Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

We've been told by knowledgeable authority figures who seem to genuinely want us to succeed that it's more important to build a solid foundation than rushing breakthroughs, and that taking the private lessons is a good idea (and more importantly free). I'm perfectly fine with pushing the breakthrough down the line a bit for C, especially since the Elder in charge of the physical class just directly told us it's in our best interest to skip it for a few weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Also 2ap of results for 1ap is good. We have been wanting to learn some new combat stuff or further master spirits strength, so if we can learn the cultivation technique and then learn some of that it would be good for us. Probably more so immediately beneficial than getting to the next physical tier and getting a life dantian.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Zodiac5000 posted:

Yep, Pumie has a pretty major character trait of not sticking to stuff if an Elder suggests an alternative. This seems like a good expression of that.

We beelined to physical advancement when it became clear that diamond was our barrier to starting the process of opening the Life dantian. In the meantime, this teacher told us that it would be best for the long term to have a solid foundation in our physical exercises as soon as possible--and we even saw firsthand how all the kids at our exercise skill level have their own technique already--so we spent our resources to do that before we advanced. Dinvuk hosed with that, so now we're trying again. This doesn't seem like we're not sticking to stuff to me.

The best argument I can think of for not delaying physical advancement is it might give us an edge in a fight, which we will probably get dragged into soon.

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope

Dr Subterfuge posted:

This doesn't seem like we're not sticking to stuff to me.

It's literally ping-ponging from one thing to a new thing. It's a good idea and I voted for it it but its still bouncing from topic to topic!

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
The common thread is Pumie takes elder advice very seriously. She said build the foundation and delay our rush to a breakthrough, so we did. If an Elder thinks we're doing something wrong, Pumie trusts that we are.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

If you could start your journey over, knowing what you do now, how would your path be different?

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

There Bias Two posted:

If you could start your journey over, knowing what you do now, how would your path be different?

More strength training with Papa! We should have taken advantage of his swole powers early on.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Kristopher posted:

1. C We just got a very strong lesson in why you should ALWAYS listen to your elders. Dinvuk was going to be banished for his crimes against us. It was disregarding Elders' orders that got him killed.

2. J, K, L As horrible as it is that someone had to die, Pumie is truly impressed by the goodness of the people shes come to know.
Voting for this.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

chin up everything sucks posted:

More strength training with Papa! We should have taken advantage of his swole powers early on.

This was meant to be a question for the elder.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

There Bias Two posted:

This was meant to be a question for the elder.

I know, but it's a fun question for us to answer for Pumie anyways.

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope

chin up everything sucks posted:

I know, but it's a fun question for us to answer for Pumie anyways.

Not stop eating meat! Think of the huge gains!

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Zodiac5000 posted:

It's literally ping-ponging from one thing to a new thing. It's a good idea and I voted for it it but its still bouncing from topic to topic!

Instead of getting better we're getting better at getting better. Doesn't seem that scatterbrained. :colbert: But I also didn't realize you voted for it, so the point doesn't really matter.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

At the core of everything, I just want Pumie to start feeling cool and badass, instead of losing. It kinda sucks that even at our specialty (healing) we are hitting walls.

I fully understand why Pumie was getting annoyed at Zhuque and Chew learning to do her cultivation tricks so quickly was annoying. It's kinda her one big leg up on everything. Of course, we want our friends to be badass, but that doesn't mean we can't be upset that they are doing good.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
I don't feel like either of them are really our friends yet. They see an advantage in being friendly but I don't really trust that they'll have our backs when the chips our down. We'll see.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

KittyEmpress posted:

At the core of everything, I just want Pumie to start feeling cool and badass, instead of losing. It kinda sucks that even at our specialty (healing) we are hitting walls.

I fully understand why Pumie was getting annoyed at Zhuque and Chew learning to do her cultivation tricks so quickly was annoying. It's kinda her one big leg up on everything. Of course, we want our friends to be badass, but that doesn't mean we can't be upset that they are doing good.

This is part of every cultivation protagonists story - reaching a limit and having to wait a bit to massively break through in ways nobody ever expected.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
We have the opportunity to open a life dantian. What are some of the risks? Will that affect our level of progress elsewhere?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Mr. Prokosch posted:

I don't feel like either of them are really our friends yet. They see an advantage in being friendly but I don't really trust that they'll have our backs when the chips our down. We'll see.
I agree. We shouldn't be too overly trusting with those two yet. Right now, they see us as useful, but we have no idea yet if they'd actually be willing to stick their necks out for us when things come to a head.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Slaan posted:

can healers advance as high or higher than you?
You know the answer to this. Elder Qianni is a Healer.

sheep-dodger posted:

2 Should I be worried about retaliation from other Inner Disciples for causing this?
"No. Oh they may want to, but discouraging such ideas is on of the reasons I made Dinvuk's punishment so very public.

Asid from that, new disciples like yourself are kept separate from the other disciples except for a few carefully controlled activities. Like today's announcement. You shouldn't see an Inner Disciple outside of lessons. In the extremely unlikely event one does hurt you, report it to an Elder immediately and we will deal with it."

Mr. Prokosch posted:

I heard students will be fighting each other for their VEAs next week. Why do you allow that? Doesn't it make it so students with a lot of potential but no support get their growth stolen by students who started with more?
Elder Yun Tzu grins. "Will they? And how do you suppose they manage to find each other to fight? If the strong disciples are just waiting in the plaza, I think it would be fairly easy to avoid becoming a target. All you have to do is just not be there. There's no rule about when you pick up your vital-essence amplifiers. This village didn't exist a year ago. Do you think I'd go to all the effort of building an entire village and not arrange things to give clever disciples a chance to demonstrate their cleverness? Or that it is an accident that every one of your teachers the past week has warned you of what is coming? That's only one way to deal with the issue, there are several others. I look forward to seeing how you address it. You can consider it a test of sorts, if you like."

Elder Yun Tzu seems rather pleased that you asked this question.

KittyEmpress posted:

Question for the elder:
What was the original goal in the founding of Luxing Traveling Academy, and were all the Elders founders or no?

Ask her about her lifes work and her colleagues.
"I could talk about that all day, but it's late, and you must be tired. I'll keep it brief. Every year ancestor-touched discover the blessings they earned in their past lives. As you just pointed out, they have little chance against established houses. Some are willing to adopt them and bring them into the fold. Others viewed them as dangerous and eliminated any they found. A tragic and terrible waste. Especially when the Emerald Empire is surrounded by so very many enemies. I created Luxing Traveling Academy to help ancestor-touched like you become accepted, productive members of the Emerald Empire. The influx of new talent has allowed me to extend our borders and rescue the savage barbarians beyond from their servitude to the demons who prey on them. We've even been able to assist the Zhaozhe in their endless war to keep the Emerald Empire safe from the Sky Lords. It's a dangerous life, but a good one, and with many opportunities for the quick, clever, or determined."

You already know not all Elders were founders. Elder Qianni told you she was a disciple here before becoming an Elder.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Is that all the questions we get?

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

If we get another question

Why is my name on my paperwork Luxing Pumie?

Let's not specifically call out Kue He and his mistake, because he might get in trouble

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011

LLSix posted:

"I could talk about that all day, but it's late, and you must be tired. I'll keep it brief. Every year ancestor-touched discover the blessings they earned in their past lives. As you just pointed out, they have little chance against established houses. Some are willing to adopt them and bring them into the fold. Others viewed them as dangerous and eliminated any they found. A tragic and terrible waste. Especially when the Emerald Empire is surrounded by so very many enemies. I created Luxing Traveling Academy to help ancestor-touched like you become accepted, productive members of the Emerald Empire. The influx of new talent has allowed me to extend our borders and rescue the savage barbarians beyond from their servitude to the demons who prey on them. We've even been able to assist the Zhaozhe in their endless war to keep the Emerald Empire safe from the Sky Lords. It's a dangerous life, but a good one, and with many opportunities for the quick, clever, or determined."

Do we know about what these "demons" are? If not, I'd like to ask the Elder this

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Is that all the questions we get?

Yep.

Quornes posted:

Do we know about what these "demons" are? If not, I'd like to ask the Elder this

You've heard the word a few times. Wotjeo previously interpreted it as something like evil-spirits-that-go-out-of-their-way-to-attack-and-eat people. Zhiyi applied it to the fear spirits he killed when you saved his life. The Emerald Empire has a bunch of different words to refer to spirits.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Mid Fall - (Nuli, Wood Week(1), Day 1)

For your first meal of the new month, you have a lavish breakfast with Liuxue. All three courses are carried by Liuxue’s servants into the part of the cave that is set aside just for the table the two of you eat at alone. Afterwards, Guanjia, wearing shamrock green pants and shirt as always, leads the four of you to the Lesson Hall. For once, you are glad of Bčiké’s slow pace. It gives you a chance to memorize the names of the “streets” that are carved into the wooden buildings along the way.

The whole way, Liuxue, and Guanjia are carrying on a whispered argument about which of the Jin disciples to sway to her side first. Your excellent hearing would have allowed you to listen in if you wanted to, but you and your bear brother were focused on memorizing the names of the “streets.” Besides, Jin Yao is the only Jin you’ve spoken too, and that only briefly. You have no idea who the other two people they’re talking about are, so you don’t have anything to add. You do think that she probably shouldn’t be arguing with someone older than her, though.

Today is a Qi cultivation lesson. Usually, Liuxue wastes no time in claiming the best place to cultivate and getting started. Instead, she approaches the crowd of disciples chatting in the middle of Practice Hall One while they wait for the Elder to arrive and start the lesson. As you approach, you can hear them excitedly talking about Dinvuk’s very swift death yesterday. You’re not sure how you feel about what happened, and you slow your pace, not eager to join the conversation.

Liuxue, however, speeds up, her long legs carrying her swiftly forwards. She is preceded by her bear-sized tortoise, Bčiké. The disciples closest to Bčiké hastily clear a path, and the two of them cut through the center of the crowd without slowing. Liuxue strides confidently towards her targets, a trio of disciples you saw on your second day here. You’ve seen them several times since. They make a striking image.

The trio is composed of two boys and a girl. All three are wearing similar robes embroidered with the image of some sort of scaled snake spirit. The girl has tanned skin and short green hair. Her iron gun (staff) is topped with a sparkling green emerald. One of the boys seems to defer to her. Between that and her confident demeanor, you’ve always assumed she was the leader of the trio. The boy who defers to her has braided blue hair and is carrying both a jian (sword) and shield. All three weapons look like they could have been made by an apprentice Silver Bear Smith, which makes them much higher quality than almost anything else you’ve seen in the Emerald Empire. The third boy has blond hair and pale white skin that obviously hasn’t seen much sun. He is gripping the most ridiculously ornate qiang (spear) you’ve ever seen.

To your surprise, Luxing addresses the ridiculously ornate qiang-wielder when she speaks. “Jin Fu Mose Ah, I offer you my protection in exchange for...”

Before she can finish speaking, the boy cuts her off with a sneer. “I don’t need your protection, spirit lover. Even if I did need help, I would never accept it from you. You’re disgusting. Why, I bet you even sleep with that ugly spirit of yours.”

With a screech of anger, Liuxue whips her bow off her back and strings it. “I’ll pin your sneer to the wall, Fu Mose Ah! Right to the wall!"

The other boy of Jin Fu Mose Ah's trio leaps in front of him, protecting both of them with his shield.

From behind this safety, Jin Fu Mose Ah yawns theatrically. "Shamo, Jo, deal with this turtle-lover."

The other boy lifts his jian (sword) and points it at Liuxue. "I, Guer Shamo, challenge you to a duel."

Liuxue draws an arrow as she snaps. "I accept! And I challenge you, Jin Fu Mose Ah, just as soon as I've dealt with your client."

Jin Fu Mose Ah wags his finger at her, "Ah, ah, ah. You'll have to beat both my clients before you can fight me. Did you forget, or are you just as stupid as you are perverted?"

The gun-wielding girl from the trio groans and covers her face with her hand. Your excellent hearing catches her frustrated mutter. "If you hadn't challenged her, we could have fought her all at once..."

Just then, Elder Yun Hui flies in on the back of another of his strange-looking spirits. He roars, "No fighting in my class! Out! All of you! And don't come back!"

Liuxue reluctantly lowers her bow. "Fine! We'll fight in Practice Hall Two then, unless you're willing to apologize Jin Fu Mose Ah?"

All five of them head towards the door, slinging insults at each other as they go.

When you start to follow, Jin Fu Mose Ah spots you and sneers, "Oh look, the spirit lover is afraid to fight alone and is bringing a fellow pervert."

Liuxue snaps back, "I don't need any help to deal with scum like you! Stay here, Pūmič."

Seeing the shocked look on your face, she continues less heatedly, "No reason for both of us to miss the lesson. And you have responsibilities for after class."

You told Liuxue about your plans to go with Zhuque and the other disciples to get your vital-essence amplifiers as a group so no-one would steal them, and she nods towards them now.

1) What do you do?
A. Stay
B. Go with Liuxue and miss the lesson. Maybe break your promise to help the others.
write in

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

A, we've got prior commitments, Liuxue told us she doesn't need help, and if she gets her rear end kicked that will be a valuable lesson in why you shouldn't get too cocky

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Yea A. I want to watch them fight, but we've got other commitments this week.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

A + point out to our friends that we can just pick up the VEAs after all the fighting is done, rather than getting involved.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

A

OfChristandMen
Feb 14, 2006

GENERIC CANDY AVATAR #2
A Stay for the lesson! Always be cultivating!

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

There Bias Two posted:

A + point out to our friends that we can just pick up the VEAs after all the fighting is done, rather than getting involved.

This

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012

There Bias Two posted:

Yeah

Edited my vote later on.

Chatrapati fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jun 5, 2020

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Be aggressive, B E aggressive

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Always be cultivating. We do have prior commitments. We don't want to shame Liuxue. And if she does lose, hopefully she will learn a bit of humility.
A + figure out our plan with our friends after the lesson

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
A

It would probably be a cool show, but we wouldn't go against our friend's express wishes for no real reason.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Crazycryodude posted:

A, we've got prior commitments, Liuxue told us she doesn't need help, and if she gets her rear end kicked that will be a valuable lesson in why you shouldn't get too cocky

yeah, sAme

Catpetter1981
Apr 9, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
A

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
A.

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

A and wish she had ORDERED us to follow so we could at least show some spine.

O maybe remind her she doesn't need to fight all three back to back to back

BHB
Aug 28, 2011
A

Toughy posted:

O maybe remind her she doesn't need to fight all three back to back to back

also not a bad idea if we can do it diplomatically

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

B. If we can find a friend quickly tell them we’ll go for VEAs later when it’s quieter. Maybe we can go at night or near the end of the week. That’s a better idea than going today anyway, and protecting their allowance of quartz isn’t as important as protecting our roommate.

The common thread in Liuxue thinking she’s got things covered so far is that she doesn’t. They might be exploiting her short temper on purpose here to draw her into a trap. Going through three fights in quick succession is a recipe for disaster and if she loses imbued gear then all the other noble kids might smell blood in the water leading to escalation. She needs someone watching her back and able to tag in for a round.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Is she outside of Wotjeo's normal dream-speak range?