Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

KittyEmpress posted:

B, but we also offer to help the cooks and Other servants if they get sick/injured. Liuxue has a doctor, but twice born healers are useful. Plus Pumie likes the servants as people and I can't see her wanting to take their work with nothing in return, even with Liuxue helping us.

Yeah its paying for something that was offered for free, but we are nice. I mean, I honestly expect pumie would heal them when/if they got hurt/sick regardless, if she knew.
Cosigned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

B also ask if the doctor would talk shop with me.

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012

I'm not sure if you're correct about the low calorie diet thing, but this was pretty convincing, and I'd have probably changed my vote if I'd voted in time. I was thinking too much like a butterfly and not enough like a bear. :tbear: Not that it mattered since E lost!

So, we've expressed before how we're uncomfortable with adults waiting on us multiple times, I don't see how this should be different just because Liuxue has ordered them to.
Early on in the acadamy we received a lecture on cooking with proper foods to aid our growth which we understood some of, however I would suspect the Lianhe household might know more. With that in mind, I think we should cook alongside the servants, that way we can use a larger range of ingredients, know exactly what is in our meals, and request for their insight on occasion. I looked back and most servants have received our courtesy well; I can only vaguely recall one servant being uncomfortable with us (but I couldn't find that update so maybe I invented it), so I would hope that they can tolerate our presence in the kitchen. Maybe they'll eventually learn to stop kneeling and bowing and weird things like that too.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
We can try, Wotjeo floated the idea of learning more about cooking from them and they might be more comfortable with us now. The incident you're thinking of is probably when we tried to cook our own food in the kitchen and they all went into full kowtow on the kitchen floor and got out of our way, disrupting their own work. That made us so uncomfortable we just left.

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
I think cooking alongside the servants without dedicating a slot to it won't accomplish anything, much like talking with the doctor?

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012
Neither of the offered options offer any mechanical benefit either, so you could say that also doesn't accomplish anything.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
B

Ask to meet her doctor!

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Cannon_Fodder posted:

B

Ask to meet her doctor!

Toughy posted:

B also ask if the doctor would talk shop with me.

Ya'll have an action to do that. It has consistently been voted for by only one person.

Catpetter1981
Apr 9, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LLSix posted:

Ya'll have an action to do that. It has consistently been voted for by only one person.

Being that one person who has consistently voted for getting to know the servants, I would like to take this opportunity to reiterate my pitch for spending some action points to get to know the servants:

Catpetter1981 posted:

I'd like to make a pitch for "Spend more time getting to know the servants in your wooden cave".

1. The cultivators are completely dismissive of their servants and the once-born in general, who are everywhere in the Academy. This means that the cultivators are talking to each other in front of their servants, without grasping that the servants have ears and are listening. If we can cultivate the friendship and loyalty of the once-born, they would be a tremendous source of inside information on both friend and foe.

2. Liuxue said that "Servants are once-born, it’s not like they can cultivate, or could ever be a threat like a spirit or barbarian", which all but guarantees that once-born actually can cultivate and become a threat. Furthermore, Pumie is a trainee healer working towards building a new second dantian within herself. If she can learn to build dantians within other people and has earned the loyalty and trust of the once-born, then BAM! that's a massive and loyal army with which she can conquer the Emerald Empire and take over Aestia Valley. Even if the once-born can only reach low-tier cultivation levels, there's many more of them than there are twice-born, and quantity has a quality all of its own.

3. Pumie asked Liuxue “Isn’t that impolite? They’re our elders. Shouldn’t we treat them (the once-born / servants) with respect?”, and Liuxue replied that ""If a Veridian heard you talking like that, they'd be furious.” Liuxue pauses, “Which would be absolutely delightful. Hmm, mother is more polite to the servants than father, let's discuss this more.”"

This means that Liuxue is open to a more respectful treatment of the once-born, and we can potentially help to shape Liuxue's personality and character into a more egalitarian one. In the process, we can deepen Pumie's friendship and relationship with Liuxue, and thereby reap the benefits of a strong affiliation with the scion of a powerful noble family.

4. Pumie's childhood was characterised by being ostracised and bullied within her society due to the circumstances of her birth. It would therefore be very in-character for her to sympathise with and want to get to know the once-born, who are also being downtrodden due to their circumstances of their birth.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
But we should offer to help.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Catpetter1981 posted:

Being that one person who has consistently voted for getting to know the servants, I would like to take this opportunity to reiterate my pitch for spending some action points to get to know the servants:

sure I'll second your motion

get to know the working class

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Zodiac5000 posted:

B. Thanks Lixue's servants!

Mid Fall - (Nuli, Wood Week(1), Day 7)

As soon as you wake up, you hurry outside. Your silver-colored robes are still as shiny and new as the day you got them, even after wearing, fighting, and sleeping in them for a whole week.

You grab your bag and Healer's kit as you go. You already packed a couple of fruits for breakfast. You'll eat them as you walk. You're looking forward to eating more delicious meals made by Liuxue's servants, but it would have been mean to ask them to make you meals to take with you in the short time between your conversation last night and this morning. Today is the day you go check out the nearer of the two caves Wotjeo and you saw when you dreamwalked last week. You'd been planning on heading that way earlier in the week, but delayed leaving because you wanted to take a break from all the fighting in the first few days of the week.

You're not expecting a fight, exactly. On the other paw, you have noticed a pattern with the situations and locations that dream walking shows. You often get in a fight when you investigate them, especially since leaving your home in Aestia Valley behind. Which is why you packed enough food for two days as well as a bar of iron you took out of the cultivation area in the wooden cave you share with Liuxue. If you get hurt and can't make it back tonight, at least you've got enough food for both of you.

You follow the route you took in your dreams to get there as best you can. It's only been a week, and your memory is excellent, so you don't expect any problems. But things look different while walking on the ground than when you ran across the sky in your dream. Still, you didn't spend more than a winter traveling through the forests and over the plains with Zhiyi without learning something, and you're able to make good progress without getting lost. It's so much easier to find your way in the woods than the dreary, samey looking village.

You think you're getting close when you hear rustling as something scrambles through the thick summer underbrush of the forest towards you. Make that two somethings. Your excellent hearing picks out the sound of something larger behind the first set of sounds. Either chasing or following the closer sound.

The sounds are coming from straight ahead. Whatever creatures are making the noise might have come from the cave you dreamed about if you're as close as you think you are.

Wotjeo lifts his nose and sniffs. He has an incredible sense of smell, but it's not a sense you've ever worked with him on getting information. So the only thing he can tell is that he smells smoke. Too much smoke to pick out any other scents. Which is odd, because you don't see any fire or smoke. The trees are pretty thick. Maybe they're just blocking the view and could burst into flame at any moment?

While you are considering that unsettling note, a copper-furred rabbit bursts out of the brush and skids to a stop in front of you. It squeals in unmistakable fear, and your bear brother translates, "No! Another hunter! I'm trapped!"

The rabbit's fur is streaked with red blood. What fur it has. Large patches of its fur are completely missing.

The very first spirit you ever made a deal with was a rabbit. A pair of rabbits, actually. Senior Enlacio introduced you to them in his glade, and they helped you for a whole winter in exchange for very little madra. If you're being honest, they weren't much help, but they were friendly and fun to talk to. It hurts your heart to see a rabbit that looks so much like those two in such pain.

You kneel down and show it your open hands as you say, and Wotjeo translates, "I'm not going to hurt you. I'll heal you if you let me."

Before you can start speaking, the rabbit is already turning in a panic to run back the way it came.

As you are speaking, Zhong He crashes through the same bush the rabbit hopped out from under a moment ago. He is wearing the same mahogany robe he wore when you first met him. You took an instant dislike to him after he sneered at Chew Chengzhang for being a Farmer's daughter.

The last time you saw him, his skin was very pale, and his hair expertly cared for. Now, his robe is pierced in several places by clusters of small copper needles. His previously pale white hands are covered in blood. His forearms are mostly bare of blood, so if he's injured, it can't be seriously, despite the holes in his robe. The blood dripping from his hands must be from those he killed. His bloody hands grip the hilt of an equally bloody blade. The boy's face is twisted in a snarl of frustration. His hair, which he so obviously spends hours tending to every day, is as perfect as ever.

His snarl is replaced by a smirk as the copper-furred and battered rabbit cowers between you. "Thank you for stopping this one from getting away. It fled after I killed all the other spirits, and I was getting tired of chasing it."

The rabbit hops sideways, trying to run away from both of you, but the bush it tries to escape underneath twists and flexes its branches, tossing the rabbit back. Landing on its side, it moans in pain. When the bush moved, you heard madra coming from Zhong He. You'd heard that some Corazon Chamois could control plants in the same way Elder Minaro controlled metal, but you'd never seen it. You guess Zhong He is doing something similar.

The Silver Bear Hunters would often hunt spirits to eat them, but Luxing Traveling Academy provides more than enough meat for anyone who wants it, so that can't be what Zhong He is doing. The boy is obviously rich. You haven't interacted with him much, but he is constantly bragging about how rich and powerful his family is. Comments that your excellent hearing would make it impossible to miss. If he's as rich as he frequently boasts, he can't really need the spirit's dantian any more than he needs to kill and eat it. Even if he did, hunting people, spirits, or otherwise, for their dantians is monstrous.

Confused as to why Zhong He is doing this, you ask, "Why are you chasing it? Did it attack you?"

Zhong He scoffs, "Don't be silly. A quartz spirit like this Copper Hopper is no threat to me. They're fast enough to be good sport though. A half dozen of them were infesting a nearby cave rich in vital-essence. The contribution points from their dantians and reporting the cultivation site will be a nice bonus. I'd offer to let you kill half of them if you'd gotten here sooner, but this is the last one."

Zhong He straightens up as if he had a sudden idea. He gestures negligently with his bloody blade towards the half-dead and terrified rabbit. "I suppose I could let you have the pleasure of killing this one. Do you want it?"

1) You...
A. Try to talk Zhong He out of killing the rabbit and fight him if he refuses
B. Claim the rabbit spirit's life and then spare it, insist Zhong He honor his offer to let you kill it and refuse to let him do so.
C. A, but let him kill it if you can't talk him out of it
D. Attack Zhong He immediately and without warning
E. Put the rabbit out of its misery (kill it)
F. Do not intervene
write in

Schedule next week, order not set
Elder Dantian Cultivation
Private lessons on custom phys cultivation technique (gains as if 2 ap spent, replaces Elder phys lessons week 1/2)
Chew Changzhang & Zhuque - full day lesson on culture lessons

LLSix fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jul 14, 2020

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

B

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

A

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
B.
If he pushes it we can get in our first duel for fun!

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Zodiac5000 posted:

B.

second duel

we kicked the rear end of that one kid, remember?

e: never mind, misinterpreted what you meant by first duel

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
Yeah, that duel was necessity/work, this duel would be for the satisfaction of pounding his face into the dirt for killing stuff unnecessarily.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
B. This will 100% devolve into a fight.

Man, how unlucky, this shithead ruined a promising spot.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Keep in mind that if he can manipulate plants, we are at a *massive* disadvantage in a forest and need to work around that somehow.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Cannon_Fodder posted:

B. This will 100% devolve into a fight.

Man, how unlucky, this shithead ruined a promising spot.

if we beat him real bad, confirm the spot, then get back to the village before he does we can report it before he can

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

There Bias Two posted:

Keep in mind that if he can manipulate plants, we are at a *massive* disadvantage in a forest and need to work around that somehow.

yeah but he's also far from fresh, plus we have wotjeo

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
A sounds like a straightforward Pumie idea, B sounds like a clever Wotjeo idea. I don't relish the idea of having to deal with plant control in the middle of a forest, so I guess B.

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

So the smoke we saw was him already here killing/eating the inhabitants.

A for the rear end kicking he's going to get. If we persuade him to leave the rabbit we still challenge for cave.

Toughy fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jul 8, 2020

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Toughy posted:

So the smoke we saw was him already here killing/eating the inhabitants.

B for the butt kicking he's going to get.

I think the smoke is because this spirit (and its former family) is fire-aligned.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
There's something about these loving sociopaths that makes me wanna punch'em all.

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

Cannon_Fodder posted:

There's something about these loving sociopaths that makes me wanna punch'em all.

Same

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Zodiac5000 posted:

B.

If you're looking for a fight, you should pick option A or D.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
For what it's worth B is probably less likely to lead to punching than A

efb

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

LLSix posted:

In this case, A

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

Dr Subterfuge posted:

For what it's worth B is probably less likely to lead to punching than A

efb

Presuming we get a "WELP YOU GOT ME ON THAT TECHNICALITY, WELL PLAYED" from this lunatic.

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope

LLSix posted:

Change vote to A then. I want Pumie to start throwing fists more and faster.

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

If we challenge and win we should consider taking the cave for school points unless he has some valuable VAEs or gear

Also we shouldn't wait on the north waterfall one much longer. We should have a better idea of how much time it'll take vs our dream

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

A gotta protect friend rabbib

Polgas
Sep 2, 2018

With one hand he saves gebs. With the other he commits goblin genocide. A true neutral.

A

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Attack :black101:

Catpetter1981
Apr 9, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
A.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
A. This guy's a shithead and it's time to throw our (and Wotjeo's) weight around.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Are we carrying our VEAs?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Are we carrying our VEAs?

Yes. As per your character sheet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

Move forward (coincidentally making it harder for him to reach the rabbit) and assert "I found the metal cultivation site first. You would steal my claim? I challenge you as a thief and will prove my words upon your body."

Reasoning: I really want to fight this guy and would rather the rabbit got away. I'd like to pressure him into dueling us here for the claim, then beat him, take his sword, and use/sell the cleared site as appropriate to maximize its value.

If we pick A then I'm afraid he would refuse us, keeps his bloody gains, and goes around telling everyone Pumie likes wild spirits more than people.

D is tempting because it's the law of the jungle out here, but I could see it leading to reputation damage too. I'd rather take everything we can while leaving him too confused for slander.