Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

KittyEmpress posted:

We can hear when people are gathering essence or using Madra. Presumably those with sight can see it being gathered and used. They wont know what it looks/hears like (pumie often notes odd sounds) but they will know it's not what they've seen/heard the last 10 weeks.

I really think we should learn to gather/cultivate Life in secret, at Old Man Oak's spot, next week when we have open slots. Keep doing dream silver in public, and Life in secret.

gently caress it, I'll ask it this week instead of next week.

Is there any way Qianni can use her influence to secretly ask Yun to provide one of her Cores, to help us work on our Dream Silver stuff, even once a month? I want to be very prepared in case Life leaks while Qianni is weak, and I become a target.

Edit: another question!

Is Wotjeo opening a second dantian weird? Do spirits usually open multiple dantians?
No, per earlier explanations.

Up to you. Everything about opening a second dantian seems odd to Pumie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012
C
We're used to this setup, and perhaps anyone who is suspicious will just assume it's a bear thing.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

C we can take baby steps to a big risk

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

I'll throw in my vote for A, I'd really like the Elder advice, but trying to keep our Life dantian secret will sadly have to take precedence for now. :(

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

sheep-dodger posted:

I'll throw in my vote for A, I'd really like the Elder advice, but trying to keep our Life dantian secret will sadly have to take precedence for now. :(

Mid Fall - (Nuli, Water Week(5), Day 1) continued

You easily decide to continue gathering for Wotjeo. Your bear brother is your favorite person ever. You’re not going to neglect him just because you got a cool new, unique, incredible once-in-a-generation dantian to experiment with. You take a few moments to activate two of your three remaining balanced diamond vital-essence amplifiers. You still have three Air-aspected diamond VEAs and 28 quartz ones so you aren’t in danger of running out any time soon, but you might need to trade in a few to get balanced ones soon. Or maybe just one? Healer Zhe Zhuru did say you’d be provided with all the VEAs you need during your first lesson of the week each month, which is next week.

Instead of disappearing at the end of the lesson at a flying gallop like he usually does,, Elder Yun Hui announces something that makes you very happy you decided to stick with what you’re used to. “Today is a very happy day. For me. Today is the day that I will finally be rid of those of you who have been flagrantly wasting my time and not dedicating yourself to learning how to cultivate properly. If you have been practicing diligently, you are, by now, at least a mid-dawn. If you have not been, I am delighted to say this is your last day with me. The Inner Disciples now entering this practice hall will test your dantians’ development. If you demonstrate sufficient control and madra strength, you will be relegated to a slower paced class better suited to your limited talents. If you pass, I will see you in the lecture hall at the usual time next week to instruct you in more advanced cultivation techniques.”

When the Inner disciple reaches you, he holds out a head-sized diamond similar to the one Dinvuk tested you with when you first arrived. He holds it out to you and you cycle your…

1) Which dantian do you use to cycle madra into the diamond with?
lettering backwards to avoid collision with training action votes.
W.Wotjeo’s Dream Silver
X.Your Dream Silver dantian
Y.Your new Life dantian
Z.Wotjeo’s new Life dantian
Write in

Liuxue drags you to the front of the line, right behind her, so at least you didn’t have to wait long. You feel bad for everyone else. There’s only two Inner Disciples running the tests. It’s going to take all afternoon to get through everyone who was at the lesson.

Afterwards, you split up with Liuxue. Lu An was waiting patiently for you just outside the Lesson Hall. The three of you make your way to Administrator Un’s lessons.

The older disciple sends Lu An home again before telling you, “I’ve noticed that you’re not as direct or forceful with the once-born as I would like. It’s important to be assertive and confident. Don’t give them any opportunity to think about refusing your instructions. Tell them exactly what to do. Even if you’re uncertain, don’t show it, it will just scare the poor things. They depend on our strength and any sign of weakness in us scares them. Today, we’ll be working on building your confidence by walking through the village and assigning servants tasks. These are all important tasks that I normally send someone from my staff to assign.”

After several hours of passing instructions from Administrator Un to Luxing Traveling Academy once-born, Administrator Un sighs tiredly at you. “You’re still far too polite. You don’t need to say please or thank you. *Sigh* At least you’re approaching them directly and not stammering. That’ll be all for today.”

Experience - character sheet is up to date. If someone will link me the latest sheep-dodger map I’ll update that too.

You gain 13xp to Physical cultivation from the maze advancing to low Diamond

Wotjeo’s Dream Silver Dantian gains 25.3xp
Wotjeo's Dream Silver Dantian gains 150 madra
You gain 17xp to Social

2)How do you want to spend your time this week?
You have five training actions.

Lessons with Healer Zhe Zhuru are locked in as a result of previous votes.
Lessons with Old Wupo are locked in as a result of previous votes.
Tutored Spirit’s Strength Lessons are included as a result of previous votes.
You have previously consistently tutored your friends, up to you if you continue doing that this week.

You have two training actions available this week.

A.Group physical cultivation lessons (cultivation skill and strength are two different things, this covers the one the Elder didn't teach that week, Elder lesson is stat this week, so this goes towards improving your skill )
B.Group spiritual cultivation lessons (cultivation skill and strength are two different things, this covers the one the Elder didn't teach that week, Elder lesson is stat this week, so this goes towards improving your skill )
(Not currently offered)
C.Cultivate Wotjeo’s and your life dantians.
D.Practice with Wotjo (write in which skill/technique or other you want to work on) (no CP cost)
E.Purchase private lessons(2 CP cost, gain two AP worth of XP in topic of your choice + variable bonus based on tutor’s competency, compatibility, and friendliness)
F. Practice Dreamwalking with Wotjeo
G. Help at the once-born hospital (+1 CP)
H. Do another day of lessons with Healer Zhe Zhuru (+1 CP)
I.Emerald Empire History & Culture Lessons (no CP cost)
J.Remedial Language Lessons for Imperial (no CP cost)
K.Remedial Language Lessons for the local dialect (no CP cost)
L.Gain two extra social actions to spend on hanging out with other people like Wotjeo or your friends
M.Pick a task from the job hall to earn contribution points (will have a follow-up vote on which one)
N.Explore outside the village (optionally, pick a direction)
O.Try to make friends with local spirits outside the village.
P.Go shopping (optionally, write in what for)
Q.Find out who grows herbs for local potion makers with an eye on getting ingredients for energy potions(if they’re even available, you haven’t seen any of the right kinds of beans)
R. Cultivation lessons with Xue Min
S. Spar with Lumang and Big Bailei
write in

Schedule this week, order not set
-find a time slot to include a vote about buying spirit honey for wotjeo
Elder Physical cultivation
Healing Lessons with Zhe Zhuru
Lu An interaction (ask Lu An about getting metal with vital-essence to put under the mattress you sleep on)
Healing Lessons with Old Wupo
Go shopping for training aids with Dashuijie (look for stuff for Wotjeo too, jewelry? hat?)
Spirit Strength tutor (already paid for)
Lessons with Xue Min
Spar with Lumang and Big Bailei (social version)
Wotjeo said there was a spirit in the “shower” of your wooden cave, go talk to it
Teaching friends?

Schedule next week, order not set
Elder Xingqi
Lessons with Administrator Un
Elder Body Tempering Techniques

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
1. W - every other option seems like a 'do you shoot yourself in the foot? Y/N' option.
2. E. - learning a defensive technique, preferably dedicated towards making us like Senator Armstrong from Metal Gear
C. Gotta play with the new toy.

edit - Can we just ask the disciples if we can take the test twice, quick, trying our Life dantian? It doesn't take long, iirc?

Zodiac5000 fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Sep 15, 2020

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

W
E: Imperial Language Lessons. Let's achieve fluency.
C

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Zodiac5000 posted:

edit - Can we just ask the disciples if we can take the test twice, quick, trying our Life dantian? It doesn't take long, iirc?

You can ask. You do.

The Inner Disciple glares at your grumpily. "No, you can't take the test twice. Do you see how many people are waiting? This is going to take all afternoon as it is. Now hurry up and put your hand on the darn diamond, kid."

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
W

Anything else will put us in the remedial classes. Maybe we need those since we're new to cultivating life on our own, but Wotjeo would be bored and he can fill us in on the advanced classes. It's also a black mark on our record, better to show off.

F

I'm most interested in some of the inward looking stuff in dreamwalking, I'd like to find the Rubia Layer again

N - find the bees and see if we can make a deal

Mr. Prokosch fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Sep 15, 2020

OfChristandMen
Feb 14, 2006

GENERIC CANDY AVATAR #2
Edit because we only have 1 Action:

W Dream Silver, it's what we're best at and these diamond tests have a lot of implications.

C now let's try our new dantain.

OfChristandMen fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Sep 15, 2020

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

W.

R.
Let's keep on doing lessons with her, to keep that on the board.

E. Brawling training. Let's get back to building a solid fighting core to defend ourselves, and we can use the CP we have to speed it up.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

W

C, preferably at the maze where we opened if we're allowed to, if not then go to Old Man Oak's grove and barter with him for access, so we can secretly cultivate there.

R I'd prefer to do this early in the week if we can, so we can touch the mystery box before we go cultivate in the grove. I wanna see what happens when we draw both life and dream silver close to our body.

KittyEmpress fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Sep 15, 2020

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

OfChristandMen posted:

E is a very attractive choice given that we have 20 unspent CP. Proposing Cultivation Lessons, since we don't really know how to cultivate, only gather for Wotjeo and now is the time to improve that skill.

Cultivation lessons means telling someone we can't trust that we have a Life dantian, which is very bad. Consider changing your vote. R is also almost surely a better choice than a random tutor, but I guess the same warning should apply to her as well.

W. We know how small Pumie's dream silver is, and we have no idea how big the Life dantians are. Maybe they started out mid-dawn? Who knows? No reason to check here.

C See if we are allowed to use the maze. Otherwise, make a deal with Grandfather Oak to try it in his grove. Maybe someone there could even give us pointers.

e: only one slot

Dr Subterfuge fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Sep 15, 2020

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

LLSix will Xue min notice our new dantains? and will it be trouble if she does?

Shinarato
Apr 22, 2013
W

For training:
E for a defensive technique that's more generally useful (such as the skin hardening mentioned earlier).

Shinarato fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Sep 16, 2020

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Toughy posted:

LLSix will Xue min notice our new dantains? and will it be trouble if she does?

That sounds like a question for yourself.

BHB
Aug 28, 2011
1. W

2. E: Throwing
C

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Wait, since we already voted on last week, and what we didn't do last week carried over, isn't this whole week already set?

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

W

E - Imperial Language probably should push to fluent

Nothingtoseehere fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Sep 16, 2020

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

W

E: Imperial Language tutoring
G

We've got a shitload of CP and a private language tutor will get us fluent faster than the free classes

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Wait, since we already voted on last week, and what we didn't do last week carried over, isn't this whole week already set?

That’s what I forgot. Xue Min lessons carried over to. You only have 1 free action.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

W
C

Let's get started on cultivating Life madra, either at Old Man Oak's place, or at the hedge maze, Qianni mentioned that it can be used as a cultivation site, though maybe that one's depleted for now.

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

W

C, preferably at the maze where we opened if we're allowed to, if not then go to Old Man Oak's grove and barter with him for access, so we can secretly cultivate there.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001
W

C

Polgas
Sep 2, 2018

With one hand he saves gebs. With the other he commits goblin genocide. A true neutral.

1. W

2. F
Find those spirit bees to make a deal and hook up Wotjeo with a supplier of honey.

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012
W. Though I can see the argument for 'X' since that's what we started with, we've since been told it's okay to cultivate normally.
O I like the idea of going to Old Man Oak's thicket to meet a Life spirit who might have some insights regarding our new dantian.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

OfChristandMen posted:

Edit because we only have 1 Action:

C now let's try our new dantain.

Mid Fall - (Nuli, Water Week(5), Day 1) continued

You place your hands on the diamond and cycle Wotjeo’s Dream Silver madra into the head-sized diamond exactly the same as you have several times before. Just like every time you’ve done this, the diamond glows brightly.

The irritable Inner Disciple who is holding the diamond grunts in something like surprise. “Diamond?” For the first time, he looks at you and notices your silver robes. He grunts again, marginally more polite he tells you. “You pass. Elder Yun Hui likes to give these little tests pretty often but you shouldn’t have anything to worry about for a while. You can probably skip his lessons for the next few weeks if you want.”

You think that sounds like a terrible idea. Voluntarily skipping out of Elder lessons like Liuxue and several other of your fellow disciples do sounds crazy to you.

The irritable Inner Disciple steps around you, stops face to face with your bear brother, grunts angrily and steps around him too. As the next disciple in line puts their hands on the diamond you hear his annoyed mutters to himself, “Arrogant great house kids ruining the curve for the rest of us and putting on airs just because they got a head start.”

Mid Fall - (Nuli, Water Week(5), Day 2)

You have breakfast with Liuxue, as usual, this morning. The first thing the shamrock-green-haired girl greets you like nothing has changed and chatter happily away about how she hopes the Viridian and the spirit you met last week kill each other. You’re a little uncomfortable with the conversation but you’re more grateful that she didn’t ask you what happened last week. Fortunately, you don’t usually spend much time together during the second half of the week, so she must not have even noticed you were hurt.

Together, Wotjeo and the two of you follow behind Bčiké. All four of you walking at the giant tortoise’s slow pace like usual.

Before starting the morning exercises Elder Yun Tzu beckons everyone to gather around her. The tall woman’s massive muscles ripple with obvious strength even while making a casual gesture like that. “Some of you are probably wondering if I’ll be reducing the size of my class in the same way that Elder Yun Hui did yesterday. Unfortunately, I will. You have all had adequate time to demonstrate your commitment to Luxing Traveling Academy and improving yourselves. For the next five weeks, I’ll be teaching courses in Body Tempering Techniques like I did at the beginning of your academic year. The week after that, there will be a contest. If you are not at least mid-quartz by then, you will have no chance of victory, so I suggest you all redouble your efforts. Group lessons for both dantian cultivation and physical cultivation will be offered again starting next week as well. You should go to all the free lessons you can. Enough about the future, it’s time to get pumped today.”

From the start, you feel like you have much better control over you strength now. Does that mean you’ve improved your physical cultivation from rough to cobbed? You’re not sure but you must be close. You resolve to give Lumang his training aids back after you finish exercising.

At the end of the lesson, you look for Lumang, but can’t find him. You do spot Big Bailei and she tells you, “GOOD TO SEE YOU LOOKING HEALTHY! I WAS WORRIED WHEN LU AN TOLD US YOU WERE BUSY WITH A LONG MISSION YOUR HEALER TEACHER FORCED ON YOU AND WEREN’T GOING TO BE ABLE TO SPAR WITH US LAST WEEK. LUMANG TOOK OFF AS SOON AS THE LESSON ENDED, BUT HE WAS WORRIED ABOUT YOU TOO. YOU GOING TO BE ABLE TO JOIN US THIS WEEK?”

Confused, you nod your head. Why would Lu An lie like that?

Wotjeo silently sighs at you. Your bear brother silently explains, “Healer Zhe Zhuru probably told her to, to explain where we were while recovering from opening our Life dantians.”

You nod your head more firmly and silently think back.”Oh. That makes sense.”

Experience
You gain 27.3 physical cultivation xp

Changed rank names to be more ~thematic~. Diamond now goes rough, cobbed, high, polished, next tier.

Schedule this week, order not set
-find a time slot to include a vote about buying spirit honey for wotjeo
Lu An interaction (ask Lu An about getting metal with vital-essence to put under the mattress you sleep on)
Go shopping for training aids with Dashuijie (look for stuff for Wotjeo too, jewelry? hat?)
Spirit Strength tutor (already paid for)
Lessons with Xue Min
Spar with Lumang and Big Bailei (social version)
Wotjeo said there was a spirit in the “shower” of your wooden cave, go talk to it
Cultivate Wotjeo’s and your life dantians. - Needs a vote on where

Schedule next week, order not set
Elder Xingqi
Lessons with Administrator Un
Elder Body Tempering Techniques

LLSix fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jan 8, 2021

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
I don't vote much, but I wanted to say I still really enjoy this.

Thanks LLSix.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

So current math on the idea of breaking through to the next tier of Diamond before the test:

At current XP gain, if everything stayed the same (Bracers, Elder level teaching, etc, so you know... unlikely) is 6 weeks/AP. Unless we get a lot of bonuses from buying training aids, we're unlikely to hit it, since it would mean needing to dedicate 6 total slots (when we have, I think, 3 a week to vote on), at the same time when we stop getting free spiritual cultivation lessons.

We probably will not break through to high before this testing tournament.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

KittyEmpress posted:

So current math on the idea of breaking through to the next tier of Diamond before the test:

At current XP gain, if everything stayed the same (Bracers, Elder level teaching, etc, so you know... unlikely) is 6 weeks/AP. Unless we get a lot of bonuses from buying training aids, we're unlikely to hit it, since it would mean needing to dedicate 6 total slots (when we have, I think, 3 a week to vote on), at the same time when we stop getting free spiritual cultivation lessons.

We probably will not break through to high before this testing tournament.

what if we go into the forest and bench press some big spirits

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Adventuring gives xp returns way outside the curve so long as you're willing to almost die.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

We also can't really focus in on what XP we get for adventuring. We got a moderate bit of healing, a moderate bit of spirits strength, and a little bit of social. Overall it clocked out to be more than any non Jironou lesson (34 xp total) but spread between 3 categories.

Still down to do adventures though. And I''m sure we will find plenty of thing to heal potentially, though I doubt healing XP is something we will be struggling for.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Do skills have a cap or just techniques? We might hit the skill cap on healing if we're doing 2 or 3 healing actions a week.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

It's under our dantian in terms of what skill governs it max, which following the 2 per (.X) would mean if we don't advance wotjeo at all, the cap is 10.

Seeing as it's an Extreme difficulty skill that requires 114 xp to get to level 6, I doubt we'll ever cap it.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Mr. Prokosch posted:

Do skills have a cap or just techniques? We might hit the skill cap on healing if we're doing 2 or 3 healing actions a week.

Yes, but I'll be surprised if you hit the cap.

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

Plus it sounds like this month we're going to be focused not on Healing but on its extreme difficulty sub-skill Low-Madra Healing. Which if raised to our current cap of 10 in spiritual skills would provide a 50% madra discount on all healing (this is in addition to the Body of Glory and Healer's Foundation bonuses). Healing provides a nearly bottomless XP sink even before we learn additional extreme sub-skills.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

I think we should think about how we want to allocate our training and action slots in the medium term, as opposed to just week-to-week. We've got what, five? And we've committed two to being the best healer & keeping Elder Qianni happy with us. We'll probably need to commit two more to general training, whether that means cultivation training with elders or our older friend, leaving what seems to me about one action per week free. I think that means we ought to be looking at doing an adventure every other week, and using the off-week to either shore up weaknesses (*cough* fighting skills *cough*) or search for ways to get more actions (social skills to free up time? no idea).

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Yeah, I'd like to vote on longer term schedules but at the moment you're right, most of the schedule has solidified and we're only voting on 1 or 2 wild cards now. I'd be happy if one of those slots was just a tutoring slot if we can afford it. Then a dreamwalking and adventuring slot.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Mr. Prokosch posted:

Yeah, I'd like to vote on longer term schedules but at the moment you're right, most of the schedule has solidified and we're only voting on 1 or 2 wild cards now. I'd be happy if one of those slots was just a tutoring slot if we can afford it. Then a dreamwalking and adventuring slot.

Do you mean Pumie being tutored or Pumie tutoring?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
gently caress this. We need a potion master or someone to grow our rear end some energy beans, Pronto.

This post had nothing to do with me being barely awake and needing coffee myself. :colbert: