Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
I'm a firm believer that, in some cases, the death penalty is called for. However, and more importantly, no justice system on Earth is currently capable of correctly determining when to apply it, and therefore, for all practical purposes, the death penalty shouldn't exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Alhazred posted:

Counterpoint: The state should not be allowed to decide that someone deserves to die.

Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying. It's quite clear in the text you quoted.

TheCenturion fucked around with this message at 15:14 on May 9, 2019

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
Yeah, the only thing worse than not trying to impeach would be trying and failing.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
On the other hand, politics are a reality, and the fallout of being able to actually say 'They tried to impeach the President, but did not succeed' would be real.

Plea bargaining, selective prosecution, strategic scheduling, all of that is a real thing. Maybe they're just waiting until a bit later in the election cycle, then they'll start the process so that it's hanging over his head. Maybe they're waiting to see if they can get more seats in the Senate.

On the other hand, it's a truism that any organization eventually spontaneously generates the organizational rule 'maintain the existence of the organization,' and that rule eventually becomes the primary rule. Maybe Pelosi is maintaining the status quo at the expense of doing the needful, but difficult and troublesome, thing. Who knows?

Now, here's an important question. There are allegations of shenanigans during the 2016 campaign. There are allegations of shenanigans during Trump's presidency. While Trump is president, he cannot be charged. After he stops being president, presumably he has some form of qualified immunity for things done during his presidency. But what about the things during the campaign? If he loses the next election, or after he's served out his second term, can he be arrested the moment he steps out of the White House gate and charged with campaign hijinks?

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Atomizer posted:

Yes, I've been calling them cucks in opposition to the CHUDs being intellectually devoid and co-opting things including that and Pepe, for example.

But that's all you got out of the discussion?

Seriously?

Yes, because it reduces, in one single stroke, your entire argument from surprisingly well thought-out, cogent, and passionate, to partisan name-calling. It turns an impassioned plea for rule of law, morality, and consequence for bad behavior into 'no u!'

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

tarlibone posted:

Five seconds after he leaves office, Pence will pardon him. So... yeah. That'd happen. In seconds.

So, at most, we can hope for Trump to be kicked out of office. And all it would take are all of the incredibly unlikely things I mentioned in that paragraph above. He's never going to get within sniffing distance of a jail.
That leads to another important question; is having Pence as President going to be better than having Trump?

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Atomizer posted:

Sorry for the threadnaught guys, but this is genuinely an interesting (and relevant) topic. :shrug:
It's a drat interesting topic, and I'm really enjoying it. I agree with almost everything you're saying, but:

quote:

If you're that easily distracted then that's your problem, not mine. I already explained my position and felt the need to give the enemy a little jab even though the only people who are going to see it are the handful reading this thread. If it makes me feel a little better then so what? They're not rational actors and I'm not going to treat them as such in any company.
No, see, you're the one advancing a position here, and by resorting to juvenile name calling, you're casting your own arguments as on the level of 'two kids in grade 5 arguing if Hulk could beat up Superman.' By including things like that, you're actively telling people 'ignore everything else I say.'

You're absolutely wrong that they're not rational actors; you're falling into two traps. One is that assuming people are rational in general; that theory has been discredited for a long LONG time. People operate against their own best interests all the time.

Second is that these people specifically aren't acting rationally, but have a different idea about what the rationally right decision is. Trump, I would agree, is irrational; I think he has some genuine mental issues, including but not limited to dementia and having lived surrounded by yes-men for decades. But the entire Republican political establishment? I think the idea that 'nobody is the villain of their own story' applies here.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
The Morning Report is now just a QUICK recap of the last week, and we begin in the savanna, where the new prince, Simba, was born, and immediately held out over a stunningly high cliff, whereupon all of the animals were forced to make ritual oaths of fealty, or the baby would be dropped.

Meanwhile, in an attempt to stay relevant, after being dropped out of the succession, the king’s brother has become a bit of a media bad boy, going so far as to insist upon being called “Scar.”

(Clip of paparazzi videos of wild and outrageous public behavior.)

Cool. Moving on, moving on, for our MAIN story tonight, we turn to hyena concentration camps.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Groovelord Neato posted:

Gawker's destruction is infamous for Peter Thiel backing the lawsuit because he's a huge pissbaby that was upset Valleywag outed him but the only reason they were able to destroy Gawker was because of a dumb quirk of the law since the suit was originally against radio shock jock Bubba the Love Sponge who ended up settling.

:psyduck:

I don't know how I feel to live in a world where that is a) a valid grammatical sentence, and b) a legitimate and concise description of a valid and important legal issue.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
That was unsettlingly 'apocalypse in progress' poo poo.

I'm really curious to see what sort of generational scars this leaves, like how my grandpa, who grew up during the depression, simply never threw away food.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Alhazred posted:

Voting in America seems absolutely horrible.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

When you vote you are exercising political power. You're using force! And force, my friends, is violence: the supreme authority from which all other authority is derived.

You. What is the difference, if any, between a citizen, and a civilian?

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

A citizen accepts personal responsibility for the safety the body politic, defending it with his life, a civilian does not.

The exact words of the text. But do you understand it? Do you believe it?

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

I dont know.

Of course you don’t. I doubt anyone here would recognize civic virtue if it reached up and bit you on the rear end.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
I’d expect any one of you to do the same for me.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
poo poo, I remember people hoping four years ago that 'faithless electors' would do the 'right thing' and not give their EC votes to Trump. At the time, the logic went 'the EC should go, but since we have it, one of the whole points of it is to act as a check on this sort of bullshit.'

I also remember back when Bush Junior's team took over the White House, they floated a bullshit story about Clinton's outgoing team trashing the place, cutting phone and network cables, popping the 'W' keys off of keyboards, and generally being dicks. I recall there was a brand new congresscritter who didn't get the memo and actually pushed through a congressional investigation of the allegations, which, of course, were utter fabrications. But I can certainly see some True Trumpers doing exactly that.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

His SNL was amazing and produced one of my favorite sketches ever:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7HD2xG92-0

I love it when the cast makes the guest star corpse, but it's sublime when the guest star makes the cast corpse.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
With Clinton advocating social distancing and masks, chuds would be going out and literally passing lollipops from person to person in large protests.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9G-rXdTZmc

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
I find it hilarious that 'spot of tea, guvner?' was once one of the world's foremost warrior cultures. And that they conquered the world wearing wigs, face paint and pantyhose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HOAs are one of those things that seem like a really good idea until you close your eyes and use your imagination for more than ten seconds.

"Hey, do you hate living beside that guy with three cars on cinderblocks on their front lawn, a pile of trash drifting up the side of their garage like a tidal wave, and who hasn't mowed since the Clinton years?"

"Yeah, it's dragging my property values down and it's unsafe!"

"Great, lets make our own subdivision where we can make rules not allowing that!"

"OK, but if we can make rules about how people have to maintain their property....what else can be ruled on?"

"Shhhhh."