Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
WELCOME TO TETRIS 99

Announced unexpectedly in the middle of a Nintendo Direct the newest Battle Royale game from the people who made TETRIS: The Grand Master is here!

How can I play Tetris 99?
Tetris 99 is semi-f2p available to anyone who has a Nintendo Online Subscription

How do I play Tetris 99
Its tetris but the following additions

Credit to: https://twitter.com/TheRickyWill

How do I set up a T-Spin?

Credit to Takoluka for posting this

Is normal Tetris available?
YES. However you have to spend $10 to buy the big block DLC to play it, which also comes with local multiplayer and being able to play 99 mode with bots.

I'm a Tetris god and am tired of getting 1st place against these mere mortals. Is there anything to make it harder?
If you have secured at least one first place finish you now have access to Tetris Invictus. With a much faster playspeed and a much smaller and more skilled matchmaking pool.

The normal theme has gotten boring
Good News! Every day you can complete small tasks which give you tickets which can be spent on new themes. Also every so often there will be the Tetris Maximus Cup over a weekend. If you get 100pts you'll unlock a new theme usually related to a newly released nintendo game.

Points are assigned by rank:
code:
Placement	Points
1st	           100
2nd	            50
3rd	            30
4th – 10th	    20
11th – 30th	    15
31st – 50th	    10
51st – 90th	    5
91st - 99th	    1
Post your triumphs and terrible failures here in this thread and discuss your strategies for victory.

Ohtsam fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Sep 17, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

One tip is I’d really recommend switching to control type B since it’s easier to target in the late game with the left stick since you can just stall for time with continuous spins.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

This game is absurdly good.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
drat this game owns

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I got a first place win on day one and will probably never repeat this act.

WEEDCAT
Oct 31, 2005

*sets you on fire*
Game is insanely good.

Is the targeting info in the OP accurate? Usually players with high KOs also have a bunch of badges so I'm not sure that part is right since there is so much overlap. I've also seen people claim that KOs tends to target players who are in the red zone.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

KOs seem much more set for "target flashing players to finish them". I'd think the reason this is riskier vs Random as those players are more likely to be multi targeted for the same reason and/or could suddenly clear their tall stack which has a good chance of coming back.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Need to find out how to setup t spin doubles

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

tithin posted:

Yeah, learning tspin setups seem like it’ll be important if you want to consistently win at high level.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

SeANMcBAY posted:

Yeah, learning tspin setups seem like it’ll be important if you want to consistently win at high level.
On that note, I've seen videos and write-ups for T99 specific strategy but anything recommended for just basic Tetris skills?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
I can’t get over how stupid the concept of "battle royale Tetris" sounds in my head compared to how insanely fun this game is.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Ok, so do T-spins get you anything other than the ability to fill in holes you wouldn't normally be able to? Do they add to the garbage you're throwing to other people?

Also, does anyone else play Tetris using only one piece-flip button? Like, obviously, since the beginning of time, the player has been able to turn the pieces in either direction. Do I ever do that? No.

Will this absolutely kill me if I get into the top 10? Is it why I haven't gotten there very often so far? :ohdear:

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
T-spins are worth more garbage blocks. I'm trying to wean myself off using a single flip button and learning to use both, but I've gotten into the top ten with just one button before.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The only way this game could be improved is if they implemented the music from the C64 version of Tetris.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqvIAmjPQew&t=929s

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
T-spin doubles are important to learn because they're much, much more efficient with your blocks in terms of garbage sent/tetrimino used. It's also something that you can weave in the middle of play without needing to have stacked up for Tetrises. Getting a couple T-spin doubles needs only 4 lines but will clear a big chunk of your queue, whereas to do that with Tetrises needs a lot more tetriminos and leaves you vulnerable, as you now no longer have stuff to clear when the next wave of garbage comes.

You need to spin in both directions because, depending on the direction you spin, you'll be able to "flip" your tetrimino and get it to places where you wouldn't be able to if you were spinning the wrong way. Also, you need to spin in the right direction if you want to do things like T-spin triples or otherwise fill gaps you otherwise wouldn't have been able to fill.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

tithin posted:

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Detective No. 27 posted:

The only way this game could be improved is if they implemented the music from the C64 version of Tetris.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqvIAmjPQew&t=929s
That's the most Psygnosis thing I've seen and heard in more than twenty years.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Will try this today and report. I always forget about this mechanic even though I know Tetris games have had it for ages.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

This is the most important post in this thread so far, and that won't likely change for a very long time.

Thank you so much!

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Tetris 99 use the standard battle Tetris rules, so everything from the Puyo Puyo Tetris guides still applies here:

How to get Perfect Clears:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YicWkhg7e5o

How to do T-spins:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnU9mWOY87E

Common T-spin setups like Albatross, DT Cannon, Super T Spin Double, and Imperial Cross:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2jsvgokC9o

Combo setups (4-wides):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1vXEMf-SGk

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

golden bubble posted:

Tetris 99 use the standard battle Tetris rules, so everything from the Puyo Puyo Tetris guides still applies here:

How to get Perfect Clears:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YicWkhg7e5o

I did not realize that a perfect clear drops 11 lines of garbage.

Too bad that doesn't matter much in a game against 99 people

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Whoever decided that techno Flight of the Bumblebees needs to play when it's down to the top ten needs to be a) given a raise and b) fired immediately

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Reminds me of the goofy circus song that would play in Cultris when you’re about to die. No idea what it was called or how to find it though, so this post is pretty pointless.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
So if you're in attackers mode with a ton of people attacking you even single lines are worth it, especially if you can do them in a combo.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

I've won 15 times and I still feel like I'm trash at this video game

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Is there any skill based matchmaking in the game, or is it just a mix of players of all skill levels? Anyway, I managed to reach 2nd place tonight, so I'm not total garbage, even though my strategy is mostly "keep the field almost clear so you can use incoming garbage instantly".

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jREJaKHvUyU

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Thanks for the anxiety attack

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Why did I instantly start sweating?

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
I recently described Tetris99 to a friend as one of those games you can casually open for little breaks since all the matches are over pretty quickly, but now I see my mistake: I open it up to play 2 matches or so before bed, and then 1 hour has elapsed and I'm forced to face that I simply cannot control myself with this game. The power of "just one more" is no joke.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It’s especially bad since you don’t have to go through a whole rigamarole like something like Fortnite.

It’s pres butan, new match

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
Yeah, the matching is incredibly fast and you just have to hold a button to get a new match. All that contributes to the feeling that you're really not spending too much time... But it eventually adds up.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

EightFlyingCars posted:

EightFlyingCars posted:

I see I see

And tell me, how does this replay make you feel

https://twitter.com/cobretty_/status/1097160549530402817?s=19

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

tithin posted:

I see I see

And tell me, how does this replay make you feel

https://twitter.com/cobretty_/status/1097160549530402817?s=19

Inadequate

Seriously, watching people who are Good At Tetris is both incredibly inspiring and mortally terrifying

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The even crazier part is the person on the other end was just as good. They held each other at bay for a long time.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The even crazier part is the person on the other end was just as good. They held each other at bay for a long time.
That's what I think every time I see one of those, hope the top players start putting together split-screen replays.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I found an old page describing T-spins and saw something I didn't know--is it still the case in this game that the only qualifier for a T-spin single is that three of the four corners are blocks? So even if you technically performed a T-spin to make a line, it still wouldn't count if there were only two corner blocks?

Merv Burger
Jan 3, 2008

That information is still correct in guideline Tetris, as far as I understand.

T-spins require at least 3 corners to be occupied, and the last successful move to be a rotation.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Holy poo poo this game is good, I played for a couple hours with my girlfriend last night passing the controller back and forth. I think it's cool because while, sure, it's just battle tetris with a shitload of people at once, it lets people who might never play a shooty battle royale game a chance to feel that increase in tension as you get closer to #1 much like you would in a PUBG or whatever. Plus that fuckin' Tetris remix rips goddamn :pcgaming:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Just hit my high of 13th but holy poo poo had a few rounds where I feel like I was just targeted by multiple people at the start and rammed straight through.