Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Story so far in brief -

Co-worker stuck using a Toshiba laptop that isn't running particularly smoothly, has probably been passed between 3 people here with new accounts set up each time etc and bogged down with crap.
Let's start from scratch, says I, and I put my trusty Win 10 USB drive I made with the media creation tool and have used before with no issues.

Laptop does not seem to like this. So I reboot into the installer, tell the machine to format the HDD and try again. Nope, and after repeated attempts it now seems to think it has 3 copies of Windows all on Partition 4 but none of them boot.

I gave up, and dig out another unused machine and pass that over and stick this in the pile until I have time to look at it. Time is now up.

So I'm ready to try take this thing back to absolute base and see if that helps things along. I've booted it to a system recovery toolkit and loaded up GParted and can see the following partition tables

/dev/sda1 ntfs [System] 1gb flags: hidden, diag
/dev/sda2 fat32 100mb flags: boot, esp
/dev/sda3 ntfs 128mb flags: msftres
/dev/sda4 ntfs 900gb flags: msftdata
/dev/sda5 ntfs 800mb flags: hidden, diag
/dev/sda6 ntfs [Recovery] 10gb flags: hidden, diag

All listed as Basic data partition except sda5 which is blank

What can I safely repartition back to an NTFS format and what must I not touch? I don't want to do anything that's going to put this machine ni an even worse place. Trying to get it up and running to be used for something simple, but absolutely needing Windows on it.

Edit:

Went all in and deleted them all, and Windows seems to be booting now. I say 'seems', because I'm sure it will find something new and exciting to throw at me.

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Feb 19, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slayerjerman
Nov 27, 2005

by sebmojo
Ideally, you should have replaced the HDD with a shiny new SSD if the machine is as abused as you say. Sounds like its just a matter of time...

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I don’t think it’s been abused as such, just the fact the company isn’t big enough to have an IT person, and most of the computers have multiple user accounts as they’ve been passed around. Hence the need for it to be cleared out.

It’s an AMD A8 based laptop, so I don’t think that old? I don’t really follow chip revisions anyway, let alone non-Intel. Physically the machine is fine too, as never moved and everyone uses external monitors, mice, and keyboards. So I’m putting the jankiness of the original attempt down to a combination of cheaper end laptop oddities and plain old fashioned Windows hissy fits. Other than clearing out the drive using a boot disc and taking the machine out of secure boot, I didn’t really do anything new this time around.

An SSD for all the machines would definitely be nice, for sure. I’ll let them start with my machine as a test ;)