Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«4 »
  • Post
  • Reply
Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!


Daisy Vivre
HP: 6/10
Condition: Normal
AP: 0
Strikes: 1

The doctor's words snap Daisy out of it, vividly reminding her that she's not out of danger yet.

"Right!" Still a bit shaky, she pushes past the doctor to get into cover somewhere where both medics can't be caught with one blast. Hopefully...

"You, plant girl"? I guess I can't be annoyed since I don't know his name either. ...And I kind of called him a dinosaur before.

----
Daisy moves SW, SW, S, S, S.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!


Ruby Rhapsody
10/10 HP (post-turn)
0 AP
1 Strike

Alright, this guy has officially pissed me off! He's ignorant, selfish, AND a bully, and now there's dents in Daisy. Enough of this. Let's see if I can't replicate that one fluke swing. Deep breath, focus, and...

Ruby quietly positions herself opposite Polar Barrier. She thinks back to when she first did this: shot in the back mid-air, her body tucked forward and rapidly increased in momentum before impacting to the ground with sizable force. All she had to do was add a slash to it. And so, Ruby Rhapsody hops up and ever so slightly forward, tucking into a ball and front-flipping for increased momentum with each revolution, then comes crashing down onto Model SE's head with her blade.

秘奥義 : 兜割り
Secret Skill: Helmet Splitter

"You, the best in the Legion? We both know that's not true. We both have our idol figures, after all."

She begins to walk away, sheathing her beam katana almost fully.

"But unlike you, I don't disappoint mine."

She finishes the motion. Cue exploding/splitting robot, should this be a fatal blow.

------------------------------------------

Role Action: Quick Shift South.
No Action: Rally, regaining Called Shot.
Attack Action: Called Shot. Rolled a 7, so we get our critical for 12 damage prior to mitigation.
Move Action: Disengage and walk away from the explosion, towards Daisy.

Unknown Quantity fucked around with this message at Mar 9, 2019 around 21:59

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014



Dreyce's eyes widen as he sees Ruby coming towards him, when did she master-
No, if he was to survive he couldn't waste time wondering, he shifts the fraction of a millimeter that he has time for, and even that is nearly not enough. The cut is deep across his abdomen, blood and sparks shooting from his body.
He kicks out of Polar Barrier's grasp, leaving a few pieces of his armor behind.
 "YOU don't get to lecture ME!" Dreyce spits through a mouthful of blood.
"You surround yourself with these lesser, these weaker-"
He grabs Barrier's arm before he has a chance to react and slams him hard on the ground...
Would have slammed him hard on the ground, but his motion is interrupted by the springs that had bound him, Polar is only pushed into the dislodged chair.
Dreyce roars and dives behind the command console,
"We created them and they filled me with their- THEIR PARTS!" He rips jagged pieces of himself out of the sliced area and tosses them at Spring Hyenard and Polar Barrier.
"Well they can have them!" He spits put with his blood and some teeth.

Ruby's attack brought him well past the bloodied threshold.

Move action free from Polar's grip
Attack action to suplex Polar with his encounter, only 5 damage all told thanks to Hyenard's weakened.

Next turn Dreyce shifts with his move and then attacks with razor feathers, this time only hitting two targets again because there are only two legal targets. Both are hits and 6 damage each after exposure.


Daisy's turn!

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005



Polar Barrier
9/13 HP
0 AP

"Hey!" Polar Barrier says indignantly as he brushes wires and gubbins off of his belly. "Don't throw yourself at me."

---------------
Spending an action point to use You Call That A Punch? on the second attack and make it miss instead. WHAT feathers

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at Mar 9, 2019 around 18:31

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!


Daisy Vivre
HP: 6/10
Condition: Normal
AP: 0
Strikes: 1

"Oh, I am a one-trick droid..."

Daisy's internal seed bank clicks, cycling a handful of very specialized seeds into her arm cannon.

"...but I've gotten a lot of practice with it!"

She has had centuries not only to improve her power, but to selectively breed new varieties of plant; this one is her most potent painkiller. And she launches enough of it at him to make even an augmented soldier sluggish.

"Sleep."

The whole area becomes a small garden. A little trail of daisies marks a safe path away for Hyenard, and then closes up behind him.

----
Switching to Calling the Undergrowth, which causes hella Difficult Terrain to spring back up.

Using Grasp of Vines (just flavored differently than normal), rolling a 6, spending a miss token to upgrade that to a Solid Hit. Dreyce takes 3 damage and is slowed, and a 3x3 area centered on him becomes difficult terrain.

Tactics to give Hyenard a move.

End of turn, putting a patch of impassible brush one square north of the console Hyenard ducked behind. All squares adjacent to that are difficult terrain. Dreyce is now Slowed and completely surrounded by difficult terrain.

Otherkinsey Scale fucked around with this message at Mar 9, 2019 around 20:12

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014



"STOP! YOU SHOULD ALL BE DEAD BY NOW!" Dreyce shrieks,
"WHY DON'T YOU JUST DIE?!" He screams, throwing shards of himself at Barrier and Hyenard, hitting both square on, one knocking Hyenard clear over.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgT-IOPxk-k

Attack Action to razor feather again since he's locked down pretty tight! Hits Polar for 6 and Hyenard for 3

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012



Spring Hyenard
Command Deck
Incapacitated
-3/10 HP

0 AP
3 Strikes


---

Hyenard scrambles along the flower path, putting his trust in the petals for lack of any better options. The trail ends on the far side of the console, and he crouches there, back where he started, breathing heavily as that lunatic continues to rage and-

-Hyenard glances down at his chest, a sparking razor-edged metal feather sticking half-in, half-out. Not because it got stuck entering, but because it got stuck exiting.

He slumps back against the console, feeling the shredded metal tear against his shredded hide. That panic is very definitely back, now, dripping down his body and pooling on his springs.

---


Comeback roll:
rolling 1d6
(1) = 1
-2 raw HP, turn over.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005



Polar Barrier
5/13 HP
0 AP
1 Strike
*Turbocharge Activated*

Polar Barriers eyes widen as Spring Hyenard is felled by the force of Dreyce's projectiles.

"Noo!"

Polar Barrier turns back to Dreyce, letting out a ferocious roar as a jet of steam issues from his mouth. His eyes glow molten red and his reactor begins to thrum loudly as the pistons in his arms prime themselves and his shoulders ratchet back. With a lumbering charge he stomps up to the vine-covered control panel and slams his mighty paws together over the cyborg's face. The two struggle, quaking wildly as servos squeal and Dreyce's helmet display begins to crack...

---------------
Powering up to to Greater Avalanche Style. The base damage of my attacks this round is increased by 1, and Grabbed enemies now have Disadvantage to attack anyone but me.
Move action: E, E, SE, E
Standard action: Melee Attack Model SE. 5+6=CRITICAL HIT. My base damage of 3 is doubled to 6, re'doubled' to 9 and boosted to 10 by type effectiveness.
I also regain a hit point.
Role action: Mark Model SE again.

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at Mar 10, 2019 around 04:17

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!


Dr. Mann
Engineering Bay
0 AP
Role Boosts Available: None
Encounter Powers Available: Terrain [Role]


The doctor grimaced as he saw Hyenard go down. But he couldn't afford to get distracted. This droid was getting more dangerous by the minute. He gritted his teeth and took care to aim precisely properly, not wanting to accidentally hurt Polar Barrier.
Delaying my action to after Ruby's turn.

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!


Ruby Rhapsody

So that's what this all was. A superiority complex formed by a deep-seated hatred of "needing" augments. It's clear now. He wanted to be the best on his own merits, and saw everyone else as either a stepping stone or a threat. But he can't, even with augments, so he uses this "job" to lash out against everyone. What was that metaphor Onyx spewed at me when we had our own heart to heart..."Ruby-dono, if your blade isn't finding purchase, perhaps it was never meant for that task in the first place."

Ruby clenches her fist, it shaking while the chaos continued without her, but sighs and, rather effortlessly, glides through gaps in the plant life to approach Model SE.

"I never asked to be made into a soldier. But I took what I was stuck with and chose a new path, one I'm happy with. Dreyce. If neither your internal injuries nor what I'm about to do kill you, please find another calling, one that lets you let go of all this anger."

Without another word, she delivers a backhand to Model SE's temple. Ruby holds back as much as she can, but with the current injuries to the humanoid, this may prove too much regardless.

------------
Role Action: Quick Shift
Move Action: Evasion to reach him
Attack Action: Punch his lights out. Rolled a 9. That's about 4 damage after resistance. She's TRYING to be non-fatal but it's really up to chance.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014



A feeble hand catches Ruby's wrist as Dreyce's legs give out.
"A new... Path..." He grimaces before falling to the floor, unconscious. In a blinding light, this bio-metal separates itself from him, and clanks onto the control deck's flooring pannel.

https://youtu.be/1yIacC1CdYc

A light on Dreyce's collar blinks and another bright flash goes off, this one smaller in scale.
A shrill, mechanical voice emerges from the light:
code:

SUBJECTS IDENTIFIED, FILING BOUNTY.
Then the light burns out, and the room is still.

Level Clear!
https://youtu.be/0vqwSjF5v-0

Ok! You have cleared the intro stage, there are a couple of things that you guys should decide:

- What are you doing with the Legion soldiers (including Dreyce)
- Are you keeping the airship? It is still flight capable, but major work is required.
- There are civilians on the ship, how do you wish to approach them? Will you ask them to stay?

Furthermore, you guys have gained:
- 3 EXP
- Bio-Metal: Model SE (pinned in Discord, card coming)
- An airship base
- A legion bounty

Please note these things.

Nextly, it is downtime, your characters will need to rest, additionally, choose two of the following:

- Recovery/Repair: attempt to recover from major conditions or remove flaws from items.

- Learning: attempt to learn a new skill and/or spend skill points to upgrade regular skills to heroic, unskilled to skilled or no skill to unskilled.

- Gathering Rumours: attempt to discover something about one of the upcoming missions.

- Training: train a replacement if you are retired.

- Other: story options that have less predictable mechanical benefits but are still useful and important.


https://youtu.be/JmbI8dc7t1g
Nextly,as a group, choose from one of these four upcoming missions:

- Rotary Sky-Dock (Threat 3, Long, Dangerous)
A rare example of something from the past working perfectly as needed, the Legion use this post to repair gunships. You could likely find everything you need to repair and fortify your own airship here.
Boss: Master Processor

- Hydrodam Fortress (Threat 3, Short, Deadly)
Fortified upon a drat that gives it power, this legion HQ serves as a way-point for prisoners and assault teams alike. Sparkplug's comms indicated that the extraction team headed this way after leaving the airship.
Boss: Flak Mackarel

- Venomrail Station (Threat 2, long, dangerous)
Word of a supply train diverting required resources from badlands settlements has turned into potential fact. This station holds those answers, and enough supplies to keep your airship stocked.
Boss: Strike Cobra

- Occupied Grace (Threat 2, marathon, unhealthy)
The town of Grace was a rumored harbor for the resistance. Now it is occupied by legion forces who have imprisoned anyone even remotely suspected of being resistance sympathetic. Reading Dreyce's mission log states this was his next destination.
Boss: Mortar Rex

(More to come after missions are completed)

Finally, a couple of mechanics questions:
- Do we wish to lessen exposure to 1.5?
- Are we ok with the actions terrain features take up (primarily role)?
- Does anyone need to do retraining before we start the next dungeon?

Moriatti fucked around with this message at Mar 10, 2019 around 20:43

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!


Daisy Vivre
Command Deck
Condition: Normal
AP: 0

Before Dreyce even hits the floor, Daisy's off like a shot, racing to Hyenard's side, the carpet of plants she's woven across the deck parting before her.

Please don't be dead, please don't be dead, please don't be dead...

She kneels beside him. "Springy?!" She says, loudly, tracking his reactions. Trying to keep him focused and alert. "Hey, buddy. You were amazing! Why don't you tell me something. Like, what do you do for fun? Usually?"

As she speaks, she's tearing the nearby flora up for a patch job that will make sure he lasts long enough to get him properly fixed. Her specially bred plants are strong enough to restrain a reploid, which means they're strong enough to fix one, too.

The vast majority of Daisy's repair experience is routine maintenance. But on a long enough timeline, unexpected catastrophic failures happen. And when that timeline includes wars spreading over the globe, and people running so far and wide to escape them that a handful a decade even ran into her greenhouse...

Her treatment is expert.

She's unable to prevent an infection. But she can get him stable enough to bring him somewhere to treat it. As soon as she does, she asks Task to lead them to the nearest medical area. With a wave of her hands, she gathers all the plants in the area under Hyenard, forming a crawling floral stretcher that carefully lifts him up and secures him. Daisy continues talking as they start moving, doing her best to distract him from the pain.

----

Rolled Medic and got a 1, leading SH to be conscious, but in pain and infected. Spending my first downtime unit to treat that infection, ASAP.

I'm voting for keeping the airship, we have two people with Repair Machine and one of it's at heroic! I'm also voting for exposure at 1.5; I have more feedback regarding that, I'll post it in the mechanical wishlist channel when I have a chance. Retraining, as discussed, switching out a feat TBD; other votes also forthcoming.

Otherkinsey Scale fucked around with this message at Mar 10, 2019 around 19:27

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012



Spring Hyenard
Airship
Infected Condition -> Normal Condition
0 AP
1/2 Downtime actions used (Recovery with Daisy, posts for that upcoming)

---

"I-I, uh, I-..." Hyenard looks up at Daisy, trying to focus on her rather than the chest wound. "I- thank you for- That's..."
As the sounds of battle finally fade away, Hyenard manages to unwind a bit, his springs loosening back to a more natural tension level.
"Fun? I, uh, the scrapyard gang usually, uh, used to hang out and watch Mega League Soccer together when it was on; the Cell did a lot of training, always liked setting up a good long bounce chain, wasn't the most useful skill but it felt nice to see it all go off right, I-"
He rambles a bit, trying to keep talking and keep focused. He's been in this sort of situation before, on the other side, watching friends try to keep Recon Hawk's husband Gordon from panicking or blacking out while his arm was pinned in a compactor- what was he supposed to be doing? Repeat stuff to show he's awake?
"My name is Spring Hyenard, scrapyard worker, Repliforce, uhh, I live- lived at Block 24-20 Deck 0B at the Area U Refuse Reprocessing Facility, I-"
He's aware enough to know that some of this probably isn't stuff he should be repeating, but he can worry about that later, when he's not bleeding out. He manages to keep it up enough to convey his awareness throughout the bandaging, if perhaps a bit rambling-y.

After a few moments, he suddenly realizes- "W-Wait, shouldn't we remove the feather first? Does that go back out the way it came in, or do we need to push it the rest of the way- where's the feather...?" He inspects for a few more moments as vines cover up his wounds. "It was too big to just fall in and get lost in me... Wasn't it? But it didn't fall out, and- nngh!?"
He clutches his chest, nearly ripping some of the vines with his claws.
"That's... uncomfortable," he mumbles. "Not the vines! Those are good. Thank you for those, Daisy. Hm... Well, whatever that feather did, I almost feel sorry for it. My immune systems are pretty wild. I've handled some gnarly stuff without issue. I'll get over this too, probably."
Still, this feels... different. This feels weird. This feels- what's this purple-yellow stuff around the edges of the wound?
Something inside Hyenard- not some part of Hyenard, but something inside Hyenard- makes him turn his head to stare at the fallen Bio Metal laying on the floor.
"... Maybe... Maybe if you have some spare time, we should check it out after all..."


---

As per Moriatti's offer, Hyenard and Daisy will both spend 1 Downtime action each and have a scene together to collectively auto-treat the infection.

Pretty sure my second downtime action will be to help with Airship repairs, but I'll let everyone else get a sense for what they're up to first.



---

Mechanics:
Stage Select:
I think we should probably be a little more prepared before going after the Level 3 Dungeon with Death on the table, especially given the likely level of fortifications. Also you don't get to start with Fortress stages. So a vote against Hydrodam Fortress.
Getting our Airship up and running fast sounds like a useful idea, as does stocking up on supplies- both dungeons sound within our reach, as well.
Grace is interesting, but that feels like something we might want to have a little more preparation for, given the length.
So I'd lean strongly towards Sky-Dock and Station, mildly towards Grace, and against Fortress.

Exposure: It's impressive how fast we can burn through combats at x2 for exposure, but I think it might be worth trying x1.5 for a mission to see if that makes things too slow. I AM the only one who's gone down on our side so far, but I don't think I'd seriously object if we kept things at x2. We have a lot of options across our party to handle the high damage.

Terrain: Hunker Down is an Attack action, right? I never felt like I had a spare turn to use on it, especially given how fast we can put out damage by attacking. I'd consider it more as a Role action, for sure.

Retraining: I'm actually pretty happy with my Skills, and after the swap to the custom Stance, the only element of my Character Sheet I'm not too sure about is the Monstrous Appearance complication. While accurate, I'm not sure we'll have a ton of places to use it. But High Tension is really good for all sorts of places, so it's not a super urgent thing.
EDIT: As discussed, we'll swap out the Monstrous Appearance complication for something related to Hyenard's unique and non-optimal Bio Metal (lack of) integration.

ElegantFugue fucked around with this message at Mar 11, 2019 around 03:53

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!


Daisy Vivre
Command Deck

Condition: Normal
AP: 1
Downtime Units: 1/2

As Daisy, Task and SH leave the room, Daisy stops for a second. She wants to ask who else needs help, start figuring out what to do next, just try to talk about what the hell happened today. But she knows if she so much as turns around--sees the holes in the walls, gouges in the floor carved out by tornados, all the badly wounded people--she's not going to be able to focus on Hyenard.

It's triage.

"Soccer, huh?" She gives Hyenard her full attention, as her plants carry him away. "Cool. What's your favorite team?"

---
Medical Bay

"Repliforce..."

Daisy has made sure the room is clean, secure. The door is locked, her hands are washed. She's scrubbed up. Hyenard lies on the table before her. The tools and supplies she'll need are laid out on a tray nearby.

"I've never heard of it, but since you were talking about cells, doing training...I guess this world makes soldiers out of everyone."

She's already given him the sedative. He's probably not going to be able to follow what she's saying for much longer. But Daisy sings to plants; the same principle applies here.

"I mean, I wasn't made for combat, that's for sure. But the Legion can't seem to leave well enough alone, so...I fight."

She's examining the wound left by the shard more closely. Hyenard was right--it hadn't fallen in, or out. What it was doing was weird. But weirdness or not, it had still torn through his abdomen; that was damage that needed to be fixed before anything else.

"I'm a gardening reploid. Ruby's always telling me not to tell people I just met any more than that...so I won't." She has a tool in her hand; Hyenard doesn't remember her picking it up, and his vision is too blurry to see what it is.

"Instead, I'll tell you a totally unrelated story. Don't stop me if you've heard this one before, cause apparently it's been told enough, people went looking for the place. What did Onyx say they called it...right. This is the Tale of the--"

---
Overgrown Tomb

It's raining, and there's a forest. It's too thick with gnarled old trees to walk through, but Hyenard couldn't take another step anyway. But if his heart is pure, the path will open...

He has heard this story before. It's about a nymph, guarding the crypt of an ancient hero. King Arthur, or Zero, or something. Someone so revered that the tomb is covered in flowers, so no one knows who it is.

Everyone always describes the nymph in the story as forever young and beautiful. When she appears in front of Hyenard, though, he mistakes her for one of the trees. Her skin is bark-like, wrinkled. Ancient.

Without a word, she reaches into his chest, and pulls out his heart. This would be anatomically suspect, considering he's not humanoid, but it's a cartoon heart anyway: 💜

It's cracked. Pitted. It hangs in the air between her hands.

"Fear not," she says. Her voice has the same static fuzz that Daisy had, earlier, yelling at Dreyce to leave. But the static is musical, somehow. (Daisy is singing.)

"A broken heart is still just as pure."

The nymph's hands pass over it, and it's been filled with the purple-yellow substance he saw around his wound. Good as new. She presses it back into his chest.

The trees fold open. Hyenard sees that they lead to somewhere with flowers--rhododendrons, chrysanthemums, roses, acacia blossoms. (Daisy is describing them in more detail than anything else, as she tells the story.) He can see that there's a tomb, in the distance. It's entirely overgrown with plants, except for a plaque, too far away to make out. And--a beak?

And then his sleep becomes dreamless. (Daisy's now only humming, in concentration.) But he'll see this place again.

---
Medical Bay

"Well, I don't know what you are. But you were listening to all of that, weren't you?"

Hyenard is not, so far as Daisy can tell, awake. She's speaking into his now-repaired abdomen. "That's really interesting! Might as well get this off my chest, then."

She leans in, and whispers a secret to the bio-metal.

Hyenard opens his eyes a little later. He's on a hospital cat-bed. This place is very accommodating. Daisy, seeing him stir, is immediately next to him.

"Hey. You're going to be alright. I fixed everything up. The feather is still in you, though. It, well, melted. I think it's trying to integrate with your systems. It's responding to my power, so I can either speed that up...or remove it, if you want.

"But not tonight; we'll have to do it over the course of a few days. You need to rest. It'll feel like you have a fever for a bit--sorry. Maybe if I wasn't so tapped out..."

She pats his paw, leaving a little beeper in it. "Speaking of, I'm going to find a bed myself. Or a quiet corner to prop up in while I recharge. Push this button if you need me; it'll get me out of sleep mode. But only for emergencies. I'm not bringing you milk and cookies, okay?

"Get some rest. Gardener's orders."

With that, she leaves the room and starts looking for a berth.

Otherkinsey Scale fucked around with this message at Mar 11, 2019 around 16:50

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012



Spring Hyenard
Infected Condition -> Normal Condition
1 AP
1/2 Downtime actions used (Recovery with Daisy)

---
Command Deck

As Daisy ferries her patient away, he sheepishly admits, "the gang always cheered for the Dust Strikers, naturally- well, cheered or jeered, it's the Dust Strikers, so we obviously weren't watching to see the home team win... Dunno if you follow sports, but it's been, like, 500 years since the Dust Strikers had a good season. Not literally 500 years, but..." His brow furrows. "... Actually maybe it has been-?"

-
Medical Bay

Hyenard probably would've been a bit impressed with how effective Daisy's sedatives were, if he wasn't getting that impression via first-hand experience. Perhaps the stress and strain were helping wear him out, too. Either way, he starts to dip back into rambling as the gardening Reploid gets to work.

At the mention of Repliforce, he does manage to perk up a little. "Repliforce... right. They're a group, uh, forms cells to go on missions. Liiiiittle like an army? But not an Army, not really soldiers. Hawk does, uh, did work for security teams a lot though, but only because it's his job. We're not TRYING to fight, but we have to sometimes, because, y'know, sometimes people treat... the ones who look different, different? Even if we're the same inside."
If there was a moment's hesitation on Daisy's part at the question, Hyenard didn't pick it up in his stupored state.
"Repliforce wants to change that. Humans, Reploids, we're all alive and thinking and stuff. People shouldn't have to suffer just because they weren't made the same as everyone else. I wanted to help change that. I joined a Repliforce Cell. And... it... It's just me, now, I guess."

He settles down again as he finishes, and the sedatives continue their journey through his system.
"You don't look like a fighter, but you're good at it. Done a good job of adapting. I was made to crush trash, but yeah. In this world, we gotta fight sometimes, even if we weren't made to."

"You don't need to tell me your secrets, don't worry," he mumbles, "I'll call you gardering- uh- gardner- gardenering Reploid if y'want." His eyes drift downwards. "B'sides, I got secrets too. Like, Replif'rce. I'm not supposed to mention I'm in..."
Too tired to ramble further, he listens to Daisy's tale in peace.

-
Overgrown Tomb

IHCO̷J͡PA͞T8B̛L#

IHCOJPAT8BL#

INCOMPATIBLE

It's not a word, but Hyenard feels something of a... concept that he can understand. Mismatched wires, creeping vine-wires across the tomb unable to merge with the beak, unable to be merged with by the beak.
"... Hawk?" How does something without sound, sound like someone else's voice?

INCOMPATIBLE
It feels like a strain to even grasp this much. The vines are fraying, the beak is moving completely out of time with the not-words coming in Recon Hawk's not-voice.
"I can't... What's incompatible?"

WE̴ C͞Q̧NNƠT̢ MEVG҉E. ̧I͢ CA҉BM̷O͞T ̸R̢E͘T&RN.̨ ̀PL͘DA͘S̶E̛ ͜H͠WL͞P͏ ̷M͝R. ͞P̢Ĺ#̢QSE̶?
H̷WL͡P
HELP
H̷WL͡PH̷WL͡P-

"You're... not Hawk? I can't understand you. It's like... like you're speaking in static." He shakes his head, and steps forward towards the beak. "I can hear... 'help?' Are you offering, or asking? C-Calm down, now you're just fast static, I can't keep up with-"
His hand reaches up and clasps around his chest, feeling a purple-yellow pulsation where he-
"-! The feather! You're... What are... You're the Bio Metal...?"

-H̷WL͡PH̷WL͡PH̷WL͡PH̷WL͡PH̷WL͡PH̷WL͡PH̷WL͡P-
"Nngh!" Hyenard clenches a fist, trying to push the feeling down, stop it writhing inside him. "C-Calm down, I can't- I can't help you if I don't know- what do you WANT?"

And just like that, the static ends. The beak freezes motionless. The pulsation ceases.

"... All right. I... think you're alive? And in pain, or at least uncomfortab-"
H̷WL͡P-
"OKAY yes," Hyenard grunts, wincing again as a brief pain shoots through his frame. "Got it. Okay. I don't really know what's going on, but, if you promise to stop hurting me for a bit... You can stay until you DO know what you want, how's that work?"

The beak moves up and down, as if trying out word-concepts, while a distant hum of static seems to convey hurried thoughts.
HELP
"Yeah. I'll help. Just please stop the stabbing-pain thing, it-"
HELP
There was something different about the last concept's expression. It felt sort of, for lack of a better word, inverted.
"... You'll... help me, too?"
HELP
"... If you want, sure. Thanks. I think. But what would you help me wi-"

-
Medical Bay

"-ngth?" Hyenard garbles, his eyes peeking open, then fluttering wide. The shift from the bizarre otherworldly tomb and beak to the med bay felt both seamless and completely jarring. But, at least he doesn't feel that sharp stabbing pain in his chest, so-

"Hey. You're going to be alright. I fixed everything up. The feather is still in you, though. It, well, melted. I think it's trying to integrate with your systems. It's responding to my power, so I can either speed that up...or remove it, if you want.

"But not tonight; we'll have to do it over the course of a few days. You need to rest. It'll feel like you have a fever for a bit--sorry. Maybe if I wasn't so tapped out..."

Hyenard stares up at Daisy as she speaks, his brow furrowing repeatedly over the course of her update. "No, no rush, sorry, I- I didn't say anything weird in my sleep, did I?"

He looks down at the off-color patch melded into his upper chassis, and gingerly touches it with a claw. There's no sensation of bodily contact, as if he were touching his finger against a wall or table. "I think... I think it wants to... stay? It felt scared of something. Desperate for some kind of... I dunno. It didn't exactly speak clearly, but..."


After Daisy has left, he looks back down at his new chest marking. "So, that dream, that was... real? Are you actually IN there, alive and Nngh!"
He manages to catch himself just before his claws grasp the bed with excessive force.
"Okay okay remember the thing about not hurting me, please, gah. Do you not have ANY other way of communicating with me besides- Mmph okay understood please stop- thank you."
In the interest of not compacting anything on accident, he slowly moves his arms away from anything breakable.
"Do you think you could maybe instead try, I dunno, something like a tenth of that intensity? Is that doabl- mpf, okay, yes. Yeah. I can handle that. Just try to keep to that intensity, please. I can feel that, but it's not crippling. So, you want to stay in me? And do... something to help me? I guess, uh, ouch once for yes, ouch twice for no?
"Ack. ... Okay. All right then. We'll sort out whatever rent it is you plan to pay later, when we're able to communicate through non-violence. I guess that'll have to do for now."

---

Mechanics:
Awarding my bonus AP for the session to Daisy, she's adorable and vibrant, and Hyenard's had some neat scenes with her this session.

Swapping my "Monstrous Appearance" complication for "Bio Metal Toxicosis".

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005



Polar Barrier
Airship Bar



"We really, uh... Well... Sorry we made such a mess of this place." Polar Barrier says as he helps Task bag up the last of the screws, bolts, broken glass and detritus. He heaves three large trashbags over his shoulder and they begin walking down the corridors to the disposal & reclamation chutes.

"What were you hoping to find here anyway?" Task pipes up as PB tosses the black bags into the chute marked DISPOSAL and begins sorting the white bag's contents into the proper receptacles.

"Our legion contact must've fed us some bad information. I was expecting to meet up with them on the ship - said they had a lead on the whereabouts of Krate McKraken's remains." He sighs a long steamy hiss and glumly feeds a few cans into the tube. "It pains my core thinking they may 'ave gotten murked hunting down leads for us... But the only alternative is... even worse."

"Worse?" Task asks, tensing up. "How?"

"If our contact flipped, there's no telling what the Legion knows by now."

Polar Barrier's mind wanders to dissident safehouses, ciphers and skullduggery as they return to the bar. He is shaken from his trance by the sound of an ice cold can of E. Task slides it over the counter and cracks open one of his own.

"Thank you, comrade," Polar Barrier says, tapping cans with the reploid bartender.

"Thanks for helping clean up," Task replies, and drinks with Polar. A few silent beats go by as the pseudoroid wrestles with his next sentence.

"I feel I must give you fair warning, Task... this violence has just begun." The bartender's face fills with concern as Polar goes on. "This boat will not lay idle for long, and whether my associates and I leverage it unto vengeance or profit the fight will surely find us again soon." At this point Polar Barrier had begun to draw the eyes of the bar's patrons and staff. "Already plans are brewing for the next mission. If you choose to stay, the Legion will see you as one of us - and so will I."

"If you -" Polar looks around, noticing that he had the attention of the nearby civilians "- if ANY of you - value your safety... I cannot recommend that you stay aboard this vessel."

"And if -" he stops himself, and shakes his head.

"If what?" Task asks.

Polar Barrier sheepishly produces a handful of pamphlets. "If you wanna know more about our cause, i have some literature i would be happy to share."


----------

1/2 Downtime actions used (cleaning up our mess, engaging with task and civilians)
I aim to recruit those who are sympathetic and frighten away those who should probably not be on the boat anymore.

If nobody else wants to fight flak mackerel as much as i do then i guess my second choice is rotary skydock.

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at Mar 12, 2019 around 19:48

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014



Task looks down, thinks for a minute, then nods.
"You're keeping the ship?" She ask, and then,
"So you'll need a pilot." She winks, "I know this ship better than you, and I doubt you've every had any flying lessons... Heck, can your paws even handle the control pad?"

the remaining passengers are less resolute, some admit that they were unhappy under the legion anyways, that they'd prefer this path. A few of them are craftsmen who have had their businesses shut down or threatened by the legion, a few of them attempted to refuse the eqality surgery, and some have been artificially hiding their age, having somehow been passed on retirement.

Most however, reqest the option to leave. They know things aren't great, but they have families to think about, or didn't ask for this, or any number of reasons that one could have for not wanting to be a fugitive. Among them are the original Command Deck crew, who nearly died more than enough for their lifetime, thank you very much.

You guys accumulate supplies and wealth, shops will open up in the ship. Upgrades to the ship will allow larger or more impressive shops.

The people who wish to leave require you either touch down (risky) or expend one of the lifeboats Spring Henard will be able to repair.

Moriatti fucked around with this message at Mar 12, 2019 around 21:28

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!


Ruby Rhapsody
Command Deck
Ruby scoops up Dreyce as carefully as she can. Given that she just accepted responsibility for his continued existence by not destroying him, she decides to get him into a holding area and patched up as soon as possible. Same place as the other Legion troops.

...This is gonna be real awkward, but I guess I would be the one best suited for chatting with these Legion sorts. That and it means I give everyone else time to process the whole "Hey guys I was totally Legion and likely engaged your allies at some point" thing. Still, won't be as awkward as the talk I'm about to have with Dreyce.

Impromptu Brig

After getting Dreyce stapled together and stable, Ruby addresses the captive elephants in the room: the Legion troops. She's put away her weaponry for now in an attempt to be less inherently spooky, and tries her best to put on a brave face.

"Let's get this out of the way. You know who we are, and that there's a bounty on us. If you ditch and go back to the Legion you'll probably get chastised and then immediately let back in. And that's fine. I get that you have your reasons to stay, just like I had my reasons to leave the Legion. But let's look at it this way: you've had personal experience dealing with us. You're going to get assigned to any outpost the Legion expects us to assault, and there's no guarantee either of us will be able to back down and take prisoners at that point. So let's work something out, something that benefits all of us."

A Heart-to-Heart

Once the negotiations have settled one way or the other, Ruby awaits news of Dreyce regaining consciousness. As soon as he starts to stir, she races back over to address him.

Alright, Ruby, you've got no idea what to expect. He could be angry, he may have actually cooled off, or he's going to be very out of sorts. Either way, if you're going to make this work you're going to have to put your best foot forward and be a confidant for him. Deep breath, don't twitch, and...

"Hey there. Still with us, Dreyce? Sorry if you're held together a little more...hastily, than we'd have wanted, but all your important bits should still be intact. But seriously. Talk to me. I want to hear what you've been thinking about, and what you want to do going forward. It...really is the least I can do after digging at you over and over until you broke in more ways than one."

----------------------------------------------------

I'm in favor of both combat changes without question. No retrains in mind thus far really either. As for selecting a stage, Ruby would personally want to go to either Occupied Grace or Venomrail Station as they both are directly involved with civilians and she'd rather not directly engage a Legion-made territory right now.

Also, this is Downtime Action 1.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005



Moriatti posted:

Task looks down, thinks for a minute, then nods.
"You're keeping the ship?" She ask, and then,
"So you'll need a pilot." She winks, "I know this ship better than you, and I doubt you've every had any flying lessons... Heck, can your paws even handle the control pad?"

"Oh, I'm sure I could -" Polar barrier looks down at his humongous mitts, and frowns.

"Hm."

----------
I have no strong feelings about exposure severity, as i will still be the most durable person in the room regardless of our decision.
I'm never going to have a surplus of Role actions to go around but I don't mind if we use them for terrain stuff.
I accept Task as new pilot unless someone else in the party wants to step up to the wheel, and I don't mind if the civilians want to use an escape pod.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014



There's a moment of silence before Jack speaks up, "Yeah, but we'll know it's you next time. I haven't taken you in a fair fight yet."
A Negotiations or Leadership roll attached to your plea will likely be useful here.

Unknown Quantity posted:

A Heart-to-Heart
Dreyce doesn't even make eye contact, doesn't grimace or smile, but continues staring at the ceiling.
"If I die, do you think these parts will burn out before I do?"


Task laughs,
"I'm only kidding, we could hook you up with the interface, I may need you to help that way too, since I'm only in-training. Was only in training..."
She trails off for a second before looking back up,
"So where do we want to go? The Nav.Dex should have most legion coordinates listed, and I do know how to manually enter coordinates."

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!


Dr. Mann
0 AP

So it looks like me and these young'uns are keeping this airship, after all. It's fair enough, considering all the trouble that its last owners gave us, and it seems like the least worst option, so it's probably the way to go.
That being said, this place is an absolute mess. Even ignoring the damage that Storm Eagle or whoever he was did, this place hasn't gotten a good tune-up in a long, LONG while. Can't expect much better from those screthumbed Legion fools! I managed to patch up SE's damage, but we're a long way from getting it fixed.

I also poke about in the airship's database for information on our next possible target. I can keep this hunk of junk flying for as long as we need to... probably. But we're not getting anywhere without supplies. I am running really low on nanobots.

I got a 3 in my roll to repair the base and a 4 in my Computer roll to search for information on the Venomrail Station.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014



Dr. Mann is able to find information on a prototype helmet that replicates it's user's energy signals being shipped from Venomrail Station.

you've discovered evidence of a Helmet Slot item that breaks in exchange for a second encounter power within said encounter. Sparkplug can confirm this if confronted on it.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011



Sawyer

Hrrm, the others seem to be intent on keeping this ship and using it to wreak havoc on the Legion. Probably. Well, this is something that Sawyer can live with and approve, as perhaps he may get to find more clues of Lord Sigma's location if he hangs out with those itty bitty reploids. He spends most of his downtime carrying around large steel plates and scrap from the destroyed turret and other junk and trying to tape over and rivet it atop the structural damage that the airship has taken. It seems the small doctor guy keeps yelling at him while he does that, but Sawyer knows that whatever tiny paste he is using for the repairs isn't going to fix gashes that big!

Tried to do some taping over the ship damages using Amazing Strength and rolled a 2, tried to learn Scavenging and failed

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!


Ruby Rhapsody
1 out of 2 Downtime actions complete.

Impromptu Brig

"I think it's safe to say your would-be ambush wasn't exactly a 'fair fight,' yes. I can scarcely imagine how things would go if you weren't getting the drop on us." She rolls her eyes. "Speaking of which, how's about you let us know how and why you managed to get us all in one location and what your goals were by doing so? Y'know, besides 'destroy some rogue agents.' It's not like it matters to you all any more."

A Heart-to-Heart

"You're thinking about this the wrong way. What lasts longer than our human bodies and these hunks of chrome jammed into us? The legacy and impact on the world we leave behind. Legends don't die: they just await the day someone happens upon them again. Someone who manages to make a tree sapling grow in their lifetime won't be remembered, but the forest they put all the effort into nurturing definitely will. Certainly explains how I came across my botanist friend." As gently as she can, Ruby pats Dreyce on the shoulder. "Anyway...think about the mark you wanna leave on this world. I'll come back when you can crane your neck." She stands up and starts to leave.
------------------------------------------------

I got a 6 on my Negotiation roll here to get some information along with turning some folks around.

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012



Spring Hyenard
Normal Condition
1 AP
2/2 Downtime actions used (Retrofitting the Airship for inhabitation)

---
General Airship Barracks Room


It doesn't take long at all for Hyenard to get bored with spending all day in bed, but by the time he's feeling well enough to walk around again, repairs and reconstruction have already begun- and by Dr. Mann, at that. Hyenard's prior experiences with the highly-competent-but-very-blunt doctor lead him to believe that trying to work side-by-side with the doctor is a task best left until after a full recovery. Besides, the giant sawblade dinosaur is already, uh... helping? Or at least doing things in the same general area.

Instead, he gets to work on some internal remodeling. If the airship is going to be serving as a mobile base of operations for the group and anyone they pick up along the way, everyone's gonna need to sleep, and eat, and train, and so on. Thankfully, one of the Storage Bays ends up being quite well-positioned for conversion. Enlisting a few of the more able-bodied recruits to the cause, it doesn't take long at all to arrange some entirely reasonable barracks. The movement and activity give him a good chance to adjust to his own new passenger, but in his mind, the real benefit was the discovery of a pile of Hazardous Material labels and markings off in a corner- several of which were put to immediate use marking up barrels and crates around the Airship.

---


Rolling Scavenge Scrap at Skilled to try to re-organize some rooms to better suit their new purposes as Airship living quarters for a crew of revolutionaries.
[5:24 PM] Elegant (Hyenard): /roll 1d6
[5:24 PM] BOTSidekick: @Elegant (Hyenard): 1d6 = (5) = 5
Success without bonus or cost.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014



Unknown Quantity posted:

Impromptu Brig

One of the Reploids rises with a start
"You just got lu-"
"She's right, Axel, and you know it." Sparkplug sighs,
"This was supposed to be my break into the big time, y'know? Metadata let us know there was something big going down and we could pinpoint a resistance head..." he looks over at his crew,
"Model-SE decided this was his chance too. Insisted on running the op and... Well, I'm not sure how you won if we're being honest, but I'm sure you saw how... persuasive he can be. If he made a proper retreat, I'm certain he's getting all of the credit for nabbing her..."

Unknown Quantity posted:

A Heart-to-Heart

"My legacy... Heh, that was supposed to be..." Dreyce passes out mid phrase, his face betraying no emotion.

Dreyce isn't suicidal anymore at least, but that's likely all you can get out of him during this downtime.


"I want to thank you."
It would've been hard to hear Task approaching over the sound of the heavy construction.
"You... You have done nothing but help me since... Well since this all happened." She smiles, then pulls a flower from one of her apron pockets.
"This was left from Daisy during one of your battles, it's very similar to a flower that grows near my home. I want you to have it."

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!


Starting off with the housekeeping:

Downtime action: Spending downtime action 2 to come up with a Dual Tech with Ruby. And/or get rolling on a new mini-greenhouse.

Action Point: I'm awarding my point to Spring Hyenard. Even before seriously stepping up the game with these last few posts, SH has gotten lots of lovely character moments along the way. I'm still chuckling at "Did I just hear you ask, 'excuse me, room full of highly qualified and drunk remodeling experts, but could you all please build me a new doorway here in place of my old blast wall?'"

Mission: After considering, I'm voting for Venomrail Station. From an out of character perspective, we should get up to level 2 as fast as possible, and that's the quickest and safest way to do so. Plus, stocking up is important; we need fuel and fire right now. Most importantly, I really want to do a train heist. Rotary Sky-Station is a close second. It's riskier, but it has what we need. Overall I'd put fortifying our base as our most immediate priority.

Retraining: For feats, swapping out Superhuman for Lucky. It suits Daisy, and having an extra defense like that is important considering I'm both a healer and vulnerable to multiple damage types. For complications: Fugitive is out, Overwhelmed is in. "Fugitive" isn't a unique descriptor to Daisy anymore, plus it would only come up in the same kind of situations her other complication would.

Terrain feature actions: I think moving around cover and otherwise interacting with terrain as a role action is a great idea--it's a cool way to use a spare role action when you don't need to Assess. Hunker Down should stay an attack action, though--Disadvantage on incoming attacks is a benefit that outweighs many other uses of a role action. It should be for situations where defending yourself is more important than getting a hit in.


---

Daisy Vivre
Cargo Hold
AP: 1
Condition: Normal
Downtime Actions: 2/2

Daisy eventually wandered down to the cargo hold, and lay down on her bags. Mostly full of dresses, seed packets, and books. She doesn't own a lot of stuff, but she didn't want to leave anything behind. She wrote a quick note: "This daisy is wilting, and needs to be left alone! Do not touch. If I'm not awake by tomorrow evening, get Ruby."

She hesitates for a moment--she's been avoiding sleep as much as she could for the last three months, ever since she went to sleep and almost didn't wake up again. Then, she sets her sleep mode to last for about 18 hours, and activates it. If she were human, she'd have been kept up by something Hyenard said.

He called me a good fighter...why does that make me so...mad? Not at him, but...

--
Observation Deck
The Next Day

"--now that I've slept on it," Daisy's telling Ruby, "I realized I was mad at myself. Weird, right?"

Daisy has claimed what seems like a mid-sized observation room, just above the engines. She's unpacking as she speaks, turning it into both her bedroom and a mini-greenhouse. Several discarded containers have been filled with dirt and seeded. The engine heat is good for her plants, as is the sunlight coming through the windows. Ruby is there because Daisy asked her to help remodel.

"But that's because--you remember, when you found me? I um." She's fidgeting with a hand rake. "Looking back, I realize that I just...when they turned off the power, I just..."

She fidgets so hard that the rake snaps off. "Darn it! Well, it's not like I needed that, we're indoors." She laughs.

"Anyway. I didn't fight then. Or for 400 years, even though I knew horrible things were happening just outside my little dome. I'll never be like that again." Daisy clenches her hands in their garden gloves. "I'll--I'll fight! Even if it means going through a day like yesterday, I won't just try to hide away."

She pats the airship walls. "That's why I like this place. I can have my greenhouse, and still travel to different places. It's perfect! I'm staying, I think. What about you?"

"Oh, and...so far, I've been following your lead on everything I don't really get, and that includes fighting." As she says this, a lightbulb goes off in her head. "Wait, that gives me an idea. But hold that thought for now."

"But if I'm going to keep fighting, I have to understand. What made you decide to spare Dreyce?" Though her words are blunt, her tone is genuinely curious, not judgmental.

---
Barracks Room

"Evening! Hey, how're you feeling? Better not be overworking yourself down here."

It's later in the day when Daisy catches up with Hyenard. Immediately, she throws herself into decorating while she chats with him. Draping vines here and there. Turning small, discarded containers into vases. She is living for this.

"So I was just talking to Ruby, and I remembered what you said why you fight. About wanting to stop people treating others differently because of how they look? It's kinda funny, actually: I hadn't thought about it, but I just realized that if I'd been created today, I probably would've been labeled a 'pseudodroid' before I transitioned."

She's etching floral patterns into a bannister as she talks.

"Well, maybe. Either way, even though I was still the same person, people treated me totally different afterwards! Which was great for me--well, mostly. But that doesn't help anyone else, you know? And I didn't transition so people would think I was cute or whatever--I did it because of, y'know, the dysphoria. It would've been way better if people were good to me however I looked, or at least if they'd known I was a girl."

"But that was a long time ago." She adds the last details onto a lily. "My point is, you're right. Making it so people won't get stomped down when they try to grow, just because they're different? That's worth fighting for."

She admires her handiwork. "Love what we've done with this place."

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!


Ruby Rhapsody
2nd of 2 downtime actions started.

Impromptu Brig
"Who's 'her?' She this resistance head? And actually, 'Model SE' is right next door, more or less held together with staples, stitches and most of this ship's stores of antibiotic gel. About to pay him a visit actually. How's about you all piece together some documentation for us to follow up on about this and, whether staying or going, hanging out around here for a bit? Thanks." She excuses herself from the place and visits Dreyce. The meet goes surprisingly well (and has already been covered), and from there she finds herself sitting down against a wall, draping a small blanket over herself, and heading to sleep.

Observation Deck
The Next Day


Daisy posted:

"--now that I've slept on it," Daisy's telling Ruby, "I realized I was mad at myself. Weird, right?"

"I'll say. You're not really the type to get mad at all. You surprised me just as much as you surprised Dreyce."

Ruby continued to assist in moving the pots and sacks of soil about while Daisy worked on the delicate items. Heavy lifting and hanging around Daisy really did sum up a sizable portion of the relationship between the two. Ever since she more or less took on the role of the botanybot's bodyguard (and pro bono, at that!), there's never really been opportunity for aggression. Typically Daisy either hung out in the support vehicle with Onyx or kept a healthy distance while Ruby cleaved through whatever was in the way. There'd be scratches, scrapes, bruises, but nothing as hard-hitting as 'Model SE.' Maybe that was the impetus for this.

Daisy posted:

"But that's because--you remember, when you found me? I um." She's fidgeting with a hand rake. "Looking back, I realize that I just...when they turned off the power, I just..."

Ruby nods: she remembers it pretty well. This was one of those mercenary jobs that involved guarding a bunch of barely-armed scavengers. 'What we're looking for could benefit everyone,' was their lead: that was that there was a means to put some real green back into even the most barren of soils, locked away in what used to be some sort of self-contained ecosystem. Didn't go quite as planned, but she gained a friend.

Daisy posted:

"Anyway. I didn't fight then. Or for 400 years, even though I knew horrible things were happening just outside my little dome. I'll never be like that again." Daisy clenches her hands in their garden gloves. "I'll--I'll fight! Even if it means going through a day like yesterday, I won't just try to hide away."

"Never thought I'd see the day when the person I'm supposed to bodyguard wants to contribute. Sure, maybe on the next d--"

Daisy posted:

She pats the airship walls. "That's why I like this place. I can have my greenhouse, and still travel to different places. It's perfect! I'm staying, I think. What about you?"

Aaaaaand there's the real curveball. On the one hand, I really shouldn't be getting further involved, considering I'm supposed to just be a Digger who moonlights as a Maverick Hunter now, but on the other hand, Onyx would probably be a fan of a rustbucket like this, and it's an upgrade from the car...

She throws up her hands in a shrug. "...Well, I can't very well leave you until my contract's complete." She then laughs, dropping the act. "Seriously though. The well's dried up on new ruins at the moment, so I may as well stay on. Plus maybe we'll still have a chance at finding what we came here for."

Daisy posted:

"But if I'm going to keep fighting, I have to understand. What made you decide to spare Dreyce?"

Ruby puts her hand up to her chin in thought, grimacing as she just punched herself in the mouth somewhat but shaking it off. Why did she do that? "Well, when he first showed up I had every intention of destroying him. I thought he was some punk who joined just to have access to stronger weaponry and destroy whatever he wanted. But as I kept digging around for answers, it became real clear he wasn't too far off from me."

She picks up the pace to put down a sack of potting soil as her right arm has entered another fit of spasms. "Shoved full of chrome I didn't want and unable to be useful or impactful in the way I wanted to be." She clenches her fist and makes an attempt at containing the seizure. "So I rolled the dice on the hopes I wouldn't cave his skull in, and now I'm hoping to help the guy find a new and more self-fulfilling purpose."

After the metaphorical glitch in the system resolves itself, Ruby puts on a small smile. "Anyway, that's all there was to it. Now can I stop holding that thought for you?"

--------------------------------------

AP goes to Dr Mann for enabling the wing-clipping that turned the Dreyce fight around

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012



Spring Hyenard
Normal Condition
1 AP +1 (Thank you Daisy!)
2/2 Downtime actions used

---

Glancing up from the metal sheet he'd just folded in half, Hyenard gawks for a moment, then extends a hand to accept the flower.
"I, uh... Th-Thank you. It's the least we could've done- you didn't ask to give Legion a black eye, you were just working the wrong shift at the wrong bar."
He slowly closes his clawed grasp around the stem of the flower, feeling it in his palm.
"I can't speak for the others, but, I choose this path because I wanted to try to make the world a better place. And, well, that starts with the people in it, right?"
After a moment's pause for thought, Hyenard carefully slides the flower's stem into a slight curl of metal at the border of his Bio Metal-filled chest wound. It nestles a little loosely, but well enough to stay in. He looks back up at Task and smiles.
"Hopefully, when this is all over, we can get you back to that home, safe and sound."

-



"Heya, Daisy! Well enough to be up and about, yeah. Thank you again for helping with, uh, pretty much everything." He takes a moment to line up his arm before continuing. It creaks slightly as it coils up, then SPROINGs out to drive in a large nail. "This is mostly just a lighter version of my usual day to day routine, it's a good way for me to ease back into things, I think."

The company and decorative assistance are much appreciated- Hyenard's got little experience with improving the form of things rather than just their function, but he does his best to keep the barracks sturdy while affording places for Daisy to adorn them with plants or markings.

His efforts slow somewhat as Daisy's discussion moves towards her former life. It takes him a moment to figure out how he wants to respond. "This place cleaned up a lot nicer than I expected, yeah. I think the crew will like it. And, long time ago or not, congratulations on the transition. People need to be able to feel comfortable in their own bodies. I can't speak from experience- I've always been a spring Pseudodroid, I can't imagine a fully-humanoid body for myself- but trying to imagine being stuck in a chassis that doesn't match my own mind is... Well, I'm really glad you've found a form that lets you be 'you.' Because you're pretty great."

He offers her an outstretched palm to shake.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014



ElegantFugue posted:

"Hopefully, when this is all over, we can get you back to that home, safe and sound."

Task nods, here eyes forward at Hyenard, but her gaze is somewhere... Some... When else.
"I... Yeah, that would be nice."
She shakes her head and looks at Hyenard directly.
"Oh, I have to check out the controls, sorry!"
And so she leaves.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005



Polar Barrier
Airship Flight Deck


A big icy mitt descends onto the steel plate sawyer is holding. "You look like you could use a hand." Polar barrier adjusts the plating slightly, and presses it to the wall.

"There - hold this a moment." He steps away, and returns moments later with a rivet gun. "This should do the trick," he says, planting a rivet into the steel plating. He holds the gun daintily in his hand like a teacup as he gingerly rivets about the perimeter of the plate.

"Ebenezer," Polar calls, waving at the Doctor. "Perhaps you could help direct our efforts!"

---------

The three of them work together to patch up the holes in the hull - with Sawyer scavenging plates and scraps, Polar riveting them into place and Dr Mann administering reparative paste to the seams. After a few hours of work (and a brief, playful rivetgun-fight) the trio manage to leave the hull looking better than it had when they started.

"Thank you, comrades," Polar Barrier says, resting his elbow on a nearby pallet and issuing an appreciate gout of steam. "The three of us have succeeded at the task which bested us alone." He pats a hand on Ebenezer's shoulder, and briefly reaches for Sawyer before the pseudoroid's snapping maw gives him second thoughts.

"Come -" Polar offers, "The living quarters have undergone renovations whilst we worked. Let's go see if we can claim a space for you before all the big rooms are taken."

---------------

2/2 Downtime actions used (assisting with hull repairs)
Skilled Construction check, rolling a 4 gets me success (or brings mann's roll up to a 4)

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at Mar 16, 2019 around 19:13

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!


Daisy Vivre

Barracks Room
Condition: Normal
AP: 2
Downtime used: 2/2

"I'm definitely going to have to give you a manicure, bud. May I offer you a hug instead?" If Hyenard says yes, she immediately tackles him, laughing. Otherwise she enthusiastically, albeit carefully, shakes his outstretched paw.

It's always important to ask first, and Daisy's very glad she knew that before she met Ruby.

---

Daisy's Room
(she hung up a sign on the door, it's official now)

Unknown Quantity posted:

"I'll say. You're not really the type to get mad at all. You surprised me just as much as you surprised Dreyce."

"I surprised me! But he was so proud of hurting people. He hurt you." Daisy shakes her head. "And he thought the rest of us were...nothing."

quote:

She throws up her hands in a shrug. "...Well, I can't very well leave you until my contract's complete." She then laughs, dropping the act. "Seriously though. The well's dried up on new ruins at the moment, so I may as well stay on. Plus maybe we'll still have a chance at finding what we came here for."

"Oh? Should've gotten that in writing." Daisy giggles. "I'm glad, though."

"Whether or not we find what we were looking for--even if it was a lie, someone knew enough to come up with that lie. I have no idea how they could've known about my 'older siblings', but if that information's out there, that's worth finding on its own. And hey--if they knew about that, they probably have a lead on some otherwise unknown ruins, right?"

quote:

After the metaphorical glitch in the system resolves itself, Ruby puts on a small smile. "Anyway, that's all there was to it. Now can I stop holding that thought for you?"

"Oh, it's not that heavy!" As Ruby had explained her decision, Daisy's mood darkened as she contemplated it. But her typical high spirits return as soon as Ruby manages that smile.

"Thank you for explaining. You made a much better choice than I could have." Daisy walks to the back of the room, and starts rummaging through a yet-unpacked bag as she speaks. "Because I thought about it a lot--what I'd do if I met someone like him. But you can't substitute thought for experience! And even then, everyone uses their experiences differently." She bends down, digging a little deeper. Looking for something obscure, but essential.

"For instance, like you said, you went through exactly what Dreyce did. But you only use your strength to protect people, as much as you can. The world needs more of that! It's worth cultivating." She produces a pair of small bracelets, bounces over to Ruby, and holds out one to her.

"And cultivation is my specialty!"

Then she explains her idea in detail. Then they practice.

No one's gonna see this coming.

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012



Spring Hyenard
Normal Condition
2 AP
2/2 Downtime actions used

---

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

Daisy Vivre
Barracks Room
"A mani-? Oh! Right, heh." He sheepishly rubs the back of his neck with his other hand. "I mean, they come in handy, but, that's pretty fair. Sure, a hug is- whoa!"
He chuckles as he carefully hugs her back. He's a trash compactor, but unlike Ruby, he's got a non-crush setting too. He can't do much about the clinging and clanging of springs, though, aside from making sure people don't get caught between them when he moves.


Shortly after Daisy has stepped away to further enflower the airship, with Hyenard still staring after her, one of the canid Pseudodroids takes a moment to drop the metal sheet it had been carrying in its maw to pointedly note, "Nobody ever asks ME if I want a hug, you know." It quickly grabs it back up again and starts dragging the soon-to-be-makeshift-wall over towards a Reploid carrying a small blowtorch.
Hyenard stares at the quadruped for a moment. "... Is that... Are you complaining about nobody hugging you, or the concept of hugging in general?"

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!


Dr. Mann
0 AP

I am going to award my AP to Sawyer, who has been consistently funny throughout all of this.
I don't know enough about the system to make suggestions on what to keep and what to change, so I'll just abstain from voting, except for the idea of using role actions to interact with terrain. That sounds intriguing.
As for retraining, I will swap Fragile with Brusque, as it makes more sense.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011



Sawyer

AP:0


Sawyer grunts at Polar's friendly approach but crosses his claws. "SHIP... STILL WEAK. WHY NOT FIND ANOTHER. SAWYER KNOWS WHEN THEY READY TO CRASH." He follows them towards the bunks, and scans around for the largest and more empty place to stay. During his former days as a scrapyard guardian/worker, he usually slept covered outside of the buildings due to his size, but as one of Lord Sigma's guards, he finally had gotten his own quarters at a large warehouse... And it has been quite a while since he was awakened from his hibernation that he found quarters to call his. "...PROTECT PLACE IF WEAK."

Awarding my AP to Daisy. Why? Because she's adorable. Also I'm voting for Venomrail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014



Command Deck

"We're circling in now, almost at the drop point." Task helpfully chimes as the ship lurches hard to it's side.
"Uh... Sorry, still learning."

"It's fine, I needed to calibrate my stabilizers anyways." Bobo sighs, "Ok while we're enroute why don't we run over the mission one more time."

Sparkplug lights up, and activates the holo-map, "Oh yeah! I'm proud of this one!" A model of the station and several trains and tracks appear.

"Entry points are the civillian entrance or this..." One of the sections of the station highlights as yellow, "disguised guard entrance.
Either will get you to the Routing Center, which is the primary target. The civilian entrance obviously has more bystanders who could get harmed, but the guard entrance is well... Guarded." He looks around at you guys.
"My codes theoretically should work but I don't really want them knowing I'm willingly aiding you guys so I made this..." He produces a hodgepodge gadget with various plugs and keyboards poking out of it.
"If any of you are any good at hacking, this should make getting through those doors easier, since it uses Dreyce and my own clearances as blueprints to run the crack."
Bobo, Lugnut and Talonseeker share a nervous glance when Dreyce is mentioned; they had been chosen to guard his cell during the mission.

"Once inside the Routing Center, figure out where those supplies are being rerouted (and make sure fuel for our ship is among them) and radio back to us, we'll rendevouz with you along the way, once you've commandeered the train or car in question."

He looks to the group for approval,
"At least, that's how I mapped it out."

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • Post
  • Reply
«4 »