Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Alhazred posted:

The bit is silly, but at the same time it's kinda hosed up how America has an eugenic stonehenge.

yea it's not 'hard journalism' but tbh it was genuinely interesting to learn that bit of horrible history.

We fuckin love eugenics though yea, you can trace like half our early 20th century monuments/displays back to some dude who thought the Irish were polluting our gene pool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Yeah that felt like grasping at something that's barely there. Not seeing much eugenicy poo poo with those stones. Like improve reproductive fitness and diversity is supposed to be some code for make everyone white Aryan supermen or something?

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

banned from Starbucks posted:

Yeah that felt like grasping at something that's barely there. Not seeing much eugenicy poo poo with those stones. Like improve reproductive fitness and diversity is supposed to be some code for make everyone white Aryan supermen or something?

Did you skip the entire second half of the video or something?

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I mean lots of rich people believe stupid poo poo. I guess it would be a thing if he put it on the stones itself but what he did put is pretty like meh whatever

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I mean lots of rich people believe stupid poo poo. I guess it would be a thing if he put it on the stones itself but what he did put is pretty like meh whatever

It doesn't specify the means, but it isn't an unreasonable assumption that the guideline "Maintain humanity under 500,000,000 in perpetual balance with nature" would entail some sort of culling policy, even if it were limited to, erm, limiting reproduction. I guess doing it by lottery alone would not be eugenics per se, unless we believe in hereditary luck :shrug:

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

cant cook creole bream posted:

He claims that his other writers are away for those. Maybe he personally is just better than them.
He is a very good comedy writer. In his Bugle days, he and Andy Zaltzman would crank out 30+ minutes of mostly-scripted content every week. And he did this as a side gig while working on the Daily Show.

Andy is still doing it with a rotating cast of guest hosts, but none can match the old ones with John.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Guide reproduction wisely — improving fitness and diversity.

That's pretty much eugenic summed up.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Inferior Third Season posted:

He is a very good comedy writer. In his Bugle days, he and Andy Zaltzman would crank out 30+ minutes of mostly-scripted content every week. And he did this as a side gig while working on the Daily Show.

Andy is still doing it with a rotating cast of guest hosts, but none can match the old ones with John.

It's a joke, these are taped on nights they're doing shows.

Like there are camera operators, graphics audio director et al, so it's not John sneaking into the studio and letting a bunch of people in.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
The statue which was featured in the last segment of this week's episode was only a short stroll from my house but I never got to see it before it was removed. :(

If they take up John's offer and replace it with his statue I'll go take a photo of it for the thread. :v:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

That was a grim episode. To me armed cops in a place of education is one of the signs that your society has gone dystopian. In Norway it was a scandal when one cop who visited the school to hold a lecture about drugs forgot to leave her gun in the car.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Bit of a weird topic WRT Uvalde when there was the much more pertinent issue of the actual cops at the school doing jack poo poo and possibly even shooting a child, which wasn't even mentioned. But I guess it was a big topic in the news that people wanted more RSOs?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

E:nm

Alhazred fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jun 7, 2022

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Alhazred posted:

That was a grim episode. To me armed cops in a place of education is one of the signs that your society has gone dystopian. In Norway it was a scandal when one cop who visited the school to hold a lecture about drugs forgot to leave her gun in the car.

I was born in 1984 (heh) and have literally never been to a school without multiple armed police with body armor.

Hakkesshu posted:

Bit of a weird topic WRT Uvalde when there was the much more pertinent issue of the actual cops at the school doing jack poo poo and possibly even shooting a child, which wasn't even mentioned. But I guess it was a big topic in the news that people wanted more RSOs?

There are few facts other than the knowledge that UPD has lied as many times as they’ve spoken. LWT always deals with more long-form, rather than breaking, journalism.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Hakkesshu posted:

They don’t really like to make claims they can’t back up.

There’s so much confusion and misinformation from the cops on this topic that the show may be waiting till that shakes down to go ham.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

They don’t really like to make claims they can’t back up.

There’s so much confusion and misinformation from the cops on this topic that the show may be waiting till that shakes down to go ham.

I assumed it was this, as well.

It’s a pretty dark irony that this comedy infotainment show has more journalistic rigor than a lot of literal journalists. But I assume they’d be reluctant to comment on those kinds of details without rock solid evidence to cite first, just to avoid the shitstorm of a retraction.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Hakkesshu posted:

They aren't going to actually criticize the cops. That's a bridge to far for this type of show.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

1glitch0 posted:

They aren't going to actually criticize the cops. That's a bridge to far for this type of show.

Hard disagree.

They explicitly criticize specific cops and general police departments all of the time.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Hard disagree.

They explicitly criticize specific cops and general police departments all of the time.

This. And they've been doing so for pretty much the entire run of the show.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

This show’s main stories rarely break down incidents and tends to focus more on issues. Uvalde wasn’t an issue, it was an incident. Cops in schools is an issue, one that both has a very easy reference point to start at with Uvalde but also one that has been an issue for a while.

Spending 20 minutes listing out all that the cops did wrong here wouldn’t really be useful because

A: so many people are already doing it
B: details are still very much in flux
C: there’s really no policy solution to “these cops didn’t do poo poo” after the fact aside from firing them (ideally out of a cannon and into the sun) unless you start talking about more systemic problems with cops (like, for example, how cops in schools are less than worthless)

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Hard disagree.

They criticize systems and policies. They criticize people doing PR for the systems and policies. They would never go after how a ton of individual cops are nazis or abusive fucks.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wf4cea5oObY

I'm a bit confused. So this part where he explains how cops are deeply entwined with white supremacists, or the part where he calls out by name the guy teaching cops to kill, or the part where he opens with videos of police brutality, none of those count?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Kyte posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wf4cea5oObY

I'm a bit confused. So this part where he explains how cops are deeply entwined with white supremacists, or the part where he calls out by name the guy teaching cops to kill, or the part where he opens with videos of police brutality, none of those count?

I mean, I'm sure this sounds shitposty but no unless the conclusion is 'and that's why we have a judicial, political, and general moral obligation to completely dismantle the american system of policing and replace it with a better one and no amount of political cowardice will change that' then he's coming up pretty short of the actual takeaway to all that. Like, yea, he criticizes that specific guy's class but doesn't seem interested in explaining why that class even exists at all

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

sexpig by night posted:

I mean, I'm sure this sounds shitposty but no unless the conclusion is 'and that's why we have a judicial, political, and general moral obligation to completely dismantle the american system of policing and replace it with a better one and no amount of political cowardice will change that' then he's coming up pretty short of the actual takeaway to all that. Like, yea, he criticizes that specific guy's class but doesn't seem interested in explaining why that class even exists at all

I feel like you’re watching an entirely different show.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

I feel like you’re watching an entirely different show.

Agreed. I can see the argument that LWT skews left-centrist on some topics, maybe. But his coverage of policing has never struck me that way. The entire apparatus is rotten to the core, and I've never felt like John Oliver's point was anything less than pure condemnation of it.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
He didn't shoot a cop live on TV, ergo he is just a lovely centrist :colbert:

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
There was a real noticeable lack of them making their own video mocking the video of the creepy guy with the mystery item in the back of his truck telling washington to keep out of his business, probably with Christopher Walken.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I thought that too but I guess it's a gimmick they want to use sparingly. The segment was good enough on its own.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Theyre a few miles past using the gimmick sparingly.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Did John Oliver discover Dakota Fanning's lime joke just now?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

loving hell that lawyer was an absolute rotten piece of poo poo rear end in a top hat. gently caress him.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Alhazred posted:

First I'd heard of it and it made me respect her a tiny bit more

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Stare-Out posted:

loving hell that lawyer was an absolute rotten piece of poo poo rear end in a top hat. gently caress him.

I seems like there could have been a lot more hay made out of the fact that his entire job was acting for other people who couldn't be bothered to know every legal repercussion of the contracts they signed.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Alhazred posted:

Johnson, not Fanning

One has a famous sister the other has a famous mom

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Web exclusive

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RxqNv6bEug

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Someone really wanted a cursed sex doll I guess.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
Well, update on the Georgia Guidestones story....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYAaQ8u1Wiw

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I hope someone interviews that dude who went there a few times a week. Or maybe he did it.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I don't remember what those are or when they were talked about. Anybody care to enlighten me?

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
It was an absolutely wild web exclusive about rocks. Specific rocks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
The candidate in that episode received 3.4% of the vote in the primary and is insisting that she actually won.