Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

John Oliver could spent an entire season on the heinous poo poo WWE has done and has its fingers in and not even touch the surface. It would just be a perpetual string of "That was mostly good, but what about..."

If you're curious to dig in the wrestling forum recently did a deep dive in a very easy to digest tournament format.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3876203

https://twitter.com/NY64Tournament/status/1086688935596736512

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Apr 1, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

LadyPictureShow posted:

I'm sure I'll be disgusted and horrified by what the 'Ring Boy Scandal' entails, but at the same time, can someone give me a vague rundown or a link to an article?

I'm sure it's more terrible than the name implies

Its basically a UPenn/Paterno-esque story of WWE employing and covering up for MULTIPLE pedophile abusers. This is the writeup done but I actually don't think it even touches on things. Through the course of that whole thread we kept digging deeper into it and learning worse and worse poo poo.

https://twitter.com/NY64Tournament/status/1074375892607098880
https://twitter.com/NY64Tournament/status/1074375894746181633
https://twitter.com/NY64Tournament/...pagenumber%3D15

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

A lot of it is probably open defiance. Vince has always been the kind of rear end in a top hat who would rather keep doing something terrible just to stick it to the people criticizing him rather than admit some flaw and give them what they want.

The third guy in the Ring Boy Scandal is Pat Patterson and he was not only brought back but he was kept around for a long time and presented as one of the most beloved backstage people. And most fans didn't even realize he had done anything wrong because whenever the subject came up people within WWE and wrestling dismissed it as unfair character assassination because Patterson was gay. So they basically turned him into a trailblazer to cover up his crimes.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

He should have called for a boycott of WWE/Wrestlemania or something but maybe he's just savvy enough about wrestling to realize that people's interests levels are usually at one of two settings with it. Either "That's Way Too Stupid For Me To Waste Thought or Energy On" or "I Know This is Scummy But I Don't Care At All Because I Love It". So convincing people who give WWE money to stop and skip something they're looking forward to is hopeless and all you can get them to do is maybe do a chant and carry some signs.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

LadyPictureShow posted:

I would have been okay if he put on a referee shirt, got in the ring, and called a match between b-ball tiger and Mr. Nutterbutter (or bring back traffic zebra as the ref).

I don't follow wrestling, I can name a few guys currently wrestling, but I'm curious if some of the clips of matches they played were just random clips, or if they focused on wrestlers that were getting hosed over by the contracts the most. Like, I noticed Kofi Kingston (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kofi_Kingston) was shown in like three of the clips. IDK if that's implying he's been having huge contract fuckery issues/health problems or if it's coincidence because he's party of a pretty popular tag team.

I'm sure I'm overthinking it.

Kofi Kingston is actually getting a World Title shot at Wrestlemania and has been part of a hot but kind of convoluted worked shoot storyline about Vince McMahon ignoring him, disrespecting him, and putting unreasonable hurdles in his path while the other New Day guys talk about how its about their race and that they should just give up and walk away because they'll never get a fair shake.

So I imagine it was just the topical guy with a bit of how his story is kind of paying lip service to some of the problems while not actually addressing them.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It was just a dumb joke about Trump being a fake hypocrite because he made the weird tweet to Stewart about his name.

Its weird how much SO MANY people tried to dig deeper into the joke than that for SO MANY different reasons.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Stuff like "there's an organized media blackout to not mention Bernie Sanders as a serious candidate" sounds a bit like a conspiracy theory (that doesn't super reflect my experienced reality) and maybe doesn't belong in this thread?

I dunno. Maybe it does? It just stood out to me.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Dumb Lowtax posted:

How much did you hear about Kamala Harris's campaign right when she announced? Biden's? Now can you remember which day it was exactly that Bernie announced?

Literally the only reason I can remember the day Kamala Harris announced was because she did it on MLK Day. I think. I'm not even sure of that because who the gently caress remembers what day a candidate announced? And Biden hasn't announced so...

That seems like a really oddly specific metric to prove some organized media blackout. I don't think he's getting media blacked out and I feel like I could present clips to support that idea, but I'm also not really sure that would accomplish anything except getting us lost in a longer, more intractable argument that I don't really think has much to do with this show.

Oliver mocks politicians. Do we think he should mock Bernie more? Does he champion earnestly for Biden or Harris? Some people hate Oliver's show because they don't find him funny and think he should devote his resources and journalistic skills to serious championing of more leftists causes. That's an opinion they're entitled to but like, its also not what the show is.

Dumb Lowtax posted:

edit: Would you guess from current TV coverage that Sanders is ahead, or not ahead, of the other candidates in fundraising?

Oddly enough I actually heard CNN mention that Bernie was one of front runners in fundraising just like an hour ago in comparison to Booker's numbers. But that doesn't prove anything because this stuff is all people reacting to selective viewing through the prism of their biases. I don't think the media is conspiring against Bernie so I'm not gonna "see" that as easily as someone who does. I also don't watch CNN 24/7 so I can't really speak to how they divide their coverage from my own personal viewings (and no one could unless they're keeping track for Media Matters or something).

But again... a topic of CSPAM, not the Last Week Tonight thread. No?

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Apr 8, 2019

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

What did Oliver do against Bernie in 2016 primary? You speak that like a truism that I'm at best ignorant of.

I feel like if Oliver starts championing Harris or Biden or Beto then, yeah, maybe it will be worth discussing why he's not giving Bernie and others equal time. But is he doing that? Does he do that? Isn't the key criticism of the guy that he just makes jokes about problems and doesn't advocate political solutions?

Again, there's people who want him to stop telling jokes and advocate their personal politics more. But there's always been and that's always not been his show, for better or worse.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Apr 8, 2019

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

You know what, I don't want to get in a protracted argument with people you're cross posting to. I'm sorry. I'm blind and the sort of person who can't see the truth just as that wonderful CSPAM poster said. I'm wrong, you're right. We good?

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Apr 8, 2019

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Dumb Lowtax posted:

What a graceful way to react to being brought compelling numerical evidence that you explicitly asked to see in order to change your mind

I'm sorry I offended you, I just don't feel like arguing with a dozen different people in another forum I didn't actually go into. A forum that you say this debate can't be had in.

For what its worth of the three things you posted:

1) The first shows that Bernie got less of a boost from his announcement but doesn't draw any evidence tying that to coverage and it seems reasonable to argue that he had SUCH an advantage over Harris and others that he simply had less to gain. Perhaps the link provides some more context but I haven't searched for it.
2) The second is bad but it also doesn't have a ton of context and appears to be a sponsored ad from the DCCC. It would still be a bad thing the DCCC did, though.
3) The third thing is about the Washington Post in 2016. I didn't read it. I'll try and find the time later. But it seems only tangentially connected to the topic at hand.

But...

quote:

bernie erasure is absolutely happening and unfortunately the kind of person who refuses to see it, probably wont even when you point out flagrant examples

So I might be hopeless.

edit: And to be clear, I absolutely without question think there ARE instances, people, and organizations that were biased against Bernie. I rejected the idea that Oliver was part of some grand conspiracy to ignore him. But we clearly aren't going to find mutual ground on that.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Apr 8, 2019

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

edit... nope. Sorry. This won't stop until someone stops it. I'm sorry.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

But yes, the OP cross posted my original "conspiracy theory" post which is why I just didn't want to continue because it seemed like a recipe to get sucked into a whole thing over in CSPAM.

The irony is I actually do read CSPAM sometimes and perused through that Oliver thread when it was happening.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Please don't drink bleach or bleach like products, goons.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

He also last week thought the black guy in front of him was a totally different black guy on the tv who didn't really look much like him at all. Plus he's had a couple of incidents where he made sexual comments about female guests or women in clips.

I think this is the TV News equivalent of sending grandpa to a home.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

You're still putting your staff and crew at risk and sending a mixed message about the whole "self quarantining" thing. If the jobs are secure and pay is secure then the responsible thing is to take a break.

And yes, I can't imagine how NYC public transportation wouldn't be a massive exposure risk.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

There's still a shitload of crew making that camera work, the lights, the microphones, the chyrons and graphics, the teleprompter, etc and making sure it gets out to the public.

My guess is that's why its "shortened." They'll have a skeleton crew in but I'm guessing they've already sent writers and office staff home as well as editors and graphic designers and stuff like that. Yeah, some of that could be done from home but not nearly as efficiently as in office.

My guess is we'll get an episode that feels kind of under produced.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Mar 14, 2020

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, the whole thing was just off because the show is written and delivered for an audience reaction and without that the timing and pacing of jokes feel odd and drawn out and the absence of laughter subconsciously makes you react like when a crowd is silent. But like, it wouldn't have made a lot of sense to work harder and longer hours to adjust for 1 show that they were just doing to say "be smart" so like lets not read into and do that "I Took the Laugh Track Out to Prove Its Not Funny" thing.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

That wasn't really directed at you. Sorry about that. Its just that the "off timing for jokes" thing was kind of the answer to both things.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Trump calling himself a "War Time President" is ridiculous and just his typical way of trying to turn this into something that glorifies him as he believes all things do. But I think anyone saying he "should use those powers" are speaking to the fact that he made a big show of making private companies make equipment that is needed and then... didn't do it. And whether it would have been the right thing or justified or what it would have actually helped but as usual Trump didn't actually want to help, he just wanted to stand at a podium and say how awesome he was and then let the CEOs praise him for not making them do anything that might cost them money.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

There's definitely a pool of people who were like "Look, he'll rise to the position" or "he'll sober up when he realizes what he's got into" and "he'll listen to smart people" or "how bad could it be" who are now shell shocked at what its actually been. I don't know how large that group is. I think its unlikely there's a lot of people who voted for Trump who will flip their votes, but I do think there's a lot of room for that to have affect in those who sat out in 2016.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The thing is... sometimes I'm an idiot and doing 5 things at once and put my hand on the hot stove (or rather, grab a hpt handle/lid).

Which is really the point. Conspiracy theories sneak in and surprise people when they're freaking out or angry or stressed or whatever. The simplest explanation for conspiracy theories I've heard is that its when people have having a hard time making sense of things so they accept an "easier" answer. And people who think they're not susceptible to them or too smart for them are probably like people who think advertising can't work on them. Like when that judge in Jersey's family was targeted a bunch of goons went RIGHT to "Hillary had them killed" and got defensive that "no, it make sense because its something she'd do." You just gotta be smart and question yourself when you start believing some poo poo because "it feels right" instead of because there's actual evidence.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I think people waiting for John Oliver to do a dance number or a celebration over an enemy dying are getting the wrong vibe.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Nov 9, 2020

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

In order for Trump to steal the election at this stage he has to somehow convince the Supreme Court and Senate to overthrow the entire electoral system and name him dictator or convince the Supreme Court to outlaw mail in voting and disenfranchise tens of millions of votes that have already been counted or something. I think there's a reason no one's really verbalizing what Trump "will do" because there doesn't appear to be any sane and plausible scenario at this stage, just a sense of dread. The sort of stuff he'd have to do to steal the election is the sort of stuff changes everything. Kavanaugh and McConnell don't want to start Civil War or be the people who overthrew democracy. They're bad guys but they're not THOSE bad guys. They like their power the way it is and its not worth ending up the failed leaders of a coup to appease Donald Trump's fragile ego.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Also weird to turn a show off for like a 30 second gag that doesn't offend or anything.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I don’t like that there are people to laugh at the jokes again...

I appreciated the return of the awkward "should we laugh at that?" response to the Michael Jackson joke and then it coming back amazingly for "lowrider bell bottoms."

Also the pumpkin spice gag gave me a massive laugh I really needed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I also think that like “there’s bad people in Ukraine and it’s got its own share of serious domestic problems” should probably be a given and really doesn’t have much at all to did with this conflict or story. Ukraine aren’t the victims because they’re pure innocents. They’re the victims because what’s being done is wrong.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Mar 12, 2022