Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

EL BROMANCE posted:

Trump meaning fart is a British thing at the least. Before 2016 if you asked a Brit what ‘to trump’ meant, they’d most likely say fart. It’s a shame it never really came across the seas.

I've literally never heard anyone refer to a fart as "a trump". "A trumpet"? Sure. I've never heard anyone refer to it as a trump though. Calling a fart a trumpet makes far more sense than calling it a trump too, given a trumpet is a musical instrument and often associated with bad puffing sounds, where a trump as another person pointed out is mostly associated with cards and has been with centuries.

tsob fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Apr 7, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Dumb Lowtax posted:

How much did you hear about Kamala Harris's campaign right when she announced? Biden's? Now can you remember which day it was exactly that Bernie announced?

How much have you heard about anyone's campaign past that they announced they were going to run? The election isn't for roughly another 2 years; there's not going to be a lot of news coverage nationally going on for a while yet for anyone, because it's just not a sustainable interest for most people regardless of candidate.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I've only ever watched the "Patriot Act" videos uploaded to YouTube; is there much extra content in the full episodes on Netflix out of interest? Is it like "Last Week Tonight", where it's just some short news of the week highlights, while the main section goes to YouTube?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Prawn cocktail crisps are delicious, and I just bought a pack of them today when I was doing the shopping because John reminded me of them. There are some weird but scrumptious crisps in the UK and Ireland: Worcestershire sauce being another odd, but lovely one. The nicest crisps I've ever tasted though, were Walkers Sensations roast chicken & thyme. Which really doesn't sound like it should work as a crisp, but drat they were loving tasty.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Are they actually prawn flavored or are they like crab chips where they’re just seasoned the same.

Prawn cocktail is a sauce apparently. I've never tried it, and wasn't even sure it existed until I Googled it a few minutes ago, but I assume the crisp is flavored after it rather than the other way around, because the crisps certainly aren't actually prawn flavored.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I feel like a bit of an outside case, because I actually quite like unimportant (at least in the general sense) push notifications. I have them left on for my podcast app for instance, since it informs me when there's new episodes out for stuff I actively listen to each week. That's important to me though, so there is that distinction. On the other other hand, I have them enabled in YouTube as well and get a dozen or more push notifications throughout the day. I barely pay attention to them, and don't check my phone obsessively for them or anything; I just like that there'll be something I'm interested in popping up as worth while checking out if I have a few minutes here or there. Then again, I also have essentially never curated my general email account and there are over 10,000+ unread emails there. Which doesn't bother my rear end none, because anything important is going to be near the top anyway, I can favorite/star anything actually important and search exists if I want to find something older than a few weeks.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
They won't just be trying to rip it apart in the US, they'll spread influence out to rip it apart everywhere else. The US hates the idea of anyone meddling in their politics, but they're quite happy to completely gently caress with everyone else's politics to make them identical to the US (or rather, their notion of what the US should be, because :911: :911: :911: "Manifest Destiny" :911: :911: :911: and all that). John already did at least one piece on the NRA trying to gently caress with gun laws in other countries, but the anti-abortion stuff is also a major scene the US Republican interests are trying to influence overseas too and there are probably at least a few others.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

SlothfulCobra posted:

I was under the impression that every country had its own native brand of shitheads.

Oh they definitely do, but the main role America plays is not so much finding or creating those shitheads, but organizing and funding them so they operate along similar lines.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Milo and POTUS posted:

The world is listing hard to the extreme right and it's just going to get worse as climate catastrophes ramp up

It's kind of depressing that within 6 months of the abortion referendum passing in Ireland, there was a new political party started with "right to life" as one of their core tenets. They got no traction in the recent election, where a left-wing party got a comparable vote share to the two conservative middle-right groups that have had a monopoly in the country since it's inception a century ago, but that was at least partially because those two parties have so roundly ignored the current housing crisis and everyone is sick of them because of it. Ireland has so far avoided the same push towards right-wing extremism for some reason and Irish nationalism is generally more preoccupied with North/South integration due to historical reasons, which tends to eclipse any of the other issues nationalism focuses on in other places, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if within a decade or two when the issues occupying people's minds have settled a bit, Ireland starts to slide towards right wing extremism too. Racist assholes are starting to shout conspiracy theories about race genocide and poo poo here too for one; even if, again, they're a minor element no-one of note is paying mind to at the moment. I suppose the best I can hope is that it happens when every other country of note is starting to get sick of it again, and moving back to the center/left.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Kamrat posted:

Never thought most of the jokes on Last Week was very good but without an audience it's even worse

Yea, it felt really stilted and awkward any time he made a joke, gave a half second beat to let it land and then continued on as before. It works with an audience, because he can bounce off their energy and if a joke makes them laugh, he can react to it and maybe improv a tiny bit based on that reaction. Here, it's just nothing.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Crusty Nutsack posted:

The whole telling Geraldo to kill himself bit made me uncomfortable. he's a piece of poo poo, of course, but making one of those goes-on-too-long jokes about urging a person to die was a little much. maybe the messed up format exaggerated it.

It is physically impossible to kill yourself by voluntarily cutting off your air supply using your own body, whether by holding your breath, choking yourself with your hands etc. You'll just pass out, and then stop doing whatever it was that was inhibiting your ability to breathe, before starting to breathe as normal again. All he was encouraging Geraldo to do was pass out. I'm not sure if that was the intent of course, but given Oliver's general disposition, I'd prefer to believe it was.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I don't know much about American politics, but is there a reason he wouldn't just ask Biden to be his VP, so he can pick up most of Bernie's supporters and at least claim to be considerate of them even if he has no intention of letting Bernie do much while Bernie can try and influence him if he accepts? A reason beyond lack of desire, I guess. Since it seems like the best way to unite both sides and ensure they have the maximum chances going in to the presidential race.

tsob fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Apr 19, 2020

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Orange Devil posted:

Neither is a written rule with no clear enforcement mechanism.

Yea, if Trump's term has taught me anything as someone not living in the US, it's that the various other bodies of the US government have almost no real power if the president wants to just straight up ignore them. The House of Representatives have "compelled" Trump and various people who served under him do to things numerous times, and none of it has meant poo poo because Trump just doesn't care, and so long as some portion of the public is on his side, he doesn't have to care and it doesn't matter, because the House can't do squat to actually enforce their decisions.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Well, they can, they just don't want to. With Trump the problem is that the Senate is the governing body that actually has the power to remove the president, and they have absolutely no interest in doing so because as far as they're concerned he's doing just fine. So the house can make demands, but without the senate to back them up those demands are meaningless.

"They can, so long as this other government body does it for them or at least supports them" is not the same as "they can". If the House needs to Senate to actually do anything, then the House is pretty toothless. I'm not even just talking about removing Trump, I'm talking about times they have compelled people to testify and Trump has just gone "executive privilege" or something, and they have refused to testify with no notable repercussions. poo poo, even the fact they impeached Trump ultimately means nothing. It's just stapling a bad word next to his name in the history books essentially.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

SlothfulCobra posted:

Not really a surprise why people would keep their masks on while being filmed getting arrested. Also I sure wish that people would stop telling me about that show about people jacking off and losing money.

I only saw the segment on YouTube, but what the hell are these sentences about?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

pwn posted:

Do you want to sleep in a cutesified shed?

Me? No. Some people appear to want to though, and to be willingly and unnecessarily trading larger houses for smaller ones because they think it has some benefits (be they mental, physical, environmental, logistical, whatever). I don't know who started the Tiny Housing trend, but it does appear to have gained some social traction due to people adopting it as a solution to their life being overly complicated and cluttered, similar to minimalism, and not because it's a cheap way to fob off the homeless. Which it doesn't seem to be getting used as a solution for much anyway, if only because most people would prefer to ignore that issue entirely than to enact even cheap and humiliating solutions.

Putting a tiny house next to large, "normal" one wouldn't engender dignity, but putting a cluster of them together in their own area (i.e.with some division from other spaces), even if it's close to larger ones, probably wouldn't inherently foster indignity either.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

WampaLord posted:

The silver bullet is "decommidify housing" but sadly it's far too radical an idea for your average American, especially the homeowners.

It's definitely too radical for me, because I literally have no idea what would even mean. I would assume it means something like "a house no longer has a value", but then, how do you even convince people to build and maintain them en masse, if doing so doesn't have any economic return?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

pwn posted:

Because we like to live in houses?

What has that got to do with working in a construction company that builds thousands of houses for others, with no tangible return of any kind? You might build your own house, because you want some place to live, but why would you build houses for someone else without some kind of incentive? You might say that charity is or at least should be incentive enough, but building a house is a major commitment that requires a lot of resources, and is bigger than any one person's charity (well, anyone who isn't a millionaire), even putting aside that the time that would be required to build a good house is something that person could be using to do something else that does directly and tangibly benefit them and/or their family, and is only really feasible for people who are already comfortably well off.

Alhazred posted:

I mean, that's basically what renting is and people are willing to do that.

This is a pretty disingenuous post. Even if someone ends up paying $200k in rent, they do so over decades to benefit themselves and their families, not in the space of a few weeks/months/years to benefit others. Rental payments are a lot more analogous to mortgage payments i.e. payments to own a property, than payments to build a property.

tsob fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jul 6, 2020

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Orange Devil posted:

Here's the return and the incentive: "you get to live in society and have all your other needs taking care of". In exchange you perform useful labour to take care of the needs of others. This stuff is very simple.

That's not decommodifying housing; that's reforming society and the economy entirely, housing included. Which isn't what someone suggested, and I asked about.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Why do people build roads they won't own?

Money, because the road is a commodity. The government earns money from road users, then uses that to build or maintain new roads, which is done by various contractors who all earn money for those jobs. If a house isn't a commodity, then there's no money involved, so that whole system goes out the window; at least as I understand it. Which is why I asked for clarification on what the original poster meant. If the process still involves money in some form, then it probably isn't that radical frankly.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Long explanation

A few days late, but thank you for clarifying that for me. It, and the video piL posted make for interesting material to muse over.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
The short clip of the American exceptionalism guy intrigues me. Obviously no-one here can precisely speak for the guy, but I do wonder if it's that he just thinks everywhere else outside America is some third world country where every day consists of 10 mile treks for water before sleeping in a bed of cowshit, if he just thinks "freedom" as he/America defines it is so unique to America that people must be miserable even if they live broadly similar lives to his own, if the handful of notable social and cultural differences between America and any other first world country make life so much better that even days with natural disasters in America are still better than a day in [insert other country] where, I don't know, it's nice and sunny and you won the lotto or something or if it really just comes down to something simplistic like "no guns = no freedom"?.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

webmeister posted:

I admire your optimism. I mean, he's already "joking" about "12 more years". And the next cult leader is already right there in front of us (he doesn't even have a different name).

The next cult leader is Ivanka, not Jr. I'm pretty sure she's even mentioned wanting to be the first female president in the past.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

He looks great with that beard tbf

Yeah, David Mitchell looks far better now than he did 20 years ago or whenever that picture is from. The beard really suits him, but even before he grew a beard he just looked a lot better with a bit of age on him.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Liam Hemsworth, Donald Glover, Henry Cavill, Mila Kunis, Adam Driver and Emily Blunt are showing up for my year of birth (1983). Which would be pretty depressing, if I didn't mollify myself by rationalizing that it's relatively easy to look good when you have essentially infinite money to throw at the task, and an army of people who are employed by both themselves and studios to ensure they look that good using make up, fitted suits that cost thousands of dollars apiece etc. for awards shows, in films etc. Edward Snowden is also in that list, and he seems far more indicative, since he's not going to have those advantages. He still looks better than me, but it's mostly the fact he's not somewhat pudgy, and wears decent suits in most shots you see of him rather than a cheap t-shirt and some jeans or shorts.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

webmeister posted:

It'll be a 30 minute version of this: https://vlipsy.com/vlip/john-oliver-we-got-him-lLG7suQs

Extravagant enough to make the gently caress Bob Murray song look like Cats

I doubt it, because they haven't actually gotten him and Trump will spend at least the next few weeks loudly contesting the result while presumably trying to do as much damage as possible for Biden to inherit as well as set up protections for himself post presidency. He'll also probably spend the next few years holding rallies to soothe his ego and keep his followers in a frothing rage over having the election stolen from them illegally by criminals, and I would not be at all surprised if he runs again as the Republican candidate in 2024, because his defeat in 2020 does not mean he's gone forever. A regular stream of rallies bitching at every perceived mistake, and lots of made up ones, will mean he has a pretty fervent base going in to the next election too. The only thing that might stop him is that after losing presidential protections all his past misdeeds may catch up to him in court cases, and this could potentially cost him at least some of his support. Even if he's jailed by 2024 though, Ivanka, Don Jr or someone else in his mould will probably just run instead and use the idea of him being setup by the Deep State to rob the working man as the means to inherit his base.

Trump is gone, but not dead by any stretch and America will probably be dealing with him or his successors in some fashion for years to come.

tsob fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Nov 8, 2020

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Yeah, I'm not really sure what else you think he can be building towards. Anything else would feel like actual celebration of someone's death, which is quite a dark thing and doesn't really seem like something John would be prone to doing.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

SlothfulCobra posted:

I'm disappointed that John didn't also mention how there were purposeful tactics used to delay the count and make the election seem more ambiguous than it was by not allowing early and mail-in votes to be counted in advance, and that he didn't mention the fact that despite the historic turnout, that is still filtered through a ton of active voter suppression, so "who we are" as a country is still carefully cultivated and contained.

Would it matter? The fact the distribution of percentages is being weighted to some degree and isn't an entirely accurate reflection doesn't change that a significant percentage of America still is the thing Biden says it isn't. If 20 million more votes were turned out for Biden and against Trump, it wouldn't change that Trump still got 70 million. It wouldn't even change when considering that not all of that 70 million will have voted for him because of those things, and a lot of it will just be genuine anger at a feeling of being left behind by the establishment despite the fact Trump isn't realistically doing anything more to help them (and is in fact hurting them more really). It would only matter if the voter suppression could massively negate a lot of those 70 million votes and turn it up so those votes never actually happened. Which would, ironically, vindicate a lot of Trump's whining.

tsob fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Nov 9, 2020

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

But good job on the Return of the Jedi Jub Jub party in the streets, everyone! We Got Him! :jerkbag:

Yeah, how dare people celebrate something they're passionate about in the most basic manner while still observing at least some modicum of safety after months of self restraint. You'd swear they were human or something, giving in to their nature like that.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Simone Magus posted:

Some pringles flavors actually are really good, but most of them really suck

Like the Thai sweet chili ones? Mint. The blueberry and hazelnut flavor is incredible

They're just also obsessed with making tons of crap flavors

I don't think you can arrive at a flavour like blueberry and hazelnut without a lot of experimentation, so the two are pretty much inherently linked.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Almost every clock I have or see automatically adjusts based on an internet connection, so I don't know or care about daylight savings anymore. It can stay if it wants, but I wouldn't even notice if someone didn't say something to me at this point.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

ClydeFrog posted:

However, this is a very UK centric view and we remain a very racist country. Intersectionality here might even be worse because we're so loving hung up on class as well in a way that doesn't seem as pervasive in America.

It could be worse; Ireland is right next door, and I genuinely don't even know what to make of race in Ireland. I vaguely recall only ever seeing one Black person in my hometown growing up, who was a teenager when I was still quite young and I only ever saw occasionally while walking to school. The locality had a population of about 10,000 people from what I can see on a quick Google and he was the one non-White person I can remember ever seeing. I don't know if that one kid was adopted, or if he had Black parents I just never saw around town but so far as I know that one guy was it. The place was homogenous enough that I recall one Asian person giving a talk at local schools about once a year when I was growing to tell us about Asian culture for a short while. I don't even know what country he talked about, since it was when I was 6 or 7; I just remember chopsticks being given out and finding them really difficult to use in the few minutes we had them since I never used them outside those talks growing up.

Ireland's geography as a small island with bad weather and a dogshit economy until about 40 years ago after joining the European Union meant the island just wasn't an attractive prospect for immigrants in general I suppose, and it's only in the last few decades that there's been any real influx of people from outside the country but it's still really homogenous in general. I basically never experienced other races or cultures outside TV, books etc. until I moved out of my hometown when I was 19. There is a small number of Black or Asian people in cities, but it's still only a couple of percent of the population overall. I took a look at the latest census data from 2016 a few weeks ago, and even then the number of people who identify as Black in one form or another has actually shrunk a little over the last census. The number of Asian identifying people has grown a bit though, at least. I think that might be due to educational links, since I know the college I'm studying at (as a mature student of nearly 40 to be clear; since my childhoold would have quite a few years ago at this point) currently has some links with colleges in China for instance, and there are a fair few Chinese students at the campus because of it.

Still, I commute to the college (or did, pre-pandemic), which is about an hour's bus journey each morning and even now my hometown is almost completely White. It's not quite as homogenous as it was when I was growing up, but it's certainly not a picture of multiculturalism or anything. Prejudice in Ireland (the Republic at least) is more focused on nationality or living status than on race, from what I can see. I'm sure racism does exist and have certainly heard about occasional instances of it, but the non-White population is so small that it's not as noticable or prevalent. I remember a few years ago when I first applied to be a mature student that the forms I filled in had a term I'd never seen before: African-Irish. A term that makes complete sense as something that must exist, but which I'd never actually come across before. A term I still have to check in my head to ensure I have the order right by checking it against how "African-American" is ordered (i.e. Afirca then America; not the other way around), because I've come across it so rarely.

When immigrants did start moving into Ireland a lot of them were Eastern Europe migrants, particularly Polish when I was growing up and I can remember a lot of casual dismissiveness from those around me towards them, for taking jobs etc. It's not really something I've noticed as much these days, probably because it's just become accepted and mundane, but I know that incoming migrants still receive some awful conditions from the government. They're basically put up in public housing facilities (house being a misleading name perhaps), where they live communily and are closer to inmates than citizens. Which can last for years as their application is processed. A system the government deliberately uses to discourage migration, and which the UN has condemned several times over the years to no avail.

The bigger problem in the Republic, and it's a bit of a problem from what I gather in Britain too, is travellers. Who large portions of the population are casually prejudiced towards with no shame. I certainly remember stigma around the few kids who were travellers in school when I was growing up. They have to live on segregated areas on the outskirts of towns, which are often underfunded and not given proper amenities among other issues. One of the candidates for president of Ireland in the last race used almost Trumpian diatribe towards the traveller community and got a bump in support because of it; though he was a minor enough candidate that it still didn't amount to much. The role is also entirely ceremonial, and has almost no actual power. It's basically the head diplomat. So it wouldn't have been as terrible if he'd gotten elected, regardless.

I know race is an issue kind of bubbling under the surface of Ireland, but the attitudes towards immigrants in general and travellers are much more visible. It'd be nice to think that because that racism is basically invisible that it doesn't exist, or that it's not really an issue in Ireland and that by the time non-White communities in the country grow to a notable proportion of the population, especially outside cities, that people would accept them and move on or something, but it's probably just another issue waiting to boil to the surface. Which will probably happen in a way that shocks the majority of people as if it was completely out of left-field, like Windrush in the UK or something.

tsob fucked around with this message at 12:15 on May 14, 2021

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
The fact race is such a non-factor in Irish life in general, at least outside major cities, makes me somewhat self-conscious about race because it's such a major issue on the news and even in the majority of media that I consume given that most of that media is made for and by Americans or British people. I've only ever worked with one Black person for instance, and that was only for 1 week while I was doing work experience a few years back. The guy implied that he had experienced some racism in Ireland over the years, and that the reason he was so comfortable with jokes about his treatment by others based on race by another guy working there was because that one guy had known him for years at that point, and knew some of what he'd gone through. Which I found out after making a similar joke (something along the lines of "at least they didn't mention you were Black") to try and fit in with them, and the guy making it clear that while he understood what I was doing, that he didn't like me saying something like that because I didn't really know him. Which is perfectly fair, and while it was something I was happy to learn, I do wish I could take back because it was a dick move to put the guy in that position.

It does make me wonder though, not so much "am I racist" since that's more of a superficial and conscious bias and seems like something you'd be more capable of recognizing, so much as "what subconscious biases do I have and just not recognize", and whether those bias' are affecting how I treat people from other backgrounds when I do interact with them. Or what is and isn't a racist act or thought. I remember when I first moved into a bigger city I did some courses in a state funded program and there were a couple of Nigerian immigrants in the class I was doing. I hung out a good bit with one of them, but noticed pretty quickly that there was a particular smell about him. Not even a bad smell, or anything; just notable. And noticing that smell alone made me feel weird, because should I have? Was I just noticing it because of his race?

I'd assume now in retrospect that he noticed a particular smell around me or most other Irish people too, because he had been raised in a completely different environment and presumably had a completely different diet. Since your body tends to take on a slight odor of your diet, that's noticable to others with a different diet since you sweat bits of it out and what not. I read up on it a bit at some point, and I vaguely recall reading that most Europeans and Americans smell of slightly rancid milk, because they consume so many dairy based products in general while Asians nations tend towards a more fishy smell since diary isn't as much of a part of the diet but fish is a bigger part of it. It's mostly just a factor of diet and maybe environment, and any culture or nation that has a sufficiently different diet or environment will just have a notably different smell to others outside that group. People inside that group just never notice it though, since it's omnipresent.

Again though, because race just isn't a major fact of smaller towns in Ireland I end up wondering whether I am racist and just don't know it because I don't interact much with people of other races or cultures, or whether I'm harboring some racist thoughts or indugling in racist acts and just not recognizing it because there's no-one of another race or culture around the majority of the time to see it any different. This post and the last one have taken me about a half hour or more to write apiece, with constant tiny edits to wording because I'm just woried that I'm writing something that will generally make me look racist or at least ignorant. Which I hope there isn't, but still makes me feel exposed regardless. There's no Irish version of John Oliver to pin-point issues in the country, much as it would be nice, but there is a podcast I listen to regularly called The Irish Podcast, hosted by one journalist and one history major who tend to go pretty in depth on history, politics, cultural issues etc. and even there race hasn't come up much because it's just not a major issue (yet) in Ireland. It did highlight a book I want to buy at some point with some relevance to the topic though, called "Don't Touch My Hair", by Emma Dabiri; who grew up in Ireland of Nigerian parents. She was interviewed on the Podcast at one point a while back too, though it wasn't about the book or anything. I'll probably buy the audiobook on Audible soon, since I have a monthy account there and it should be giving me a new credit in the next week or two.

At which point, it's may be worth me pointing that I genuinely didn't even know there was any textural difference in White people and Black people's hair until I watched this episode. I probably did see shows where people said it or something over the years, but anything that noted it would just have slipped by me as a minor line that never stuck with me, rather than highlighting a notable difference. So as obvious as it may seem to some posters, or as insulting as it probably feels like to need explanation to guys like Vanderdeath or Veskit who've lived with such ignorance, it's genuinely new and useful information to people like me; even if I may not be the ideal audience member as a non-American.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

While I'd prefer they stay without a audience it does change some dynamics in the show with and without one.

With a audience, getting a mascot is silly and amusing.

Without a audience, a man is hiring a person to stand around in a fursuit with him in a empty room while he stares at a camera.

He probably wouldn't hire that guy to stand in a room with him wearing a fursuit during a lockdown anyway, and would probably have paid to have the guy pull a public stunt of some kind instead.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Real journalists don't do it because they're being paid not to do it. Their bosses don't allow them to do it, and actively pay them to do other stuff so they don't have time to do that kind of work even if they wanted to do so. Their bosses also wouldn't air/print it even if they did, in a lot of cases, leaving them no avenue to actually make use of all the work they put in. So why put in that work, if it will just be ignored?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Oh I don't think it's malicious; it's just economics. Journalists do what they're paid to do, because they like being able to eat and need a wage, and their bosses generally pay them not to go digging into the kind of material John does because that's generally not what's is perceived to sell. HBO know that John can sell such material, so they pay him to do so. If other groups thought they had the personality or even the platform to sell those kind of stories they'd do the same in a heartbeat.

tsob fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jun 14, 2021

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Azhais posted:

And about 98% of news outlets are owned by people that like the way it's done. You really think Sinclair would report on it critically even if it did sell?

Honestly? Yes, absolutely. I think a lot of the kind of people who own large conglomerates would sell theur ideals without a thought if it'd make them good money.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

SlothfulCobra posted:

Which I do think gave it a higher overall hit rate when it came to comedy, while the later Daily Show and its successors started to be more aware that some people would end up being informed by the comedy news parodies they watch, and they started to try being responsible, which led to some of them becoming a kind of news-lite with the occasional dick joke, which is overall less funny. Last Week Tonight tries instead to be ambitious about making its researched portions informative and just bring up the mood with its dedicated "look at the news media being silly" joke segments. You still have the issue of comedians lacking journalistic standards, but as shows slide further into news-lite, you have less of the defense of being primarily comedy because that's less in focus.

Is it bad that I get the vast majority of my news on America from shows like The Daily Show, Last Week Tonight, Late Night with Seth Meyers etc? I don't even find them particularly funny a lot of the time, but they're funny enough and genuine enough in their delivery as well as covering the more relevant stuff from an international point of view that it's easier than watching stuff from NBC, reading articles from The New York Times etc.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
They usually don't suggest solutions regardless, Last Week Tonight aside. Whose solutions seem pretty reasonable for the most part, if rather hopeful or naïve in most cases. The solutions aren't something I can normally affect anyway, living on the other side of the planet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Hakkesshu posted:

I don't wanna both sides it because Russia is clearly the villain here, but the show buying into the Zelensky hero narrative just wants to make me wanna skip any stuff about Ukraine. I think more people should fuckin know about the Azov battalion though

It's a pretty easy narrative to buy into because he initially comes off as someone who probably shouldn't be a heroic figure given he's a former actor/comedian turned politician (which also contrasts with America's own recent experience with a former actor turned politician), but he's done all the right things to at least seem heroic; talking about wanting to open a dialogue, because that's the only way to finish this realistically, but refusing to back down or leave, using social media to repudiate Putin in various ways etc. Plus, he's a good looking dude and has done some things it's easy for people to latch onto, like voicing Paddingon Bear in the movie dubs in Ukraine. I don't know much about the guy beyond what news is reporting, which is all positive, but what is there about the guy that would suggest there shouldn't be a hero narrative around him? Especially when Ukraine having a hero leading the resistance makes them more effective on the world stage, and is almost certainly a net positive for them right now.

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I'd wager they didn't talk about them because they're aware that the Azov regiment doesn't represent the rest of the Ukraine armed forces, nor the country as a whole?

It'd also probably muddy the issue and throw a little "both sides it" into things to "but also here's some Neo Nazis in Ukraine". Even if he did go "but they don't give any justification for Putin", highlighting them is just going to throw shade at Ukraine in a situation where it doesn't actually mean anything. Why highlight the presence of nazis if they don't mean anything, or give justification after all?