Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
The Breunion boys gave me life. That was amazing. Solid episode all around; glad it's back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Phenotype posted:

I thought it was a lot stronger than the segment on how psychics are lame, which I thought was just kinda regurgitating info we've known for years and years. I'm surprised he didn't get more topical with automation, though, and linked it to some of the GND proposals like basic income and free education. It is hard for people to get their heads around the idea that not only will we eventually not have enough jobs to go around, but eventually their unskilled labor might not be worth anything anymore.

You kind of answered your first point with the second. People "losing their jobs" to automation aren't thinking very hard or critically about what benefits could arise of this new world order (not sure what I expect out of late stage capitalism here, but we'll see).

Similarly, people tend not to think too hard or critically about psychics. They just know whether or not they think they're for real. Yes, from our cozy intellectual internet bubbles we all know about things like cold reading, but tons of people don't. For gently caress's sake, I know this one woman who is smart and educated and about to get her master's in education. She's into Ghost Hunters because she thinks it must be real. Her boyfriend and another friend have patiently explained why it can't be, and she's still fully into it.

Yes, she is in fact smart. I promise.

So it's not even that the HBO-watching bubble matches the protected-by-stairs bubble. It doesn't. As much as this poo poo is old news for a lot of us, there's still damage being done and JO's solemn duty is to prevent it.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I'm cool with the lottery. That money mostly goes to tax-funded things like public schools.

Did you know that Nevada does not have a lottery? Bet the Gaming Commission had nothing to do with that. Regardless, Vegas residents have to drive to Nipton, CA to get lottery tickets, and if you've ever played Fallout: New Vegas, the lottery held in Nipton is a direct reference to this.

Sorry to derail. Regardless, lotto money goes to kids and psychic money goes to crystal ball manufacturers. Maybe some Tarot card designers. And incense makers.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Again/also...when was the last time society lost its collective poo poo over psychics? Was that the Warwick 1-900 nonsense in the late 90's? Even if we were there for it, a lot of people weren't, and those people watch poo poo like that bleachy-hair Matt Lauer fan who apparently has his own show.

Just because we're not the target audience doesn't mean it sucked.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

SlothfulCobra posted:

Well, there was a little show that had an episode on how the introduction of the lottery didn't really increase the amount of funding for education and just enabled tax cuts for the wealthy and corporations, shifting the burden from people who could afford to pay their taxes to people with addiction issues and hopeless lives that they desperately want an escape from.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PK-netuhHA

Well-played. I either don't remember or didn't watch that one. Hard to keep my angry political TV views straight.

I do know that the lottery in...either Spain or Portugal, is something of an annual national event that almost serves as a cultural focal point. I get the impression that a lottery is the sort of thing that goes corrupt really quickly, but can be used for good and that possibility (and maybe even a history thereof) is a part of what keeps a lot of people complacent.

Like with automation :v:

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
But... He talked about elections for coroner? The whole thing where they can run as long as they're over 18 and not a felon?

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Also, they don't have to fund the cgi dragons anymore.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Alhazred posted:

Fun Fact: Jon Cena and John Oliver are actually the same age.

Lies.

That's not fun at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

pwn posted:

I wish congress would just abolish people complaining about daylight saving time, already.

i’ve been hearing them thinking of abolishing daylight saving time altogether since the 90s, the same poo poo every year. It’s the only hobby some people have, bitching about having to pay attention to their clocks twice a year.

In California we voted for Sacramento to address it a couple years ago, wonder whatever happened to that.