Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Phenotype posted:

I wondered if it's an example of rich people/corporation privilege, where you can break all the laws you want since they're only penalized with a fine, so you just have to factor paying the fine into your budget. For all the money John blows on this show, I can easily imagine a $20k line item on the budget for "Pay Robocall Fines."

For certain, how much money did he blow on the jockstrap and wax presidents? If he can fit it into the season's budget, there's a good argument to be made for going forward. I imagine this will become more difficult with ATT, however...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Idiocracy wasn't meant to be a roadmap... :smith:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Phenotype posted:

That's honestly what I thought Trump would do. :(

His whole gimmick was "You're Fired," the epitome of ~80's Guy~ professional development. That kind of attitude doesn't attract talent. :shrug:

I think the best insight we've had into Trump in comedy, and perhaps at all, was Tony Atamanuik's The President Show...amazingly prescient.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Xarn posted:

"Then we remembered 'This is HBO'".

Yup.

------e-------

Can you guys now draw and quarter the Sacklers? Thanks.

They will never be held accountable for anything and in a thousand years the only part of their legacy that will survive history will be the endowments... :smith:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
There are only emotional appeals because the death penalty is inherently and quantifiably impractical.
:shrug:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

tarlibone posted:

If you're going to have the death penalty, I'd second the gunshot-to-the-back-of-the-head method. Unlike a firing squad, there is no chance of missing or hitting slightly off target, and it is an almost instantaneous death. And, I seriously doubt we'd have too much trouble finding people with a) the firearms, b) the ammunition, c) the necessary skills, or d) the willingness to actually kill someone legally. Fans of the TV series In the Heat of the Night might remember Carroll O'Connor describing the ideal execution method as being similar to this, except that it began with the person being told that they had served their time, everything was OK, and they would be released... and once they were convinced and on their way out, bang.

I'm against the death penalty. Like, 100% against it in 99.9% of situations. Because to be perfectly honest, I would probably nod in approval if I heard that they executed that dude who shot up the concert in Las Vegas a few years back. But, that's just an emotional thing, and even if it weren't, that guy's guilt is not at all in doubt.

My position on the death penalty used to be where you'd expect it to be back when I was a conservative--which was back when I was youngerdumber, before things were as polarized as they are now--and it was one of the last things I changed my mind on as I became more and more liberal. The thing that really did it for me was that here in Illinois, we had a few high-profile cases where death row inmates were found innocent thanks to new evidence (or modern analysis of old evidence). It was really only then when I realized just how flimsy some of these convictions were. I had just assumed that death row was for people who committed huge murders--notorious mass shootings, serial killers, career criminals who have killed several people, etc. I never really knew that it was mainly for poor black guys who were convicted of a single, random murder based on nothing more than a single, cross-race eyewitness account.

I can still remember a very heated argument I had with my dad over this. It was clear that innocent people were on death row, and not just one or two. That was all I needed to know. My dad thought I was nuts, and he told me that if I were ever convicted of a murder I didn't commit, and I were executed for it, that it'd be OK because when I got to heaven, the truth would come out, I'd be OK, and the guy who did it, and everyone who falsely convicted me, would have to pay for it.

I wish someone would have taken a picture of my face at that moment. I'll never be able to pull off that look again.

And this is why rational arguments will never work w/r/t the death penalty...

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

banned from Starbucks posted:

thats a very feel good answer that doesnt really solve anything

Except, in addition to your lack of empathy, you also don't care about quantifiable measures, such as:
  • Death Row is more expensive than life in prison
  • The death penalty does not act as a deterrent to crime
  • The death penalty has no measurable effect on recidivism
  • The death penalty is disproportionately applied to minorities, especially black men
  • The death penalty is disproportionately applied based on arbitrary geographic boundaries
  • A measurable percentage of those on death row have been found innocent by new or reexamined evidence
  • You shouldn't gently caress your mom

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

And this is why rational arguments will never work w/r/t the death penalty...

:nallears:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
If the popular vote had been followed in the last five elections the SCOTUS would be 7-2 liberal-conservative. :smithicide:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
https://twitter.com/PugetSra/status/1141205177724108800

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

SlothfulCobra posted:

The main bit about warehouses is up on their official youtube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9m7d07k22A I've also noticed full episodes popping up on youtube as well lately, although I assume somebody will crack down on those at some point. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeHmh9ty8kk

I feel like all the legal disclaimers say a lot about how hard these companies are clamping down on workers.

I doubt they will crack down much on it: people don't subscribe for LWT, but the extra exposure helps makes the show more relevant. :shrug:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Milo and POTUS posted:

Laughing at Jon thinking people aren't going to order their oreos.

The problem isn't the people ordering the oreos. Bezos could literally give every single worker a $250k per year raise and still turn massive profits.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Just to be perfectly clear: Amazon could pay a minimum wage of $135/hour for every employee and contractor in their warehouses and corporate chain and still turn massive profits.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
I love that you all are trying to rationalize all of this when Amazon could quadruple the number of workers it has without it affecting Bezos' income in any statistically meaningful way. They choose to do it the way they do because a spreadsheet said this would give the largest short-term profits.
:crossarms:

Unkempt posted:

Nationalise it, give it to the Post Office.

This but high-speed internet.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Largely, they don't care. Employees don't have any input, and are mostly considered disposable by the companies, so no concern is spared for them.

It's never about actual cost, it's just about how wellbeing of workers has absolutely no value to them.

Actually, Walmart showed us that the company can have an active interest in harming the wellbeing of its workers. Did they ever regulate away the ability of companies to take out secret life insurance policies on their employees? Because I am pretty sure they did not...

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Eh, I don't want to actually nationalize the infrastructure, but it would be cool if they used the apparatus of the Post Office and updated it for how people currently communicate and offer some kind of widely-available, free broadband.

Craptacular! posted:

The problem with nationalizing internet access is that it probably lowers the bar significantly for law enforcement to spy on people. Current ISPs don’t have to turn over customer data to any copyright attorney who asks and can tell police to come back with a warrant.

Government either won’t do that or will do it until a complete Trump-like doofus shoes up shouting about the need to know what sites brown people are browsing. (The government can already do this through national security requests, but again, not like populist fascists know/pretend to know this.)

:lol:

The entire US network passes through a few, controlled points. NSA projects like Red Lantern have been monitoring all electronic communications within, to, and from the US since at least the 80's.

And if anyone thinks the largest data farm in history is for storing :airquote: meta-data, :airquote: then I have a bridge to sell you: dirty cheap!

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-surveillance-watchdog/nsa-staff-used-spy-tools-on-spouses-ex-lovers-watchdog-idUSBRE98Q14G20130927

They've already used it for personal reasons so the genie is out of the bottle...

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Craptacular! posted:

Yeah, if you know any Agency employees then don’t piss them off I guess, but I’m saying that the more bog-standard civilian parts of law enforcement aren’t using these databases to dragnet anyone downloading Pokémon.

Like when it comes to nationalizing AT&T or some poo poo, I’m not opposed to the government running a telecom, as long as there’s still private carriers because only a loving fool would use the nationalized carrier to set up a weed sale or whatever.

Your cell phone has already told the NSA who your drug dealer is. hth

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Also remember that there was a concerted Russian effort to affect votes in the swing states that won the election for Trump. You can't chalk it up to some electoral masterstroke when the election was won by 40,000 votes in ~12 rural districts when even the government now admits that the Russians had the ability to alter votes in the 2016 election and the Trump campaign shared their voter data and strategy with the Russians who had house-by-house detail on voters from Cambridge Analytica/Facebook.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
I think people in this thread are fixated on Sanders because he is the candidate who most taps into the oeuvre of the show:
https://twitter.com/berniesanders/status/1164228993169723398?s=21

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Atomizer posted:

What happened to you is an unfortunate reaction to the period of liberal opiate/opioid prescription that resulted in the mess we're in now; now all healthcare professionals are hyper-sensitive to potential drug-seekers. However, it would've been illegal for any ED to refuse service to you, and it sounds like you ran into some shockingly unprofessional providers. (It wouldn't have been out of the question, however, to make you wait if you were triaged and they had to attend to more serious cases - yours wasn't life-threatening, after all.)

Also, note that the 2nd drug you described - Ondansetron - is an anti-emetic, not an analgesic. It wouldn't have been suspicious to request that in the first place, however if that provided some relief then that'd offer hints to the root cause of your symptoms, and ideally the goal would be to treat them, but I can't figure out what you have just from the limited information provided.

It's illegal for healthcare providers to check your insurance but somehow I get much better care on my new corporate health plan than I ever did on medicare so :nallears:

:airquote: illegal :airquote: means exactly jack poo poo to most medical professionals I've ever met or dealt with.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
He's 66? :shrug:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
The ending to this episode felt extra cathartic when I remembered how nervous Oliver was doing the original piece, with just the spectre of the future lawsuits hanging over his uncertain head...

I'm also pretty certain that Mr. Nutterbutter hasn't made an appearance since the first Massey deep dive. :stare:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Hulu now has a live watch option with their HBO addon if you have cut the cord. :tviv:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Y'all ready to hear a lot about a lot of societal problems a Bernie presidency could immediately fix?

Dollars to Pesos we actually get a white paper on Why Bernie is Bad For AmericaTM. :nallears:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
okay...fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
The media bubble, including Oliver, is still so brain-broken that they hope a ~TRUMP PIVOT~ is still possible because, surely underneath all of that narcissism and hubris is a human heart, right? :nallears:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

precision posted:

The most powerful man in America, ladies and gentlemen. Jesus loving Christ, I literally wouldn't trust this man to run a goddamn Arby's and almost 50% of American voters thought he'd do fine. JESUS

Who works to raise gas prices with his journalist-murdering, dictator friends during a crisis?
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1245720677660925952?s=20

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

punk rebel ecks posted:

Wouldn't it make more sense to defend "Chinese Virus" by bringing up the "Spanish Flu" rather than "Chinese Food"?

Not if you know your audience doesn't know about the 1918 epidemic. :eng99:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
I think if Stewart hadn't left his show, Trump may not have happened at all. I imagine an episode in late 2015 lampooning the cable networks for giving Trump millions in free advertising and having Comedy Dad mad at them may have just shamed the on-air personalities into some honest journalism...

Tiggum posted:

It's not a news show. It's current affairs. If you're relying on it for news then you're going to miss a lot.

Yeah, TDS is more like the NYT, but LWT is more like ProPublica.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Azhais posted:

Hillary's whole "Get a load of that guy" campaign didn't help either

Hey, it worked so well in 2016 that it looks like we're running it again! :downsgun:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Also with a bit of Stockholm Syndrome: putting a literal gun to the heads of huge swathes of the country and going "hey that's a really nice minority population you have there...be a shame if something happened to them."

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Milo and POTUS posted:

I don't think he reads this thread

just what john oliver would say :crossarms:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Stare-Out posted:

So is America just basically

Common sense people: "Hey, here's something that would benefit everyone with no real loss to anyone!"

The United States of America: "NO" *faaaaaaart*

Am I missing something maybe?

No, that's a misconception popularized by the ruling elite. Public institutions in the US have overwhelming public support, but a very wealthy cabal of billionaires hates that poor people get (almost) free stuff so they kill every social program they can.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Stare-Out posted:

So yes, but in a more nuanced way. The US is making it really hard for me to flaunt my European freedoms without feeling super lovely about it.

Yeah, it's just really important to understand that this is all down to the opinions of the richest 400 men in the country and public opinion does not factor into their decision at all.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

SlothfulCobra posted:

Dallas isn't plural. There's only the one. Well, that one and Fort Worth.

There's an annoying thing where for some reason so much professional media refuses to assign malicious motivations to the most obvious goddamn plots, so they're left doing these elaborate shows of idiocy because they can't let themselves be seen as one of those crazy conspiracy theorists.

Like earlier when William Barr clearly was saying that a criminal who pled guilty to multiple crimes should be absolved, John Oliver couched his criticism in this idiotic way where he said, "This could set a dangerous precedent," like Barr was just acting foolishly on the spur of the moment as opposed to directly planning to break the law to defend the administration, just like what he said he would do in the essays about breaking the law to help the president that got him hired to break laws to help the president, and after he smiled at that reporter saying that after successfully breaking the law to help the president, the world order that would follow in the future would be forced to be sympathetic to its master unbounded by human law.

There is no precedent. This is the damage being done now. Like I don't know whether they're waiting for deathsquads publicly executing dissenters to actually speak up about things or what.

You can see this most clearly in the WHPC's coverage of Trump: constant incredulity after more than four years of his never-ending, stream-of-consciousness lies with takes like "why would the president say this?" and "the president's statements make no sense!"

Yes, dipshits, it makes perfect sense in the context of spreading regime propaganda... :nallears:

pwn posted:

I think they (Oliver, Colbert, et al) feel that if they don’t act cynical, cooler heads will prevail. Or they have terminal brainworms. Six of one, etc.

The "cooler heads" theory is definitely brainworms.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Josh Lyman posted:

Couldn’t a lot of it be fear of being sued for slander and/or losing access?

I would love to see that court case...networks should be begging for Trump to give them the legal power of discovery. They will never do that, however, because Trump is the biggest cash cow in the history of modern news.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Well for LWT it's not like they have access in the first place - all their stuff is second-hand reporting. And comedy is usually pretty well insulated from accusations of slander because "it's just a joke, bro" actually holds up pretty well as a legal defense in the US (I mean that doesn't stop people from trying, like the whole Bob Murray thing, but that didn't exactly end his way).

Also this: shows like LWT rely on investigative journalism outfits like ProPublica to do their research. Pulling punches on stuff like Barr is simply providing more cover for the regime, and does nothing to insulate LWT or protect their journalistic integrity. Even if they did have journalists in the field: you do not need access once you have the story.

It does make Business Daddy happy, though...

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

piL posted:

I don't think its an unheard of tactic to soften your language in order to broaden your audience when trying to write persuasively. Some writers are trying to start from a position that doesn't immediately alienate the ideologically most valuable viewer--those who both can be convinced, but are not already convinced.

Not to be glib, but part of the problem is catering our discourse to the idiots who can't even be bothered to pay attention in the first place. :haw:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Has any other president besides Obama ordered the death of a US citizen and his son without a trial for posting YouTube videos while we are discussing sub-optimal presidents?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Kamrat posted:

It's good people that are making this happen, but I agree that it shouldn't be necessary.

The state should provide these people with proper homes, no one should be homeless.

A friendly reminder that there are more vacant or unused houses in America than there are people without homes.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

tarlibone posted:

A friendly reminder that vacant or unused homes are often in states of disrepair that range from just a couple dozen thousand dollars away from passing inspection to literally falling apart and scheduled for demolition.

Housing is a complicated issue. There is a reason why every simple solution instantly falls apart under even the slightest bit of scrutiny. Listening to people try to solve the housing crisis with a brilliant, can't-fail, simple solution is like watching Trump solve COVID-19 after reading the back label of a bottle of Clorox.

I'm talking about vacant hotel rooms, houses that have been built and maintained but are currently unoccupied, and secondary housing for the wealthy that is occupied for less than 2 months per year. We don't even have to break in to the piles of broken homes and abandoned houses...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

tsob posted:

The short clip of the American exceptionalism guy intrigues me. Obviously no-one here can precisely speak for the guy, but I do wonder if it's that he just thinks everywhere else outside America is some third world country where every day consists of 10 mile treks for water before sleeping in a bed of cowshit, if he just thinks "freedom" as he/America defines it is so unique to America that people must be miserable even if they live broadly similar lives to his own, if the handful of notable social and cultural differences between America and any other first world country make life so much better that even days with natural disasters in America are still better than a day in [insert other country] where, I don't know, it's nice and sunny and you won the lotto or something or if it really just comes down to something simplistic like "no guns = no freedom"?.

It's kind of a combination of all of that.

~American Freedom~ is seen as something unique and special to the United States. Old or intentionally altered textbooks give an outdated, jingoistic, and self-centered narration of history which makes everywhere else seem like either a Third World Shithole or a post-War hellscape of burned out buildings and military police. Throw in a mindset that is stuck in 1987, where there are only three types of countries: Communist Enemies, People Who Need to be Protected from Communist Enemies, and Poor People. The first two get tanks (either at or for them) and the third gets pity in the form of aid. There is nowhere in this worldview for the idea that being anywhere except America is good. America is Rome: The Eternal City - The Shining Beacon on the Hill. The Promised Land.

In this view, no matter how bad it is here, being anywhere else is unarguably worse.