Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

They could do like three more episodes on this topic. They didn't even get into stuff like Benoit, Hogan, the way they basically deperson fired wrestlers, steroids, or the McMahons' political connections.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Ahh, Stephen Fry's dulcet tones :allears:

I loving love it when he says he says trans women are men

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

banned from Starbucks posted:

thats a very feel good answer that doesnt really solve anything

Killing someone for doing a bad thing also does not solve anything. If we keep them alive there is possibly something to be learned about why these people do what they do - though that would also require that there was actually a governmental interest in criminal prevention and rehabilitation instead of just incarceration.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Well it's not as if this show ever acknowledges his existence

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

People are really loving sick of hearing "this can't be done" or "this isn't realistic" during a time when the current administration have made things tangibly worse in a multitude of ways. If things can get worse so easily then why the gently caress can't they get better? Like, yeah, some of these ruinous policies and systems are not realistically overturned in a span of 4-8 years, depending on how the election goes WRT the house/senate, but they are possible and Bernie has plans for them - if nothing else he can get the ball rolling and hopefully large swaths America will be a lot more leftist the next time around because he disrupted the state of the country in both major and minor ways.

Despite how much the word slippery slope is used as a scarecrow, some of these things have to happen gradually, and they can't happen at all unless someone loving lays out what the intended endgame is and takes the necessary first steps to make them happen. Who knows, he may even succeed in making lives tangibly better for a lot of people in the same way this administration has made things worse for many more.

Of course, the democratic party is a shitshow and he might not even be the primary candidate, but also a realistic concern regarding Bernie is that he'll probably fuckin' die in office.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Aug 20, 2019

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Alhazred posted:

So why is this thread suddenly about a politician who hasn't been covered in the last few episodes?:confused:

Because ideally we should like to solve or work towards the solution of some of the problems that the show highlights.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I don't think Oliver is particularly funny but whoa man neither is that fuckin guy

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

LWT is excruciatingly unfunny and although I wish he would cut back on those bits, it would probably just become the TV equivalent of doom scrolling.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Jon Stewart just appeared on Colbert and did a whole weird angry old man rant about how COVID was created in a Wuhan lab leak. It was very, very rough to watch.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

banned from Starbucks posted:

What is it about the Wuhan lab theory that people find so unbelievable

It doesn’t matter how believable it is, there is no tangible proof and going around yelling about how it’s totally the fault of China Science Gone Too Far is extremely destructive and not helpful and makes you look like a crazy person

Edit: Here's the clip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSfejgwbDQ8

It's absolutely unhinged. If not for his slightly comedic tone it would just be an Alex Jones rant.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jun 15, 2021

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Again it doesn’t loving matter if the theory is plausible in any way, it’s insane fear mongering and just leads to more dumbass conspiracy poo poo. An investigation will take years either way, and most likely people like Jon Stewart will still be spouting this poo poo regardless of the results. John Oliver JUST did an episode about how loving harmful and irresponsible this kind of rhetoric is for a whole group of people.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

No one is saying that the origins of the virus should not be studied and there is not a world in which they won't be.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

It was good but cancelled out by the "guy fucks wheel of fortune" and "lobster loving" being the most astoundingly unfunny bits they've done in a fuckin while

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The logic on display on this page is as stupid as this loving book

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I don't wanna both sides it because Russia is clearly the villain here, but the show buying into the Zelensky hero narrative just wants to make me wanna skip any stuff about Ukraine. I think more people should fuckin know about the Azov battalion though

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Bad, they're bad

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I only saw the first episode and it was an interesting move to make it more of a roundtable discussion instead of just Jon yelling at things + a celebrity guest. Kinda like what they did with Larry Wilmore show. It makes it less entertaining to watch, frankly, but it also leads to more productive takeaways because you can get multiple perspectives in there. I wouldn't mind LWT trying something like that just because that style of one-way punditry is all growing very stale.

That said, I don't wanna listen to anything Jon Stewart has to say after that insane rant he went on. He did that poo poo like the week or two weeks after John Oliver did a whole segment on sinophobia WRT COVID. I don't think you can write that off as "minor misaligned views", it's racist and stupid as gently caress.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

As a non-American, I genuinely don't understand how Manchin and Sinema are allowed to keep their jobs. How can that not shatter any remaining faith you had in the democrats? Even if the dems had the office for the next 20 years who's to say there won't be 8 other Sinemas and Manchins running around preventing them from ever doing anything?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

We have party coalitions here specifically to reflect the wide range of voters and to allow the fringe parties to have influence on the majorities. It's not perfect, but it typically stops stupid bottlenecks like these from happening.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Bit of a weird topic WRT Uvalde when there was the much more pertinent issue of the actual cops at the school doing jack poo poo and possibly even shooting a child, which wasn't even mentioned. But I guess it was a big topic in the news that people wanted more RSOs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Hawkperson posted:

Kit Kats > peanut butter cups, cmon John

Who thinks this