Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4wEp3U_LYE

Documentary Now! (actually in its third season) purports to be a showcase for a variety of documentaries, when in reality is an incredible parody of actual documentaries. Fred Armisen and Bill Hader, co-creators alongside Seth Meyers and Rhys Thomas, are the creative force both in the writing and performing of the show (most episodes feature at least one as a writer, and almost every episode features both men in a role). It is a very, VERY high-concept show, where knowing what exactly is being parodied increases the enjoyment by an astounding degree.

The new season of Documentary Now! debuts tomorrow on IFC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

My cable company had the premiere up on demand, early.

It was amazing.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
I totally didn't see the twist where Ra-Shawbard was working for the FBI. Also, I KNEW the Pittsburgh Steelers were going to be involved somehow when I saw a suspiciously similar logo at the camp.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I watched a good chunk of the first season when it aired, and while I liked it I also found a lot of it was just really one gag and more ‘yes I see what they’re doing here’ rather than laughing. Did it manage to get out of that groove?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

I watched a good chunk of the first season when it aired, and while I liked it I also found a lot of it was just really one gag and more ‘yes I see what they’re doing here’ rather than laughing. Did it manage to get out of that groove?

Juan Likes Rice and Chicken, Parker Gail's Location is Everything, and Mr. Runner-Up are eff'n brilliant. Juan, particularly, is surprisingly heart warming.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Cool, maybe I should bring myself up to speed with those and hopefully get fully into it then. Thanks!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah as it progresses they definitely move away from the “20-minute sketch” thing

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

That said, S1's Kunuk Uncovered was one of the funniest things I'd ever seen.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
I love this show to death. I think The Eye Doesn't Lie from S1 is my favorite ep so far. They really captured Errol Morris's style in a hilarious way in that one. The best thing about this show is it works whether you've seen the doc they're spoofing or not. It's also caused me to seek out several great documentaries.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’m still rewatching season 2/51 before I start on the latest and the Spalding Gray episode is a loving masterpiece

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

First episode of the new season is pretty good. I appreciate them trying to parody something that itself felt almost like an unbelievable parody as I watched it. That being said I still find the real life events of Wild Wild Country to be so crazy that this parody almost felt kind of dull in spots because I kept thinking about how crazy the actual story was.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Original Cast Album: Co-op is outstanding, possibly the best episode of the show up to this point.

I'm a bit biased since I love Company, though.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

sethsez posted:

Original Cast Album: Co-op is outstanding, possibly the best episode of the show up to this point.

I don't know if I'd say it's the best episode but yeah, it really was phenomenal - the lyrics, music and cast were all fantastic.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Saw one of the upcoming ep is a parody of "Dear Mr. Watterson", about the "Calvin & Hobbes" comic.

Documentary Now!'s ep? "Searching for Mr. Larson: A Love Letter from the Far Side"

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The Artist is Present parody episode is so good. The “Bucket Series” had me rolling.

cheeeeesecake
Aug 16, 2003
I mean correct me if I'm an idiot... but that was Cate Blanchett?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Yes, it was Cate Blanchett.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Cate Blanchett is awesome.

The climax of this episode was SO perfect I was laughing hard for like a full minute

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

That line in the bowling doc "He's paying alimony to a woman he's never met" slayed me.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Michael C. Hall’s revelation at the end was loving hysterical

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Escobarbarian posted:

Michael C. Hall’s revelation at the end was loving hysterical

As was his dead eyed look whenever he was just sitting at the lane.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

I always get furious when I see the commercials for Documentary Now Later and remember it's not real

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Mob posted:

I always get furious when I see the commercials for Documentary Now Later and remember it's not real

It is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdmvsgeF_Aw