all the biggest states with the smallest relative worth of the vote until they land just below the middle. Those states go 100% to them with everyone voting. So that's like 100 million votes. In each remaining state, only one person bothers to vote and they all pick red. So the democrats win the popular bit by 99,999997%. But they win nothing else.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

The Cheshire Cat posted:

It is extremely politically implausible just because the leanings of the states in question do not align this perfectly, but you can theoretically win the US presidency with only 22% of the popular vote.

The fact that it is theoretically possible should disqualify the entire system in the mind of any reasonable person.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Orange Devil posted:

The fact that it is theoretically possible should disqualify the entire system in the mind of any reasonable person.

In any election it's theoretically possible that only one person votes and so their pick automatically wins. A reasonable person can tell the difference between what's technically possible and what's actually plausible or likely.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
lol

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

SlothfulCobra posted:

The US is also not alone in being increasingly unrepresentative.

"Increasingly" is right, just look at this fucker go:

https://twitter.com/SenMikeLee/status/1314009246305079296
https://twitter.com/SenMikeLee/status/1314009467311271938
https://twitter.com/SenMikeLee/status/1314012494227296258
https://twitter.com/SenMikeLee/status/1314089207875371008

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
When you vote you are exercising political power. You're using force! And force, my friends, is violence: the supreme authority from which all other authority is derived.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Arcsquad12 posted:

When you vote you are exercising political power. You're using force! And force, my friends, is violence: the supreme authority from which all other authority is derived.

You. What is the difference, if any, between a citizen, and a civilian?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

TheCenturion posted:

You. What is the difference, if any, between a citizen, and a civilian?

A citizen accepts personal responsibility for the safety the body politic, defending it with his life, a civilian does not.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Arcsquad12 posted:

A citizen accepts personal responsibility for the safety the body politic, defending it with his life, a civilian does not.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_7FaWnlhS4

https://getshirtz.com/products/service-guarantees-citizenship
T-shirts in a variety of colours. Also you can get a hoodie! Buy today for freedom!

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

The exact words of the text. But do you understand it? Do you believe it?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I dont know.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

I dont know.

Of course you don’t. I doubt anyone here would recognize civic virtue if it reached up and bit you on the rear end.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

TheCenturion posted:

Of course you don’t. I doubt anyone here would recognize civic virtue if it reached up and bit you on the rear end.

:lmao:

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

TheCenturion posted:

Hi-Fiving with swords?!? I can do that! Whose got some swords?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The enemy cannot high-five with swords if you disable his hand.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Baraka would like a word

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
I’d expect any one of you to do the same for me.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

TheCenturion posted:

I’d expect any one of you to do the same for me.

:hfive: :hist101:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

:toot:
They did it!
https://www.newstimes.com/local/article/Much-needed-laugh-Danbury-officially-names-15632527.php

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
What were the four things that Limbaugh was railing against that the nazis right wing decry as anti american or whatever? It was a few episodes back. I think it was schools, reporters, science and something else.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Milo and POTUS posted:

What were the four things that Limbaugh was railing against that the nazis right wing decry as anti american or whatever? It was a few episodes back. I think it was schools, reporters, science and something else.

The segment starts about 5:30 here

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Tiggum posted:

In any election it's theoretically possible that only one person votes and so their pick automatically wins. A reasonable person can tell the difference between what's technically possible and what's actually plausible or likely.

No see the difference is that your theoretical possibility is entirely democratic, whereas the reality of the idiotic US system very much is not.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Orange Devil posted:

No see the difference is that your theoretical possibility is entirely democratic, whereas the reality of the idiotic US system very much is not.

Actually that dumb scenario already has contingencies in US law with quorum laws and the Electoral College so their point is actually pointless.

So, the scenario where Trump wins the election after losing by 25M votes or whatever is possible, while the "one person votes and their guy wins" is functionally and legally impossible at the federal level.

The reason these scenarios are relevant (and perhaps likely) is because foreign interference in the last election targeted the specific scenarios where Trump could win the election while losing the popular vote. With outside help, the Trump campaign was able to drill down to specific swing districts, to the single-home level, and come up with maps that allowed them to win the presidency while "losing" the election. Facebook helped a lot with this.

:turianass: Technically :turianass: Trump lost by 3 million votes, but he won the ~right~ (white) 40,000 votes in the specific 12 counties in the specific 4 swing states that allowed him to steal the office. And none of those counties were the ones pundits traditionally looked at. Putin Moneyballed the DNC.

Come up with better Strawmans. :shrug:

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1315628555611627520?s=19

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I'm glad John got his poop processing plant. He deserves it.

In other news, I'd completely forgotten that Trump was planning to ghost the WHO because this loving hell 2020 has been a million years long.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://twitter.com/WTOV9/status/1320527075502153729

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

RIP in piss

https://youtu.be/c5W06xR8EYk

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Eat poo poo In Hell Bob!

:10bux: says he'll be the end of intro reference with like Eatus Shitus or whatever

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://twitter.com/LastWeekTonight/status/1320440031400595456?s=19

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Eat poo poo In Hell Bob!

:10bux: says he'll be the end of intro reference with like Eatus Shitus or whatever
Maybe next week. Tonight’s episode was presumably finish a while ago.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Came to the thread to celebrate.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Eat poo poo, Bob.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
You people are monsters. Monsters.

A man has died.

I, for one, will proudly offer whoever out there loved this guy, and also his immortal soul, the most precious, meaningful thing I can spare.

Thoughts and prayers, Bob Murray--or, as I like to think of him, BM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Eat poo poo, Bob.