Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

GalacticAcid posted:

I don't understand why so many people are down on Keuchel. The projection models generally put him at 190+ innings with an ERA between 3.41 and 3.70.

He's a horse. If the Pirates signed him I'd dance in the street.

I don't think that kind of pitcher isn't the kind of guy they actually need if they're actually going to spend money on pitching. They need the top-end guy, and then they can fill it out with the farm guys who are much more likely to turn out to be No. 2 or 3 guys than No. 1 guys. There's not a bunch of No. 1 starters out there for sure, but patience makes more sense to me than just signing the only guy who is available. Regardless of the gigantic contract they gave out, the Padres aren't going to actually put a 160+MM payroll and someone like Keuchel only really works if you're actually gonna do that. (They SHOULD do that, they just aren't going to because Southern California is a sleepy market amirite)

STAC Goat posted:

People suck.

It would be funny if we find out Harper and Machado were getting $300M offers all offseason and we were just assuming they weren't because they just didn't want to sign with the teams offering them.

I bet it's more likely those $300MM offers are somehow conditional (like the White Sox's offer as reported 8/250) or didn't have any opt-outs (I saw some writers valuing those opt-outs at something like $30+MM). But I think there is something to be said for the fact that in the current era, the teams in the market for an expensive long-term build-around like Bryce Harper and Manny Machado are not teams that are already good, so there could be something to the idea that the players are reluctant to sign with the teams making offers.

The Machado to Padres deal makes a TON of sense (and I'm not just saying that as a diehard Padres fan), and I'm puzzled at the hot take machines spewing out that Manny only likes money and not winning when every team that was putting in effort to get him was bad and basically within a year or two of each other in terms of trying to complete a rebuild.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Feb 20, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
So has there been literally any movement in the markets for Kimbrel or Keuchel? Or Marwin/Gio Gonzalez?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

mentholmoose posted:

So has there been literally any movement in the markets for Kimbrel or Keuchel? Or Marwin/Gio Gonzalez?

From what I heard, there's some interest in Gio, but his price tag is apparently kind of high for the kind of teams that have interest in an innings-eater. Then again, Wade Miley does the same thing and he got like 5M. Kimbrel wanted a 6-year deal at like 15M a year and nobody wants to give a reliever that kind of guarantee. Nobody really has any news on Keuchel because the narrative is 100% BRYCE HARPER ALL THE TIME.

Marwin is one of those cases where I imagine teams view him as a utility guy and don't think they should have to pay a utility guy the kind of money his production numbers indicate he should get paid. That's just speculation though.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Tim Williams from Pirates Prospects asked Nutting about minor league pay & benefits, and got a surprisingly thoughtful but of course ultimately hollow response.

Williams works pretty hard covering the minor league affiliates and it’s clear he cares about the guys he covers. Glad he could use his media access to put the question out there.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/flippingbats/status/1098286634330738690

:eyepop:

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

dear god

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Ouchies.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Josh Harrison has signed a one year dear with the Tigers...thus maintaining the integrity of the Mercer-Harrison middle infield that's persisted since A ball on the 2009 Lynchburg Hillcats

:unsmith:

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Josh Harrison now my favorite player.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
He's lost a step or two but god it rules when he really connects on one, such as this mastodon homer off of Kluber

https://twitter.com/Pirates/status/1021573076235034624

I also think he had a nagging injury last year so hopefully he bounces back. Plus playing in a weaker division should help.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

GalacticAcid posted:

Someone mentioned putting up big numbers despite having a garbage surrounding lineup so thought I'd share this combined WAR total from 1999-2003, spanning Brian Giles's time with the Pirates in the heart of the darkest years:

Kendall's on there too but jfc, 1.013 OPS.

Now post Ricardo Rincon’s numbers 😫

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Meet the teams thread is up. Go post about why your team is cool and good.

Work is dead today so I also tried to make a funny Cubs post, but it slowly morphed from funny to depressing as I wrote it. :shrug:

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Sydin posted:

it slowly morphed from funny to depressing as I wrote it. :shrug:

That's how I feel I would view a writeup of the Cubs this offseason, too.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
https://twitter.com/RobBiertempfel/status/1098342750527852545
:thermidor:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Inspector_666 posted:

N: https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1098271705917739008

V: I hope this means the Padres did the dang thing with Harper too.

Nah, he was doing Elmo impersonations on Le Batard this morning.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Hello I would like my bad baseball team to give Bryce Harper lots of money please and thank you

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

Hell fuckin yea

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
The Nats $300 million offer to Harper apparently contained $100 mill of deferred money, sure sounds like Harper going back to the Nationals is not even close to happening anymore.

quote:

Sources told MLB.com on Wednesday that the Nationals have no plans to give Harper a mega-deal comparable to Machado’s 10-year, $300 million contract with the Padres, likely ending any chance for Washington’s longtime face of the franchise to remain with the club. The Nationals offered Harper a contract worth $300 million over 10 years before the end of the 2018 regular season. Harper and his agent Scott Boras rejected the deal.

Two sources said that roughly $100 million of that offer would have been deferred money, lowering the present-day value of the contract.

https://www.mlb.com/news/bryce-harper-remains-in-phillies-plans

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

mentholmoose posted:

The Nats $300 million offer to Harper apparently contained $100 mill of deferred money, sure sounds like Harper going back to the Nationals is not even close to happening anymore.

https://www.mlb.com/news/bryce-harper-remains-in-phillies-plans

I dunno about you, but I'd take deferred money personally. More money in the long run? Seems more financially sound to me.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

You have to do a net present day value calculation to see if that is true tho and you are also betting on the long run stability of baseball.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

iospace posted:

I dunno about you, but I'd take deferred money personally. More money in the long run? Seems more financially sound to me.

You have to take all the money that they can make from investments and interest into account too. There's a reason why everyone takes the lump sum option when they win the Megamillions.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Not all deferred money is done like Bonilla, who in theory would still have made more money if he hadn't done it and had instead invested it up front

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

You have to take all the money that they can make from investments and interest into account too. There's a reason why everyone takes the lump sum option when they win the Megamillions.

You get more money with the annuity though in the long run? The lump sum is a (significant) fraction of total winnings, and at least with the annuity you have more money coming.

Anyway, content:
https://twitter.com/LeBatardShow/status/1098387811818967040?s=19

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The lump sum probably has a greater net present value at moderate returns compared to the annuity

I am extremely risk averse and would always take the annuity and then use low interest loans if I needed a large purchase/

Anyway! The Phillies should sign Harper now.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

euphronius posted:

The lump sum probably has a greater net present value at moderate returns compared to the annuity

I am extremely risk averse and would always take the annuity and then use low interest loans if I needed a large purchase/

Anyway! The Phillies should sign Harper now.

Does the annuity payout increase to keep up with inflation? If not it seems like you're better off taking the lump sum and just stashing it in a high-yield savings account.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I really doubt that this is the thought process people make when they win the lottery. If they were approaching the situation from an optimization perspective they would be a whole lot more prudent with the cash once they got it.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

It depends. The lump sum is more money in theory but that is discounting human behavior. The annuity makes it more likely you remain rich longer as a hedge against behavior.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Goodpancakes posted:

It depends. The lump sum is more money in theory but that is discounting human behavior. The annuity makes it more likely you remain rich longer as a hedge against behavior.

This is my reasoning

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Goodpancakes posted:

aka: why more people don't just claim a higher number on their w-4s

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

The only reason the Bonilla stuff is even remotely funny is that

a) the mets got scammed by Bernie Madeoff
b) its the mets

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I don’t know how strong a contract right you have in an annuity if the payor is the state so you might as well go lump sum to just have control regardless of NPV analysis

Theoretically the contract right Harper would have against the Nats is stronger but the Nats and the league could realistically fold.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
https://twitter.com/MLBPA_News/status/1098608757293178885

:hai:

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
There's a reason they offer an annuity for much more than the lump sum in lotteries: they think they can make more money than the difference between the two numbers. You're probably better off just taking the lump sum and at least dumping it into a three-fund portfolio that you pull out of to give yourself a "salary." Or you get into a Family Office and have them manage the poo poo for you.

That said, for athletes I can see the value in deferred money. When your job is to travel all the time, especially at a young age, it's super easy to burn money on poo poo you don't need. Having some significant security when your earning days are over and you're a little wiser is a pretty reasonable hedge. For every A-rod that dumped enough of his money into corporate real estate that he made as much from his business as he did from playing, there are 100 guys on the Broke 30 for 30 who throw their money away on bad investments and a gold-plated Hummer.

This post brought to you by my shower thoughts the day after I buy a lottery ticket at the gas station from time to time.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

MLB.TV spring training schedule is up: https://www.mlb.com/live-stream-games/springtraining

There are two baseball games on TV tomorrow :)

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

The Pussy Boss posted:

There are two baseball games on TV tomorrow :)

:stoked: :stoked:

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
WHY IS THE FIRST GAME NOT BROADCAST ON TV???

I need baseball

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

One of them is the Tigers against a local college so you are not missing much

Nobody plays in that game except maybe some prospects

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I love when MLB teams play colleges in ST, it's great to see the Marlins getting crushed by Devry or whatever.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Popete posted:

WHY IS THE FIRST GAME NOT BROADCAST ON TV???

I need baseball

One good thing that's supposed to come out of the Sinclair RSN fiasco is that they plan to broadcast all Cubs ST games, presumably starting next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

They will do one spring, the ratings per game will be 30 and it won’t happen again.