Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
A.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
I.

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
h.

just try to kill him and be done with this. Play stupid games win stupid prizes.

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
Keep the image up all the time, like a video game shadow clone.

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
D.

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
1. C
2. N.

We heal, but only for VENGEANCE!

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
1) What apprenticeship do you pursue this year?
C.

2) What do you do with your remaining time?
N.
M.
O.

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
Being an RTS commander with a tech tree for our friends would be cool. I'm more down with being a very pretty healer who can trap you inside your own nightmares while you savagely maim yourself, stab you with a lightsaber, and stop your heart by poking your forehead once you're down for the count. Nobody fucks with the person who knows the Dim Mak, and I assume that if anybody is going to learn that, it's healers.

edit - also, avoiding attacks via illusions rules, and scratches itches that only Final Fantasy XI did previously.

Zodiac5000 fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Aug 20, 2019

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
Is calling attention to somebody in a group setting and asking them publicly if they want to share when you have an explicit goal in mind for what they share not pressuring them where you're from?

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
isn't being a peacenik getting our poo poo kicked in repeatedly? I mean, I get the appeal of team friendship, even if I think it's odd, but at some point do people want to stop getting their teeth kicked in?

N. X.

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
B.

Woo! Eventually we'll get better at this, just gotta take time and keep practicing.

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
A.

No sense not trusting dad on this one, one assumes he's actually very good at hitting things to death or injury. Thunk a knife into the bear and pray.

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
Pumie having a weapon and being willing to fight with it may be a big enough surprise to the group that we win one or two at first? We don't have a stellar track record of putting up an actual fight so people probably won't see it coming. All we have to do is not miss with the opener and we hopefully win one out of sheer luck.

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
A.
J.

We didn't spend multiple updates getting here to throw it away. I'm a little surprised that we're being given a vote to immediately bail on our chosen path with all the emphasis on not being deterred so far.

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
You would vote for something you can eat. A shameful fish.

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
At least now we're being beaten up in front of people, and it will help teach us how to fight in the future. Anything to avoid going back to getting the poo poo kicked out of us in the dark, alone, putting up no fight, and accomplishing absolutely nothing from it.

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
D. N. R.

Not that meeting new people isn't cool, but we've got a pretty big cast of characters already, and adding another to occupy update space seems like overkill. I guess I'd be down with a 'yes, but offscreen/have it be done with GM's discretion' or something?

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
A.

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope

JosephWongKS posted:

If we learn to tame a squad of rabbits, we can train them to bring us edible forest vegetables on an ongoing basis. Short term investment, long term gains.

you want a rabbit to bring us the thing that it eats? I'm not sure they're that smart.

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
I like the idea of using disney princess powers to attract wild game we can kill for our Dad, but befriending them seems fine.

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
I hope at some point Pumie gets over her revulsion at violence and becomes more willing to fight/hurt her bullies. I'm still steamed we couldn't just stab Decavo in the chest at the luchamadra. We were more willing to let our family get exiled, ruining Mama and Papa's lives, than to risk killing somebody who has systematically bullied us for years (who we ended up maiming anyway). Pumie must be a saint or be dumb as hammers. I'm a fan of "Talk poo poo get hit".

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
Oh sure, it's not easy, but being unwilling to even risk that hardship in the face of somebody you know for a fact would kill you if given half a chance, and where the consequences of losing the fight is the complete destruction of your life as you know it, and your parents lives... Just seems weird to just completely reject it out of hand. Sure it might kill him, but healers are there, it might not. What it would have done for sure is give her another leg up in a fight where her and her parents livelihoods on the line against somebody who has literally tormented her for years.

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
I dunno, maybe I'll end up being the part of Pumie's mind that wants to fight back, and has not taken kindly to years of systematic abuse and is ok hurting an enemy if it means that her friends, family, and self are safe. Decavo could have died from the maiming he gave himself - I'm unconcerned about the moral hazard of killing somebody who has done literally everything in his power to establish that he is a threat to us, and rejected every opportunity to deescalate. Risking the life of somebody who attacked us and is more than willing to kill us and is putting us in clear and immediate danger does not make me worried that we would be destined for a life of unrestrained bloodshed. His death is on his own head and the heads of those who put him in that position. It wasn't even a guaranteed kill or anything, it's a spear strike in a setting where healers can shove your guts back in.

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
Well, compared to all our other stats are we are just dumb as a sack of hammers so it makes sense. Pretty strong and very good at spiritual matters though!

If there are folks super into the team friendship stuff by all means, they can play worker placement, but I do question the methodology so far (Helping Chuno over Goya stands out as a 'wait, what? why?' item). There are fifteen named people on the list of people to teach, plus options to add a bunch more people. I have any opinion at all about maybe a third of them, and one of those is Chuno (who I have strong negative feelings for). If I voted and my vote got picked, it would literally blow up the entire 'plan' of team friendship because I would kick almost all of them to curb, and I dont' want to just wreck somebody's sandcastle even if I think it'd make for a better story.

Zodiac5000 fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Sep 20, 2019

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
DM

Works well enough.

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
CK

We're a child, we're exhausted, we're doing strenuous physical exercise constantly. Let's just sleep.

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
I still have concerns about the fact that "our friend only beats us more than half the time because we're tired" is the bright side of this for us. I still think pulling back from plan friendship slightly for more more personal buttkicking potential, be it fists or kung fu magic, is warranted.

C.

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
Wow Pumie, you are dumb as a sack of hammers. I assumed that 'using spirit strength' would be something like socking somebody in the jaw, or grabbing and ripping a weapon out of their hands. "Voluntarily almost die in a training exercise to score a single point, wasting a whole shitload of our time and the clan's resources" was not how I pictured that going. Yeesh Pumie. I can't really fathom the thought process that went behind 'tank a spear strike for funzies' there but I guess I'm not eight anymore?

C.

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
Being a vegetarian successfully got us into a situation where we were out-negotiated by a literal rabbit. Meanwhile eating spirit animal meat one time years ago is still listed as a boost to our physical stats. I'm not really a fan of the vegetarianism choice in terms of cost/benefit.

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
I guess I should clarify that I'm not saying drop vegetarianism right now (like folks said, it's still early), but that we should probably give the benefits and costs a hard look if we're so dumb that we intentionally ate a spear strike to the torso for nothing (because meat is good for healing, reinforced by Curada a moment ago) and if we can't take what might be a bad deal (or maybe good one!) from animal spirits without making it worse.

We can't assume that benefits we may get later must outweigh the costs we pay for our choices. Our life is harder for not eating meat/focusing on social links and it does not guarantee to be easier later - I am skeptical at the idea that team friendship is inherently better in the long term than personal development. We have to be able to turn decisions into positive outcomes through followup decisions, and I am concerned that our record of doing that is hit-and-miss, much like our knifethrowing.

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
His signature move appears to be 'lose horribly and say I'm good' so I am *terrified* at the idea of Felero teaching us, but hot drat if we turned into the Silver Bear version of Mr. Bill (oooohh nooooooOOOOoooo!) I'm in for that ride.

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
Tiny little Pumie, ENORMOUS Wojteo. Then she triggers spirit's strength and punches you so hard you can see the curvature of the earth. I support this plan.

C.

I assume the clan giving the healer resources works on a very practical manner. "Uh, sure, you don't need to give your healer good cultivation access, but then you are going to a healer that has very few reasons to help you out and has lower quality tools to do so. Caveat Emptor"

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
Of course he is. That means he isn't teaching! Nice try, Minaro. Nice try.

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
Dream scenario for the Minaro apprenticeship: Minaro just sits in his cave when not teaching, making dank memes he never shows off to anybody and cultivating. Becoming his apprentice opens up a world of dick/butt memes that he scrawled on cave walls in invisible madra ink, and how to make the elusive Loss.cave painting.

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
He IS just a goony jackass who lives in a weird hole in the ground! Yesssss. The appeal of going Healer main path, teacher sub-path is strong...

edit - I also deeply enjoy that Pumie's skin is so thick and her expectations on abuse are so high at this point her internal monologue is like "Well, he insults me a lot, but he's never actually beat me like a rented drum, or put me in a situation where I was beaten like one so he's a cool dude!"

DOUBLE edit - He also would probably end up teaching us a bunch of potion brewing stuff, because his teaching methods appear to include giving some sort of adderall potion to good performers so they study harder?

Zodiac5000 fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Oct 9, 2019

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
Hmm... other perk is that we get beaten up enough that we could easily offer ourselves up as a guinea pig for Minaro's potions if he tries going into making healing potions! Curada AND Minaro get to have fun trying something new then!

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
I love the idea of that goony weirdo inventing an entirely new path, slamming all his hybridized techniques into it, and declaring that he is the greatest Teacher the valley has ever known based on that. Riding on his coattails would absolutely be an amazing way to learn what I assume are unique skills literally nobody else but matriarchs might know, but it will get our asses beat more, I bet.

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
Elder minaro being desperate for validation, a giant goon, and him being dunked on by curada has made me start picturing him as waluigi in look and sound.

Zodiac5000 fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Oct 9, 2019

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
And presumably literally the best teacher short of the matriarch. Let's not sell our goony pal short.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope

LLSix posted:

Healer Curada mimes wiping a tear away. "Ah, those were good days."

I swear to god if Curada isn't our primary teacher I will riot. Also we would 100% get fired from teaching if Minaro pawned it off on us.