Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
I'm a firm believer that, in some cases, the death penalty is called for. However, and more importantly, no justice system on Earth is currently capable of correctly determining when to apply it, and therefore, for all practical purposes, the death penalty shouldn't exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

TheCenturion posted:

I'm a firm believer that, in some cases, the death penalty is called for. However, and more importantly, no justice system on Earth is currently capable of correctly determining when to apply it, and therefore, for all practical purposes, the death penalty shouldn't exist.

Counterpoint: The state should not be allowed to decide that someone deserves to die.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Alhazred posted:

Counterpoint: The state should not be allowed to decide that someone deserves to die.

That doesn't seem like a counterpoint at all.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Phenotype posted:

That doesn't seem like a counterpoint at all.

His post said that he was a firm believer in the death penalty.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Do you deserve death if you shoot up a school full or 3rd graders?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

banned from Starbucks posted:

Probably, but the death penalty isn't about the criminal, it's about the society.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

thats a very feel good answer that doesnt really solve anything

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

I'm of the general belief that a prison system should focus on being rehabilitative rather than punitive so the death penalty is on some realm of beyond "hosed up" for me. Especially since people might be innocent. At the same time though, this just ends up in a depressing cycle of "Oh poo poo, our prison system is really loving broken" into "Oh poo poo, our mental health system is even more hosed up" and so on. It is extremely depressing that when you tug onto any lovely thread of society, you start to see how it got there and how connected it is to all other lovely threads of society.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Killing someone for doing a bad thing also does not solve anything. If we keep them alive there is possibly something to be learned about why these people do what they do - though that would also require that there was actually a governmental interest in criminal prevention and rehabilitation instead of just incarceration.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Alhazred posted:

His post said that he was a firm believer in the death penalty.

Did you read the second sentence of that post? The one that says, essentially, that the state should not be allowed to decide whether someone deserves to die?

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

What does the death penalty "solve" you dingus

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Except, in addition to your lack of empathy, you also don't care about quantifiable measures, such as:
  • Death Row is more expensive than life in prison
  • The death penalty does not act as a deterrent to crime
  • The death penalty has no measurable effect on recidivism
  • The death penalty is disproportionately applied to minorities, especially black men
  • The death penalty is disproportionately applied based on arbitrary geographic boundaries
  • A measurable percentage of those on death row have been found innocent by new or reexamined evidence
  • You shouldn't gently caress your mom

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

And this is why rational arguments will never work w/r/t the death penalty...

:nallears:

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Alhazred posted:

Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying. It's quite clear in the text you quoted.

TheCenturion fucked around with this message at 15:14 on May 9, 2019

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The big problem is that the death penalty is just one of many ways our justice system really sucks. It's focused more on punishment than rehabilitation and a huge number of people get falsely convicted. Even before conviction, there's the fact that real lawyers are expensive and public attorneys are a poo poo show. Before that there's the fact that bail sucks as an institution. Before that there's the fact that there's a lot of bad police out there will just harass people for no good reason, or even just use excessive force up to and including on the spot executions, and it all goes full circle.

Maybe, but seeing as how most of these mass shootings either end with getting shot down by cops or just shooting themselves, it seems like they want to die anyways, and I'd rather not oblige somebody that deranged.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

SlothfulCobra posted:

The big problem is that the death penalty is just one of many ways our justice system really sucks. It's focused more on punishment than rehabilitation and a huge number of people get falsely convicted. Even before conviction, there's the fact that real lawyers are expensive and public attorneys are a poo poo show. Before that there's the fact that bail sucks as an institution. Before that there's the fact that there's a lot of bad police out there will just harass people for no good reason, or even just use excessive force up to and including on the spot executions, and it all goes full circle.

And then add to that the facts that many prisons are privatised and are putting pressure on the state to supply more inmates in order to maximise their profits, plus most state attorneys campaign on being tough on crime and push as hard as they can for the maximum sentences possible in as many cases as they can .....

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Anders Breivik is still alive and somehow there have been no mass shootings in Norway since him.

Almost like mass shootings are a systemic problem that have nothing to do with how a society chooses to punish its murderers.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

And then add to that the facts that many prisons are privatised and are putting pressure on the state to supply more inmates in order to maximise their profits, plus most state attorneys campaign on being tough on crime and push as hard as they can for the maximum sentences possible in as many cases as they can .....

Yeah the US has a lot of really perverse incentives to increase the incarceration rate that have nothing to do with how much crime is actually happening. Fun fact: the 13th amendment specifically still allows for slavery as punishment for a crime.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 00:04 on May 10, 2019

Rugikiki
Jan 15, 2008

Illinois Nazis.
I hate Illinois Nazis!

Safety glasses off, motherfuckers!

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Angry Bill Nye was very good.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Last Week Tonight: Cows don't fart, they belch

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Azhais posted:

Last Week Tonight: Cows don't fart, they belch

I'm for it

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Last Week Tonight: safety glasses on, motherfuckers

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I can't hear John Oliver talking about the Green New Deal without remembering Andy Zaltzman's joke about FDR getting a stripper for his bucket of lobsters.

Also while Georgia has tried its hardest to be king poo poo of awful abortion bills, many states are trying to pull this poo poo all at once. Alabama's case where they violated procedure to sneak things through really stood out to me.

https://twitter.com/AlabamaPolitics/status/1126546567735980033

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

SlothfulCobra posted:

I can't hear John Oliver talking about the Green New Deal without remembering Andy Zaltzman's joke about FDR getting a stripper for his bucket of lobsters.

Also while Georgia has tried its hardest to be king poo poo of awful abortion bills, many states are trying to pull this poo poo all at once. Alabama's case where they violated procedure to sneak things through really stood out to me.

https://twitter.com/AlabamaPolitics/status/1126546567735980033

The thing I've seen is that basically all this poo poo is deliberately intended to get challenged in court. They know it's all blatantly unconstitutional. They're hitting a bunch of states at once so that the odds are better that one of them will escalate to the supreme court and they can finally overturn Roe v Wade.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
If the popular vote had been followed in the last five elections the SCOTUS would be 7-2 liberal-conservative. :smithicide:

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

If the popular vote had been followed in the last five elections the SCOTUS would be 7-2 liberal-conservative. :smithicide:

You don't live in a democracy.

Republican SCOTUS stole a presidential election.

Republican Congress stole SCOTUS.

The Senate is total horseshit.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Orange Devil posted:

The Senate is total horseshit.

Oh you haven't seen nothing yet.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Milo and POTUS posted:

Oh you haven't seen nothing yet.

Seriously. If you think it's this bad now just wait until 30% of states control 60% of senate votes.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Skippy McPants posted:

Seriously. If you think it's this bad now just wait until 30% of states control 60% of senate votes.

:psyduck: how is that mathematically possible

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Sorry, I meant 30% of the population.

Within the next few decades, up to 70% of the population will live in only ten states, but those state will have the same number of Senate votes as they do now: twenty. The remaining 30% of the population will live in the remaining 40 states also with the exact number of Senate votes as they've got now: eighty.

It will be a shitshow.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Also conspicuously absent are the "new deal" parts of the Green New Deal.

Which I get it, the Earth is important and it can only be protected with real administrative action, while social good and challenging the aristocracy of the rich is all radical and scary, but there's a reason why it was in there. Can't stand up to corporate pillaging without standing up to corporations.

Inequality of representation is also a huge problem, but most politicians in most governmental bodies will absolutely refuse to mess with the system that got them into power in the misguided belief that everything will work out for the better forevermore. That and the whole calculus where they'd rather go a thousand miles to the right than a foot to the left.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

https://twitter.com/omaze/status/1128812303871176704?s=21

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

What the gently caress, America?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Another of those episodes about a problem I didn't know much about, but makes a lot of sense from what I already knew.

What I did know beforehand, and what I'm surprised John Oliver didn't mention, is that in some places coroner is an elected office, which compounds the problem. I would've liked it if he went over what other countries do for coroner as well.

Edit: Whelp I'm dumb

SlothfulCobra fucked around with this message at 19:06 on May 20, 2019

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
But... He talked about elections for coroner? The whole thing where they can run as long as they're over 18 and not a felon?

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
"Look to your left, then look to your right. Both of them can be elected as and are in fact Arkansas coroners!"

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
When talking about this scandal, one thing that I'm surprised he didn't bring up at all about it is the question of what will happen to Glenn Close's spleen when she dies, and if it will be eaten by a dog

e: gently caress

One Nut Wonder
Mar 17, 2009
I think I might be imagining this, but was John a little more hyper than usual? He seemed all coked-up. He talked faster than normal, and was just overall weird. And this is not coming out of nowhere, I have family members that did coke, and yeah...seems pretty similar.

The only thing I don't understand is why he acted like a coked-up movie star. Stress? Something else? The Russians? It just seems really, really abnormal to me.

Just a thought. Maybe I'm crazy.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Why does America have to elect everyone and everything? That's not a sane way of living

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
There's no way to verify if you're right (coke), no one involved would ever admit it's going on or much less is a problem. Same goes for lots of TV personalities that seemingly are coked up. It's probably a coping mechanism for nervousness

e: Or depression from the constant need to live up to what he does on a schedule. Hope he never burns out on us.

Happy Thread fucked around with this message at 07:50 on May 23, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Jim Jeffries talks about doing coke all the time lol