Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
Daisy Vivre
Airship Bar

Daisy's first three hours on the airship were wonderful. She spent a lot of time looking out windows, watching clouds, having never seen them from this angle before. She also chatted with the bartender and, of course, her new friends. She knew they were uneasy, and understandably so--but her own excitement was largely unblunted. She'd never been in the sky before!

Of course, even the brightest mood can be dampened somewhat by smoke seeping into the room, the exit being blocked, and a squad of attack robots. That smoke was showing up in the infrared spectrum of her vision, which was unusual--and frustrating, since it meant she couldn't rely on that to see through it. Still, it wasn't all bad: the enemy was totally bunched up at the door...

Moriatti posted:

You now sit back and think of your invite for this mission, the mysterious contact put you off, but they offered help on something you've all but given up on finding, and some good money. Perhaps too good. (please specify what this is)

Someone told Daisy that DVN002 was still alive, somewhere, and they could tell her where. Her father had been dead and gone for centuries, but could she still have siblings? She'd never known his other creations, but hearing that, she realized how much that connection would mean to her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Daisy Vivre
Airship Bar

Daisy reacts quickly, taking cover behind the table, to the right of her new ursine friend and to the left of her pal Ruby. She fires a scattering of seeds and bathes them in a light green beam, and suddenly there's a dense field of flowers and vines in the middle of the airship. Thorns dig into the hindmost enemy's legs; for the enemy, retreat is now practically out of the question, and advancing isn't looking too likely either.

She also takes a moment to look around--there's clearly more to this ambush than meets the eye, and perhaps if she focuses she can pick out moving heat signatures out from behind the thermal chaff. She relays her findings to her teammates: [insert Assess results here.]

There's a stray glass on the table in front of her. "Cheers!" she says, with a wink at Ruby, and downs it.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Daisy Vivre
Airship Bar

10/10 HP
0 AP
0 Strikes

ElegantFugue posted:

By the time Hyenard's bounced back behind the table, the sounds of piercing metal and grinding blades are already filling his ears again. He glances back to see the rather visceral death of a Legion goon via impalement, and the distinct unease with which the remaining soldiers are doing the same.
"For heck's sake, give 'em a chance to surrender already," he shouts across the room.

"He's got a point!" Daisy says. "Y-

Ignite Memories posted:

He launches another icicle claw, burying it into one of the remaining robots. His low snarl promises additional icicles are soon to follow.

Daisy does a double take, and begins speaking more urgently.

"Please surrender! At this point you can't run, you can't hide, and you definitely can't win."

Roses bloom in the field around the soldiers. Most of the buds are red, but two of them bloom as white ones, which slowly lift up to arm level for the two remaining gunners. She's offering them white flags to wave.

Moriatti on Roll20 posted:

They tremble for a moment, hesitant, but realize they are outmanned at this point and have been outgunned since the beginning, the lower their heads slightly and their cannons transform back to hands, which they raise to the air.

Daisy runs over there, getting between her teammates and them as fast as she can, and begins to "handcuff" the two soldiers with vines.

"Besides," Daisy continues, conversationally "I think this really was a misunderstanding. Think about it." She gestures to the carnage. "You definitely weren't given what you needed to take care of us. You barely even made a dent in one dinosaur before the other patched him up."

"So I really think whoever you were looking for wasn't here. And! I think that's really important information, and you should tell your superiors that exactly."

She's saying this loudly enough that her teammates hear--it is, in fact, mainly an encouragement to them not to execute the soldiers.

All this going well, Daisy then begins to pick the quickly grown roses and lay one on each fallen enemy. She then makes a flower crown, which she offers to Sawyer.

Unknown Quantity posted:

Popping back up to take a shot at the canine unit, Ruby's hand starts suffering from another case of seizure, shaking rapidly and making the ability to draw a bead all but impossible. However, glancing back at her friend right next to her, the Digger recalls a moment not unlike this before, of a sort. Her hand had been shaking just as violently from nerves when she was first offered a handshake by Daisy.

And how did I handle that one...? Oh, right. She told me to relax and...

Action Trigger - Try Again!

"And, hey--it's just a handshake, right? If you can do all that, you can definitely handle shaking my hand!"

Daisy has, of course, since come to realize that for Ruby it's the other way around. She could punch a door off its hinges no problem, but taking someone's hand without mangling it? Everything else seemed easy compared to that.

But at the time, Daisy didn't know any better. She just wanted to properly thank the woman who led her, shambling in an energy-deprived daze, out into the world for the first time in ages. Only in hindsight did she realize what a feat it was for Ruby to still her quaking hands.

"My, what a grip! Which is a phrase I picked up from--wait, people still
do handshakes, right?"

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Daisy Vivre

Daisy stays quiet through most of the following conversations, instead focusing on cleaning up the flora left in her fighting style's wake. Unless potted, all these plants would die quickly, and there's no time for that; the most she can do is put them in the trash. What kind of airship doesn't compost? she asks herself. There are a lot of situations she barely knows how to handle; following her programmed functions makes them easier to deal with.

The sudden blast of nitrogen snaps her out of it. She immediately ducks behind Polar Barrier--a strategy that served her fairly well in the previous combat--and begins looking around for any kind of interface point.

If there is a terminal nearby: Daisy will attempt to use Computer Interface to turn off the fire suppression and, if possible, find out where it was activated from.

If she doesn't find one, she asks--"Task! Where's the nearest terminal? I was built to manage systems like this, I can shut this down!"

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Daisy

"Point the way, then!"

As they run, she makes sure to stay covered by Polar Barrier's paw, and holds onto the brim of her hat for extra fortitude.

Is Endure Elements a relevant skill here? If so, she's doing that. If not, untrained skill check for staying covered by a big friendly animal. I roll for Totoro! And get a 2.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Daisy
Running down a freezing corridor

"It's my favorite! Too bad it's no longer seasonably appropriate, though...thanks for the extra cover!"

Daisy continues racing towards the engineering bay, hoping to make it there before her knees freeze up.

I'll take Slow as well.

Otherkinsey Scale fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Feb 23, 2019

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Daisy
HP 10/10
AP 0

Having taken a full blast of nitrogen to the legs, and then further blinded by ice, Daisy is not doing too well. But seeing Sawyer take the brunt of the attack and get shredded for it, she's more worried about him. Her right hand retracts, turning her arm into a cannon. Lime green light gathers in front of it, and then erupts, bathing Sawyer in light. For a moment, Sawyer's body is a bright green shadow.

The flower crown on his head roils, and then begins to grow. It pries the powder off his eyes and gently coils around his body, pulling closed the tears the spinoroid has suffered, covering him in roses and their thorns. With a spray of flower petals, the light passes, revealing Sawyer to be fully repaired, crackling with green energy, and overflowing with vitality.

"Tear it up, big guy!" Daisy yells, as she ducks behind a corner...and wonders if her creator would be angry to see her use that on a Sigma reploid.

---

Role Action: Heal on Sawyer, who managed to save to end the blindness. Attack action: Pharmacopia on Sawyer, healing him 1, and granting him Regeneration 2, +2 Speed and one extra damage every time he hits. Move action: NE. End of turn, creating a bed of roses one square up from Sawyer, which automatically grabs anyone that walks into it, and has a chance to grab adjacent enemies when I spend an attack.

Otherkinsey Scale fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Feb 26, 2019

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Daisy
Engineering Bay

Before the last goon even hits the floor, Daisy is running to find a terminal to link up to. When she finds one, she lifts her left hand up, and a small cable snakes out of her wrist into the connection point. She hums to herself as she works.

It's just like old times, except instead of maintaining differing levels of humidity, she's trying to turn off lethal blasts of liquid nitrogen before the person who's been trying to kill them escapes.

Making a Computer Interface roll to turn this off while still having time to cut off their leader. With Advantage, since this is literally what she was made to do. Ends up as a 3--Success with a Cost.

If she had more time to work, this would be no problem--but the team's in a hurry. Someone had to disable multiple layers of security to make the system do what it's doing. Rather than gradually stepping down to a normal state while restoring the safeties, Daisy simply vents all the nitrogen out of an airlock. Causes a little damage, but it's better than the alternatives.

With that, she decouples herself and follows after her friends.

ElegantFugue posted:

Hyenard bounds after Polar uncertainly. "That means no more coolant leaks, right?"

"Well, it does now!" Daisy says with a thumbs up. "Just don't start any fires..."

Otherkinsey Scale fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Mar 1, 2019

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Daisy Vivre
HP: 10
Condition: Normal
AP: 0
Strikes: 0
Command Deck

"Leave her alone!" Daisy's voice cracks on that last word. Literally--it's accompanied with a small burst of static from her 500-year-old vocal synthesizer. Her eyes turn green and her body glows with light.

Daisy dashes out of cover, flinging seeds seemingly with abandon. But the fact that a few land scattered by Ruby's feet while most end up in the walls and floor near Model SE belies this haphazard approach. Suddenly, they erupt into a carpet of flora, a canopy of impossibly thick, thorny flower stems surging into the sky to wrap around SE. Tearing at their skin, tangling up their wings and gun.

Simultaneously, a bit of shrubbery grows under Ruby's feet, giving her the momentum to throw herself to cover. It's not enough to fling someone against their will, but Daisy's seen what her friend can do with just a bit of momentum.

With that, Daisy quickly dashes behind a console.

Using Tactics on Ruby to give her a move action to get behind cover. Running up behind the right end of the left console, and then using Covered in Brambles with a 10. It's super effective! SE takes 4 damage, and for his next turn he is Slowed and has Disadvantage on ranged attacks. Also, Tactics recharges.

At end of turn, dropping a patch of impassible brush to the left of the front computer; until I switch Callings, all adjacent squares are difficult terrain and that square makes anyone who walks into it prone. That is in dark green, and everything in light green is difficult terrain.

Otherkinsey Scale fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Mar 5, 2019

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Daisy Vivre
HP: 6/10
0 AP

The room swims as a piece of metal collides directly with Daisy's head. She staggers, but keeps her feet. When things come back into focus, the first thing she notices is just how bad her friend's wounds are.

"RUBY!" she shouts. Her right arm becomes a cannon, and she sweeps it across her friend's body, and across the patch of plants she'd just used to boost her into cover.

"You don't know a thing about life!" The grass begins to writhe. "You think yours is uniquely special, but your every word is one I've heard before, whenever I asked someone what they needed shelter from. Every life I've saved--every life I didn't save--all they wanted was to live free of people like you!"

Flowers bloom, turning towards Dreyce. Like the sun is painted on his chest.

"And if you really valued your life so much? You would have just kept flying away."

A massive burst of pollen blasts him in the face...to absolutely no discernible effect. Daisy slinks behind the console.

---

Free action: switch to Calling the Green World, which causes all the difficult terrain I created to disappear. The dark-green patch stays, but becomes growing plants instead--if an enemy lands in them, it's grabbed; if they're adjacent to it, when I attack I get a chance to grab them.

Role action: Heal on Ruby; she gets 5 HP back and gets to pick from the menu of Heal choices.

Attack action: Intoxicate. Rolled a 2, so that's another Strike.

Move action to move one square NW.

End of turn, create another patch of growing plants two squares to the left of the chair that's one square SW of Hyenard.

Otherkinsey Scale fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Mar 8, 2019

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Daisy Vivre
Strikes: 1

The doctor's words snap Daisy out of it, vividly reminding her that she's not out of danger yet.

"Right!" Still a bit shaky, she pushes past the doctor to get into cover somewhere where both medics can't be caught with one blast. Hopefully...

"You, plant girl"? I guess I can't be annoyed since I don't know his name either. ...And I kind of called him a dinosaur before.

----
Daisy moves SW, SW, S, S, S.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Daisy Vivre

"Oh, I am a one-trick droid..."

Daisy's internal seed bank clicks, cycling a handful of very specialized seeds into her arm cannon.

"...but I've gotten a lot of practice with it!"

She has had centuries not only to improve her power, but to selectively breed new varieties of plant; this one is her most potent painkiller. And she launches enough of it at him to make even an augmented soldier sluggish.

"Sleep."

The whole area becomes a small garden. A little trail of daisies marks a safe path away for Hyenard, and then closes up behind him.

----
Switching to Calling the Undergrowth, which causes hella Difficult Terrain to spring back up.

Using Grasp of Vines (just flavored differently than normal), rolling a 6, spending a miss token to upgrade that to a Solid Hit. Dreyce takes 3 damage and is slowed, and a 3x3 area centered on him becomes difficult terrain.

Tactics to give Hyenard a move.

End of turn, putting a patch of impassible brush one square north of the console Hyenard ducked behind. All squares adjacent to that are difficult terrain. Dreyce is now Slowed and completely surrounded by difficult terrain.

Otherkinsey Scale fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Mar 9, 2019

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Daisy Vivre
Command Deck

Before Dreyce even hits the floor, Daisy's off like a shot, racing to Hyenard's side, the carpet of plants she's woven across the deck parting before her.

Please don't be dead, please don't be dead, please don't be dead...

She kneels beside him. "Springy?!" She says, loudly, tracking his reactions. Trying to keep him focused and alert. "Hey, buddy. You were amazing! Why don't you tell me something. Like, what do you do for fun? Usually?"

As she speaks, she's tearing the nearby flora up for a patch job that will make sure he lasts long enough to get him properly fixed. Her specially bred plants are strong enough to restrain a reploid, which means they're strong enough to fix one, too.

The vast majority of Daisy's repair experience is routine maintenance. But on a long enough timeline, unexpected catastrophic failures happen. And when that timeline includes wars spreading over the globe, and people running so far and wide to escape them that a handful a decade even ran into her greenhouse...

Her treatment is expert.

She's unable to prevent an infection. But she can get him stable enough to bring him somewhere to treat it. As soon as she does, she asks Task to lead them to the nearest medical area. With a wave of her hands, she gathers all the plants in the area under Hyenard, forming a crawling floral stretcher that carefully lifts him up and secures him. Daisy continues talking as they start moving, doing her best to distract him from the pain.

----

Rolled Medic and got a 1, leading SH to be conscious, but in pain and infected. Spending my first downtime unit to treat that infection, ASAP.

I'm voting for keeping the airship, we have two people with Repair Machine and one of it's at heroic! I'm also voting for exposure at 1.5; I have more feedback regarding that, I'll post it in the mechanical wishlist channel when I have a chance. Retraining, as discussed, switching out a feat TBD; other votes also forthcoming.

Otherkinsey Scale fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Mar 10, 2019

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Daisy Vivre
Command Deck

AP: 1
Downtime Units: 1/2

As Daisy, Task and SH leave the room, Daisy stops for a second. She wants to ask who else needs help, start figuring out what to do next, just try to talk about what the hell happened today. But she knows if she so much as turns around--sees the holes in the walls, gouges in the floor carved out by tornados, all the badly wounded people--she's not going to be able to focus on Hyenard.

It's triage.

"Soccer, huh?" She gives Hyenard her full attention, as her plants carry him away. "Cool. What's your favorite team?"

---
Medical Bay

"Repliforce..."

Daisy has made sure the room is clean, secure. The door is locked, her hands are washed. She's scrubbed up. Hyenard lies on the table before her. The tools and supplies she'll need are laid out on a tray nearby.

"I've never heard of it, but since you were talking about cells, doing training...I guess this world makes soldiers out of everyone."

She's already given him the sedative. He's probably not going to be able to follow what she's saying for much longer. But Daisy sings to plants; the same principle applies here.

"I mean, I wasn't made for combat, that's for sure. But the Legion can't seem to leave well enough alone, so...I fight."

She's examining the wound left by the shard more closely. Hyenard was right--it hadn't fallen in, or out. What it was doing was weird. But weirdness or not, it had still torn through his abdomen; that was damage that needed to be fixed before anything else.

"I'm a gardening reploid. Ruby's always telling me not to tell people I just met any more than that...so I won't." She has a tool in her hand; Hyenard doesn't remember her picking it up, and his vision is too blurry to see what it is.

"Instead, I'll tell you a totally unrelated story. Don't stop me if you've heard this one before, cause apparently it's been told enough, people went looking for the place. What did Onyx say they called it...right. This is the Tale of the--"

---
Overgrown Tomb

It's raining, and there's a forest. It's too thick with gnarled old trees to walk through, but Hyenard couldn't take another step anyway. But if his heart is pure, the path will open...

He has heard this story before. It's about a nymph, guarding the crypt of an ancient hero. King Arthur, or Zero, or something. Someone so revered that the tomb is covered in flowers, so no one knows who it is.

Everyone always describes the nymph in the story as forever young and beautiful. When she appears in front of Hyenard, though, he mistakes her for one of the trees. Her skin is bark-like, wrinkled. Ancient.

Without a word, she reaches into his chest, and pulls out his heart. This would be anatomically suspect, considering he's not humanoid, but it's a cartoon heart anyway: 💜

It's cracked. Pitted. It hangs in the air between her hands.

"Fear not," she says. Her voice has the same static fuzz that Daisy had, earlier, yelling at Dreyce to leave. But the static is musical, somehow. (Daisy is singing.)

"A broken heart is still just as pure."

The nymph's hands pass over it, and it's been filled with the purple-yellow substance he saw around his wound. Good as new. She presses it back into his chest.

The trees fold open. Hyenard sees that they lead to somewhere with flowers--rhododendrons, chrysanthemums, roses, acacia blossoms. (Daisy is describing them in more detail than anything else, as she tells the story.) He can see that there's a tomb, in the distance. It's entirely overgrown with plants, except for a plaque, too far away to make out. And--a beak?

And then his sleep becomes dreamless. (Daisy's now only humming, in concentration.) But he'll see this place again.

---
Medical Bay

"Well, I don't know what you are. But you were listening to all of that, weren't you?"

Hyenard is not, so far as Daisy can tell, awake. She's speaking into his now-repaired abdomen. "That's really interesting! Might as well get this off my chest, then."

She leans in, and whispers a secret to the bio-metal.

Hyenard opens his eyes a little later. He's on a hospital cat-bed. This place is very accommodating. Daisy, seeing him stir, is immediately next to him.

"Hey. You're going to be alright. I fixed everything up. The feather is still in you, though. It, well, melted. I think it's trying to integrate with your systems. It's responding to my power, so I can either speed that up...or remove it, if you want.

"But not tonight; we'll have to do it over the course of a few days. You need to rest. It'll feel like you have a fever for a bit--sorry. Maybe if I wasn't so tapped out..."

She pats his paw, leaving a little beeper in it. "Speaking of, I'm going to find a bed myself. Or a quiet corner to prop up in while I recharge. Push this button if you need me; it'll get me out of sleep mode. But only for emergencies. I'm not bringing you milk and cookies, okay?

"Get some rest. Gardener's orders."

With that, she leaves the room and starts looking for a berth.

Otherkinsey Scale fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Mar 11, 2019

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Starting off with the housekeeping:

Downtime action: Spending downtime action 2 to come up with a Dual Tech with Ruby. And/or get rolling on a new mini-greenhouse.

Action Point: I'm awarding my point to Spring Hyenard. Even before seriously stepping up the game with these last few posts, SH has gotten lots of lovely character moments along the way. I'm still chuckling at "Did I just hear you ask, 'excuse me, room full of highly qualified and drunk remodeling experts, but could you all please build me a new doorway here in place of my old blast wall?'"

Mission: After considering, I'm voting for Venomrail Station. From an out of character perspective, we should get up to level 2 as fast as possible, and that's the quickest and safest way to do so. Plus, stocking up is important; we need fuel and fire right now. Most importantly, I really want to do a train heist. Rotary Sky-Station is a close second. It's riskier, but it has what we need. Overall I'd put fortifying our base as our most immediate priority.

Retraining: For feats, swapping out Superhuman for Lucky. It suits Daisy, and having an extra defense like that is important considering I'm both a healer and vulnerable to multiple damage types. For complications: Fugitive is out, Overwhelmed is in. "Fugitive" isn't a unique descriptor to Daisy anymore, plus it would only come up in the same kind of situations her other complication would.

Terrain feature actions: I think moving around cover and otherwise interacting with terrain as a role action is a great idea--it's a cool way to use a spare role action when you don't need to Assess. Hunker Down should stay an attack action, though--Disadvantage on incoming attacks is a benefit that outweighs many other uses of a role action. It should be for situations where defending yourself is more important than getting a hit in.

---

Daisy Vivre
Cargo Hold
AP: 1
Downtime Actions: 2/2

Daisy eventually wandered down to the cargo hold, and lay down on her bags. Mostly full of dresses, seed packets, and books. She doesn't own a lot of stuff, but she didn't want to leave anything behind. She wrote a quick note: "This daisy is wilting, and needs to be left alone! Do not touch. If I'm not awake by tomorrow evening, get Ruby."

She hesitates for a moment--she's been avoiding sleep as much as she could for the last three months, ever since she went to sleep and almost didn't wake up again. Then, she sets her sleep mode to last for about 18 hours, and activates it. If she were human, she'd have been kept up by something Hyenard said.

He called me a good fighter...why does that make me so...mad? Not at him, but...

--
Observation Deck
The Next Day

"--now that I've slept on it," Daisy's telling Ruby, "I realized I was mad at myself. Weird, right?"

Daisy has claimed what seems like a mid-sized observation room, just above the engines. She's unpacking as she speaks, turning it into both her bedroom and a mini-greenhouse. Several discarded containers have been filled with dirt and seeded. The engine heat is good for her plants, as is the sunlight coming through the windows. Ruby is there because Daisy asked her to help remodel.

"But that's because--you remember, when you found me? I um." She's fidgeting with a hand rake. "Looking back, I realize that I just...when they turned off the power, I just..."

She fidgets so hard that the rake snaps off. "Darn it! Well, it's not like I needed that, we're indoors." She laughs.

"Anyway. I didn't fight then. Or for 400 years, even though I knew horrible things were happening just outside my little dome. I'll never be like that again." Daisy clenches her hands in their garden gloves. "I'll--I'll fight! Even if it means going through a day like yesterday, I won't just try to hide away."

She pats the airship walls. "That's why I like this place. I can have my greenhouse, and still travel to different places. It's perfect! I'm staying, I think. What about you?"

"Oh, and...so far, I've been following your lead on everything I don't really get, and that includes fighting." As she says this, a lightbulb goes off in her head. "Wait, that gives me an idea. But hold that thought for now."

"But if I'm going to keep fighting, I have to understand. What made you decide to spare Dreyce?" Though her words are blunt, her tone is genuinely curious, not judgmental.

---
Barracks Room

"Evening! Hey, how're you feeling? Better not be overworking yourself down here."

It's later in the day when Daisy catches up with Hyenard. Immediately, she throws herself into decorating while she chats with him. Draping vines here and there. Turning small, discarded containers into vases. She is living for this.

"So I was just talking to Ruby, and I remembered what you said why you fight. About wanting to stop people treating others differently because of how they look? It's kinda funny, actually: I hadn't thought about it, but I just realized that if I'd been created today, I probably would've been labeled a 'pseudodroid' before I transitioned."

She's etching floral patterns into a bannister as she talks.

"Well, maybe. Either way, even though I was still the same person, people treated me totally different afterwards! Which was great for me--well, mostly. But that doesn't help anyone else, you know? And I didn't transition so people would think I was cute or whatever--I did it because of, y'know, the dysphoria. It would've been way better if people were good to me however I looked, or at least if they'd known I was a girl."

"But that was a long time ago." She adds the last details onto a lily. "My point is, you're right. Making it so people won't get stomped down when they try to grow, just because they're different? That's worth fighting for."

She admires her handiwork. "Love what we've done with this place."

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Daisy Vivre

Barracks Room
AP: 2
Downtime used: 2/2

"I'm definitely going to have to give you a manicure, bud. May I offer you a hug instead?" If Hyenard says yes, she immediately tackles him, laughing. Otherwise she enthusiastically, albeit carefully, shakes his outstretched paw.

It's always important to ask first, and Daisy's very glad she knew that before she met Ruby.

---

Daisy's Room
(she hung up a sign on the door, it's official now)

Unknown Quantity posted:

"I'll say. You're not really the type to get mad at all. You surprised me just as much as you surprised Dreyce."

"I surprised me! But he was so proud of hurting people. He hurt you." Daisy shakes her head. "And he thought the rest of us were...nothing."

quote:

She throws up her hands in a shrug. "...Well, I can't very well leave you until my contract's complete." She then laughs, dropping the act. "Seriously though. The well's dried up on new ruins at the moment, so I may as well stay on. Plus maybe we'll still have a chance at finding what we came here for."

"Oh? Should've gotten that in writing." Daisy giggles. "I'm glad, though."

"Whether or not we find what we were looking for--even if it was a lie, someone knew enough to come up with that lie. I have no idea how they could've known about my 'older siblings', but if that information's out there, that's worth finding on its own. And hey--if they knew about that, they probably have a lead on some otherwise unknown ruins, right?"

quote:

After the metaphorical glitch in the system resolves itself, Ruby puts on a small smile. "Anyway, that's all there was to it. Now can I stop holding that thought for you?"

"Oh, it's not that heavy!" As Ruby had explained her decision, Daisy's mood darkened as she contemplated it. But her typical high spirits return as soon as Ruby manages that smile.

"Thank you for explaining. You made a much better choice than I could have." Daisy walks to the back of the room, and starts rummaging through a yet-unpacked bag as she speaks. "Because I thought about it a lot--what I'd do if I met someone like him. But you can't substitute thought for experience! And even then, everyone uses their experiences differently." She bends down, digging a little deeper. Looking for something obscure, but essential.

"For instance, like you said, you went through exactly what Dreyce did. But you only use your strength to protect people, as much as you can. The world needs more of that! It's worth cultivating." She produces a pair of small bracelets, bounces over to Ruby, and holds out one to her.

"And cultivation is my specialty!"

Then she explains her idea in detail. Then they practice.

No one's gonna see this coming.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Daisy Vivre
Command Deck

AP: 3
Equipped: Model SE

"Mmhmm! We can't risk anyone else getting hurt." Having just come in from one last round of flight practice with Model SE, Daisy is rebraiding her hair as Sparkplug presents. Having something to do with her hands helps her concentrate. "Of course, I'd rather not risk any of you getting hurt either, mes canards. If we were 100% sure we could get through the civilian entrance without a problem, that'd be my preference. But we can't risk it."

She takes a closer look at the map. "Hmm. What do we think about making our own entrance somewhere else? We did break down a blast door as soon as we met, and we didn't even use any explosives for that. It'd draw a bit more attention, but it'd definitely give us the element of surprise."

Daisy shrugs. "Of course, we have the gadget for the guard door, so we can save breaking down walls in case we need to make an escape or get in further. But it's an option."

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Daisy Vivre
Command Deck

Ignite Memories posted:

Polar Barrier squints at Daisy for a few moments.

"Is that a new hat?"

"Eh?" Daisy pats her head, realizing that apparently her detransformation wasn't complete and there's still about half of a blue cap on top of her head. "Oh! Still getting the hang of this." The scrap turns into green light, and then disappears.

"So it turns out I'm a biomatch! The other day I took the biometal down to Springy to see if it would help, and it was delighted to make my acquaintance! With its help, I can fly and shoot cyclones and everything!"

Daisy taps her lips with her finger. "Although I'm not sure my situation is the same as normal bio-compatibility. I'm not quite on par with Dreyce, and I'm definitely not a Mega Man. Not that I'm a bio-metal expert, but it mostly seems to be reacting to my ionic pseudoauxin catalyzation system! That is, my Green Fingers." Daisy shakes her arm, causing lime-green sparks to fly up and down it. "That thing. It's really neat!"

"Anyway. The bird is my friend now. He's a bit shy after all he's been through, but a total sweetie."

ElegantFugue posted:

"Yeah, the lifeboat. Not sure we could get it back, and we'd be leaving the ship proper with none to spare, but if we want to get the drop on Legion that's literally going to be the way to do it..."

"Hmmm." Daisy frowns. "I do love the direct approach, but under the circumstances, that's too much of a risk. We should save that plan for when we don't have an alternative." Daisy walks over to the goober and examines it. Her interface cable snakes out of her left wrist from underneath a metal bracelet (which is also a new accessory, to everyone except Ruby) and moves around the gadget, as if sniffing it.

"I should be able to use this to get us in the guard entrance. If not, we can always do our 'manual override' plan at the door!"

Otherkinsey Scale fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Mar 23, 2019

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Daisy Vivre
Command Deck

Condition: Socially Oblivious

Plutonis posted:

Sawyer

AP:1

"YOU FLY. YOU TAKE OTHERS TO CEILING. OR WATCH FROM ABOVE." Sawyer says while staring at Daisy.

"I really don't have the strength to lift anyone else."

Unknown Quantity posted:

She then tries to downplay herself by throwing up a shrug and leaning against a wall. "But, you know, that's just my thoughts on this. I'll roll with whatever."

"Don't sell yourself short, mon bijou! That's precisely what we need to do!"

Daisy has, regrettably, failed to interpret her best friend's body language. For someone who's spent literally 90% of her life with no one around, her social acumen is better than you'd expect...but not by much. On the other hand, Daisy did know, with total certainty, that Ruby would come up with exactly what they needed. Well, almost exactly; in Daisy's eyes, the plan needs one amendment.

"I should be the one to do it instead, though. I-I can lure them away while staying just out of reach. And then I'll cover the area in brush and swing back around! By the time they make it through all that, we'll be long gone." Daisy's voice wavers slightly as she volunteers herself, but she doesn't stop.

Otherkinsey Scale fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Mar 24, 2019

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Daisy Vivre
Command Deck

Ignite Memories posted:

Polar Barrier's jaw drops. "Astounding!" He walks in a small circle around Daisy as she sparkles. He reaches out an icy finger, saying "So there was another consciousness riding along inside Dreyce..." A small green spark leaps to his claw, and he pulls back his paw. "And now you've got it inside you? That's incredible!"

He stops in front of Daisy, leans down and looks her in the eyes. "Hello, birdie."

"I'll...tell him you said hi!" Daisy nods. "We're not merged right now, so it's like he's asleep. Or maybe awake, but in another room."

quote:

Polar furrows his brow and scratches his chin. "I don't like the sound of either of you going in there ahead of the team. If something goes wrong, you could be captured or slain. And then the rest of us are back to square one, with a fully alarmed base and one fewer compatriot." He looks back at Daisy for a second. "Two fewer? ...I'm still a little unclear on how all this biometal wizardry works." He looks back to the holo-display. "No, we will be much stronger as a unit. Let us take the guard entrance together, and bring the full force of our outfit to bear."

"Ah, but likewise, they'll be that much weaker when we divide them!" Daisy says. "Being captured or killed is what the stakes are regardless. I don't like it, but that's how things are. So drawing off some of the enemy reduces the risk of those outcomes. If the bees are swarming anyway, better make sure they're where you want them!" She produces an antarctic pearlwort bloom and offers it to Polar.

"Using our skills to greatest effect is how we bring our full force to bear. We might not be right next to each other, but we'll still be acting as one!"

quote:

He steps back, considers for a moment, and quietly asks Daisy "Should I be addressing you plurally now?"

"Plus ça change...Um, no. But thanks for asking!"

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Daisy Vivre
Airship: Command Deck

Daisy blinks. She wasn't sure how Ruby would react to the suggested change of plan, but being unaware of Ruby's distaste for anything to do with the bio-metal, she wasn't expecting that.

"Waste of time...? Was my idea really that bad?" she says, as an aside, to Hyenard.

--

Venomrail Station: Guard Entrance

Gadget in hand, Daisy waits until all eyes are on the brawl before making for the entrance. She smiles; she's only had to tap into 26th-century systems a couple of times before, but there's something pleasing about it. Like the rest of the world's at a 90-degree angle to her brain, and sometimes, she can just slide right through.

"Keep me covered, guys," she says to the others, before beginning the hack.

4 on Computer Interface roll with advantage to open up the door.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Daisy Vivre
Venomrail Station: Interior

HP: 8/10
Condition: Ongoing 2 damage (save ends), Flying

The noise, the flash and most of all, the horror of being on fire. Daisy is momentarily overwhelmed, but then her friend reaches out a paw to haul her to her feet.

"Thanks, bud!" Daisy says, taking Hyenard's hand. He really deserves a better nickname now! I'll have to come up with one when I'm not on fire.

And the doctor's instruction snaps everything back into focus. She darts out of the smoke, her dress still ablaze, and stands in the midst of the room. Surrounded by enemies, Daisy plants her feet, and recites a verbal cue she worked out with Model SE ahead of time. "Storm Canary, VIVIFY!"

Instantly, she becomes a sillhouette in green, with a blue circle at her heart. It expands, blue ribbons bursting out of her body, and then coalescing into a leathery yellow fabric. Small, cosmetic talons adorn her boots, green curls run up her sides (looking like they could represent either stylized vines or wind), and a cap with goggles slides over her head, tucking her braid into the outfit. Finally, a large pair of wings in blue and yellow burst from her back, and then take her into the air with one mighty flap.

"You were right: our terror DOES end here. Because what terrifies me is that my friends and I can't so much as breathe w-without Legion soldiers shooting at us! So I will right this wrong and triumph over fascism. And that means you!" She makes a v-for-victory sign and winks.

Daisy flies around the room, scattering seeds like an aerial topdresser. Then, she raises her newly empowered arm cannon, and rakes gale-force winds across the enemy soldiers.

I've never actually used my arm cannon as a gun before...thank you for letting me draw on your power.

----

Before my turn: Move action from Tactics W, N, N, NW, NW, N.
Role: Megamerge with Storm Eagle, gaining Flying and Crush type affinity.
Move action: NW, W, W, NW, W, W.
Attack: Storm Tornado targeting the SW-most reploid and the NW-most Met. 10 and 7 respectively. 3 points of Crush damage each (before type & exposure; the Met is in cover but the reploid is not). I push the reploid 2 squares south and the Met 3 squares north. Thanks to Calling the Undergrowth, the 3x3 area around each of them becomes difficult terrain.
End of turn: Saving throw to stop being on fire: 1. Reroll with Lucky: 2. No dice! Then I place impassible brush to the west of the assault reploid behind the column; all adjacent areas are difficult terrain, and anyone who lands in that square is knocked prone.

Very important reminder: flying creatures are not considered exposed.

Otherkinsey Scale fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Mar 30, 2019

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Daisy Vivre

HP: 10/10
Condition: Flying

"Thanks, bomb boy!" Daisy says as she catches the box with a gust of wind and opens it. The nanomachines repair her damage and extinguish the fires engulfing her. She holds onto the box, and puts some of the inactive nanomachines back inside.

She quickly floats over the Met that had dashed into her field of flowers, and wraps him in wind, trying to stick a stray flower in his gun.

"Hey Peebee!" Daisy says. "Looks like you could use a second wind, eh?" A revitalizing breeze, faintly glowing with her typical green particles, wraps around him, attempting to extinguish the burning fires.

With that, she flies closer to one of the exits.

---

On Doc's turn, thanks to Heal, I make a saving throw to cease being aflame. It succeeds. Nice.

Move NE NE NE.
Attack: Flowers Sprout From Your Gun on the unharmed met. 9 on the attack, so that's 2 crush damage (3 with exposure) and the met must make a saving throw or be disarmed. Also creates a 3x3 area of brush around him, but most of that is redundant.
Role action: Heal on PB, who recovers 6 HP and can choose from the menu of Heal options (highly recommend not being on fire).
Move NW NW NW.
End of turn: place a square 1 to my south.

Otherkinsey Scale fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Apr 4, 2019

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Daisy Vivre

HP: 8/10

Daisy seems unimpressed as the mets' bullets pretty much bounce off of her. She's more concerned by the Joe's assault on PB, but she knows it's nothing the glacial giant can't handle. Especially not with a little help.

"Hey! You with the bazooka!" Daisy yells. "You seemed pretty impressed with me being a 'Mega Man', huh? No disrespect to SE, but that's really not what should worry you about me."

She floats to the ground, and detransforms. When the light fades, she's in her usual yellow dress and gardening hat (plus a few scorchmarks). "Wouldn't even put it in the top five reasons, really. For example."

Daisy scatters seeds under the door in front of her, and lifts her hands. Instantly, two pillars of densely packed vines surge into being, forcing the door into the ceiling. The room is filled with the screech of metal and the protest of gears.

"See? That's your real problem," Daisy says, casually, once the rumble of destruction has settled. "Oh, and this." Daisy throws another wave of green particles over Polar Barrier, magnifying the rush of power he felt earlier.

"Well...bye!" With that, she walks through the door.

---

Free action to detransform.

Role action to force the door open with Elemental Master: Plant. I got a 6, so that's two bonuses on top of success.

Attack action to use Pharmacopia on Polar Barrier. He regains one HP now, two HP at the start of his turn, and has +2 speed and deals one extra damage on attacks during his next turn. Save sustains.

Move action to go through the door.

Otherkinsey Scale fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Apr 9, 2019

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

Role action to force the door open with Elemental Master: Plant. I got a 6, so that's two bonuses on top of success.

((Just putting this here as a placeholder til the results get edited into the above post, as discussed.))

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Daisy Vivre
Venomrail Station: Information Hub

AP: 4
Condition: Overwhelmed (minor mental condition)

Imagine, she'd once told Ruby, that you spent your whole life underground. Your eyes would be perfectly adapted to using the small amount of light down there, right? But if you went above ground, the light would be blinding, you'd experience afterimages, and so on. The same thing that made you perfectly suited to that environment would make you disoriented in this one.

Well, that's kind of what
all my senses are like. I was made to monitor incredibly slow, incremental changes. That's almost all I've ever had to deal with. But now, everything is so fast, so loud. It's all so exciting! Too exciting, sometimes.

I'll be okay. I just need a minute.

---

Daisy's body echoes with the feeling of being shot for the first time. And then the next three times. Not the pain of it--minimal, thanks to SE--but the bluntness, the dull heat in her side. Her ears still ring with explosions, and with the Joe's hateful words. Worst of all, she was on fire; the doctor's intervention may have extinguished the flames in short order, but her nerves are still sounding the alarm. If she can keep moving, keep doing things, she'll be able to ignore it until it stops. Probably. She's been able to handle the aftermath of every fight so far that way, at least.

She'd crumpled the door into the ceiling and restrained the humanoid, and that was a good start. "Ruby," she says, with some effort, "can you question the captive for some tactical...stuff? Sawyer, Barrier, guard...doors, please. And I'll go tapintothenetworkand░░░░░░"

Daisy's words run together into static. She mostly just seems annoyed by this. She points at Mann and then sweeps her arm over to the terminal. You should probably get that instead.

For herself, she taps her throat with two fingers, holds up her pointer--one moment--and then gestures to an empty corner of the room. (Well, empty except for the greenery her dramatic entrance flooded the entire room with.) I'll be over there. She looks at Hyenard to recommend him a task, but then her eyes are caught by his purple-yellow patch of biometal. Intrigued, she crouches down and holds up a lilac to it, as if testing for a reaction. Then, she stands up and tugs on Hyenard's arm. "░░░░░░░!" she crackles, excitedly, having briefly forgotten the nature of the problem.

Frustrated at being unable to adequately communicate, she walks over to the designated corner and ducks behind a table that had been overturned by her tide of flora.

Otherkinsey Scale fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Apr 18, 2019

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Daisy Vivre

Condition: Overwhelmed

As Hyenard wanders up, Daisy's attention is absorbed in watching a flower stem slowly grow, gently spiraling up from the ground at her command. She notices Hyenard and sees the similarity between her construct and his limbs, and smiles faintly. She scoots over a little to make room for him behind Fort Table.

ElegantFugue posted:

"Daisy? Are you okay? Did you need the Bio-Metal shard?"

She taps her throat again and shakes her head. Either I'm not okay or I don't need the shard or maybe even just, I can't answer that right now. She's absorbed in the flower's growth, and her hands are worrying her now-singed dress. After taking some time to immerse her senses, she manages to speak, still in a scratchy voice.

"Too...much." She clearly has a lot more to say, but instead gestures back to the flower. She pointedly focuses all her attention on its slow, slow growth...and then, suddenly, it explodes into a burst of pollen. She makes an exaggerated cough and then tries to wave the pollen away with the flower stem. With mixed results.

"It's...like that."

Otherkinsey Scale fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Apr 18, 2019

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Daisy Vivre

Condition: Overwhelmed

Daisy laughs at Hyenard's reaction, despite herself. "Sorry. Sorry." She suddenly becomes fascinated by the movement of his springs, leaning down with her elbows on the ground and her head in her hands to watch them. Experimentally, she raises a few more coiling vines, attempting to mimic their form, their motion. A fruitless endeavour, but it seems to be relaxing her.

"It's...not mental," she says, after a few silent moments. "More like...your tension. Inherent to my own design, my sensory apparatusisconfiguredformicroscale--" She stops herself, before she starts crackling again. "Well. Skin won't stop. Ears--won't stop." She opens and closes her hand rapidly, attempting fruitlessly to pantomime the firing of sensory neurons.

"But my mind?" She smiles, a little less weak than before. Her eye contact is still directed at Hyenard's arm-springs. She begins carefully sounding out her words. "You don't get to my age without...coming to terms, with yourself. I am an emotional person. Can't stop it, don't know how to hide it. But I don't let that...affect my decisions. Terrified, but I still did...all that." She waves vaguely in the direction of the recent carnage. "I will, acclimate to these sensations too. Soon. A decade. Two, at most. Short project." She says this without apparent irony. (Daisy's still not sure when it's alright not to pretend she wasn't made in 21XX, but she figures it's sometime between performing surgery on someone and breaking into a Legion base with them.)

A few more moments pass in quiet observation. "Thank you," she says, suddenly. "For staying. That's...also new. Something else to get used to. But it's nice." She leans forward and squeezes his paw. "It...helps."

Otherkinsey Scale fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Apr 19, 2019

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Daisy Vivre
Venomrail Station: Information Hub[/b]
Condition: Normal?

Oddly enough, Daisy is now almost the calmest she's been for months. Some combination of Hyenard's comforting presence, the steps she's taken to calm herself down, and the familiar environment of an area completely covered in greenery. And the sudden tension of the situation snaps her the rest of the way back into focus.

"Ruby..." Daisy sighs, as she emerges from behind the overturned table. "Girl. I love you, but apparently we need to have a talk about boundaries. Because you don't get to make these kind of decisions for me. When you called yourself my bodyguard, that was, um." She looks at the big metal door that she crumpled into the ceiling like so much tissue paper, the tech she instantly restrained, and the scorchmarks on her dress. "Very sweet of you. Not to downplay everything you've done for me--you and Onyx took me in when I lost my home, kept me safe while I was finding my feet. I could never repay that. But I have found a new home. Remember: I told you I'm staying on the airship. And then I asked if you were staying too."

She looks at Hyenard, and then looks back to Ruby. "I don't know what exactly you said to him, but rest assured I'm not being recruited into anything. I'm making the choice to fight--that's not your choice or his choice, it's mine." She looks up for a second, thinking. "Well, more precisely, Legion has made the choice that I have to die, for the crime of not already being dead. So I made the choice to, well, not die. Hiding won't work, not if they could find me in a place as remote as my garden was. Running, well, we'll get this airship fixed up and see how that goes. But to do that, we have to fight."

She paces. "Like I said at the briefing, I don't like it--actually, it terrifies me! But that's just what the situation is. I have to face reality. I can't just hide in my bubble anymore, and pretend it's fine. And even if I could..." She gestures at the rest of the group. "They need me, as much as I need them. Because I got shot four times just now, and it was awful. But if even one of those bullets had hit Mann or Barrier, with all the damage they took, they might not be here right now! I'll take that price. My temporary pain for their lives is a bargain! Even if my nervous system freaks out about it."

She takes a step closer to Ruby. "And...I know how much it sucks not to be able to touch anyone. I've spent about 90% of my life with no one around! The last time I had any kind of friendly contact was 40 or 50 years before you were even born. And it was from my dog, so." She chuckles, fondly. "Anyway, I promise you, I will personally find a way to fix what they've done to you." She taps the bracelet she's wearing. "In fact, our special training together has already yielded plenty of data as a starting point to that goal!"

A column of roses rises from the ground, and wraps into the shape of a open hand, stretched out to Ruby. "But until then, even if we can't touch: can we be friends? Because that's what I need right now. Not a guardian, but someone who respects me, sees me as an equal, and stands with me against these situations I can barely handle. Okay?"

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Daisy Vivre

Condition: Normal-ish

"I understand. It can be an effort, and this isn't the place to do that work. We'll talk when we get back to the ship. Until then, just remember: I have nothing but patience, and you can do anything, treasure." Okay, so I haven't gotten over this case of hero worship yet.

With that, Daisy wanders over to Barrier and Sawyer. "Hey, so I missed the interrogation. Is she cooperating, or did you want me to shove her in a broom closet?" When someone tells Daisy the tech cooperated, she releases most of the vines, but leaves her arms bound and her legs shackled together. Enough to walk, not enough to run.

"Oh yeah, and Peebee?" She says to Barrier. "I told Eagle you said hi, and he said I should buy you a beer for getting that guy off my back. After this I was gonna see what Task could mix up if I give her the ingredients, wanna come with?"

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Daisy Vivre

Ignite Memories posted:

"Sounds like a plan - hopefully our bartender friend is feeling up to the... assignment."

In 200 years, if she lives that long, Daisy will drop a bag of seeds as she suddenly gets this joke. Presently, she just says "Great!" before proceeding through the door to the next room as he waves her through.

"Come on, mes canards! We might still be able to catch our train!" she yells back to the rest of the group. Probably shouldn't be taking point, but it turns out the really painful position is being in the middle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

bump

Current Objective posted:

"Once inside the Routing Center, figure out where those supplies are being rerouted (and make sure fuel for our ship is among them) and radio back to us, we'll rendevouz with you along the way, once you've commandeered the train or car in question."