Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Blackstar the Harbinger

quote:

How did you travel from the future to the present day?

It was supposed to be a simple training mission from the Academy. Get dropped off in the wilderness kilometres from anywhere and then you have to make your way back any way you can. No electronics, it's meant to be a test of your survival skills. I hated it from the start and that's before I got lost. I'm a city girl, my idea of roughing it is skipping my morning cup of synthkaf, So there I am wandering around in circles in the woods when I come across this abandoned bunker. Looked like it had been empty since the invasion but I figured hey, maybe I could find a map or at least some supplies that might have been left there.

Instead I found something way worse. The upper levels were deserted sure. But as I got lower and lower down things looked more and more like someone was living here. Out in the middle of nowhere. Imagine my shock when I burst into what looked like a fully equipped lab in the basement. A lab occupied by Dr Mobius no less! You have no idea who that is do you? Look let's just say he's 4th on AEGIS's most wanted list and leave it at that. "I don't know how you tracked me to my secret lair hero, on the eve of my greatest triumph. But now it's time to die!" With that he snatched up a Gatling Laser and opened fire on me. Shame for him I can absorb laser blasts. Unfortunately I don't have the best control over my powers so I reflected them straight back into the generator he was stood next to us. "You fool you've destroyed my Chornoton generator." Only I hadn't I'd damaged it, and it started leaking before I could respond. I took a burst of energy from it. Somehow it reacted with my unique physiology and I ended up dislocated in time and space. And I thought my day couldn't get any worse.

quote:

What keeps you from returning to the future?

Not a lot actually, I'd only have to jump-start societies research into research into time-travel by what about 60? 70? years, synthesise several elements that I'm pretty sure haven't been discovered yet and calculate the 4th dimensional math necessary to put me in the right place and time on computers less advanced than the toy communicator i had when I was three years old. I should have it all done by next week maybe a fortnight tops. Oh by the way in the future we invented this thing called sarcasm you might want to get used to it.

I might be able to cobble together some sort of distress beacon that'll let the staff back in my time know what happened to me. That's if I can get the resources I need. But we're talking the kind of resources only a government would have, and they're not gonna talk to some random Chiquita who claims to be from the future. I'll need to persuade an established hero of some sort to put in a good word for me.

quote:

Why don’t you have perfect recollection of the future?

It's the Quantum Cockroach effect. The world is a large and heavily interconnected place. Even the most basic change like a cockroach changing the direction it's crawling along the ground at the Angeles crater can cause an earthquake in Ulan Bator. Just by being here I've already affected the timeline. And the more I do the more changes I make the further from "my future" we get. I mean we're not talking about massive changes not yet. But things are already changing and according to the theory what happens is that the timeline starts to self- correct and for a while I'll have cognitive dissonance between what I remember happening and what actually happened. Eventually though all I'll remember is the new time line. It's more than a little scary. What if I forget something that makes me who I am? Maybe I should start writing a diary or something about what I remember?

quote:

What is the most important part of your future that you want to avert?

Well I was going to warn you about some German guy. Hiller? something like that. Who's going to take over Germany and start a massive war that gets a lot of people killed. But it turns out I'm 20 odd years late for that one. Look I didn't exactly get the best marks in 20th Century history ok? Still i'm pretty sure about one thing. In a few years a scouting fleet from Kilthraxi is going to turn up. They're an alien race that has some sort of weird relation between fighting and religion "to fight is to display the soul of yourself" or some crap like that. Anyway they try to test themselves against earths mightiest heroes. Which goes great until their leader is assassinated by one of your villains. Then the gloves come off and it stops being a gentlemanly challenge and they start dropping BFR's on us. BFR's? Oh sorry, Big Freaking Rocks there's a lot of big cities around now that won't be after that. So Humanity starts pulling out all the stops. And well the Kilthraxi aren't around any more. It's one of the biggest stains on our history and if I can prevent it I probably should. Even if it does screw with the timeline .

quote:

Why must you join this team specifically to achieve your mission’s goals?

Are you kidding? These guys and girls and things of indeterminate gender. They are the examples, the first generation of modern heroes. The touchstones. When people are facing a difficult dilemma they ask what would Hero X do? Every 30-40 years someone will be condemned as the New Hero Y? There's all sorts of myths and legends surrounding them So if I want to get the help I need to win over the most influential heroes of the generation. I need to gain their trust and their respect. I just wish I knew which of the many stories about them were true.

quote:

Hero Name: Blackstar
Look: Woman, Black, Average face, casual clothing, Hi-tech Costume

Abilities: Energy absorption and redirection

Labels:
Danger 0
Freak 0
Savior +2
Superior +2
Mundane -1

Moves:

Stick to the mission:When you defend someone or something critically important to the future (tell us why), you may mark a condition to shift down one Label and shift up Savior before the roll. If you do, you cannot choose to clear a condition for the defend move.

Applied history:When you pierce the mask of someone you believe will shape the future, roll + Savior instead of +Mundane.

Connecting the Dots
You’re from the future, but your knowledge of the past is spotty, intermittent, confused, jumbled. You’re doing your best to put together the clues and your broken memories, though, so you can figure out how this world and its people become the ones you know.

When you push yourself to remember the version of someone that exists in your future, mark a condition and roll + Memories. On a hit, you connect who they are now to who they are in the future; choose the role that they fulfill in the future, and the GM will tell you about their future self. On a 10+, ask a follow-up question. On a miss, they’re not at all who you thought they would be; the GM will choose their role, or tell you that as far as you know, they don’t exist in the future.

Monster: _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Traitor: _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Corruptor: _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Martyr: _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Builder: _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Leader: _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Your Memories score starts at -1, and goes up by 1 (to a maximum of +3) for each name above.

When you write a name above, they gain Influence over you if they did not already have it.

At the start of each session, roll + Savior to find out how your investigations into the timeline have been going. On a 10+, you found a strong lead; choose one figure noted above or one aspect of the future world you can remember, and the GM will reveal to you clear detail on the path that leads to their future form. On a 7-9, you found a lead; choose one figure above or one aspect of the future world and the GM will tell you what lead you have to learn more about their path. On a miss, you’re lost in the present; the GM will tell you how things are so different here, and shift your Labels according to how it makes you feel.

Moment of Truth:
Everything you do could affect the future. For all you know, the fact that you saved that one guy that one time means that now the future is full of pterodactyls. The connections, the ripples, they’re always so hard to track, and you’re still not sure if you’ve helped or hurt—not really. Until now. Now, in this moment, it’s all clear. You can see the course of events laid out before you like a river, and you know exactly what you have to do here, now, to ensure the future outcome you want. You can reshape the future with perfect certainty. Of course, after this, you’ve changed enough of the timeline to invalidate your prior research—reset all the names in your “Connecting the dots” section.

Team Moves:
When you confess to a teammate the difference between what you thought they would be and what they really are, add a Team to the pool, and ask them if you represent a future they’d want. If they say yes, mark potential. If they say no, mark a condition.

When you share a tale of future loss with someone, ask them if they think you have the ability to avert that loss. If they believe you do, mark potential and give them Influence over you. If they don’t, mark Guilty and shift one Label up and one Label down (your choice)

When our team first came together...

We averted a disaster from the future’s history books. What was the disaster? What effect do we hope it had on the timeline?

Relationships:

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ turns away from the hero’s path, according to your history books. You have to prevent that from happening.
You’ve always looked up to _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _, but it’s too awkward to admit it to them now that you’ve met them in real life. Keep it cool, keep it cool.

Influence:
Every member of your team has the power to change the future—your future. Give everyone influence over you.

Ferrosol fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Feb 23, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

thatbastardken posted:

What do you think happened to Dr Mobius in that explosion? If he was here would you try to fight him, or get him to send you home?

Honestly I don't know. I'd say a normal man would be dead due to that much exposure from Chronition particles. I only survived because of my rather unique genetic mutation. Still I wouldn't count him out, he was a monster but he was also a genius. He wouldn't have been working with time-travel unless he thought he had some kind of protection against any possible side-effects. If he had that protection then he could have been blasted back in time like I was. Which come to think of it might explain the speed of decay in the timeline. If you allow for an additional actor from outside the timeline then the math certainly makes more sense.... It's only a hunch, right now but give me a week to run the calculations and I might be able to prove it.

But if he is here... Well I'd have to try and stop him. I don't know how successful I'll be. The things that man was capable of frightened some of the most formidable heroes of my time. But leaving him free to commit his twisted science projects on the defenceless people of this world. I wouldn't be able to look myself in the mirror if I used his work to get me home and abandoned you all to him.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

thatbastardken posted:

Everyone: The incident in Korea a decade ago that cost the world many of it's superheroes is still pretty drat mysterious. Survivor accounts are contradictory, the scientific community has been denied access to the site by government agencies, and attempts to use powers to find out have...mixed results. It's widely believed that a rogue military faction detonated an atom bomb for some reason, but that might not be the truth. Tell me about a rumor you've heard, and why you give it some credence.

I had an ex who was a conspiracy nut and well the Korean War Nuke is second only to who assassinated the Talon Lord in all the crazy conspiracy theories she spouted. Her pet theory was that it was a rogue element of the military which kinda lines up with what you said but she thought it was the Russian military. Apparently the records showed that a large number of Russian generals were "retired" or died in "training accidents" after the incident, which is supposed to be evidence of a purge. I thought the whole thing was loopy at the time. But now that I'm here and see how much power and secrecy your militaries try to maintain relative to the rest of you and I'm not so sure...

quote:

What do you miss most from your own time? And who?

My workshop. It wasn't particularly big or expensive but it was mine and I've always liked tinkering with things and learning how they work. I mean I'm no genius but I had a couple of projects on the go that I might never get the chance to finish. It was a good place to get away from the world and just have time to be me. I just hope SUZI is looking after it for me. I know it's silly to be more worried about a stupid AI than my parents or my brothers, it's just... well I built her myself (with the help of one of my brothers.) and I've shared ideas and thoughts and discussions with her that I'd never dare share with anyone else. The thought of her being wiped out of existence by some random fluctuation in the timeline is frightening.