Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Well I picked an interesting time to start following this thread.

This is an extremely hosed up universe that you've created here, LLSix, and I hope Pūmié finds a place where she can eventually live in peace.

I initially thought all the adults were just sadistic and incompetent, but when you're dealing with poo poo like man-eating plants and Devourers all over the place, I can *kind of* see how such a barbaric society arose?

I'm really interested in what the Matriarchs are hiding, and why this society is constructed the way it is.

I also suspect that every human outside the Valley sees this whole region as a place where no person could possibly survive, so they'll be shocked if they ever encounter Pūmié or her people.

As far as the new people we've encountered though, I worry that they might be the ones who will rain lightning onto the valley in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Galick posted:

Worth noting that the Cradle series that LLSix mentioned as being a great example of the cultivation genre is free for the next four days!

Thanks! I just downloaded it.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

I wonder whether our Black Robe friend can gather from non-living vital essence sources.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

JT Jag posted:

New theory: all humans have the innate ability to gather madra, but the the tribes of the Aestia Valley conduct the bonding process to seal that ability away, nurture a dependence on their companion, and (by the nature of each tribe only using one specific companion) engender loyalty to your tribe. The Matriarchs presumably lose this limitation upon becoming Matriarchs and possibly merging with their spirit companion.

That poem did talk about making a sacrifice...perhaps the ultimate sacrifice for the clan leader is their spirit companion? They do store a poo poo ton of power...

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Betraying spirit animal pacts is probably a bad habit to get into anyway.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

We could've just given him the slice of meat that fell back into our bag before we left.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Send the bird back to let her know we are safe and that we were separated from Elder Minaro.

Visit the man's sister and learn how to cultivate on our own.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Zodiac5000 posted:

So we've gotta be back in the valley in like two years for the Luchamadra. Curada took a bunch of time to adventure, guess we are too, and that can be our timeline?

DMT

Guys, we *can't* go back to the valley at this point. We already know too much of the truth, and the Matriarchs will absolutely have us killed for that. Even reciting a poem was a death sentence for that one guy.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Yeah. Our doomsday dreams are always about foreigners destroying our clan. The less outsiders know about our clan the better.

Also, very unlikely those other clans are getting metal weapons from the Valley. No one in our clan would brave the tunnels for that and our weapons are too rare outside the clan for others to trade regularly.

The Camois wouldn't *have* to brave the tunnels though. They are amazingly dextrous jumpers/climbers and would be uniquely suited to just go over the mountain ranges instead.

This would likely occur to them, and I doubt they would pass up the advantages of doing so. As long as they keep it a closely guarded secret, they can pretend they behave just like all the other clans and reap the rewards of a monopoly.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

1. B
2. Q

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

B

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Write-in: To make up for the situation, let her know that we've only recently arrived and could use some info about life here.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

A

Didn't the older student imply there was supposed to be a place for cultivation here?

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

LLSix posted:

Someone please pick a number between 1 and 3.

The only whole number between one and three is two, so two!

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

What would you recommend after recently catxhing up on Cradle? Preferably a finished series.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Mr. Prokosch posted:

H- Tell him that the crystal clearly showed Dimly Shining until we were told not to use madra when we cycled the madra, which didn't even make sense. We tried our best to do it right and use madra but not use madra. When he let us use our madra, it was dimly shining. We're still learning imperial so maybe we didn't understand. If he wants, we can go back to our sponsor, elder Qianni, and discuss how many of these stones we should get. Or he can bring up the crystal now, and then everyone can judge the light for themselves. Also, can he please update the "filthy" in our report, Wotjeo took a shower and is quite clean now.

This is like 50% lie, 25% provocation because he's been a real piece of poo poo to us, and 25% honest confusion over how we were supposed to not use our madra when we used our madra? I think Pumie would realize now that an early dawn is the same as an Ore and polite as we've been, we need to make a stand right now that we are a LEAD (probably dimly shining?) and not some baby Ore. We earned that.

I like this

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

B

Also, we should ask the servants not to bow to us, and to act normally, when we're alone. Pumie might think it is easier to talk that way. Also, earning the trust of the servants could prove very useful down the line.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

I think we should go with A for now. We're new at this and not really sure how our abilities line up with this technology. We don't want to accidentally hurt someone by biting off more than we can chew here.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

LLSix posted:

I just lost my job thanks to coronavirus, joining millions of other people, I know. Between the mental and emotional exhaustion of scrambling to find a new one, and the physical exhaustion from the ongoing effort to unpack after moving I'm too tired to update today.

I'm so sorry you're going through this too. Take all the time you need and we'll be here when you're feeling up to it again.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

LLSix posted:

If S or Z had won, I'd have attached Liuxue or one of your other friends to the scene probably. I have a different idea for D as a result of goon comments (I do read all the posts, even if they don't get selected. Usually several times!)

As your relationship improves with people, you'll have more control over who shows up in scenes, which will allow them to help you more.

Try it and find out. In this case, your nutrition lesson increased your knowledge of body tempering techniques. Body tempering techniques is the skill that controls how quickly your physical cultivation rises, so you probably don't want Wotjeo to miss it.

Are there any portraits you'd be willing to give the characters? Since this is shaping up to be a very socially-oriented game, it would help me keep track of the cast better. If I'm the only one this would help, then feel free to ignore it.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Lessons are likely much more valuable than a VEA, as that was her initial offer.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

A

This is a calculated risk and a supervised experiment. We should go for it.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Ask the servants to give us a tour of as much as they can. Even the most obvious stuff they would expect the smallest child to know.

Pumie isn't from here, and I think she realizes how much stuff she's probably missing out on after the kitchen incident.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

G then.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Let the servants cook for us, but be extra thankful for it.

It's weird that we're preventing the servants from doing anything and sort of getting in the way.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

B
H

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

A

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

I

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

P

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

KittyEmpress posted:

I feel like the thread basically turned a Silver Beae into a... Chamoi? The goat ones. She knows potion making and healing, she's vegetarian, she is not fond of fighting or killing...

Given that she was sort of a black sheep (bear?), it makes sense for her to deviate.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Do we remember any of the characteristics of these spirits from our conversations with Healer Curada back home?

1. B 2. EFL 3. TX

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

I'm a little worried that Pumie is going to get caught up in a lot of problems for not being on board with spirit taming/enslavement/genocide. I don't think she understands enough about the Imperial culture to pick up on this yet.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

What do you mean by Once-Born? I don't understand that word.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Double Plus Undead posted:

I'm really curious about this, does everyone have a Dantian but most people don't have it big enough to Cultivate? Does everyone in the valley have a Dantian because of the bond with a spirit at birth? If the valley was larger or less dangerous, would we have a caste of non-cultivators like the empire does?

I'd ask in game but this doesn't seem like a question Pumie would think to ask.

I suspect that the Once-Born are just people who haven't figured out how to cultivate for whatever reason. I'm sure it's totally manageable with a little help, but they'd rather just build up a convenient class system on top of it.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

This Life dantian is going to be incredibly dangerous...like snuffing-out-a-life-with-a-glance dangerous.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

D

He wants to see our max? Let's show him our max!

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Be conspicuously humble but thankful for the complement.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

FE

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Mr. Prokosch posted:

E

Letting her know when he shows up is an alright favor to ask. Cultivating seems to take too much concentration to pay attention to when the teacher arrives. Let's chat with the other students while we keep an eye out so we're not just bored. Maybe we'll be less scary to the people who are just scared of us, and we'll be able to feel out who is outright hostile?

BA

Turning in the dantians is the only thing we can really attach someone we know to. I don't think Liuxue is perfect for this, but she has a team of servants she can employ and she can help us negotiate so long as she doesn't sabotage it with petulance.

I kind of want to hang out with Zhuque but I think Wotjeo needs some love. Let's spend a day with him, doing whatever he wants and getting his perspective on life here lately.

This

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

LLSix posted:

Sorry this update is taking so long. The first draft got away from me and started to take the game in a bad direction so I had to scrap it and start over. Almost done now though.

Did Wotjeo get angry at us in the alternate universe?