Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

O6-era hockey is a pretty good comp for pre-integration or deadball baseball

This has no bearing on anything, but I love how Original Six is such a wildly inappropriate term.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

howe_sam posted:

The NHL was founded in 1917 (plus the Stanley Cup is older that) and the NFL was founded in 1920. That's not even twenty years after the founding of the AL.

Is there anyone in the history of the NHL or NFL that is seen as an all time great that played before the 50s?

But baseball is pretty unique for having Ty Cobb and Cy Young and Babe Ruth etc.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Jim Thorpe is the only one I can think of

Hockey’s first “great” would have been...Bobby Orr I guess?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

zapplez posted:

Is there anyone in the history of the NHL or NFL that is seen as an all time great that played before the 50s?

In hockey? Geordie Howe's debut was 1946

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

GalacticAcid posted:

Jim Thorpe is the only one I can think of

Hockey’s first “great” would have been...Bobby Orr I guess?

Rocket Richard?

And gently caress I always forget Ted Williams fought in WW2.

I guess my whole thing is any stats pre-war shouldn't count.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Red grange was the 20s

College football was bigger than the nfl then

Jim Thorpe as mentioned.

Bronko Nagurski.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

zapplez posted:

But baseball is pretty unique for having Ty Cobb and Cy Young and Babe Ruth etc.

Not even in the NBA. George Mikan was considered to be the greatest player of all time up until the early 60s, but he played a different game.

That’s the fundamental difference between baseball and the the other big 3 sports. Baseball has always been the same basic game with a few minor tweaks here and there - the DH is probably the biggest one, and that barely made a difference in only one league.

The NFL didn’t have the forward pass until well after its inception, and it wasn’t even widely used until the late 50s. The NBA made massive changes that reinvented the game like the shot clock and the 3 point shot. The NHL didn’t expand beyond a regional pastime until the late 60s, only fielding 6 teams, none of which was further south than Philadelphia. There simply haven’t been changes like that in baseball, so you can still compare eras. Comparing the NBA of even the 70s to 3 decades prior is impossible.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Jean-Paul Hockèy is the greatest of all time and is Wayne Gretzky's real dad although they never met and Wayne never expressed his regret to anyone except me, in a dream.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

GPTribefan posted:

Not even in the NBA. George Mikan was considered to be the greatest player of all time up until the early 60s, but he played a different game.

That’s the fundamental difference between baseball and the the other big 3 sports. Baseball has always been the same basic game with a few minor tweaks here and there - the DH is probably the biggest one, and that barely made a difference in only one league.

The NFL didn’t have the forward pass until well after its inception, and it wasn’t even widely used until the late 50s. The NBA made massive changes that reinvented the game like the shot clock and the 3 point shot. The NHL didn’t expand beyond a regional pastime until the late 60s, only fielding 6 teams, none of which was further south than Philadelphia. There simply haven’t been changes like that in baseball, so you can still compare eras. Comparing the NBA of even the 70s to 3 decades prior is impossible.

It took 20 years before baseball invented balls and strikes don't give me that crap

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Every pre-integration World Series title should be voided, with the obvious exceptions of 1909 and 1925.

Strasburgs UCL
Jul 28, 2009

Hang in there little buddy
https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/1098749489521836032

There is like 0% chance of the Padres actually signing him, but still...

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004

JoeCL posted:

https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/1098749489521836032

There is like 0% chance of the Padres actually signing him, but still...

I hope they do and just fuckin blow the Dodgers out of the water in 2020

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I will laugh/cry so loving hard if the Padres/Reds come out of the offseason completely stacked.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

gently caress it, I'm on board. Go Padres.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
NL 2019 is gonna rock

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

GPTribefan posted:

Lowering the mound, making spitballs illegal, tightening the covering, juicing the core of the ball

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
https://deadspin.com/sb-nation-hired-a-disgraced-pastor-to-lead-a-team-site-1832800373

Sorry, Pirates fans

Strasburgs UCL
Jul 28, 2009

Hang in there little buddy

Intruder posted:

Lowering the mound, making spitballs illegal, tightening the covering, juicing the core of the ball

Replacing balls when they get dirty and scuffed up is a big one too. Using just one ball all game was a huge factor in the deadball era.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

hifi posted:

It took 20 years before baseball invented balls and strikes don't give me that crap
yeah and no one tries to compare players from that era to modern ones. But that level of rule change was settled by about 1890 in baseball, while in other sports more recently as has been pointed out

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I seriously mean it that I hope the Padres sign Harper so that every few weeks I can watch an ESPN game and be like "Oh yeah! Eric Hosmer is a Padre! I forgot."

Like its now one of my big little wants for the '19 season.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Feb 22, 2019

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Lol I thought the dude seemed weird. I was thinking about how bad his post today was.

Hope he gets fired

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
SBN's Pirates site wasn't too bad 10 years ago. What happened?

I do know at some point they changed the name from "Buc 'Em", but many of their blogs (Yankees, Giants) have had a name change over the years.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
It’s still quite good, the comment section is atrocious with a couple of exceptions

They publish a lot of Wilbur Miller (byline WTM) and Alex Stumpf, probably the two best pirates-focused writers around for my money

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I'd talk poo poo but the Cubs SB Nation site is run by Al Yellon, who is absolutely the loving worst so :sigh::hf::sigh:

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Sydin posted:

I'd talk poo poo but the Cubs SB Nation site is run by Al Yellon, who is absolutely the loving worst so :sigh::hf::sigh:

Dumb > Evil

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Intruder posted:

Hell, early baseball the pitcher was almost on the same team as the hitter, the hitter could ask for a low or high pitch.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

zapplez posted:

In hockey, some people discount anything pre-90s because of the ridiculous high rates of scoring in the 80s. People still think of Gretzky as the best, but it always comes with an asterisk to some.

With that said, when comparing players across different eras, no one is really saying that Player A from 1920 is better than Player B from present day. What they are saying is that relative to their peers, Player A had a more impressive career than Player B. It's more of a fun thought experiment comparing players from different eras, and giving a more historical look of how a player actually stacks up.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

so this is a bonkers story from the SI power-rankings article:

quote:

in 2012, SI’s Tom Verducci informed him that he had pulled one ball into the stands his entire career to that point and Votto remembered it
Votto hates giving out souveniers. :kratos:

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

howe_sam posted:

The NHL was founded in 1917 (plus the Stanley Cup is older that) and the NFL was founded in 1920. That's not even twenty years after the founding of the AL.

Who loving cares about the AL? It hasn't been real baseball since the early seventies.

Apr 7, 2003

howe_sam posted:

(also you're completely missing the fact that baseball's rules have been mostly static since 1889 when the leagues agreed to award a base on balls to four. No other sport has been that static, for that long, and that's why MLB records are more important.)

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

if you've ever played one of the baseball management sims (like baseball mogul or Out of the Park Baseball) it's actually hilarious to try simming a league with teams from vastly different eras and just watch the game just break.

Apr 7, 2003

TheFlyingLlama posted:

if you've ever played one of the baseball management sims (like baseball mogul or Out of the Park Baseball) it's actually hilarious to try simming a league with teams from vastly different eras and just watch the game just break.

OOTP fucks this up real bad because they sim deadball era players as just hitting poorly (same contact, less power) instead of applying a modifier to hit distance.

IE, the problem is the sim model.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

OOTP fucks this up real bad because they sim deadball era players as just hitting poorly (same contact, less power) instead of applying a modifier to hit distance.

IE, the problem is the sim model.

Does it properly account for spit?

Apr 7, 2003

Mustached Demon posted:

Does it properly account for spit?

Not at all as far as I've seen, deadball / spitball era hitters just get lovely scores for power and that's it.

Kinda disappointing.

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

euphronius posted:

How much caffeine is in 48 oz of coffee per day.

I dunno but when I was on my psych rotations in med school and participating in shock therapy we would give patients like 2-300 mg caffeine to help induce seizures.

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

I hope they do and just fuckin blow the Dodgers out of the water in 2020

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Re: The Mariners in the playoffs, Felix is already in midseason form

https://twitter.com/RyanDivish/status/1098294075327864832/video/1

:negative:

Apr 7, 2003

euphronius posted:

How much caffeine is in 48 oz of coffee per day.

Rule of thumb appears to be 60 mg/8 oz cup

I've been drinking a 12 cup pot per day for nearly two decades, which comes out to 720g of caffeine every day, which explains a lot.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Shiroc posted:

Re: The Mariners in the playoffs, Felix is already in midseason form

https://twitter.com/RyanDivish/status/1098294075327864832/video/1

:negative:

oh good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006