Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug

Red Star (Volodymyr Lazarenko), the Doomed.

I think a game set in the 1960s needs at least one Good Commie Bastard. Here's a Russian from a no-longer-possible Good Future who's racing to prevent a superhero from starting the nuclear war that makes his timeline stop existing.

quote:

When did you first learn of your doom?

I come from a better world. A kinder world. A world where most of the people of the United States and the Soviet Union were able to set aside their differences and live in peace and understanding. I learned of my doom the day that world and all worlds like it ceased to exist. Someone has changed the past, or rather, WILL change the past. When they did, or do, all timelines in which I exist are eradicated. But with the incredible mental powers I inherited from my parents, I did the impossible: I maintained my existence and threw myself into the new timeline by sheer force of will. I must constantly fight to keep myself here. I could once lift a mountain with my mind; now it is an act of agonizing concentration just to push someone aside.

quote:

Where did you get your sanctuary?

I enrolled myself in this school as part of my quest to stop the man who destroyed my timeline. I can't hope to stop him unless I make allies, and this forward-thinking academy is the only place I can think of to find heroes with tolerant attitudes towards Russia. The school offered spaces for students with... unstable abilities. I claimed that my abilities overwhelm me without regular meditation in a psy-isolated space and was assigned a single-person dormitory with an appropriate chamber. In reality, the chamber only reduces the psychic burden of keeping myself in existence, but I can't possibly explain the whole truth to older heroes and expect them to believe me. I also believe that in this time of paranoia, mentioning to anyone influential that all possible futures end in nuclear war only worsens those fears and makes my doom more likely, regardless of whether or not they believe me. My sanctuary here at the Phoenix Academy could be better: this special dormitory is prominent on the campus and the building is hardly reinforced against attack. But I've at least managed to turn it into something of a reminder of home, even if the Soviet music and art of this time is a little outdated by my standards.

quote:

Why do you oppose your nemesis?
There is a man in this timeline named Aaron Guzmann, known to most as Justice Eagle. He is a famous and powerful American hero from World War II, still widely respected. I alone know that he is losing his mind as he grows old. There is a sickness growing inside him, paranoia and nationalist hate, and he will soon make choices that will make full nuclear war between my homeland and the United States inevitable. When he travels back to the past using a stolen time device and assassinates the Soviet Premier, every living thing on Earth will be destroyed, and I will be wiped from existence. This timeline is a closed loop, and I must break it if any of us are to survive.

quote:

Who, outside of the team, is crucial to defeating your nemesis?

I must convince as many heroes as I can of Justice Eagle's deteriorating state. His ex-partner, the Shield of Liberty, teaches at this academy. I know other sidekicks and allies are still alive somewhere in the world, although many of them have gone into hiding or retired. I do not like killing; I would greatly prefer to save my nemesis. I do not believe he is beyond hope. I believe this timeline's paranoia and propaganda are eating away at him. He is still a good man, but he is a patriot, and he is becoming convinced that he can save America only by destroying the Soviet Union. If his friends can't talk him down, at least they can help me stop him.

quote:

Why does the team matter to you?

I cannot possibly do this alone. I stand no chance against Justice Eagle in a one-on-one fight, and he is politically untouchable. His heroism in Berlin earned him the eternal love of America and the grudging respect of the Soviet Union. No one would believe the ramblings of a mad Russian child, certainly not in this world of nuclear paranoia. From what I suspect of his mental state, I would only accelerate his madness if I contacted him directly with my story. My only hope is to either find evidence of what Justice Eagle is planning or to turn him away from his dark path, and to do that, I will need allies.

Truth be told, I suspect my struggle may be hopeless. But even if my timeline can never come to pass again, perhaps I can at least prevent a nuclear war before causality finally overtakes and destroys me. The world may never know peace like I knew, but I would settle for mankind's survival. To that end, I will live up to what my parents taught me: protect the innocent, and do the right thing, and you will leave the world a better place than when you entered it.

quote:

Hero Name: Red Star
Look: Man, White, Empty Eyes, Unassuming Clothing, No Costume

Abilities: Telekinesis, Psychic Constructs

Labels:
Danger +1
Freak +1
Savior +2
Superior -1
Mundane +0

Doom (0/5):
What brings your doom closer? Whenever you bring your doom closer, mark one box on your doom track. When the track fills, clear it and take one of your Doomsigns. Once you have taken all 5 Doomsigns, you must take "Your Doom Arrives" the next time your doom track fills.
-Overexerting yourself
-Talking about it openly

Doomsigns:

Dark Visions: Mark your doom track to have a vision about the situation at hand. After the vision, ask the GM a question; they will answer it honestly.
Infinite Powers:
Portal:
Burning Bright:
Bolstered

Sanctuary:
You have a place where you can rest, recover, and reflect upon your powers. When you call upon the resources of your sanctuary to solve a problem, say what you want to do. The GM will give you one to four conditions you must fulfill to complete your solution.

Features: A containment system, a meditation space, art, music, and food.

Downsides: Location known to many, easily damaged or tampered with.

Nemesis:
You have a nemesis, an epic and powerful enemy representing and embodying your doom. It’s going to take everything you have to take them down in the time you have left.
Who is your nemesis? Justice Eagle, currently the most respected hero in the world.
At the end of every session, answer the question: Did you make progress on defeating your nemesis? If the answer is yes, mark potential. If the answer is no, mark your doom track.

Team Moves:
When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, give them Influence over you and spend a Team from the pool to clear one box on your doom track.
When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, give them Influence over you and ask if they honestly think there’s hope for you. If they say yes, mark potential or clear one box of your doom track. If they say no, mark a condition or mark your doom track.

When our team first came together...
We paid a high cost for victory. What was it?

Relationships:
You told _______________ all about your doom and the danger you’re in.
You’d love to kiss ________________ before your doom comes.

Influence:
These people matter for what you need to do. Give Influence to two of your teammates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug

thatbastardken posted:

In this timeline, are your parents together? Is there another you in the USSR, and would you ask for their help if you could find them?

I can't be sure, but I have a feeling they are. My father is Yusuf Lazarenko. He is Zakhysnyk, or the Defender in English. I inherited my psychic barriers from him. My mother is Juliet Anders, although she goes by Kateryna Stasiuk. She was a British spy assigned to report back on Soviet activities, but she fell in love with my father. During WW2 she was a telekine that went by Grey Hand.

As for myself, I cannot even guess. If my parents are together and met at the same time as in my own timeline, than I or someone like me could be a year or two younger than myself. But when I grew up, most of my life was spent in a post-Cold War world. I do not know what the dire political climate of this timeline would have done to the personality and beliefs of my parents or my counterpart. Stress and fear make people do terrible things. I'm afraid to learn the truth, and I'm afraid to risk changing this timeline more than I must to save it. It would take desperate times to drive me to seek out my parents or myself, but if I must, I will. The survival of all mankind is at stake.

Dachshundofdoom fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Feb 24, 2019

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug

thatbastardken posted:

Everyone: The incident in Korea a decade ago that cost the world many of it's superheroes is still pretty drat mysterious. Survivor accounts are contradictory, the scientific community has been denied access to the site by government agencies, and attempts to use powers to find out have...mixed results. It's widely believed that a rogue military faction detonated an atom bomb for some reason, but that might not be the truth. Tell me about a rumor you've heard, and why you give it some credence.

I am not from this timeline, so I cannot say for sure, but I do know what happened in Korea in my own world. Perhaps they are related? This was 2 or 3 years between the Great Accord when the USSR and the USA acknowledged an end to tensions and began to disarm.

In short, people fighting in Korea had a disquieting tendency to disappear. In fact, my father once told me that there were more MIA than KIA by the end of the war, but he may have been exaggerating. The United States believed the Soviets were responsible, and the Soviets believed the Americans to be behind it. Eventually, it seems they compared notes and realized that all participants in the conflict were vanishing at equal rates. Shaken, both sides pulled support from the war and a stalemate ensued. The disappearances stopped shortly afterwards, and an accord was reached that split the country into Communist and Capitalist halves.

Why? No one knows. The official explanation was "intervention by an advanced and unknown third party," and I think fear of this outside force may have been part of what ended the Cold War. Perhaps in this world one side or the other learned what was causing it before it became public knowledge, and attempted to stop it with a nuclear weapon?

quote:

Your timeline seemed pretty idyllic. Is anything better in this one? Would it be worth preserving at the cost of your world?

Oh, there were problems. The two superpowers of the world had agreed to disarm and had put an official end to proxy wars, but the damage remained. In fact, many of the minor nations of the world are in better condition in this timeline, at least as of now. I believe part of what brought both sides to the negotiating table was the deteriorating condition of the world in general, not just the Korean Event. The Cold War has done less damage in this timeline, to be frank.

Cuba is still inhabitable. No nerve gas leak has occurred in Kazakhstan, at least not that anyone knows of. The Brazilian Civil War never happened, and as a result significant portions of the Amazon were spared American defoliants and daisy-cutters. Those are just examples, but I could name a dozen more places that were destroyed or forever changed.The Cold War is still burning here, but the world is actually in a better place overall, I think. But would I be willing to preserve this timeline at the cost of my own?

...I do not know. My timeline is synonymous with my existence. I presently exist entirely by force of will. As a hero, I believe that what I should say is "yes." But in the heat of the moment, I fear I might make the human choice of survival over charity. I think that until you face that defining moment, that terrible choice, you cannot say for sure what you would do. That is the difference between who we think we are and who we really are.