Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

a neat cape posted:

Was prime Pujols better than prime Trout?

Carrying this over.

Prime Pujols was arguably 2003-2010: 334/433/635 - 177 OPS+ - 69.3 bWAR

Trout 2012-2018: 310/420/579 - 178 OPS+ - 63.8 bWAR

I think prime Trout is right now and I think he has ~4 years left of this. Trout's last 4 years offensively have been insane.

The thing with Pujols was that he never loving struck out. Trout is only 200 K's away from having Pujols' career K total. Pujols loved making contact. I think Trout's prime will be better when it's all done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

IcePhoenix posted:

My favorite part of this argument is that it uses a cumulative stat (bWAR) as an attempt to make Pujols look better, but Pujols has an extra year in the timeframes used.

Trout's average bWAR over this timeframe is 9.11 vs 8.66 for Pujols. It would go up to 8.81 if you took out 2010 to make it the same amount of years but then Pujols would have less cumulative bWAR (61.7).

I wasn't really arguing anything to make anyone look better. I was taking Pujols' absolute prime in terms of being great. Trout's still in his prime and could have 4 more years like he just had and he would undoubtedly have better numbers everywhere. I can't just add a random year that Trout doesn't have to make the bWAR even out. I even said Trout's prime is probably going to be better :shrug: (I guess I could have taken away Pujols' 2010 to even out the PA's, but he was MVP2 and led the league in four things and had a 7.5 bWAR, still clearly prime imo)

And I added the strikeout thing because it was interesting and that's definitely a product of him being "old school." He still has that same mentality. Hit it hard somewhere regardless of the shift. It's obviously not working for him, but he's like 90 years old.

Adding another random interesting thing (that probably has to do with park factors): Prime Pujols slugged .635. Trout hasn't hit that mark once.

How much money is Trout going to not make when he's an FA the year before the CBA runs out.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Not sure if anyone else is following it but the Cardinals FO is essentially blaming the CMart shoulder injury on CMart for possibly not following his offseason regimen. And now all the lovely fans are coming in and piling on with low effort, should be traded, too worried about hair, lazy comments. gently caress lovely fans. CMart owns.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Does Ty Cobb have the biggest gap between doubles and dingers? Probably.

zapplez posted:

The problem is you hear something like Top 4 all time CF by WAR. Which makes it seem like who had the greatest career or who was the best player.

But before the 50s, hell even before integration, it wasn't the same game at all.

Like we wouldn't keep the record for rushing yards if it was by someone who was playing american football when it was still played as rugby.

These arguments are dumb. Nobody is trying to actually compare some dude playing baseball in 2019 with some dude playing baseball in 1909. Ty Cobb was one of the greatest to ever play the game, because he absolutely dominated the game during his time period. Of course Ty Cobb would suck in the year 2019. It's 100 years of technological advancement (and as you mentioned, allowing all races to play the game).

Thom P. Tiers fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Feb 21, 2019

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Miz Kriss posted:

Bowling has the same rules and equipment, and even mixed leagues! I’ve never seen a woman lug a 16lb ball, but I’m sure it’s possible (mine’s 12 or 13lbs).

I think curling might be the same (the Olympics at least has mixed doubles), but I’m not as familiar with curling as I am with bowling.

Women/men bowl in mixed leagues for sure and use the exact same equipment. Mixed doubles tournaments happen a lot as well at the lower levels.

Unfortunately they don't compete against each other at high levels as they have separate tours, PBA and PWBA. But they do both compete on difficult sport shot oil patterns and use the same 14/15/16 pound balls.

The USBC Open Championships (the highest level amateur tournament that has been around forever) has no restrictions on men/women. Everyone competes on the same ridiculous pattern with the same equipment. There are divisions, but that is based on how good you are, and there are certainly women in the top division.

Thom P. Tiers fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Feb 26, 2019

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Arenado got paid before Bryce :D

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

NiceGuy posted:

Well in that case let's tack an extra .100 on at the end for funsies!!

Yeah I get ballpark effects dude, it doesn't change the final statline and he's still going to be playing in those parks.

Sorry about the 'lmao', I wasn't even trying to be overly derisive but whatevs

Name the players since 2015 with 2400 PA's, 130 OPS+, and 25+ bWAR.

(It's a very good and small list of players, and Arenado is at 129 OPS+)

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

NiceGuy posted:

It's not the sum of who he is as a player, no. I didn't realize I had to specifically say that when addressing the very real concern of giving a quarter of a billion dollars someone that could wind up being a league-average hitter for half of his ABs. You got me.

Good thing his floor for half of his games is a league average hitter with elite defense and his floor for the other half of his games is best hitter in the NL with elite defense.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

NiceGuy posted:

edit: cmon not even a funny avatar, lame

I laughed. And I would have loved my team to pay Arenado a ton of money to play baseball.

NiceGuy posted:

Name the players since 2015 with a 250+ million dollar extension and a .776 away OPS

(there is no list)

Manny Machado got 300m for a worse away OPS :D

Sorry for everyone piling on you here, but Arenado is a super valuable player and he's worth a lot of money. His last four year away OPS is like .830 or something. His first two seasons his away OPS was like .700.

Also, I brought up that list to reflect durability (PA's), park adjusted offense (OPS+), and general overall value (bWAR). These are valuable things that front offices look at when doling out $250m. Not just "but your away OPS sir"

Thom P. Tiers fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Feb 26, 2019

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Pancakes posted:

Bench bat, backup for if Ozuna isn’t healthy to begin the season given his shoulder problems, great clubhouse guy by all accounts.

Anyone with an Athletic account should read the blurb about his contract. It was nice.

I wish they would have given him more, like 2/6, but yea it was a very nice thing to do that most just wouldn't care about.

Also he's essentially the 4th OF and should absolutely get decent playing time imo, especially when Fowler is bad again (I love Fowler but they are expecting the world out of him and Jose hits 310/370/470). He got almost 600 PA's last year.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Lost Season posted:

Nah, Pedroia was never really the face of the franchise. Ortiz was the face right up until he retired, and by the time he did Mookie was cranking out MVP-caliber seasons.

MVP-1 and ESPN would like to disagree with you :v:

http://www.espn.com/mlb/photos/gallery/_/id/7698420/image/20/dustin-pedroia-face-franchise

(I agree with you it was Ortiz, but Pedroia was really good for the Sox for a solid 10 years and only played for them, won RoY with them, drafted by them... etc)

Thom P. Tiers fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Feb 26, 2019

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Pancakes posted:

Spring training and all, but Waino perfect through 2 innings on 23 pitches makes me happy. I like Waino.

Imagine if this year he continued where he left off those 28 innings in 2015 before he died...

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Haha, I legit just googled "Dustin Pedroia face of the franchise" and came across that.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/photos/gallery/_/id/7698420/image/2/ozzie-guillen-face-franchise

:D

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Pancakes posted:

I was at the game in Milwaukee when he died.

Cheers to this part, I was too :smith:

More Coors Field Arenado (LeMahieu) chat:

https://www.mlb.com/yankees/news/dj-lemahieu-leaves-coors-field-for-the-bronx/c-302622392

Not sure if this was posted in the slew of posts we got today, but a good analysis of other possible factors.

Thom P. Tiers fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Feb 26, 2019

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Traxis posted:

People that think baseball is boring are still going to think it is boring whether the games are 2.5 hours or 3.5 hours, this effort seems like a totally pointless exercise.

I keep saying this same exact thing every single time they try to make dumb changes to this perfect game.

A vocal amount of SPORTS FANS think baseball is boring as poo poo, and that's fine. They can watch the other sports. Making the game last 2.5 hours isn't going to change anyone's mind on the boring factor. :shrug:

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

triple sulk posted:

Hot take, but I wouldn't want to sign a guy to an insane contract who only cares about the money and doesn't actually believe in and/or want to play for your team.

He also isn't worth $350+ million dollars or whatever stupid number he wants.

This is indeed a very hot take considering he played the first 6 years of his career at an elite level for a grand total of $25m.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

GalacticAcid posted:

"Pace of play" and "length of game" aren't the same thing.

Even if it only shaves a couple minutes off the overall length of the game, keeping things moving by making batters stay in the box is Good, imo.

I don't disagree but I really don't think it's going to suddenly reel in a bunch of new fans like they think it is and I feel this is the reason they are doing it.

Shaving 5-10 seconds off the average time in between the pitch isn't making the game more exciting. Having a 3 batter minimum doesn't do that either.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Ban the shift and put a dot where players have to stand --> create more web gems --> turn Albert Pujols into a machine again.

I don't think I agree with any of these things, but some people *do* think banning the shift would create more defensive plays and more balls in play which does maybe have merit? I really, really like the defensive statcast stuff where they show how far a guy runs to make a play and the star rating for how difficult it was.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
That tweet made me remember they took away the dinger machine loving jeter.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

chilihead posted:

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/25603879/baseball-lebron-how-were-right-wrong-330m-man-bryce-harper

Wow, love it when i am crucified for having an opinion that shows up on ESPN the next day.

This is the exact reason you were crucified. That article is trash.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Inspector_666 posted:

Miller is saying the comparison was dumb to begin with but also chilihead's post implied that LeBron didn't go to Cleveland and succeed wildly so I dunno what the gently caress.

also comparing sports stars in different sports is dumb as hell

TROUT IS THE MESSI OF BASEBALL

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

bawfuls posted:

I see you say that all absolute monarchs are bad, hrmmm very interesting, do you ALSO think it's ok to lump every ginger together and call them bad???

Where exactly are we going here?

In baseball news, I want my team to sign Kimbrel but I don't want to give him 6 years. In even more news: my team won't even think about signing Kimbrel.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
36 year old Matt Holliday had a 0.3 bWAR and 107 OPS+ with the Cardinals and then the Yankees gave 37 year old Matt Holliday 13 million dollars to play one year.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

GalacticAcid posted:

Yep, that's who I most fear will pull the trigger - though I could see the Cards making a play as well with Carlos Martinez dealing with his injury.

They have a never-ending supply of starting pitchers with stupid names you've never heard of in the minors c'mon you know this.

https://twitter.com/dgoold/status/1101145891006746624

Thom P. Tiers fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Mar 1, 2019

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Tom Gorman posted:

Bertrand Pramrod or Amos Moustachio

Lol.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Jordan Hicks has 7 strikeouts and has registered 6 outs this spring :v:

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
My big beefy Canadian friend Tyler O'Neill has four hits this spring. They are all dingers. :getin:

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

The Pussy Boss posted:

I'm a big hall guy but I don't think Sabathia quite makes the cut. Too many seasons with an ERA over 4

I kind of agree with this but he's going to hit the 3,000 counting milestone... I dunno.

250 WINS along with 3,000 K's, a CYA-1 and his 2006-2012 seven year prime was really drat good. I think he gets in.

Thom P. Tiers fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Mar 7, 2019

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
I can't believe Greinke has been around since 2004.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

bawfuls posted:

Not a Hall of Famer. If he gets in (and he may) it will be 100% fueled by narrative like Jack Morris. By the numbers he doesn't measure up.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/leaders/jaws_C.shtml

After 15 years in the league, Yadi is 26th among catchers by JAWS. This is one spot above Campanella who only played 10 years because of segregation and had a much higher peak (not to mention 3x MVP), two spots above Russell Martin.

Yadi's WAR7 (7 year peak) is only 28.6, compared to 34.4 average of HoF catchers. His total WAR is 38.9, compared to 53.5 for the catching HoF average.

By more traditional stats, he's only at 1850 hits, 146 HR, a career OPS+ of 99.

Yadi's HoF narrative rests on defense, but the recent precedent for this is Pudge, who also trounces him on offense (106 OPS+ over 21 seasons, 2844 H, 311 HR).

He's the single greatest defensive catcher in the history of the game and he is 100% getting in you fool.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

bawfuls posted:

ok but like, Posey has done it in 10 years (really 9) while it's taken Yadi 15 to reach those numbers

By all means love your boy, but he does not measure up. There are still legions of boomer Dodger fans unhappy that Steve Garvey isn't in the Hall, but he's never getting in.

Steve Garvey was not a generational defensive talent at the most difficult defensive position.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Spring Break My Heart posted:

Lester wasn't even playing in the pros in 2004, what made up curse did the 2013 team break.

They won in 2007 but yea you are correct on the 2004 actual "curse" part.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

R.D. Mangles posted:

put lackey in the hall of fame only so we can have a discussion about whether the plaque would use his pre- or post-cubs teeth

Only if his plaque can be a digital plaque with gently caress.gif :v:

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

AlbertFlasher posted:

Anyone going to opening day this year? Is it worth it? I have never been to one but I thought that I might this year.

I think it depends on where you go. Brewers opening day is essentially a drunk fest in a parking lot where everyone binge drinks. It's fun... but it's just an enormous college type party.

I can't speak for other opening days.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

The Pussy Boss posted:

Yes, in Orange County.

Wait, do you think the "LA Angels" play in Los Angeles? They might have dropped the "of Anaheim" but they still play there.

Anaheim is like 45 minutes away from LA and definitely apart of the LA metro area. It's a pretty valid question.

The stadiums are 30 miles apart :shrug: (In LA travel time that's probably a full day or something but still, pretty close!)

Thom P. Tiers fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Mar 8, 2019

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

The Pussy Boss posted:

I just think it's funny how the Angels have rebranded themselves as an LA team.

I agree with you on that part.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

ALFbrot posted:

Just lol if you don't still break out a bead of cold sweat every time you hear "Zach Greinke" and picture a 55-mph curve in MVP 2005

Speaking of have we discussed this yet:

https://twitter.com/PitcherList/status/1103757958645714946/photo/1

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
It was only a matter of time before it was official, but Mike Moustakas is the starting 2B for the Brewers.

https://twitter.com/JakeLake720/status/1105157352158908418

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

WaryWarren posted:

Screw the other teams.

White Sox always have dope food. Behold, the Daniel Palka Failure Platter. Pancakes, I challenge you to an eating contest.

https://twitter.com/MLByahoosports/status/1105127897256275968

That kielbasa platter looks amazing and I would eat it, but it's probably like $25 or something stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
62% of Gallo's hits the last two seasons are doubles or dingers.