Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

SlothfulCobra posted:

What was the ostensible reason for attempting to dramatically reduce their population anyways? Did they just buy into malthusian apocalypse hypotheses and decide that they couldn't support themselves?

Yeah. There were other concerns that the population would get too big too, and China doesn't have that much good farmland so a massive population plus an ideological dedication to autarky weren't compatible.

Some of my students in China had stories about the policy. As the show mentioned, having a girl didn't always count (it was administered locally and my stories are from a city in Sichuan). If you had a girl you could apply for an exemption to try again for a boy without getting in trouble.

One girl in my class was the first born, and her parents wanted to try again when she was in late elementary school. They bribed a doctor to write a report that she was mentally disabled and shouldn't be counted as a person, and when they met with the family planning people my student had to pretend to basically be inert, barely able to move and not able to speak or understand language. The officials bought the act and they got permission to have another kid, who turned out to be a boy so the family was happy that now they had a real child.

A lot of my students were from rich families that would just eat the fine/pay bribes and keep having kids until they got a boy.

Korea also really hates daughters but the imbalance there is less acute since it wasn't government policy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Alhazred posted:

I know that in my country you have to pay your own court expenses plus the court expenses of the guy you're suing if you lose the lawsuit. Which I guess is a good deterrent against frivolous lawsuits.

That happens in the US but it's not part of the law anywhere as far as I know.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

The systems are so dumb about sending you ads for stuff you just bought. Sorry guys, I don't need a new video card, I bought one from you last week. Now be less dumb and send me that ad in, oh, three years and I'm still probably deleting it unread, but it's at least more than a 0% chance I am thinking about a new card.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Beyond their politics not matching and DNC poo poo, Biden is a billion years old and needs to pick a VP who is not also a billion years old.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I'm fine with audiences, I'm mostly enjoying the general chaos that reminds me a lot of these shows during the writer's strike.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Also if that guy has ever been out of the country, it's probably just to a Mexican border town which... does not give a good or accurate impression of what Mexico is like, let alone the world in general.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Eat poo poo, Bob.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

tarlibone posted:

So there is no way for any state to mess with the electors?

Not in a serious way. For Trump to win due to faithless electors, 38 people (if Biden gets the predicted margin) appointed by the Democratic party would have to decide to vote for Trump instead. And the kind of people who get appointed electors are at least locally prominent figures, like Hillary Clinton is one of them this year. 38 vaguely prominent Democrats deciding to immolate themselves to put Trump in office is not realistic.

The thing is that I don't think the Republicans in positions of state power are cultists like the voters. They'd have to be willing to a bunch of incredibly risky ratfuckery in order to overturn a clear election in favor of someone who destroys everyone around him and has zero loyalty. If it even worked. I'm not going to say never, but the margin is large enough that I find it fantastically unlikely.

Trump refusing to ever concede and starting Trump TV, holding rallies where he pretends to still be president, and generally loving up everything he can for four years and trying to run again in 2024 if he's still alive? That's by far the more likely scenario.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

They have control over the courts and unless the Dems pull out a win in GA, Biden can't do anything about it (and if they do, he probably won't anyway). They got what they wanted.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Groovelord Neato posted:

The actual number is definitely higher than the official count.

Yep. As of October the US had 300,000 deaths above average, and it's likely almost all of that is covid. They're only recording deaths from covid when that is the known cause through tests, and plenty of people aren't getting tests. The official count is the lowest end estimate. We'll be at half a million by the end of the year, I would wager.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

The interesting thing about Pringles dude is he's based on Gene Wolfe (yes, that Gene Wolfe) who designed an important part of the machine that makes Pringles.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

It failed by being too early. If they did Cop Rock now it'd be an internet sensation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

banned from Starbucks posted:

What is it about the Wuhan lab theory that people find so unbelievable

Well, there's two versions. There's the CHICOMS CREATED A BIOWEAPON TO UNLEASH UPON THE WORLD version, which the Republicans are into and is loving insane. The other version, where they were studying bat viruses and had a containment accident, is plausible. And it's suspicious they won't allow anyone to look into it.

I'm 100% certain it's a natural bat virus. Whether it came from people loving around with bats directly or an accident at the virology institute, I have no opinion because they're both possible and any kind of real investigation has been stonewalled, so there's nothing to prove or disprove either.