Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Awwwwwww poo poo son.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

NOW SIGN HARPER YOU FUCKSTICKS

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Inspector_666 posted:

N: https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1098271705917739008

V: I hope this means the Padres did the dang thing with Harper too.

Nah, he was doing Elmo impersonations on Le Batard this morning.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

mentholmoose posted:

The Nats $300 million offer to Harper apparently contained $100 mill of deferred money, sure sounds like Harper going back to the Nationals is not even close to happening anymore.

https://www.mlb.com/news/bryce-harper-remains-in-phillies-plans

I dunno about you, but I'd take deferred money personally. More money in the long run? Seems more financially sound to me.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

You have to take all the money that they can make from investments and interest into account too. There's a reason why everyone takes the lump sum option when they win the Megamillions.

You get more money with the annuity though in the long run? The lump sum is a (significant) fraction of total winnings, and at least with the annuity you have more money coming.

Anyway, content:
https://twitter.com/LeBatardShow/status/1098387811818967040?s=19

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Goodpancakes posted:

It depends. The lump sum is more money in theory but that is discounting human behavior. The annuity makes it more likely you remain rich longer as a hedge against behavior.

This is my reasoning

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

PAGING INTRUDER:
https://twitter.com/sporkboot/status/1098790639406325760

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Intruder posted:

Votto is an alien

he's from canada

:golfclap:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Women's hockey and checking is a weird thing. It was allowed at the international level, and then Canada played Japan once while it was still legal.

It was a bloodbath, both metaphorically and literally.

The IIHF banned it because the two North American teams were used to it, and hasn't allowed it since. Canada and US are constantly petitioning the IIHF to allow it again, but only for their games. They get "no" back every time.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

GalacticAcid posted:

Oh man. 23 years old apparently.

Poor guy.

:smith:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

My thoughts on the DH:

I don't like it because a couple reasons: pitcher dingers being one of the big ones, but it adds another layer of strategy to the game. Requiring a universal DH can help ease stress on pitchers, but you're also simplifying the game for ~reasons~.

Oh and gently caress the pitch clock.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Sydin posted:

I'm lukewarm on the pitch clock. I don't think it's needed but that's because I don't think it'd really change my enjoyment of the game one way or another. As has already been pointed out the clock has been in use in the minors for a while, so all the young guys have already picked up habits as a result of it. It's really just vets now who haven't had to quicken their pace at some point. Wait a couple years for even more young pitchers who've had the clock's pace ingrained in their habits to be injected into the majors and you'll probably see a sizeable chunk of the pace benefits having a clock in the majors would bring without actually needing it.

There's also this. I think if umpires cut back on batters calling time all the time (like you're allowed one timeout per at bat, any more barring extenuating circumstances is an automatic strike), and the pace of play will pick up.

Though my enjoyment of baseball has vastly improved by realizing it's a casual affair.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I hate each and every one of you

I changed it once on my phone and it's rear end to try to change it again so that's the delay

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

It's back now! And splits time with the other logo which isn't bad but isn't as good

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

This but unironically.

Also gently caress the cards.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

13 years? :popeye:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Meanwhile, in Milwaukee:

Brent Suter has a campaign called "Strike Out Waste", trying to get people to use reusable containers vs disposable ones. I approve :unsmith:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

R.D. Mangles posted:

does anyone actual buy the gigantic gross novelty food?

I would

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Intruder posted:

Ever since I played Breath of the Wild, whenever I see that gif I think of that "hup hup hup" sound yiga clan dudes make when they see bananas

Can't unhear.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Patrick Spens posted:

The CFL has reviewable pass interference and that's the worst.

Technically so does the NFL.

You can challenge that the ball was tipped at the line of scrimmage, and if it was, there's no more pass interference because the pass has been 'completed' in the eyes of the rule.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Popete posted:

Absolutely.

Who else is in?

Maybe

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Pancakes posted:

I can sweeten the pot with a certain hat if you don't already have one...

It's more me getting off than that

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Greatest play in football, period

after Starr's sneak

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Popete posted:

Chicagoon meet

Chicago Dogs season doesn't start until mid April and we'll probably wait to do a game when the weather is nicer. I'll post a thread when we get further into the season and we'll figure out how we wanna do it (group tickets, an inclusive food/drink deal etc.) including possible ride sharing.

Fair warning I am trying to move out of the area (well, out of Wisconsin), but that being said, following days are out:
-May 26th
-June 9th
-August 11th

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Popete posted:

Repost this when I make the thread and we should be able to work around those dates.

Sounds good!

Hell yeah

e: holy poo poo he probably would be able to easily afford one. The entire NEXRAD installation project for 122 radars was 3.1B (in 1988 dollars, I believe). That's 25.4 million each. Even with inflation he'd be able to buy a one wholesale.

iospace fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Mar 19, 2019

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Sydin posted:

"Also I demand the Angels pay for 30 seconds of commercial time per game for me to provide a daily weather update from the dugout."

:hellyeah:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Good Dog posted:

Which is a good thing and also true for 99% of other non-basketball athletes.

Eh, football as well. Most baseball and hockey players, a few exceptions aside, tend to have personalities stamped out.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

:bisonyes:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

If he doesn't get 100% of the vote now that someone else has gotten it, there's no justice in this world.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Goodbye, Ichiro :sadwave:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

RCarr posted:

Did Ichiro officially retire?

Yup, he's done now. :smith:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

gently caress.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

bawfuls posted:

a decade on this dead gay forum and THIS is the first avy someone buys me?

:flaccid:

I'm more bummed about losing the perfect Puigatar than anything else. Now you've forced me to pick a new Dodger.

Why pick a Dodger when there's a perfectly good player on the Reds to use!

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Inspector_666 posted:

Chacin will be the Opening Day starter when Jhoulys expect it.

:golfclap:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Popete posted:

More of this in the regular season please.

Only if he chucks it into the dugout.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Ichiro approves

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Just when you think the Mets couldn't get more Mets, they do.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Popete posted:

This photo sums up my (foreground) cat and my girlfriends (bathtub) cat relationship. My cat innocently oblivious to the impending doom watching him from afar.

Is that a munchkin cat?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Inspector_666 posted:

The Mets have a loving AAA team and ballpark in Syracuse what the gently caress are they doing.

Isn't Syracuse still buried in snow this time of year?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

It's you