Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Hello everybody! User That Works is puttin' on a NICSA about beans and I said yeah okay, here ya go:

Main: crispy chickpeas garbanzo BEANS and ground turkey with Swiss chard and nearly invisiblegarlicky yogurt

Side: hummus with honeyed harissa and toasted pine nuts

Drink: caraway gin sour with aquafaba

Dessert, option 1: Lima bean and walnut "custard" with whipped cream and lima bean dulce de leche

Dessert, option 2: Lima bean and walnut custard hand pies with lima bean dulce de leche drizzle

Processes:
Overall idea: bean dessert is tough, so I started googling until I found out Peru's "manjarblanco dulce de leche". Sounded interesting, so I found a recipe that uses lima beans. Since the Peruvian dulce de leche was more of a topping, I needed a dessert base. To make things difficult for myself, I wanted to invent a new dish: lima bean and walnut "custard" to be similar to rice pudding or walnut and honey balls, which I figured would go well with Mediterranean food.

Plus, any excuse to make fried pita is good enough for me.

Hummus:

Soak with 1 tsp baking soda, drain & rinse, boil with aromatics, strain & blend with minimum broth necessary to keep it moving. Make tahini sauce with garlic & lemon juice, whisk together, taste & adjust seasoning.
For the topping: approx 2 Tbsp harissa, 1/2 Tbsp honey, 2 tsp sunflower oil, taste & adjust, 2 Tbsp toasted pine nuts
Full recipe hummus and tahini sauce, original source

Ground turkey:

Black cumin, oil & ground turkey, chopped garlic on medium-high heat. Brown, then deglaze & set aside.
Crispy garbanzo beans, greens, chard stems:

Without wiping out pan, add drained & rinsed garbanzo beans with plenty of oil. Once crispy, add to turkey. Oil & chard stems until tender. Greens briefly, then return turkey et al to pan to reheat.
Full recipe, original source

Lima bean and walnut "custard" and dulce de leche:

Soak with 1 tsp baking soda, drain & de-skin (~20 minute task, put on a podcast)

Cook the poo poo out of it with sugar & cinnamon. Add evaporated milk to make dulce de leche, toasted walnuts to make the "custard"
custard and dulce de leche, original source

... hand pie:

I really enjoyed the challenge, though I learned some things the hard way:
  • Baking soda works wonders for smooth hummus. Don't try to pull half of the garbanzo beans early and expect to get firm-as-canned. Just do a different pot without the baking soda if you have two applications.
  • Garbanzo beans from scratch doesn't yield aquafaba as you'd expect. Solve both these problems by just using canned for the crispy chickpeas.
  • Lima beans and walnuts alone don't provide enough structure to stand on their own. I planned for them to be similar texture to rice pudding. The pivot to whipped cream and hand pie worked well, though!
  • Evaporated milk makes a good egg wash in a pinch, but don't let it pool, as it will burn the edges of your hand pies. Use a brush and be sparing.

BrianBoitano fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Feb 19, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Scientastic posted:

Love the creativity on the pudding, really inventive.

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Posts like these are why I should just pull the trigger early on and make my first NICSA entry. Now I'm all "ugh, why bother, I can't compete with that".

Seriously, nice work, BB! The only bean I dislike is lima, and yet your post has me salivating.

Thanks y'all! My Peruvian friend says it's traditionally made with pallares, which are different from Lima beans but she understands the substitution.

And yeah, do an entry. It's fun! Put me outside of my comfort zone for sure, and the only reason I got better at plating & photography is to mimic folks on the Dinner thread.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Thank you! It's definitely starchier than normal dulce de leche, but I ate it all up pretty quick. Usually a teaspoon of the dulce de leche, a couple tablespoons of the custard, cover and nuke for 30 seconds. Scratches a similar itch to bread pudding :)

It was definitely best in the pie but I only ever made one because we already had the dough for empanadas.